Hosting Meeting Notes: July 11th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @antpb @rawrly @ivanatanasov @brettface @bph @jadonn @dryanpress @pandjarov @clorith 

Announcements/Reminders

  • The launch of the Try Gutenberg callout is scheduled for the release of WordPress 4.9.8
    • WordPress 4.9.8 is due for general release on July 31st

Gutenberg

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, July 18th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Send Your Delegates to the July 11th Hosting Community Meeting

The WordPress.org Hosting Community (#hosting-community) wants to help prepare hosting support teams for the launch of Gutenberg by producing documentation and resources hosting companies can use to prepare their support teams to best assist their users with Gutenberg before Gutenberg launches.

Anyone interested in preparing for the launch of Try Gutenberg and the launch of Gutenberg in general is welcome to attend the meeting of the Hosting Community team at Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 1700 UTC. This will be an opportunity for everyone to meet, establish key milestones, and figure out how to collaborate. Feel free to join #hosting-community in the WordPress.org Slack before then if you have any questions, etc.

At a high level, our goals are to help hosting support teams:

  1. Understand what Gutenberg is and how it works.
  2. Be confident in diagnosing support requests / bug reports / plugin conflicts.
  3. Know how to act on the result of their diagnosis (let it be opening a new Gutenberg issue, reporting the conflict to the plugin author, etc.).

Gutenberg is the redesigned WordPress editor launching later this year with WordPress 5.0. It marks a relatively significant change to WordPress’s editor interface, and the WordPress.org Hosting Community team wants to support a smooth transition to Gutenberg for hosting companies’ customers.

WordPress users will also soon receive an invitation in their WordPress admin dashboard to Try Gutenberg. Users who opt in to Try Gutenberg will have the Gutenberg plugin installed to their WordPress websites. We expect that WordPress users will go to their hosting providers’ support teams first for help with Gutenberg.

We are developing documentation that outlines the best practices for assisting customers with Gutenberg and where support teams can find additional help. The documentation currently lives in a shared Google Document. It contains information about Gutenberg, including:

  1. What is Gutenberg
  2. How to try Gutenberg before it launches
  3. Common support questions
  4. Common bugs
  5. How to file a bug template
  6. Suggested steps for troubleshooting Gutenberg-related issues
  7. Guidance on looking for plugin conflicts with Gutenberg

We want to work directly with hosting companies to cultivate Gutenberg Subject Matter Experts who can take the lead in coordinating with their hosting team and the WordPress.org Hosting Community team to prepare for Gutenberg. Hosting companies interested in collaborating on plans for preparing their teams for Gutenberg should send a representative to the Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 1700 UTC. We will discuss the launch of Try Gutenberg and Gutenberg in more detail at that meeting.

We aim to partner with hosting companies to capture user feedback about Gutenberg in order to help drive improvements in Gutenberg. Hosting companies are well-positioned to best assists WordPress users with the move to Gutenberg and to communicate to the Gutenberg team the problems their users are experiencing with Gutenberg. Hosting support teams can contribute to Gutenberg directly through submitting bug reports and providing feedback to the Gutenberg team and the Hosting Community team on how Gutenberg can be made better for WordPress users.

We look forward to seeing you on July 11th!

Help with the Gutenberg Migration Guide at Contributor Day

Looking for something to do at Contributor Day? We could use your help!

The Gutenberg Migration Guide is a crowdsourcing project to document WordPress Classic Editor customization points and their Gutenberg equivalents (if such exist). media_buttons is the quintessential example; whereas you might’ve used this action previously in the Classic Editor to register a button, it no longer exists in Gutenberg and the block inserter is its direct equivalent.

We want the migration guide to be as comprehensive as it can be. This is defined as:

  1. Identifying as many integration points as we can find. For instance, there are already 14 actions / filters listed. Some are commonly used, while others are not. As long as we have a good example for how the integration point is used, it makes sense to include in the guide.
  2. Whenever possible, documenting how feature parity can be achieved with Gutenberg. Some integration points do already have Gutenberg equivalents. Others don’t yet, and that’s alright.

You can help make the migration guide more comprehensive. If you don’t have any examples of your own to include, here are a couple of places you can start looking:

Everyone can contribute to the migration guide, regardless of skill set. All you need to do is open a new GitHub issue and report the incompatibility you’ve found. Screenshots and GIFs are tremendously helpful. If you know the underlying problem, then please include that too. If all you know is that a given plugin’s feature doesn’t work in Gutenberg, no worries; simply open an issue and we can help track down the cause. Identifying examples of breakage are what we need help with most.

Feel free to join #hosting-community in the WordPress.org Slack if you have any questions, etc. Thanks for your help!

