Mobile Team Update – September 25th

We don’t have a new beta build going out this week since we skipped one release cycle, but you can still join the beta program and test version 10.9 of the WordPress mobile apps.
Sign up here to join the beta program on iOS or follow this link on your Android device, tap on Become a beta tester.

Highlights for the last two weeks:

  • iOS: We started working on Xcode 10/Swift 4.2 migrations and added actionable calls to actions to all empty states.
  • Android: We made great progress in a new framework to better handle lists pagination.
  • Gutenberg mobile: We placed the groundwork for the image block, better format toolbar support and enabled Gutenberg-web automatic mobile test suite run on all web PRs.

Five for the Future: Define and Discover

Most of the team reps I speak to have heard about Five for the Future, the initiative, that was shared by Matt many years ago. Early in 2018, following many conversations in and around the community, we started discussing ways that we can make participation in Five for the Future clearer.

No decisions have been made about the best ways to do this. However, as I talk to various team reps and contributors, it’s clear to me that I don’t have a full picture of what each team considers a contribution.

I would love if the team reps could comment about what each team considers a contribution. Everything from “Good First Bugs” to “Commit Access” (as it applies to your particular group of contributors). A bulleted list that is grouped in types of tasks is what I most need, don’t worry about being terribly granular or detailed. If I need explanation, I’ll follow up. 🙂

P.S. — For those who want a timeline or some concept of how this fits with current work. It’s a mid- to long-term project and need. Sooner is better than later, but it is likely to be early 2019.

Marketing Team Update – August 8, 2018

The Marketing Team is a strategic resource for other WordPress teams. We also provide copywriting services. Our volunteers are well-equipped and eager. We work independently using in Trello but use our weekly slack meeting to focus on updates.

We meet in Slack every Wednesday morning at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time as a catch up on our tasks. However, anyone can chat in our Slack channel about anything at any time.

Highlights

We’ve been working on recommendations from the growth council to improve WordPress.org. Last week we finalized and submitted page content for how to get help with WordPress to meta.trac. Though, we are unsure of if or when that will be published.

That said, we published our brand book in our handbook and the results of our survey on how folks get their WordPress news.

WordPress News Survey 2018 Report

We are continuing to write and publish case studies. Please feel free to submit those here.

Last Week’s Stats

Since a majority of our work manifests itself in blog posts on our blog, here’s how we’re doing.

The top post last week was the Jargon Glossary. (We’ve received some feedback and suggestions and are working on implementing those.)

We're so happy the jargon glossary is still a top getter for stats.

We’re so happy the jargon glossary is still a top getter for stats.

We’re Here for You

If your team would like strategic advice or copywriting, please ping either me (@gidgey on Slack) or @mcdwayne. We’ll set up a Trello card and get to work.

Our meeting notes are here.

#marketing-team

Plugin Review Team Status – 13 August 2018

Plugin Status Change Stats

  • Plugins requested : 172
  • Plugins rejected : 7
  • Plugins closed : 421
  • Plugins approved : 92

Plugin Queue Stats (current)

  • Plugins in the queue (new and pending)* : 720
  • → (older than 7 days ago)** : 647
  • → (2018-08-06 – 2018-08-13) : 57
  • → (new; not processed or replied to yet)* : 18
  • → (pending; replied to)* : 702

SupportPress Queue Stats

  • Total open tickets* : 25
  • → (with no activity in last 7 days)** : 4
  • Within defined 7 day time window:
    • Total : 207
    • Closed : 206
    • Open : 1

#plugins

Quarterly Updates | Q1 2018

To keep everyone aware of big projects and efforts across WordPress volunteer teams, I’ve reached out each team’s listed representatives. I asked each of them to share their top priority (and when they hope for it to be completed), as well as their biggest Wins and Worries. Have questions? I’ve included a link to each team’s site in the headings.

Accessibility

  • Contacted: @rianrietveld, @joedolson, @afercia
  • Priority: Getting the minimum accessibility requirements for Gutenberg done prior to merge. ETA is before 5.0
  • Struggle: Would like better accessibility knowledge/awareness in the project (here are a few training options for those who want to learn more)
  • Big Win: A lot of support from the community to make WordPress as accessible as it can be. All the designers, testers, a lot of developers and team leads are making an effort.

