WordPress 5.3 “Kirk” releases with help from our largest contributor team ever

WordPress is thrilled to announce the releaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software. of 5.3 “Kirk”, which was created by our largest and most diverse contributor team ever! No less than 645 amazing volunteers from 56 countries helped put together this release.

Graph showing the number of contributors by country.
The WordPress Team for the 5.3 “Kirk” release was the largest ever in terms of the number of contributors working on the release. More than 645 contributors from over 56 countries participated in the release!

Introducing Twenty Twenty

Kirk includes more than 150 new features and a new default theme, Twenty Twenty. It also addresses more than 650 bugs and improves seven coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. blocks, making it one of the most impactful releases ever.

Read the full list of changes in the WordPress 5.3 release announcement post: https://wordpress.org/news/2019/11/kirk/

With the new enhancements to the BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor, you can use your imagination to share your ideas and content. Whether marketer or musician, we all love the flexibility to be creative. Much like Kirk, who could play multiple instruments and often paired them together to make new combinations, the new Group Block lets content creators combine blocks and pair them together to create new and beautiful designs with ease. Creating content has never been more effortless.

Download WordPress 5.3: https://wordpress.org/download/

Still using the Classic Editor? 

Start using the Block Editor today and experience new publishing freedom. You will be able to create more beautiful content with less effort and technical knowledge. Experience the magic of blocks today!

Try GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/: https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 

Upgrade to WordPress 5.3

Kirk is the most intuitive version of WordPress and performs beautifully right out of the box, with a gorgeous Gutenberg-ready theme and native blocks to create anything you can imagine. Upgrade quickly and easily by clicking the update button in your WordPress dashboard.

Experience Twenty Twenty: https://wordpress.org/themes/twentytwenty/ 

Marketing Contributors

Special thanks to all of the contributor teams that made WordPress 5.3 possible! In particular we would like to recognize the Marketing contributors for the 5.3 release:

Mike Reid, Sebastian Koch, Aurooba Ahmed, Meg Phillips, Yvette Sonneveld, Olga Gleckler, Abha Thakor, Mike Allen

Contributor data provided by Jb Audras.

Please share this post using #WordPress5.3 !

#5-3

Help promote the 2019 WordPress User Survey!

It is time for the 2019 WordPress User Survey, and the Marketing team is asking for your help in promoting the survey! We have compiled some content to promote the survey through social media, news blurbs, and news letters. We would greatly appreciate your help in spreading the message through contributors and partner’s channels.

Newsletter copy businesses can use to promote the survey

We use WordPress everyday and so do you! The 2019 WordPress User Survey is a fantastic opportunity for all of us to influence the future of WordPress. We encourage you to take the survey and add your voice; whether you’re a user, developer, designer, content creator, or business owner! Take the survey here: https://wordpress.org/news/2019/11/2019-annual-survey/

Social Media blurbs for Survey takers 

Social Media blurbs for Community Organizers

Please feel free to come by the #marketing channel for any questions/comments/or just to say hello.

Marketing Team Meeting Notes – Nov. 6, 2019

Meeting timestamp on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. for full notes: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1573052444304800

Attendance 

@miker, @dhruvpandya, @OGlekler, @maedahbatool, @harryjackson1221, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @Maziar, @Michelle Ames (she/her)

Celebrations

@miker brought up the outstanding turnout and level of engagement at the WCUS Marketing contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/..

@abhanonstopnewsuk has been part of many great initiatives with more upcoming, including WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Dublin, Stuttgart, and Mumbai. More updates on the projects from these WordCamps will be shared over the next couple weeks.

@Michelle Ames (she/her) was a WCUS Organizer and is thrilled at the success of the overall event. Thanks to her and the entire organizing team!

Main Tasks

WordCamp US Updates

Bye Bye Beyonce, you changed on us. LL Cool J uses WordPress, though!

At WCUS, we updated the Parallax image on the homepage after running an audit of the current Showcase. We are also developing a process to check those sites on a schedule, and update that image as needed. We replaced 7 of the screenshots that composed that image, and shared it with the MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team to get it updated.

