Have you ever wanted to have an event for kids in your community but were not sure where to start? I have been there too.
Did you know that there’s a solution for this? There’s no one perfect solution, but a group of people with experience planning kids events want to share this information with you: from events within your WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. to stand-alone kids events.
Our goal is to help prepare others for the creation and implementation of these amazing programs. Through lesson plans, schedules, and teaching methods, together we can create a path for anyone that wants to teach kids the value of a blog.
Where do you come in?
We’d like to form a working group of passionate individuals that want to help further the growth of kids events through the creation of documentation, lesson plans, projects, and resources to help guide and direct those who have little to no expertise or knowledge about educating kids. This material can then be distributed to anyone who wants to start these programs in their communities. Because planning events for kids can pose unique challenges, we want to create and maintain helpful and accurate documentation, so that any WordPress community organizer can plan a safe, fun, and effective event for kids.
Interested in joining this Kids Event working group? Together we will: (each item is optional)
- Create a Process for Documentation
- Create KidsCamp Documentation
- Create Kids Workshop Documentation
- Create Kids Club Documentation
- Create Volunteer Guides
- Create Legal Document Repo
- Create Supplies List with Amazon Smile Links (to benefit WordPress Foundation The WordPress Foundation is a charitable organization founded by Matt Mullenweg to further the mission of the WordPress open source project: to democratize publishing through Open Source, GPL software. Find more on wordpressfoundation.org.)
- Create a Guide for Marketing Kids Events to Schools
Currently this effort is being mostly lead by myself and a few others, but the goal is to recruit a group to take long-term leadership in achieving the above goals. I’m available to spend about 1 year training folks and then hope to pass this on, though that is flexible. Even after that time, I will always be available to answer questions and provide support.
Estimated time commitment:
- A bi-weekly group chat: 30 minutes every 2 weeks
- 1 or more hours per month contributing to the above goals (writing documentation, working on the legal document repo, creating a supplies list, etc)
If you’d like to take part in this working group please comment on this post. I will then reach out to interested folks, to find a good time for biweekly meetings. Other people can join in any time after that as well. If you have questions, please also feel free to comment on the post. I look forward to working with you and together creating something wonderful!