CLI

  • Contacted: @danielbachhuber, @schlessera
  • Priority: New major version v2.0.0 which restructures the packaging system to improve the developer experience (especially contributor on-boarding). ETA is beginning of July.
  • Struggle: Assembling a larger team of regular contributors/committers (which informed the team’s priority).
  • Big Win: Version 1.5.0 released at the end of January was full of useful new features and bug fixes.

Community

Core

  • Contacted: @jeffpaul
  • Priority: Gutenberg polishing and GDPR preparations
  • Struggle: Timelines are in flux, but the new editor is getting into refinement phases. GDPR is being coordinated among a number of teams, so that’s taking significant time, but the next steps are clear.
  • Big Win: Got a number of new contributors to help lead releases. A few debrief posts about learnings and possible improvements are coming.

Design

  • Contacted: @melchoyce, @karmatosed, @boemedia, @joshuawold, @mizejewski
  • PriorityTeam building, empowering designers to contribute, and continued focus on supporting Core.
  • StruggleMaking the path to contribution clearer (no designated tasks for designers to perform and contributing through Trac tickets is very technical/can be overwhelming).
  • Big Win: A bit of new involvement on the Design team and some partnering with people on other teams as well.

Documentation

  • Contacted: @kenshino
    Priority: Releasing HelpHub (background: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2018/02/26/state-of-helphub-february-2018/) by May 30.
    Struggle: A lot of work is short term or project-based, so it’s hard to keep volunteer engaged over long periods of time

Hosting

Marketing

  • Contacted: @bridgetwillard
  • Priority: Top priority is finishing the handbook, ETA June 2018
  • Struggle: Need a more streamlined onboarding process for Contributor Days
  • Big Win: We’re proud of quite a bit but the Trac onboarding Guide, jargon glossary, and keywords for new landing pages for wordpress.org.

Meta (WordPress.org Site)

  • Contacted: @coffee2code
  • Priority: GDPR, Council-requested updates, supporting teams where we can.
  • Struggle: 2 people on leave at the moment
  • Big Win: Got the About Page launched

Mobile

  • Contacted: @astralbodies, @catehstn
  • Priority: Getting Gutenberg on mobile.
  • Big Win: Nailed what they hoped to ship in Q1, and excited to see what 2018 brings

Plugins

  • Contacted: @ipstenu
  • Priority: Getting off SupportPress so that more nuanced access is easy to give.
  • Big Win: Have moved to a new review system (even though it has some weird quirks).

Polyglots

  • Contacted: @petya, @ocean90, @nao, @chantalc, @deconf, @casiepa
  • Priority: Translate WP to 100% and then concentrate on the top 100 plugins and themes
  • Struggle: Getting new PTEs fast enough, and complex tools/systems. Overall, the volume of strings awaiting approval.

Support

  • Contacted: @clorith
  • Priority: Preparing for an increase in Gutenberg support (due to the potential callout, and 5.0 itself)
  • Big Win: Have been providing new workshops recently, focusing on various parts of support, as seen from various plugin and theme related perspectives and roles.

Theme Review

  • Contacted: @acosmin, @rabmalin, @thinkupthemes, @williampatton
  • Priority: Reducing theme review queue and ensuring themes still meet a minimum level of acceptable quality control.
  • Struggle: Finding new reviewers and keeping new reviewers interested in contributing their time.
  • Big Win: Reduced theme review queue from several months to 2 weeks.

Training

  • Contacted: @bethsoderberg, @juliek
  • Priority: Finish audit and updates to lesson plans. ETA is May 2018
  • Struggle: Onboarding to new systems, but there are some trainings planned in the near future.
  • Big Win: Moved lessons to GitHub

Design team monthly recap April, 2018

This is what the Design Team has been focussing on in April 2018:

Weekly meetings

Our weekly meetings occur on Slack on these times:

  • Ticket triage Monday’s from 16.30-17.00 UTC
  • Weekly Meeting on Wednesday’s from 17.00-18.00 UTC

The weekly meeting agenda and meeting notes are published on our team page for more detailed insights on our activity.

Inspired by the Marketing team, we want to emphasise that all design work for WordPress is done by volunteers.