Marketing Content for Contributor Teams

At WCUS, we met with roughly half of the contributor teams, interviewed members and started creating content we will use in 2020 to better tell the WordPress Story. The specific objective will be to highlight the benefits of becoming a WP Contributor and the professional development opportunities that come with it. We also started working on a formal distribution list for more consistent sharing of created content.

New Marketing Contributors

Unfortunately, due to logistical issues we did not get a full list of all participants at the Marketing table. However, we would like to recognize the new contributors who join the Marketing slack for the first time at the event:

@James Britton, @Debbie Flannery, @Donnie, @koop  , @raym, @Phillip Lane, @Artur, @Paul Wilson, @Mitchell Maling, @Ashley Haines, @Sarah Hackman, @mta1, @Richard Thaler – ClassyTurkey, @Jen

@miker: WordPress Social Media Marketing Strategy

The Marketing team has spent several weeks talking about a revamped marketing strategy to produce shorter pieces of content aimed at distribution via social media. This conversation continued at WCUS, and we have a rough plan with a couple of key objectives:

  1. The Marketing team is looking to be able to respond to requests from other contributor teams more quickly and consistently. While some groups work closely with Marketing to promote initiatives, it is clear there are a number of teams that are unaware of how to request content. We will address this through education and exposure so all contributor teams know how best to involve Marketing.
  2.  Create an official WordPress Marketing Content Distribution list. This list will store contact information for various WordPress Partner Organizations that can be utilized to share marketing copy for upcoming initiatives.
  3. We will be working on a form to request the information, and a system to store the contact information in a formal asset.
  4. We will be working to identify a distribution mechanism, potentially an email distribution list. This will need heavy vetting before it is put into operational use. 

@harryjackson1221: WordPress Showcase Redesign

At WCUS this past Sunday, we got approval to move forward on the redesign that we began back in January this past year

Super exciting, right? But, we need help getting everything ready, and forming a team to make this thing work. We will also need an outreach process and team, and a content team to help the featured items stay fresh and engaging.

We want to meet as soon as possible to get this together and ensure we do not lose momentum. The first goal here is to get a tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. ticket in with the details to begin the process. Once we do that, we can get a stamp of approval and off we go. In the meantime, we can begin outlining the project and milestones for it. This is a great opportunity for contributing, and we would love to get as many people pitching in as possible.

  1. We audited the current entries, and started the removal process. Thanks to the entire team that helped!
  2. We met with Meta to get an exported list of the submissions waiting to be approved to find additional influential sites that can be showcased.
  3. We updated all the featured entries, and will be removing the non WordPress sites this week
  4. We discovered that 84% of the sites in the current showcase are still on WordPress, and would also like to develop a process to follow up with the site owners that have moved away from it, to get information about why they have moved away
  5. We got approval for the Showcase Redesign, and will be meeting this coming week to ensure we have the correct mock up and functional requirements before submitting the trac ticket which has been pre-approved!

@miker: WP User Survey Marketing Copy

We completed the card for promotional content for the WP User Survey, which included a newsletter blurb and various social media pieces. This was discussed with @andreamiddleton at WCUS.

Very special thanks to @OGlekler, @aurooba, @yvettesonneveld and more for working on this!

@yvettesonneveld: Digital Citizens Week

This was actually complete previously, but was inadvertently not published through the blog. @yvettesonneveld shared that The Digital Citizen Week series got great feedback and thanked everyone for the team effort.

@abhanonstopnewsuk reports that we are collecting case studies which could be potentially used in a follow up piece.

Also thanks to @Michelle Ames (she/her), @OGlekler, @marybaum, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @Daria Gogoleva, and more!

@abhanonstopnewsuk: Promoting sustainability for WordCamps

We have a number of updates on this card, which will be broken down into smaller card for more focused contributions at upcoming WordCamps.

  1. The surveys and case studies will continue to be worked on at Contributor Days at Stuttgart and Mumbai this coming week, and were expanded at Dublin and Zurich in the last few weeks. We now need to focus on more specific case studies and are looking for contributors who would like to assist with case study interviews to identified camps.
  2. In November, the survey will be returned to community for finalization. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
  3. If your WordCamp has a good sustainability / environmental or eco story/ data, please let me know.

New Business

Meeting Time

The weekly Marketing team meeting will remain on Weds at 10 am EST, 1500 UTC. This may result in a time change, depending on timezones and observance of daylight savings time (DST).

