Accessibility Lesson Plan(s)

Currently there is a lesson plan titled “Theme Accessibility” (https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/theme-school/theme-accessibility/). Upon initial testing of this lesson plan, feedback was received that indicated we should consider a user-oriented lesson and a theme-developer oriented lesson.

So the questions are: should there be two accessibility lesson plans, one for users and one for theme school? If so, what would they look like? If not, what would that look like?

Discuss. 🙂

Agenda for February 14, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Announcements and Questions

Did I miss something? Add it in the comments!

Recap of February 7, 2017 Meeting

Slack log (requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account).

Welcome

Lesson Plan Updates

  • @bethsoderberg had a friend reach out about a plan to work on and will suggest the enqueueing scripts plan, with @pbarthmaier on point to answer questions
  • A note from @chanthaboune to review on our current focus: “When we thought about what it meant to have lessons for a certain subset of plugins, we realized it was more of an endorsement than we first thought, so we put those on hold to focus on themes and will revisit it after that.”

Copyediting Updates

  • @bethsoderberg is continuing to move information to the new Trello board and has found tons of loose ends, but since this is an intensive process to go through our archival data will come back with a full list of loose ends once she’s gone through everything.
  • @skarjune has completed copyediting of Customizer: Taglines, is almost done with Building a Sitemap, and will move on to Widget Areas after that.

Testing Updates

  • @melindahelt is doing the accessibility plan tonight at the Pittsburgh meetup
  • @chanthaboune has continued to work with Hack the Hood on our next workshop with them and it’s looking like one might happen late in March or early in April

Edit Flow

  • @chanthaboune talked to the meta team about Edit Flow and when we last talked it was very much one of those things they don’t really have the bandwidth to add + maintain for our work. It was left with sort of an open-ended “but that’s not a never” sort of sentiment, so we left the discussion fairly open as well.
  • In general, we discussed it and came to the conflusion that we can’t have a plugin right now and need to move forward with other ways of streamlining our workflow.
  • @bethsoderberg is moving archival data into Trello as a next step towards making tracking of work easier. In the meantime, please continue to add updates to the spreadsheet. We’ll talk about it as a group when it’s time to send the spreadsheet out to pasture.

Team Description on Meta Site

  • @rocio from the Community Team and she is working with the Meta team on the redesign of the make.wordpress.org page and they need a shorter version of the team descriptions. They are using this as an opportunity to re-think and update those descriptions.
  • In our meeting we voted to approve the following description of our team: We create lesson plans for instructors to use in a live workshop environment.

Recap of January 31, 2017 Meeting

Slack log (requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account).
Welcome
Lesson Plan Updates

  • @Skarjune: “Customizer: Taglines” should be complete by EOD of meeting. Working on three other LP copy edits next week.
  • @Donkiely: Unable to make progress due to ambiguity of task. Will review Template Tour and remove red text and strike-throughs.

Discussion of Yearly Goals

  1. Content flow solution
  2. More solid copyediting process (ties into 1)
  3. Proper handbook (ties to 1 + 2)
  4. Outreach to local groups
  5. An accessibility workshop

It seemed generally agreed that considering Edit Flow as one solution and focusing on #1 are probably good ideas but no word on how long it will take to get Edit Flow appropriate sign offs. @bethsoderberg will talk to @chanthaboune when she is back online.

Trello to be an interim solution until Edit Flow (or something else is implemented.

Because of the enormity of the goals @bethsoderberg will write a post about what we know so far about each of our goals and then members can pick up the torch on the pieces they are interested in.

Recap of January 24, 2017 Meeting

Slack Log (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

Welcome

Lesson Plan Updates

Copyediting Updates

  • @donkiely will copyedit Templates and Woocommerce
  • @estes.chris believes Site Icons and Logos is copyedited already
  • @skarjune will edit Customer: taglines, Widget Areas, Building a sitemap
  • @danstramer will edit Help Regenerate Thumbnails
  • @bethsoderberg suggested Trello for tracking copyediting and will put together a draft list of status’s by next week’s meeting. Someday this might be replaced by Edit Flow
  • We had a discussion around the capitalization of code in titles. The consensus is if the snippet isn’t capitalized in the code, don’t capitalize it in the title of a plan.