Quarterly check-in

By request of @chanthaboune, we drafted a short summary of what the team’s priority, struggles and focus were for Q1 -2018. After much discussion, we distilled our statement down to this: The design team’s top priority for this year is team building, empowering designers to contribute, and we continue to focus on supporting core. If you want to read what’s behind, follow this link to the Google document we wrote.

Invision

People contributing to the design team, can get an enterprise license for Invision. We now have 31 people with access, and the first prototypes for Gutenberg are there. We’re still figuring out how to actively start using the license amongst WordPress design contributors.

WordPress design team on Invision

Remote design summit

We want to do an online summit for anyone interested in design for WordPress. John Maeda would like to support bringing this together; Tammie Lister walked through some initial ideas for making this happen. The details are still up for discussion, but the basic idea is a summit where anyone can contribute to a specific design goal that the community has agreed on. Join the conversation on our Trello board or add your ideas to our brainstorm document.

Calls for design

We’re actively reaching out to the other teams for calls for design, which resulted in:

If you have a call for design, please post it as a comment to our latest meeting agenda, or post a call in our Slack channel 

Ticket triage

On a weekly basis, we go over the oldest tickets that need UX/UI feedback to catch up. The goal of these is to look at each one and see if we can progress the issue in some way. Tickets that were discussed this month are: #41191, #43484,#23348#21603, #37600, #37860, #38315, #38304, #36346, #35538, #35887, #34324, #20846, #16185.

Overall improvement of communication and structure

On our about page for make.wordpress.org it says “pixel perfect designer.” We discussed that this term is not very inclusive, and that it would be nice if we could convey “design” a little more broadly, since, besides the visual aspect, there’s also UX. After a short discussion, we decided on just ‘designer’ would do for now. New text is available on make.wordpress.org.

We’ve also extensively discussed where to collect templates, fonts and other assets we can share for work on WordPress. Now some stuff is stored on Trello, but we agreed this is not the best solution. While we’re exploring setting up a repo for design on Github, the filetypes we can upload to our handbook are now zip, psd, ai, sketch and svg. This means we can add assets to the handbook and keep that as a first to go for designers who want to contribute to the project.

To make it easier for new contributors to find out what’s going on, we’ve continued improving our overall structure and communication. This is work in progress. We currently have 3 points of focus: Onboarding, the Handbook and Outreach.

 

Community Team Chats – February 1, 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.
Slack logs from February 1st: 8:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

We always kick things off with a deputy check-in: everything is going smoothly for everyone around the world. There are no roadblocks and everyone is going on with their tasks, according to the time we have available.

We had a few items in the agenda:

Email addresses and support queues for working groups

In experimenting with our team’s new “working group” model, it’s become apparent that some groups will need ways to communicate with the organiser community in an official capacity.
So we’ll be setting up new mailboxes in HelpScout for different queues. To do so we will upgrade from free to Standard plan, which means we can also use Workflows, connect with the API and a bunch of other fun things.

We are all in agreement that this is an improvement for our workflow.

2018 goals for the global community team: suggestions time!

We kept adding suggestions to the post (and you are invited to do it as well!).

We will do a summary post and prioritise.

This discussion brought up another one: how do we track our progress on all these tasks?

We agreed we will try a Trello board, not with everyday, recurring tasks (vet Meetups, schedule orientations, etc…) but with higher level tasks and working groups updates. We will post a proposal for the board on our P2, it will probably be modelled upon the Marketing team Trello Board.

For 2017 we will check the progress against the summary of goals for last year.

Open Floor

Open floor brought up a very important issue, the upcoming GDPR law for Europe for WordCamp websites and all the other tools we use for the Community Team including HelpScout. There is now a #gdpr-compliance in Slack.

 

 

#community, #community-team

Code of Conduct Team Update

On January 23, the Code of Conduct team had our first meeting of the new year.

Update on project status

We have mostly finished the survey that we want to send to the community, but are still hung up on the conversation about whether to ask for demographic information.