Notes Update

We did not have a meeting on 2019/10/30 due to WCUS travel. We met on 2019/10/23 but did not actually publish our notes at that time. Due to the time since that last meeting, we will not publish those notes.

Marketing Team Notes — October 16th, 2019

Slack Timestamp Link For Meeting

1) Attendance

Meeting Attended By: @maedahbatool, @mikerbg, @harryjackson1221, @yvettesonneveld, @Gtarafdar, @oglekler, @Matthias Bathke, @jeffpaul, @nullbyte, @Ryan B., @aurooba, @vishalmukadam, @Dijana Muzhdeka 

Notes taken by: @maedahbatool

2) Celebrations/Successes This Week

2.1) Digital Citizen Week

3). Main Tasks On Agenda This Week

3.1) Digital Citizen Week

Progress:

  • The first two articles have been published. For the next pieces, the team plans to be more specific brief with an overarching messaging strategy.
  • So far, we have received great feedback on the first two articles, which is more important.
  • The first article has been translated into Portuguese and will likely be translated into more languages.
  • Also, it’ll be great if you spread the word across your social media profiles.

3.2) 2019 WCUSCD Tasks/Organization

Progress:

  • Important notice to all those who are helping with this: First of all thank you for your contributions. Please use suggestion mode in the doc, to be sure you are not overwriting anybody else’s work!
  • A lot of great work was done last year and we are hoping the same this year as well. Looking forward to helping bridge the gap between other teams even more.

3.3) WordPress 5.3 Launch Content on WP Marketing

Progress:

  • Huge props to everybody who contributed to this! Special thanks to @jenblogs4u@marybaum@mapk@Daria Gogoleva@OGlekler@jeffpaul@aurooba.
  • Thanks to @francina and @chanthaboune for their leadership and review for the releaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software.. And thanks to @melchoyce@ryebell@karmatosed from the design team.

3.4) Diversity Speaker Training Marketing

Progress:

  • Most of the plan is figured out and are starting to set up timelines for the items.
  • @Daria Gogoleva has offered to help and we’ll be recruiting via the Diversity Speaker team for more people to help out too!
  • We are quite hopeful to include lots of these items drafted by the end of January and some we’d love to get drafted by the end of November.
  • Moreover, specific tasks will be added in the Trello card so people can see concretely what they can help out with, etc.

4) New Business

4.1) Community Awareness on the Tide Project

@jeffpaul shared his two cents on behalf of the #tide team, who are continuing their struggle with awareness of the sub-project and in result lack much in the way of contributions from the community.  

What is Tide?

Tide automates the running of tests against plugins and themes in WordPress.org directory, currently focused on identifying PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. compatibility.  The use case there is to help site owners (and hosts, etc.) have a level of comfort that a site’s plugins and themes could function if upgraded to PHP 7.*.  Site owners and hosts should still test before updating their PHP version, but Tide gives a data point to consider in that decision.

Tide also captures any errors and warnings from running WordPress Coding Standards against pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party and themes, the thinking is to display this in the WordPress.ORG plugin and theme directories or within a developer-specific console to help highlight areas where a plugin/theme could/should be improved as well as to provide site owners information when trying to decide if a plugin/theme is “right” for their usage.  Code quality has yet to become a data point in those decisions, but ideally should be.  The long term hopes here, and part of the naming for Tide is that if site owners start expecting high-quality code in their plugins/themes, then developers will learn to pay more attention to WPCS and ensure their code adheres accordingly.  Thus, “a rising tide raises all boats” sort of philosophy that Tide could help improve the quality of the code across the WP ecosystem.

Is it something for WP Marketing?

  • It is definitely an area where the marketing team can step in and workaround. Also, it aligns well with our objectives for WCUS, where the macro-level objective is to create some processes for more consistently sharing the “stories” from various make teams.
  • There’s an opportunity to help the Plugin and Theme Review teams to automate some of their review processes, an example being that they could create two review queues.  
  • One queue could be plugins/themes with more than X number of errors/warnings as reported by a Tide scan, and one with less than X number of errors/warnings; essentially the review team could more closely review the high error/warning queue or even automatically reject those submissions and require the number of errors/warnings are reduced before coming back into the review queue. 

