Recap of WordCamp.org ticket scrub on November 21st

It was the first ticket scrub in a month, and we had a bit of a backlog.

#3117-meta

The scope of this ticket has evolved to basically be a rewrite of the `schedule` shortcode to use CSS Grid instead of HTML tables. @mrwweb has done some excellent work to put together a prototype, and he’s looking for feedback, especially around a11y (+make.wordpress.org/accessibility). We also discussed if/how to add a field to each session to specify either the duration of the session or the ending time. Between the two, there was a slight preference for duration, though it was also noted that it would be best if the field was optional, and the schedule logic could guess the end time based on the start time of the next session.

#2992-meta

@casiepa is making progress on this ticket, and will post implementation questions to the ticket soon.

#3259-meta

We discussed the best alternative approach to distinguishing email subject lines and landed on adding the feedback post’s post ID to the end of the string. @casiepa is working on a patch.

#2907-meta

@sergeybiryukov will work on reviewing the current patch for security. @coreymckrill will do some functionality testing. Hopefully this one can be merged and closed before WordCamp US.

There was also a brief discussion of some improvements to the Meta Environment made recently by @grapplerulrich and @ocean90

The next WordCamp.org Ticket Scrub meeting will be in two weeks, 2017-12-05 19:00 UTC, in #meta-wordcamp.

#recap #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

#2907-meta, #2992-meta, #3117-meta, #3259-meta

Agenda for WordCamp.org ticket scrub on November 7th

Update: This meeting was postponed due to confusion around daylight savings time changes. We will use this agenda for the next meeting on 2017-11-21 19:00 UTC.


This bi-weekly WordCamp.org ticket scrub will happen on 2017-11-07 19:00 UTC in #meta-wordcamp.

The focus is on Meta tickets with the WordCamp Site & Plugins component.

Assigned ticket followup

Anything ready for review? Blockers we can help remove? cc @miss_jwo @SergeyBiryukov @DrewAPicture @Kenshino @kau-boy @RMarks

Tickets that are both high priority and `good-first-bug`

Other items?

Comment below if there’s any other ticket or topic you’d like to discuss.

#agenda #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

+make.wordpress.org/community

#2907-meta, #2992-meta, #3241-meta

Recap of WordCamp.org ticket scrub on October 24th

We discussed these tickets:

  • #1794 – The approach discussed in the ticket sounds good and should move forward. @kenshino is working on a patch.
  • #2501 – We decided that it wasn’t a good idea to switch to an `npm` module, because that brings a lot of complexity around dependency maintenance and security. Instead, we can just fix the small issue that exists in the current code. If anyone is looking to learn React, this ticket would be a good start.
  • #3035 – The new taxonomy sounds good. @kau-boy is working on a patch.
  • #3199 – The patch here looks good and was committed after the meeting.
  • #2907 – This one is in good shape, and is ready for a security review. @sergeybiryukov is going to look into that.
  • #859 – The patch here looks good and was committed after the meeting.
  • #3190 – The patch here looks good and was committed after the meeting. It probably doesn’t solve the problem, though. It looks like the problem might be fixed by manually setting the `From` header.

The next WordCamp.org Ticket Scrub meeting will be in two weeks, 2017-11-07 19:00 UTC, in the #meta-wordcamp channel.

#recap #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

Agenda for WordCamp.org ticket scrub on October 24th

This bi-weekly WordCamp.org ticket scrub will happen on 2017-10-24 19:00 UTC in #meta-wordcamp.

The focus is on Meta tickets with the WordCamp Site & Plugins component.

Specific tickets

Other items?

Comment below if there’s any other ticket or topic you’d like to discuss.

#agenda #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

+make.wordpress.org/community

#1794-meta, #2501-meta, #3035-meta

Recap of WordCamp.org ticket scrub on October 10th

Participants: @coreymckrill @grapplerulrich @kau-boy @sergeybiryukov

We focused on open tickets relating to WordCamp sessions and the schedule.

#3044-meta

We determined that this issue is a fairly obscure edge case, as it only affects WordCamp schedules when viewing them in iOS Safari while in Reader mode. A good solution to the issue was not immediately clear to the group. We decided to add a screenshot of the issue and downgrade its priority level for the time being.

#3111-meta

@Kau-Boy volunteered to take on this ticket, using an approach very similar to previous work done on the [sponsors] shortcode.

#3115-meta

This ticket was actually fixed with a patch for #1896-meta.

#3117-meta

We had some discussion about the best way to approach a solution for this ticket, but ultimately decided more information was needed first.

The next WordCamp.org Ticket Scrub meeting will be in two weeks, 2017-10-24 19:00 UTC, in #meta-wordcamp.

#recap #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

#1896-meta, #3044-meta, #3111-meta, #3115-meta, #3117-meta

Agenda for WordCamp.org ticket scrub on October 10th

This bi-weekly WordCamp.org ticket scrub will happen on 2017-10-10 19:00 UTC in #meta-wordcamp.

The focus is on Meta tickets that have the WordCamp Site & Plugins component.

Specific tickets

Here are several available tickets related to Sessions:

Other items?

Comment below if there’s any other ticket or topic you’d like to discuss.