Discussion of demographic data

Jenny provided a summary of all conversations about demographics here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yu35nO7B-op51i5v6_wE5p_EmHjb4uacbkjK9UPvms0/edit#

Our conclusions: if we are going to collect demographic data, we need to have a clear reason for doing so. In this case, we need to understand the characteristics of the people who answer the survey, and understand the reach of the survey within the WP community.

To understand who answered the survey, we agreed that it would be easy to collect gender information, but gathering information about race in an international survey is extremely complicated. So we will ask about gender and country. We are also asking where people found out about the survey.

The survey answers will be anonymized. The CoC team (Morten Rand-Hendriksen, Jenny Wong, Morgan Kay, Andrea Middleton) will make sure that all identifying data is removed, and then the survey results will be released to the public.

Action Items

  • Draft a canonical post that describes the goal of the CoC initiative and contextualizes this survey, including information on who will have access to the survey.
  • Provide an email address within the survey in case people want to report an incident.
  • Review the survey to make sure it is ready to send out

#ccoc

CCOC project meeting notes – 17th & 31st October

17th October Notes:

A quick catch up on the meeting that happened on the 17th October

@mor10 and @morgankay were in attendance and shared the survey they have been working on.

They had it sent to an 3rd party survey expert to get feedback on the language and questions used in the survey.

31st October Meeting Notes:

The group met in the #community-team Slack.

Thanks to the people who participated: @sippis, @andreamiddleton, @morgankay, @mor10

The research CoC has a few more entries. The problem has been finding public articles about CoC situations that have been enforced and also articles against a CoC.

The CCoC survey has been reviewed by the survey expert and comments have been actioned.

The survey is now ready for review. The new questions are found under the Questions – Proposed header. Reasoning and discussion are found in the Questions – Draft header.

Please add comments to the survey document with anything you want to raise relating to the questions of the comments.

Next actions for the survey:

  • Put survey questions into a survey collection method.
  • Roll out the survey.
  • Publicise the survey.
  • Set a hard limit on return date

There was a discussion on how to push the survey. The discussion included a debate on how much pushing did we want to do for the survey and the balance between getting large dataset and not having a skewed dataset based on one portion of the community.

The idea came to do two things:

  1. Email all meet up group organisers with information about the survey and ask them to share it with their meet up groups.
  2. Post on all Make P2s.

Some concerns include ensuring that there is clear communication about the intent of the project and the survey.

There was an idea to bundle some other Community related information in the same blast-out or if it was important to to have the message exclusively CoC-related. It would be good to know what potential information the bundle would include before making a decision.

There was also a lively debate over whether we should ask about any demographics of the survey responders.

Polldaddy records location and IP address by default. in the past the Community team has received a lot of pushback about asking demographic info in surveys. The outcome is that @mor10 is going to ask the survey expert how they do it to ensure it is far.

There was the question of whether we need the demographic information, because we shouldn’t be asking for information we don’t need. The thought behind the demographic data is that if marginalized people say we need a code of conduct and non-marginalized people don’t, then we need a code of conduct.

Group’s TODO:

Next Meeting:

Next meeting is on 14th November 2017 at 15:00UTC

#ccoc

WordPress.tv Moderator Update October 12, 2017

“Things don’t just happen, they are made to happen.”
John F. Kennedy


WordCamps submitting videos for modding or editing:

WC DenverWC Rhode IslandWC Los Angeles –  WC NijmegenWC ChiclanaWC Moscow –  WC Toronto WC Varna – WC  Tokyo  – WC  SeattleWC  Montreal


The Modchat on Slack


Anyone anytime can take a video to edit.
Post-Production Videos-to-Edit


In The Last 7 Days
71 videos were published from
12 WordCamps and WordPress Related Events around the world


WordPress Community Interview Series

with Michele Butcher-Jones


The Top Most Viewed WordCamp Videos Last Week

Marija Zaric: The Creation Of Small Business Websites In WordPress – My Process

Thomas Deneulin, Romain Lefort, Thierry Le Moulec, Benjamin Lupu: Table ronde: La planète WordPress doit apprendre le JavaScript. Mais… pourquoi ? Et comment ?

Sandra Boulou: Les 5 clés d’un e-commerce gagnant

Tammie Lister: Know Your Users

Shanta Nathwani: Everything I Needed To Know About Life, I Learned At Coding School.

#wordpress-tv