Next meeting

Wednesday 23 October 2019, 14:00 UTC.

Thanks to everyone who took part in today’s meeting and has worked on tasks during the last week.

Marketing Team Notes — October 9th, 2019

Slack Timestamp Link For Meeting

1) Attendance

Meeting Attended By: @maedahbatool, @mikerbg, @harryjackson1221, @yvettesonneveld, @aurooba, @oglekler, @maziar, @dariagogoleva, @yashwardhanrana, @webcommsat

Notes taken by: @maedahbatool

2) Main Tasks On Agenda This Week

2.1) WordPress 5.3 Launch Content on WP Marketing

Progress:

  • Thanks to @mapk@chanthaboune, and @francina for reviewing and commenting on the previous draft.
  • The current draft has two versions at the moment and it looks good.
  • But version 3 which is right at the top is the most recent one.
  • There are a lot of comments, to review, and we have been approaching this in a collaborative approach. We welcome all feedback, just please use comments or suggestion mode so we don’t overwrite anybody’s work.
  • For the 5.3 drafts, there are some comments regarding the Expanded Design Flexibility section in particular.
  • The request was made to shift this into a list view, and any suggestions and feedback are welcomed.
  • We are reviewing changes now from the last round of feedback. We will still need at least one more round to review the changes, but that feedback has been coming quickly after sharing new drafts.

2.2) Diversity Speaker Training Marketing

Progress:

  • @aurooba has prepared a draft of a marketing plan and linked to in this doc.
  • Currently looking for suggestions and/or the go-ahead to start creating some of these items (which will then be up for approval of course).
  • The task got a go-ahead and the team will start working on it.
  • @dariagogoleva has volunteered to help with the proceedings.

2.3) 2019 WCUSCD Tasks/Organization

Progress:

  • This project has been started at the request of the team that is developing a Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. workshop for WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US 2019.
  • The goal is to create and plan for multiple levels of tasks that appeal to people of all levels of experience, and that are most likely to be seen through to completion. 
  • @miker and @harryjackson1221 have started a conversation and scheduled some time for Friday at 1400 UTC to have a sub meeting. This allows others to contribute too before we report back to Christina Workman.

Input for WCUS talk @JeffPaul

  • In reply to a request from @jeffpaul who will be speaking on the topic of getting started as a contributor at WordCamp US
  • This will be a lightning talk and therefore the number of suggestions will be limited. He is mostly interested in task types that folks totally new to contributing could realistically achieve.
  • The general consensus is that marketing is a great way to get involved for individuals without a tech background. Currently, the skill with the least steep learning curve is copy-writing, followed by and editing.

Digital Citizenship Week

Task Lead: @yvettesonneveld

Progress:

  • A conversation with Josepha Haden has uncovered more opportunities for a clear overarching message and direct relation with WordPress and open sourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL.. This has been hugely helpful and means we can take all the ideas in and pull this together ensuring it is keeping the focus at the center.
  • Yvette thanked all contributors for their effort and pointed out that collaborative content creation may lead to a result where the end result hardly matches the first drafts. She emphasized that outlining and drafting content is the hardest work.
  • The deadline is nearing fast and a team of editors is working on final editing.

Next meeting

Wednesday 16 October 2019, 14:00 UTC.

Thanks to everyone who took part in today’s meeting and has worked on tasks during the last week.

Summary meeting 2019/10/02

Meeting timestamp on Slack for full notes

Link to published Notes of 25 September 2019 meeting (as updated)

1) Attendance

Full attendance list is on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. at the timestamp above.

We want to thank all of our contributors who are from around the world that may not be able to attend this meeting due to time zones and conflicts. We greatly appreciate your dedication and feedback! We encourage anybody who is not able to attend this meeting to comment and participate asynchronously.