Hosting Meeting Notes: May 16th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @antpb @brettface @jadonn @josh2k5 @pdclark

Announcements/Reminders

  • WordPress 4.9.6 Release Candidate 2 is out
    • WordPress 4.9.6 is scheduled for release Thursday, May 17th, 2018.
  • The next Hosting Documentation Collaboration day is scheduled for Friday, May 18th, 2018 at 1700 UTC.
    • Interested in helping out? Stop by the #hosting-community Slack channel for more information.

Gutenberg

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: May 9nd, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 9nd, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @dhsean @pdclark @danielbachhuber

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: May 2nd, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @antpb @brettface @dws122 @robertjacobi @rachelwhitton @pdclark

ServeHappy

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

  • @danielbachhuber was out today, but @mikeschroder reported that the ‘Try Gutenberg’ callout has been pushed back to WordPress 4.9.7 instead of WordPress 4.9.6.
  • @mikeschroder asked for an update from @pdclark and @jadonn on coordinating Gutenberg-specific documentation to help hosts prepare for ‘Try Gutenberg’.
    • @jadonn did not have any updates.
    • @pdclark suggested having a collaboration session with Google Docs to develop documentation.
    • @rachelwhitton, @jadonn, @brettface liked the idea of using Google Docs and collaborating together more closely.
      • @andrewtaylor-1 mentioned some people he knew would be interested in collaborating on a shared Gutenberg support document when that effort gets started.
  • @pdclark volunteered to create a shared Google Doc document for collaborating on Gutenberg support documentation for hosts.

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 9th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 25th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 25th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @aaroncampbell @josh2k5 @antpb @brettface @desrosj

Team Organization

  • WordPress.org contributor and team badges were given out.
    • Contributor badges are for concrete contributions, such as making a contribution to one of the team’s active projects.
    • Team badges are for team members who show a combination of contributions, participation, and helping with planning and execution of team projects.
    • If you did not receive a badge, and you feel like you should have, please message @mikeschroder on Slack.
  • The Contributor Drive documentation was passed back to community team for inclusion in future contributor drives.
    • Thank you everyone who added to this documentation!

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

  • @danielbachhuber had three updates
    • Plugin compatibility test results:
      • Plugin compatibility database, announced March 1st, 2018, has had 70 testers who have tested 861 out of 5000 total plugins.
      • Of 861 tested plugins:
        • 219 (25.44%) are compatible.
        • 518 (60.16%) are likely compatible.
        • 25 (2.9%) are likely not compatible.
        • 39 (4.53%) are not compatible.
        • 60 (6.97%) are in “testing” (i.e. someone started a test and did not complete the test)
    • @danielbachhuber would like to focus on acquiring more data, with Try Gutenberg being a big opportunity.
    • @danielbachhuber proposed having the plugin compatibility database be moved into WordPress.org, which would be a large amount of work, but worthwhile if it brings in a lot of useful data.
  • Try Gutenberg is currently scheduled to launch in WordPress 4.9.6, which is scheduled for release on May 15th scheduled to launch in WordPress 4.9.7 as of May 2nd, 2018 (thanks to @aaronrutley for pointing out this was changed).
    • @danielbachhuber asked if team members’ support teams were ready to address Gutenberg support requests
      • @jadonn and @josh2k5 responded they would have to check with their support team for readiness.
      • @jadonn and @josh2k5 asked for official documentation that could be provided to support teams to help prepare support teams
        • @danielbachhuber recommended drawing up an outline of information that their supports teams would like like to have

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 18th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @harryjackson1221 @josh2k5 @pdclark @t-rave @dws122

Team Organization

  • @mikeschroder announced that @jadonn is helping with team representative work on a trial basis.
  • @jadonn suggested the team look at improving team organization in the future.
    • Specific suggestions were maintaining lists of tasks contributors can do and considering agenda-based meetings.
    • @danielbachhuber suggested the team for now might get better contributions by focusing on currently ongoing projects.
      • @jadonn agreed focusing on current projects now would be good use of time.
  • @mikeschroder asked for input on contributor badges and team badges for the #hosting-community team.
    • @mikeschroder proposed giving a contributor badge to people who make a discrete contribution to the team.
    • @mikeschroder asked for input on what to do for giving out team badges.
      • @jadonn suggested looking at different criteria like number of contributions or contributions and attendance.
    • @josh2k5 and @mikeschroder liked looking at contribution and attendance.
      • Especially, as @josh2k5 suggested, active participation in planning and execution for projects.
    • @pdclark thought they were good metrics to consider and that badges would be a good incentive for contributors.
    • @jadonn mentioned attendance would have to be tracked.
      • @josh2k5 felt that it would be self-evident who should receive team badges as time went on.
      • @jadonn and @mikeschroder discussed how to award badges (i.e. give them out or have people request them).
        • @mikeschroder thought, and @jadonn agreed, that team representatives giving out badges would be better recognition.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

