This is the first updates post for the mobile team, and it’s a recap post for improvements made in the last 6 months. We will start posting standard weekly recap posts next week.
- Login: Just 1/3 of iOS users manage to authenticate after opening the app (2/3 on Android). This is a huge problem – causing 50% of support volume and various negative reviews.
- Media: Media is a differentiator for the app – it should be better as a native experience, but currently we’re not taking advantage of that.
- General app improvements: Improving some of the low hanging fruit – fixing some of the more glaring UX issues.
Visual Editor Team – Aztec
In the last 6 Months the team worked hard on creating an all-new editing experience for both iOS and Android. Previously we used a hybrid (webview) approach, that meant we had some intractable problems around spell checking, performance and accessibility. This approach is all-native. It’s a much faster, better experience, and will allow us to better support our visually impaired users (as well as making block editing much more possible down the road).
The new editor is almost ready for beta releases, it has been in the Alpha releases since mid-Feb, and the team is currently gathering feedback and fixing bugs for an open-beta in April.
Core team – FluxC
The team worked on a full rewrite of the entire Android networking and persistence stack.
The new library is available here, and it helps to connect and sync data from a WordPress site (self hosted, or wordpress.com site) There are various other less noticeable improvements, including improved performance (faster network calls = faster blogging on the go) and error messaging.
The new networking library was included in the 7.0 release candidate one.
The mobile core team is now working on fixing bugs found in 7.0 release candidates.
The team is defining the scope of the project, and performing user tests and evaluate the results. The scope of this project is increasing successful logins in the mobile apps.
Just 1/3 of iOS users manage to authenticate after opening the app (2/3 on Android). This is a huge problem – causing 50% of support volume and various negative reviews.
There are a lot of exciting things we can do on media. However to kick off, we’ve decided to tightly constrain the scope:
Android: Improve the UX.
iOS: Feature parity with Android.
Both: Improved error messaging and handling, and analytics.
The Android squad is working on hard on re-working the Media Library section of the app. A lot of code cleanup has been done, and we expect to see a lot of under the hood improvements in this week. The squad is also working on building the foundation for making the publishing experience async.
The iOS squad is adding a top level Media Library section to the app, to bring it in line with Android and the web. They’ve also been cleaning up some analytics and error handling code, as well as cleaning up and refactoring the existing media service layer of the app to prepare for async publishing.