2) Notes

Notetakers: @OGlekler and @webcommsat

Progress in change to minutes and notes system (summary update from @webcommsat):

  • a new system for the notes has begun and we are moving towards this in incremental steps to assist members and help onboard a team of notetakers
  • further work and feedback gathering on what members and other team would find helpful has continued. This included a meeting with @maedah on comments on the proposed changes. @yvettesonneveld and @webcommsat have had a number of meetings to continue to review the systems to encourage participation, reduce some of the barriers and potential issues, and enable members who are in opposite time zones to contribute more via slack before and in the 24 hours after a meeting
  • last week’s notes are an example of how we are moving towards a new format which incorporates feedback, input and research on what works in similar environments. https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2019/10/02/marketing-team-meeting-2019-september-25/
  • further work is being carried out in this area. The notes do not have the WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ IDs for some members who participated, this will be re-published when known. Please add your WP.org ID in the attendance section of the meeting if it is different from your Slack ID to help note takers
  • responses in the meeting:

3) Main tasks on agenda

3.1) WordPress 5.3 ReleaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software. — About Page

Task is leaded by @mikerbg

Card to organize the content

Document with the current draft

Progress:

Objectives:

  • review of the draft, refinements and cleaning up of the copy
  • feedback from the design team to make adjustments to best fit the content with the design of the page.
  • any points related to 5.3 that anybody wants to bring up in this channel? If so, please do during the meeting or leave a comment in the doc or channel the rest of the week. Please use comments or the suggestion mode so as not to erase somebody else’s work.

3.2) Digital Citizens Week (14-18 Oct 2019)

Task lead is @yvettesonneveld and and was initiated by @chanthaboune

Trello card with links to the articles

Status:

  • three articles in draft, new perspectives and suggestions encouraged. Please check signed in to Google documents and are adding comments in suggestions mode
  • in each article, you will find the outline first, and the first draft of the article next
  • please note, the last part of the article is not fully fleshed out yet, but suggestions can be added for this section too.

Objective:

  • to review what to include and identify what needs clarification. A full round of editing for style, grammar readability etc will take place later on

Next update:

  • by Friday articles 1, 3 & 4 should be ready for further edits and expecting a first draft of article 2.

4) New business

For anyone seeking additional ways to contribute, join us on Slack.

5) Contribute to documents

Shadowing and working with others in the task are a good way to start getting involved.

If anyone wants to collaborate on the documents highlighted in this meeting or on the TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. board, but is not sure how, there’s some tips on the ‘Getting started’ card on the online Trello (project management tool) board.

If you are not used to working in Google docs collaboratively, here are some quick tips:

  • if you are a new contributor you can join tasks on the Marketing Trello
  • check the status of a document with the Task Lead or a Team RepTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. as some may already be in final edit or fact check mode. Please use comments or the suggestion mode when adding comments to a document. You can also discuss with the Task lead what needs further work and they will be able to help you in areas you can contribute
  • sign in to the Google document linked on the Trello card or highlighted at the meeting with your own Google log-in. This allows others to view who is adding the comment so they can get back to you if needed. It also helps the team work together and build team spirit. If when you are working on the document, it says ‘anonymous xxx’ then you are not signed into the document
  • check you are editing in ‘suggestion mode’
  • then you can make comments to the document using the ‘plus’ sign in the right hand corner
  • please do not edit content within the main document directly without first checking with the owner of the document or have been asked to as one of the team editors
  • all documents in the team are stored in the central Marketing drive. Let one of the team reps know if you can’t access them
  • if you would like a walk through or some help using the online tools, just add a message to slack or contact a team rep, and there will be lots of help available!

(@webcommsatsat)

5) Next meeting

Wednesday 9 October 2019, 14:00 UTC.

It is aimed in future for a draft agenda to be posted in the channel on the Monday before the meeting.

Thanks to everyone who took part in today’s meeting and has worked on tasks during the last week.

Marketing team meeting September 25, 2019

2019/09/25

SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. Timestamp: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1569420109202500

  1. Attendance: 
    1. @mikerbg @michelleames @DijanaMuzhdeka @mapk @yvettesonneveld @karmatosed @webcommsat @jenblogs4u @nullbyte @maedahbatool @Maziar @scottjones