  • @danielbachhuber, @jadonn, and @pdclark reported on the Try Gutenberg and Gutenberg plugin compatibility efforts.
    • @danielbachhuber mentioned he would be meeting with a representative from the Gutenberg team to work on a plan for collaboration.
    • @jadonn did some more research into automated plugin testing and has been in communication with the #marketing team about help with outreach.
    • @pdclark made a draft for a related Try Gutenberg ticket and sent it to @danielbachhuber
    • @danielbachhuber was going to review the existing database of plugin compatibility for any useful information.
    • @danielbachhuber was going to work on a first draft of a guide for the integration points for the classic WordPress editor and for Gutenberg.
      • Work is tracked on GitHub here.
      • @jadonn had previously written up a list of this kind of information for the automated plugin work. He will add it to the GitHub issue.

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 25th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: March 28, 2018

Here’s a summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 1:00 PM CST

(Slack archive).

Contribution Documentation

  • @mikeschroder mentioned that Angela Jin is helping document contributor groups and drives, including info on how to contribute and projects available for contribution. An open call was made for Hosting Community contributors to help write up and proof documentation. @antpb and @ataylorme expressed interest in helping proof and write up info. If anyone else would like to help on this front, please ping @mikeschroder on slack.
  • Two initiatives need attention — @danielbachhuber’s Gutenberg testing, and Hosting Best Practice docs, which @ataylorme has been leading. They’re both in need of significant help.
  • In the last meeting folks mentioned that it might be a good idea to pick a day or days to work together on docs, because pre-scheduled time might help. It was determined that Friday 4/6 at 1700 UTC we will meet to discuss documentation. Please come join us! When the event starts, instructions will be posted in the channel for optionally joining a hangout while working.

Hosting Community Discussion

  • @mikeschroder expressed a need to bring in more representatives for the Hosting Community group. There is open call for nominations (self or otherwise) to help the group with things like organizing meetings, notes, or getting things together for camps and contributor days.

Gutenberg Testing

  • @jadonn mentioned the need for Gutenberg Testing outreach and @miker has joined the group to help in those efforts (Welcome!). A resource was shared by @pdclark on Gutenberg testing: https://github.com/danielbachhuber/gutenberg-plugin-compatibility/issues/4
  • The signup process in the testing site was mentioned to be a bit of a hassle/blocker in contributions to testing. Some discussion was had around sharing authentication via WordPress.org users. @danielbachhuber mentioned that considering things like automation the level of effort to link the two may be overkill. 
  • @danielbachhuber mentioned that we don't take ownership of updating the plugins ourselves, but instead focus on making the compatibility data available/accurate, and then assist the plugin author with guidance on how to make their plugin Gutenberg compatible. Our main focus is just getting data around what is/isn't compatible. 
  • On the topic of automation @danielbachuber warned "The challenge with the existing implementation is that some plugins require configuration before they expose editor UI. Simply taking screenshots of a fresh WordPress install with the plugin activated in some automated manner isn't sufficient. However, if a hosting company were open to it, we could grab customer databases with the plugins already activated, spin them up in some isolated environment, and do our screenshot analysis."
  • @danielbachuber also mentioned "We could potentially generate a ton of plugin incompatibility data by screening the WordPress.org support forums"
  • @danielbachuber also shared a comment that outlines some great steps for testing compatibility: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/4072#issuecomment-356136576

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 1:00 PM CST. Hope to see you then!

#hosting-community#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 17, 2018

Here’s a summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 at 1800 UTC

(Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • @danielbachhuber indicated that getting Travis CI to report to the page is in final implementation stages
    • He will continue running the build to verify everything works as expected – details here
  • Analysis of the build failures so far are here
  • Once wpdevbot is submitting results @danielbachhuber is creating a way for it to email that info – details here
  • @andrewtaylor-1 asked – Do you need an email address from existing hosts reporting?
  • @danielbachhuber replied – Each bot user should already have an email address — that's what I'm planning to use.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @andrewtaylor-1 indicated that comments are still being gone through for the Reliability page but more are still welcome
  • There are placeholder stubs in Security and other topics that could use some help as well

Request for Help!

  • Submit any further feedback about the Reliability page
  • Add to or add feedback to any other topics of the Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 24th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#hosting-community, #weekly-hosting-chat