#agenda #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

+make.wordpress.org/community

#3044-meta, #3111-meta, #3115-meta, #3117-meta

Recap of WordCamp.org ticket scrub on September 26th

Participants: @coreymckrill @grapplerulrich @miss_jwo @kau-boy @ryelle @sergeybiryukov

We started off by discussing some strategies for managing WordCamp tickets in Meta Trac. Historically, when new tickets have been created, an admin such as @iandunn or @coreymckrill has reviewed the ticket and “accepted” it as a way of marking it as a valid issue. The side effect of this has been that they are then “assigned” to that ticket, even if they intend to leave it as a “good-first-bug” for someone else. A lack of clarity around the meaning of an “assigned” user on a ticket may cause some people to pass over tickets that are actually available to work on.

@coreymckrill proposed that instead of accepting a ticket, it should be left as “new”, but relevant keywords such as “needs-patch” and “good-first-bug” should still be added. Then when someone submits a patch or indicates that they want to work on a ticket, they can be assigned to it. This would have a couple of benefits:

  • Easier to see which tickets are not being worked on yet
  • Easier to follow up with a ticket assignee if nothing has happened on it for a while

The group had general agreement that this strategy would be worth trying. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a way in Trac to unassign a ticket and return it to “new” status, so this will only apply to new tickets going forward.

#2851-meta

This is an issue that @miss_jwo has personally experienced. She volunteered to work on a patch, so @coreymckrill officially “assigned” it to her 🙂 A bit more research also needs to be done to determine the exact conditions that cause the issue.

#3116-meta

The discussion here revolved around whether adding a heading parameter to each of the WordCamp CPT shortcodes is the best solution, as opposed to something like a feature flag (i.e. “all sites created after a certain date will show an H3 heading level instead of an H2”). The group decided on sort of a hybrid approach:

  • Add a new heading parameter that defaults to H2 for back-combat
  • Update the content in post/page stubs for new WordCamp sites so that the shortcodes include the heading parameter with the desired H3 specified.

@kau-boy volunteered to work on this ticket.

#3156-meta

Several of us learned why adding a separate singular placeholder translation is necessary for some languages. @coreymckrill will commit the patch and follow up with the submitter about some minor code styling issues.

The next WordCamp.org Ticket Scrub meeting will be in two weeks, 2017-10-10 19:00 UTC, in #meta-wordcamp.

#recap #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

#2851-meta, #3116-meta, #3156-meta

X-post: Gutenberg on WordCamp sites?

X-comment from +make.wordpress.org/community: Comment on Gutenberg on WordCamp sites?

Agenda for WordCamp.org ticket scrub on September 26th

This bi-weekly WordCamp.org ticket scrub will happen on 2017-09-26 19:00 UTC in #meta-wordcamp.

Specific tickets

Other items

  • Discuss ticket management
  • Continue going through the list of WordCamp-related good-first-bug tickets, review their status, and adjust status/keywords as necessary.

cc @sergeybiryukov @xkon @grapplerulrich @miss_jwo

#agenda #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

+make.wordpress.org/community

#2851-meta, #3116-meta

Recap of WordCamp.org ticket scrub on August 29th

I will be AFK on 2017-09-12, so the next WordCamp.org Ticket Scrub meeting will be in four weeks, 2017-09-26 19:00 UTC, in #meta-wordcamp.

Here is a summary of this week’s discussion:

Participants: @coreymckrill @sergeybiryukov @xkon

#859-meta

The latest patch from @grapplerulrich is ready to commit. @coreymckrill will add a slight wording tweak to it to clarify the Coming Soon notification:

Coming Soon mode is enabled. Site subscribers will not receive email notifications about published posts.

#1109-meta

After the last scrub, @iandunn provided some clarification about the functionality in the current patch for this ticket:

If we don’t create menus at all, then the layout often breaks because the custom CSS assumes that they’re there. It wouldn’t make sense to add links to missing pages, though, and there aren’t any pages on the destination site yet, so it seemed like creating menus with just a Home link was the best we could do.

… I wonder if we could copy over the menu items for links that do exist on the destination site? A lot of pages like Location, Contact, etc are pre-populated, so they’ll exist. We could just skip the pages that don’t exist.

We decided it would be best to pursue the additional functionality suggested by Ian before committing, so that the menus wouldn’t just contain a “Home” link, which could be just as confusing as a broken layout.

@coreymckrill will update the ticket to see if the patch author wants to try making the update.

#1751-meta

The patches provided by @kau-boy look good. @coreymckrill will do an additional round of local testing and then commit them, and then @kau-boy can update the handbook with documentation on the new shortcode attributes.

#2907-meta

This one has an extensive patch from @xkon that has already been tested successfully on wptranslationday.org. Since it involves remote requests, it just needs a security review before we merge it into the plugin.

@xkon also mentioned a fork of Tagregator that they built that is completely PHP-based instead of having a React component:

Social Mentions

#2218-meta, #3075-meta

These two tickets will enable more flexibility for the meetings functionality on Meta sites, which will allow us to include this meeting (since it is biweekly instead of every week)!

#recap #ticket-scrub #wordcamp

#1109-meta, #1751-meta, #2218-meta, #2907-meta, #3075-meta