2) Notes

  • Notetakers: @webcommsat and @yvettesonneveld
  • Ideas:
    • in the future, attendees will be asked to add their WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ ID to their attendance confirmation if it is different to their Slack ID. This will assist notetakers.suggestion to be trialled: members attending the meeting, if they wish, to add their local time and time zone in relation to UTC, the common time zone used in the project. This is to support awareness of time zones of participants and to aid team working.
  • Update on Notes of meetings:
    • @yvettesonneveld and @webcommsat are working on options to make the meeting notes more effective and useful for both new members, those who may be contributing async, members unable to attend and seeking to catch up on actions, other teams and external audiences.
    • in the interim, a more streamlined minutes will be produced with a link to the full notes on Slack. The Google documents notes from the last meeting were available on the drive for members to read and this link was shared. Last week’s meeting was unusual as it had virtually two sub-meetings taking place within it in addition to normal updates. The notes are therefore quite extensive. Thank you to @webcommsat

3) New members welcomed

@mapk ; @DijanaMuzhdeka joined from her first contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Nijmegen

4) Celebration thread

  • Slack training for supporting new contributors
    • Event: An example of a MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. based Slack training has been piloted at WP-Pompey in the UK. This will produce feedback to work in Make WordPress and community on ways to improve the onboarding / tool familiarization for new contributors. Thanks to Drew Westacott and xxx for other teams working on ideas for a template.Outcomes: Many of the useful tips shared in this training and its structure could be adapted for contributor events. Potential follow-ups: A potential marketing idea is to encourage local Meetups to do Slack training before a Contributor Day in the area to enable new attendees to benefit more and move to tasks earlier. Action: If anyone else runs sessions on using Slack which could be shared, add it to the onboarding cards on the Marketing TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing.. We learnt a lot about how some of this can help at contributor events too and make slack more fun to get to grips with. (Update from @webcommsat)
  • Event: Marketing Table, Contributor Day WordCamp Nijmegen 2019 last weekend. 
  • Event: Virginia Beach WordPress Meetup 
    • Outcomes: Through marketing this is gaining momentum with attendance averaging 15 people each meeting. A good result for a new group (Update from @mikerbg)

5) WordPress 5.3 ReleaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software. – Marketing planning

5.3 Release Communication Update

This update comes from the 2019/09/25 Marketing team meeting. An agenda will be posted on 30 September for the 2019/10/03 meeting. 

5.3 Release Collaboration Meeting Objective

Objective: to use this meeting to review this document and review the proposed edits. We have had a lot of great feedback from other teams, many of whom have helpfully added content directly about their components.

On Monday, the expected Beta2 release, we will start the process over. This will be an iterative process as we approach release, but things get more and more stable as we approach the main release. (Update @miker)

Overall focus of the release

In the 2019/09/18 Marketing meeting, a number of questions were raised regarding the “main focus” of the release. This was clarified on 2019/9/20 by @francina:

GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ definitely deserves a very important place in the list of features but IMHO is not the main focus of the release. Nor is the theme, again according to me 🙂 As we said in the launch of the release cycle the focus is “polishing current interactions and make the UIs more user friendly”. If I had to sum it up, I would say that 5.3 is a release focused on enhancements, from Gutenberg, to a new default theme to media library. What do you think?

About Page Collaboration and Feedback

A major focus of the Marketing meeting was revising the current draft collaboration document. A number of feedback items have been incorporated over the last week. We reviewed the feedback and made a number of changes, while adding comments for further discussion. This is a work in progress and iterative document:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PW52syWz1bksFInmgczZA5OKhEGjM2dXGwNA6A5tl-M/edit# 

Suggestions from the team:

  • @yvettesonneveld suggested a readability check in the Hemingway app to make sure the reading level is at or below grade 8. @miker ran the current copy through the app and found it is currently at a 9th grade level;
  • @audrasjb requested a specific section be added on accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), which was endorsed by @francina;
  • @karmatosed raised concerns that the current document did not accurately reflect the full range of Gutenberg enhancements for the release. @youknowriad agreed and added in a list of main features, as well as starter
  • @mikerbg will compile an update on the current status of the About page to share with the major releaseMajor Release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality. team.

Images / Feature Illustration

Points on GIFs:

  • @mapk raised a number of points related to the animated GIFs currently in the About Page collaboration doc, and added specific comments directly in the collaboration doc. The GIFs were made at an earlier stage and no longer completely reflect the current stage. Feature behavior or UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. is slightly outdated in these GIFs;
  • @mapk did not think there was a formal process for creating these images. They had been created by a few of the Devs in local environments. He offered to provide the GIFs if we continue in this direction. He advised that to his knowledge there is not currently a guide or process for making these images. He has used LICEcap or Monosnap to create them in the past;
  • @webcommsat suggested the conversation on a guide for creating or requesting GIFs should be a conversation initially with the Design and the Accessibility teams. There has been information from the Accessibility team previously to help particular WordCamps before, there may be more resources. Checking with these times would be better and could potentially save time;
  • @karmatosed raised the concern that the impact of GIFs should be looked at collectively to consider their combined impact. She also stressed the importance of collaboration with the Design team on the overall direction of the design.