Testing Updates

  • @melindahelt will test the theme accessibility plan in February
  • @estes.chris is training a client in content management in a week or so and will try to work in some beginner plans.
  • @skarjune is assembling a focus group for Getting Started training to start mid-Feb. in a weekly format with some professionals as students that could include: writer, art critic, entrepreneur, graphic designer, corporate trainer.

Recap of January 17, 2017 Meeting

Lesson Updates

Copyediting

  • @skarjune has written an excellent post about the style guide: https://make.wordpress.org/training/2017/01/17/lesson-plan-style-guide-and-glossary/

– Brief discussion about the MailChimp style guide and how it could be good inspiration.

  • @donkiely finished Custom Post Types and Content Editor Overview

– The html and php shortcodes aren’t working; @chanthaboune will ask if it’s the O2 upgrade that did it
– If they are broken, let’s use “pre”

Testing

  • @melindahelt is looking at the Theme Accessibility lesson for testing in February.

Goals Discussion
It boils down to a few distinct buckets of things. In no particular order:
1. Content flow solution
2. More solid copyediting process (ties into 1)
3. Proper handbook (ties to 1 + 2)
4. Outreach to local groups
5. An accessibility workshop

Let’s make a plan!

  • @bethsoderberg – In my mind 3 needs to come before 4 and pieces of 2 are going to need to come after 1. 5 requires a lot of research to start, so the actual production should happen later and research sooner.
  • @chanthaboune – I think there’s an extent to which we can do… setup for 1, creation of 3… and research for 5 in the first quarter or two of the year.
  • @melindahelt 5 is independent of the others. #4 – depends on type of outreach. If we (team members) are looking for local groups for us to present/test plans, then that can really happen almost any time. But if the goal of #4 would be sending people to our site, then yes, content needs to be better organized and ready

Actions

  • comment on that post with more thoughts on timing, then next week we can talk first steps for each piece?

Lesson Plan Style Guide and Glossary

The Training team is reviewing the status of the Lesson Plan Style Guide and how it’s used with lesson plans, and considering if a Glossary might be added. During the January 10, 2017 meeting, some concerns were raised:

@donkiely was concerned about grammar usage, such as while/although
@estes.chris mentioned Oxford commas (serial commas)
@pbarthmaier mentioned post vs Post and page vs Page
@juliekuehl said that “We’ve avoided using one of the major style guides and have worked out our own.”
@chanthaboune indicated that @bethsoderberg keeps the styleguide current.
@donkiely has noticed: I’ve spotted several places where existing lessons and placeholders don’t comply with the style guide.”
@donkiely asked “So the main question is, too heavy handed? Or, too subtle to worry about?”
@chanthaboune said: “I’m of two minds about it. On the one hand, if it’s going to help with understanding, that’s important. But on the other, these aren’t word-for-word scripts in many cases. So getting picky for stylistic reasons seems to be a forest for the trees situation.”

The team agreed that some of these concerns are already covered in the Lesson Plan Style Guide. For example, the Grammar section details WordPress elements as regular nouns, not proper nouns, and the use of the Oxford comma before the final conjunction. The range of topics in the guide includes:

Content: Resources, Tone, Grammar
Structure: Description, Objectives, Prerequisite Skills, Assets, Screening Questions, Teacher Notes, Hands-on Walkthrough, Exercises, Quiz
Assets: Approved Themes, Images, Screenshots, Placeholders, Naming Conventions, Content Colors,
Formatting: Basic Conventions, Emphasized Text, Code Examples,
Issues
Accessibility: General Items, Links, Images, Multimedia, Abbreviations

