Community Team update – 18-07-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from July 18 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC.

Deputy updates

As usual, Community Team members are busy doing Meetup and WordCamp application vetting, having organiser orientations, mentoring, organising events, replying to Help Scout tickets and helping organisers in general. Team and it’s members have no blockers with their work,

Ongoing discussions

WordCamp PWA Retrospective
Leading up to WordCamp Europe, the organising team enchanted the wordpress.org to be progressive web application (PWA). The PWA was deployed right before WordCamp Europe 2019 and was tweaked during the event. Key feature of this version was offline mode and custom “Day of event” frontpage that showed real-time schedule to visitors. We are now gathering feedback how PWA development process went.

Proposal: QR code for WordCamp badges
@casiepa has put together proposal on adding QR codes to WordCamp badges. Proposal is to send QR code to attendee after buying the ticket. That would make checking the attendee as arrived whole lot easier, allow easy on-site badge printing, t-shirt size check and possibly printing the code to badge for sponsors to scan. Discussion about this proposal is ongoing in the post comments.

Announcement: guidelines for using Trello
Community Team started a test phase for using Trello to organise its “big picture” work as a tool for general project management. The test phase will continue to the end of 2019 and team will evaluate pros and cons at the end of the year.

Call for volunteers: Handbook Working Group
Community Team started efforts to audit, rework and move content from P2 to our handbooks. @francinca has posted about forming working group and invitation to volunteer in it is open.

Numbers

For a long time, Community Team didn’t provide numbers from its work. This update is to change it.

Numbers below are for two weeks before the Community Team meeting on 18-07-2019, as team meetings are bi-weekly and that sets the reporting interim to two weeks. In next update, our numbers will also indicate the change.

#community, #community-team +make.wordpress.org/community

Community Team Update – 11 July 2019

Thanks to @sippis for getting us back in gear with posting Community Team updates on here – he put this post together, but doesn’t yet have author permissions on this P2, so I’m the one publishing it.

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from July 4: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy updates:

We are busy bees as usual 🐝

Community Team members have done Meetup and WordCamp vetting, organiser orientations, mentoring, organising events, replying to HelpScout tickets. No blockers. For future updates, we plan on providing actual numbers for these items.

Ongoing dicsussions:

WordCamp Europe 2019 – Recap of Community Team Activities At Contributor Day + Plans for the Future
We made a lot of progress in Berlin – how do we keep the momentum going? We don’t want things to die after Contributor Day. We talked about how our team needs a bit more steering and tools for long-term project management and settled giving a Trello a real try. @francina and @sippis are working with getting started with Trello.

How can we better reach our community organizers
There have been some concerns raised with staying in touch with our community organizers, specifically meetup organizers. How to better reach our community organizers, not just with the survey, but the monthly meetup newsletters?

Additional posts worth highlighting:

WordCamp Asia:

@nao is writing a post about the vision for WordCamp Asia and it’s coming soon. During the writing of that, it has been recognised that our WordCamp handbooks do not cover all the details or work well for regional WordCamps. Maybe worth making some documentation targeted for regional WordCamps? Could WCEU handbook be used as a base?

Diverse Speaker Training group:

Held first training of the reboot of the group last week, and is going to start doing 1-2 a month for the next few months before ramping up. Working group is starting to translate their content with the help of Polyglots team, they are also improving their workshop materials and internal processes.

Chat recaps and make/updates:

We discussed how our team has failed to provide chat recaps and updates to make/updates P2 and how to revitalize that. We agreed that updates should be made after every team chat. That means bi-weekly updates consisting of team chat recaps and also some other important details about how our team is doing.

For the first three months, @sippis and @hlashbrooke are responsible for making the updates here. After that, we are going to shift the responsibility to two other Community Team members for the next three months. Responsibility is intended to be rotating thing every three months with two persons, so we can be sure that someone will do the updates.

Updates will also contain some numbers from the Community Team. @sippis is working with boilerplate to speed up making update posts.

Team reps:

We haven’t changed our team reps for a long time. @kcristiano is going to write a post about starting the process for team rep change.

#community

Community Team Chats – January 17 2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from January 17: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Veeting, orienting, mentoring, organising. Everyone is busy, as usual and there are no blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Call for Volunteers: Kids Events Working Group

A new working group will start meeting to help WordCamps organise Kids Workshops by producing material readily available for local organisers. The group is going to have a call soon, if you are interested follow the post.

Meetup organizer newsletter suggestions for January 2019

As always we are looking for ideas to add to our monthly newsletter, if you want to highlight somethine please get in touch.

Paid Freelance Contributors: The idea of the Wapuu Program

We didn’t actually discuss this topic during the call, but there is a lively, ongoing and very interesting conversation going on in the comments. Please join in!

Who is going to WordCamp Nordic?

The team needs facilitators for the Community Table at Contributor Day. At least four experienced deputies will be there, so table is covered.

Community Summit in 2019?

The last Community Summit was in 2017, before WordCamp Europe.