The conversation will be continued in the existing tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. thread: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47708 

The meeting ended without consensus on the next steps. @mikerbg expressed that his objective was to follow the lead of the Design team, and was approaching the task with the idea that flexibility was required as there will be multiple revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. needed as we approach release.

5.3 and Social Media

As we approach the 5.3 release, we have had a number of conversations about using various social media channels to spread the message. This raised a number of questions about the current channels, and how we can interact with those:

  • a draft document was started by Maziar bringing together some of the general ideas for more proactively posting on social media. This was a starter which members were invited to add to and to make it more specific to the Marketing Team. The more time sensitive task was the survey to encourage members’ contribution and ideas (more in the minutes from last week’s meeting). Maziar working on a draft survey and to report back next meeting. 
  • For the next few weeks, we focus on helping to generate some post ideas for the 5.3 release and the Digital Citizenship week content specifically.
  • @webcommsat: We need a separate document on social media messages for the release. Perhaps this could be done on a Google sheet so that we can re-tailor messages for the different social media accounts. This would also make it easier for members to take messages and use them on their own social channels. @@mikerbg will create this doc within the Marketing google drive and share the link in the marketing channel on Slack.

This conversation is ongoing.

6) Marketing Communication and Next Steps

Background:

  • In a number of weekly marketing and more detailed meetings, work has started on ways to improve shared understanding and communication flow within the marketing team, how it communicates to other teams and wider external audiences, and responding to feedback from members, from contributor events and other teams.
  • This includes how we record meeting notes, communicate project status, and provide a roadmap of planned next steps.
  • This conversation is in conjunction with the wider strategic re-organization of marketing processes already under discussion.

Actions: @webcommsat was asked to develop some options. She is also gathering further examples and will have conversations with @yvettesonneveld and @mikerbg, @maedah, gathering input from others too, and incorporating feedback from members and at WordCamp contributor events. The main immediate action item is to treat the marketing meeting notes more as a high level overview of activity, instead of a granular “transcript” of the meeting, retaining a link to the full discussion in Slack. A summary of this will be posted at the next meeting on Wed 2 October 2019.

Marketing Agenda for Oct 2, 2019

This is the agenda for the weekly Marketing meeting for 2019/10/02 at 10 am EST (1400 UTC) in the #marketing channel.

  • Housekeeping and new member introductions
  • Discussion topics
    • 5.3 About Page – we will review the new draft (version 3)
    • Digital Citizens Week (Oct 14-18)
    • Task Lead Updates
  • Open Floor

If there is anything you would like to see on the agenda, please respond to this post or drop a comment in the #marketing channel.

Summary of WordPress Marketing Team 5.3 Discussion – Sept 25

This update comes from the 9/25 Marketing team meeting. An agenda will be posted on 9/30 for the 10/3 meeting. 

5.3 ReleaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software. Collaboration Meeting Objective

The objective was for us to use this meeting to review this doc, and review the proposed edits. We have had a lot of great feedback from other teams, many of whom have helpfully added content directly about their components.

Overall focus of the release

In the 9/18 Marketing meeting, a number of questions were raised regarding the “main focus” of the release. This was clarified on 9/20 by @francina:

GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ definitely deserves a very important place in the list of features but IMHO is not the main focus of the release. Nor is the theme, again according to me 🙂 As we said in the launch of the release cycle the focus is “polishing current interactions and make the UIs more user friendly”. If I had to sum it up, I would say that 5.3 is a release focused on enhancements, from Gutenberg, to a new default theme to media library. What do you think?