The guide references additional resources for more detailed guidelines:

  • Anatomy of a Lesson Plan (Training companion)
  • Bloom’s Taxonomy (external PDF)
  • Approved Themes list of Twenty Twelve through Twenty Sixteen
  • Theme Unit Test Data (import file from Automattic)
  • lipsum.com (Lorem Ipsum generator)
  • Placekitten (placeholder images)
  • W3C HTML and CSS Recommendations (separate content from styling)
  • W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

In general the team thinks that the Lesson Plan Style Guide is complete, may need some minor revisions and review, and that the main issue is that copyediting should check for consistency with both the guide and the Anatomy of a Lesson Plan reference.

Some areas for review are the use of assets, images, screenshots, and sample content, as this is where the context of various lesson plans can enter gray areas and they may add constraints for copyediting or updating the material.

While the team maintains a Training style guide, an external style guide might considered as an additional external reference. However, all major style guides, such as Chicago Manual of Style and Associated Press Stylebook, are proprietary and fee-based for online use. As an alternative, MailChimp has a MailChimp Content Style Guide available under a Creative Commons license and publicly available on GitHub:

This is our company style guide. It helps us write clear and consistent content across teams and channels. Please use it as a reference when you’re writing for MailChimp.

This guide goes beyond basic grammar and style points. It’s not traditional in format or content. We break a number of grammar rules for clarity, practicality, or preference.

We invite you to use and adapt this style guide as you see fit. It’s completely public and available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license. All we ask is that you credit MailChimp.

The team was divided about the need for a Glossary to accompany the existing resources, and whether or not we should reference an existing resource or build or own. There are two major WordPress glossaries available that could be referenced as resources:

WordPress Codex Glossary: This document is designed to offer definitions of various terms, exclusive to WordPress, that users may not be familiar with.

WordPress.com Learn Get Lingo: You’ve got a blog: huzzah! Whether you want to be a WordPress.com pro or just need to learn the basics, you’ve come to the right place.

The team suggested that Training inquire with the Docs team for information about how the Codex Glossary is maintained and used. At a recent meeting on January 10, 2017, the Docs team discussed creation of a new Glossary being performed by @normalize. Documentation Team Lead @kenshino suggested that the new format could use a Custom Post Type (CPT) for each glossary item, as they are short and can link to full Codex articles for more information. The Docs team is looking at how this would be implemented in the new Helphub.

Agenda for January 17, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Review of 2017 Goals and next steps
6. Announcements and Questions

 

 

X-post: Welcome to the Community Summit Workspace!

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/summit: Welcome to the Community Summit Workspace!

Recap of January 10, 2017 Meeting

Lessons

  • @juliekuehl needs a few more people to look at the a11y lesson
  • @chmchm has started on the Basic Theme Configuration lesson
    • Do we need a section about how to add menus?
  • @meaganhanes is finishing up Finding Help For Your Theme this week

Copyediting

  • @noplanman will proofread the a11y lesson
  • @donkiely finished Customizer: Static Front Page vs. Content Feed, and Managing Menus
  • @esteschris has finished Header and Background Themes
  • There are a few lessons that have been edited, but are waiting for final review before being marked complete. Post to come.
  • @donkiely will take on the Custom Post Types, if that’s not spoken for. Content Editor Overview lessons for editing

Testing

  • @skarjune is going to be using the Getting Started with WordPress workshop soon.
  • @chanthaboune spoke with the Hack the Hood team today to identify any holes in the theme workshop. Updates by 1/24.
  • The themes to test page is up to date as of 1/3/2017

Open Discussion

  • The O2 upgrade is complete!
  • We discussed some discrepancies between our styleguide and what editors are seeing in their assigned lessons. Post to follow.
  • We discussed the possible need for a Glossary (this seemed relevant to @bethsoderberg‘s upcoming post re: content on the site). Post to start discussion on the p2 will follow.

If you haven’t weighed in on goals yet, now is your chance!