Historically, Community Summit happens when we have problems that we can’t solve online. The event, as we’ve done it in the past, requires an invitation-only format, which introduces a pretty toxic element into our egalitarian and highly open group. It is traumatic to organize an invitation-only event in the WordPress project.

But what if we could re-imagine it as an event for vision and community building? Getting feedback first from the community is key.
We plan on postig in the Community blog ans start with some basic questions: “What does community summit mean to you? should we do one/do we need it? how should we handle invite-based or should it be done in a new way?”

Highlighted P2 posts

All deputies are invited to read the posts to keep up to date with the Community team and project activities, thanks!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – December 20 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 15: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy with the end of year. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Chat scheduling over End of Year Holidays

Proposed to skip the first chat of 2019, since it’s during Christmas holidays for a large part of Contributors. We will start again on January 17.

WordCamp US 2018 Contributor Day Recap

The recap has all the details of the projects we worked on at WCUS. No discussion needed, but if someone wants to adopt a project and go on with it, please ping us in the Community Events channel and we will help you get started!

WordPress Governance Project Chats

During WordCamp US, a discussion was started about creating a Governance Project for WordPress. The team behind it asked to hold the chat in the Community Team channels. Initially we said yes, but upon further discussion it was decided to move it to another Slack instance, since this is not an officially sanctioned WordPress.org project.

During the 20:00 UTC there was a lively discussion about Governance and the project itself, so if you are interested in knowing more start reading from here.

Highlighted P2 posts

WordCamp camera kit program discussion wrap up

Thanks for commenting and volunteering to send camera kits and make the experience better for the WordCamp organisers.

Open Floor

We have a big backlog of Meetup applications, we are constantly struggling to keep afloat. If you are a trained deputy and you can help, please do!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – December 6 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from December 06: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers. And not a lot of partecipation on this chat since a lot of people were at WCUS and on the same day WordPress 5.0 was launched! Live! From Nashville!

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Proposal to Increase the Total Expense per attendee
No discussion was held and there are few comments, will continue exploring options.

Discussion: Should we continue the WordCamp camera kit program?
Discussion was mostly held via comments on the post, resulting in a wrap up post with all the details on how to continue.

Meetup organizer newsletter suggestions for December
Thanks to all the people the commented.

Highlighted P2 posts

WCUS 2018 is here! Community Team Plans for Contributor Day
Will you attend WCUS Contributor Day? In person or via Slack? Here is what we aim to work on.

WordPress meetup organizer newsletter: November 2018
While we prepare December newsletter, catchup with November’s edition

WordCamp Incubator 2018 Update Thread: November edition
Updates on the Incubator program.

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – November 15 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 15: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

WordCamp US 2018 – Get Involved Table

As always we are going to have a Get Involved table at WordCamp US. Thank you to the wonderful people that volunteered to staff it.

WordCamp Blocks: Round 1 Designs

The first round of designs is here! People offered to help and design is undergoing.

Discussion: Logos in WordCamp Videos

Quite a few people commented, so we reached a decision.

Sponsor logos at the venue (banners, podium, etc.) that are captured on video are fine to leave in and we don’t need to make a rule that organisers must remove banners from the stage.

Speakers are allowed to include their company logo in their slides, but only in an optional opening/closing informational slide and not throughout the presentation. This is fine even if their company is not a sponsor of the event.

Similarly, a speaker can wear clothing with their company logo on it, even if their company is not a sponsor.

No company logos of any kind are to be added in post-production.

Proposed 2019 Global Community Sponsorship Program

The Global Community Sponsorship working group has made a proposal, we gathered some comments and held office hours for companies that were considering becoming global sponsors. The new program and the sponsors have been announced on the Community Blog.

Highlighted P2 posts

Increase in WordCamp maximum ticket price for 2019

After a thoughtful discussion earlier this year, from 2019 the maximum ticket price for WordCamps will be $25/pp/day: this is the maximum price and organisers can charge less.

Reminder: Over the years we’ve kept allowing costs to rise for events as the economy dictates. This ticket cost is us catching up to what folks are spending. Not an indicator that we should spend more 🙂

WordCamp Incubator 2018 Update Thread: October edition

If you want to know more about how the Incubator Program read the comments!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – November 01 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 1st: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Should WordCamp Websites Publish Sponsor-Provided Content?

The idea is to get the info from the community that might help us form a strategy around the issue. So far we have collected important feedback, comments are still open if you want to weigh in! As a reminder, we’re a consensus-seeking group, but not consensus-dependent.

WordCamp US 2018 – Community Team Plans – Will you be there? Is there something that you would like to work on (listed or not?) Please let us know!

Managing Online Classes – The Diversity Outreach Training team is looking for input on tools. They are looking for a more automated system for people to sign up for our classes and then receive reminders. Do you know of a tool that can help with that? Comment on the post!

Progressive Web App for WordCamps – Expanding the scope of the PWA created for WordCamp Europe 2018. What features should be there? We depend on our diverse team to help us identify all sorts of use cases!

There is an ongoing series about transforming WordCamp website shortcodes into Gutenberg blocks, and we are collecting feedback:

Highlighted P2 posts

Open Floor

We held our first WordCamp organisers chat on October 25th. It would be great to have it twice a month, so we can accomodate different timezones.

You can read the recap of the chat here and in the next few days a call for volunteers will go out, to find organisers for the Americas-friendly chat.

The UK community have started a sustainability document with ideas of how to improve sustainability at WordCamps and meetups, they will share their working document with us on the Community blog.

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – October 18 2018

(Note: We made it! This is the last chat we had in the backlog and now the Community Team is all caught up with recaps.)

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from October 18th: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Should WordCamp Websites Publish Sponsor-Provided Content?

The post was published after last month discussion. There are quite a lot of comments right now, with different points of view. We discussed this at length also during the chat but we haven’t reached a conclusion yet. Main points brought up:

  • Sponsors want ROI and branded content could help out
  • Added burden for organisers in terms of editorial control
  • Sponsor interviews instead of sponsored posts
  • We should have guidelines and make this absolutely optional
  • We all want to set up sponsors for success, and content that seems like “paid content” isn’t going to help them (or WordCamp) much at all
  • We could write a page for sponsors, to help them understand what kind of approach is most effective with our audience
  • People might think less of the event because of the sponsored posts

Conversation is ongoing if you want to add your opinion!

Meetup organizer newsletter suggestions for October?

We are accepting ideas for what should go in the next newsletter for Meetup organisers. One point raised: content shouldn’t be behind a wall (no need to sign-up to get the content).

WordCamp US 2018 – Community Team Plans

We are less than two months away from WordCamp US: what should the team work on in Nashville? Let us know 🙂

Converting WordCamp Shortcodes to Gutenberg Blocks 

With the imminent release of Gutenberg, the Meta WordCamp team is planning to convert the WordCamp shortcodes into blocks and we need WordCamp organisers feedback!

Call for Volunteers: 2019 Global Sponsorship Working Group

It’s that time of the year! We are working on the new package for Global Sponsors. People were asked if they wanted to volunteer for this and we now have a team who is working on assessing the situation and propose changes, if needed. It’s a fun group full of spreadsheets and speculation 🙂

Contributor Day Handbook

If you have any ideas how we can make this better, please reply to the thread. 

How can we handle toxic community members.

A group is working on the Community Code of Conduct and it will also address unacceptable behaviour in the online space. It was remarked though that toxicity can be very pervasive without breaking any rules.

One resource that can be helpful if folks are struggling with conflict in their communities: https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/guide-to-calling-in/

Drupal Community Governance Initiative

Is this something we should explore in WordPress?

Highlighted P2 posts

Announcement: monthly chat for WordCamp organisers

Bulk Ticket Purchasing

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – October 4, 2018

(Note: I am almost done posting four months of chats after a period of inactivity. Unfortunately we couldn’t find anyone in the team to do this task, so bear with me while I update everything!)

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from October 4th: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Even busier when the Automatticians are not around 🙂

P2 posts needing review/feedback

This month was quite light in terms of discussion, so we focused again on two posts that were already brought on September 20th Chat

Proposal to Increase the Maximum Ticket Price for WordCamps
Note that we are not telling WordCamps to increase their ticket prices, but we are having a (long) conversation about the possibility to raise the maximum possible price that would be allowed to go for if they need to. 
All Camps are still encouraged to make their prices as affordable as possible.

Most of commenters are up for 5 $/€ increase and emphasize the importance of sponsors – which are bit hard to find for some camps. We maybe should focus and have some effort on how to help camps find sponsors easier.

Input Requested: “Building A Diverse Speaker Roster” Document
The Diversity Outreach Speaker Training group created a document for WordPress Meetups and WordCamps about Building A Diverse Speaker Roster and they need our input.

Highlighted P2 posts

Open Floor

The issue of branded content from sponsors in WordCamps website was brought up: there are some concerns about the marketing nature of the posts. A post will be published on the Community Team blog to discuss the matter.

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – September 20 2018

(Note: I am almost done posting four months of chats after a period of inactivity. Unfortunately we couldn’t find anyone in the team to do this task, so bear with me while I update everything!)

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from September 20: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

All good, busy with tons of applications and we are trying to catch up with those!

P2 posts needing feedback/action

Proposal to Increase the Maximum Ticket Price for WordCamps
Note that we are not telling WordCamps to increase their ticket prices, but we are having a (long) conversation about the possibility to raise the maximum possible price that would be allowed to go for if they need to.
All Camps are still encouraged to make their prices as affordable as possible

Input Requested: “Building A Diverse Speaker Roster” Document
The Diversity Outreach Speaker Training group created a document for WordPress Meetups and WordCamps about Building A Diverse Speaker Roster and they need our input. 

Announcements/Updates/Highlighted posts

#community, #community-team