About Page Collaboration and Feedback

A major focus of the marketing meeting was revising the current draft collaboration doc. A number of feedback items have been incorporated over the last week. We reviewed the feedback and made a number of changes, while adding comments for further discussion. This is a work in progress and iterative document:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PW52syWz1bksFInmgczZA5OKhEGjM2dXGwNA6A5tl-M/edit#  

@yvettesonneveld suggests we do a readability check in Hemingway app and make sure the reading level is at or below grade 8. @miker ran the current copy through the app and found it is currently at a 9th grade level.

@audrasjb requests a specific section be added on accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), which @francina endorses.

@karmatosed raised concerns that the current document did not accurately reflect the full range of Gutenberg enhancements for the release. @youknowriad agreed and added in a list of main features, as well as starter copy.

@miker stated he would compile an update on the current status of the About page to share with the major releaseMajor Release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality. team.

Images / Feature Illustration

@mapk raised a number of points related to the animated gifs currently in the About Page collaboration doc, and added specific comments directly in the collaboration doc. The gifs were made at an earlier stage, and no longer completely reflect the current stage. Feature behavior or UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. is slightly outdated in these gifs.

Per @mapk, there is no formal process for creating these images. They were created by a few of the Devs in local environments. He offered to provide the gifs if we continue in this direction.

@mapk advised that to his knowledge there is not currently a guide or process for making these images, but that he uses LICEcap or Monosnap to create them in the past.

@abhanonstopnewsuk suggests we start this conversation with the Design and the Accessibility teams on what guidance/ info they have on creating GIFs.  I think I have seen something on GIFs from accessibility team before to help WordCamps before. Think it may be worth a check with them first and save a lot of time too.

@karmatosed raised the concern that the impact of gifs should be looked at collectively to consider their combined impact. She also stressed the importance of collaboration with the design team on the overall direction of the design.

The conversation will be continued in the existing trac thread: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47708 

The meeting ended without consensus on the next steps. @miker expressed that his objective was to follow the lead of the design team, and was approaching the task with the idea that flexibility was required as there will be multiple revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. needed as we approach release.

Social Media

As we approach the 5.3 release, we have had a number of conversations about using various social media channels to spread the message. This raised a number of questions about the current channels, and how we can interact with those.

@Maziar created a doc for use as a starting point when looking at various social channels: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Y3EF-B-RU0YwB-_3iO1XVPMVtOkRqbD4GwK7Xrddv0/edit# 

From @abhanonstopnewsuk: We need a separate document on social media messages, perhaps this could be done on a Google sheet so that we can retailor messages for the different social media accounts. This would also make it easier for members to take messages and use them on their own social channels.

@miker will create this doc within the Marketing google drive and share the link in the #marketing channel.

This conversation is ongoing.

Marketing Release Communication and Next Steps

Outside of the public marketing meeting, we have had a number of conversations about improving clarity and communication coming from the marketing team. This includes how we record meeting notes, communicate project status, and provide a roadmap of planned next steps. This conversation is in conjunction with the largest strategic re-organization of marketing processes already under discussion.

@abhanonstopnewsuk organized the conversations with @yvettesonneveld and @miker. The main immediate action item is to treat the marketing meeting notes more as a high level overview of activity, instead of a granular “transcript” of the meeting. We will still link to the full conversation in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/., but will focus the notes more on the take aways and outcomes. We will also work more to vet the information going out in the marketing notes, instead of just reposting what was said in the channel to ensure consistency with broader communication from other teams.

In addition, we are moving to publish a formal agenda in advance of the meeting. Historically, we have used the same meeting agenda every meeting, and relying on task leads to communicate activity and needed input on their specific initiatives. While this is important, and we will continue to rely heavily on individual task leads, we will be proactive communicating specific agenda items and discussions as far in advance as feasible.

This will hopefully make it much easier for other stakeholders within WordPress to be aware of where and when specific conversations will happen. The goal is for all stakeholders to be able to attend conversations relevant to their specific initiatives.

Marketing Team Notes — September 18th, 2019

Slack timestamp

Agenda

1. Attendance thread
2. Notetaker
3. New person thread
4. Celebration thread
5. Task-lead update time
6. Collaboration time: we will continue fleshing out some content ideas for digital citizen week
7. Any other business

1 – Attendance (others may have contributed async)

Marcus Burk, @OGleckler, @nullbyte, @jenblogs4, @webcommsat, @harryjackson1221, Daria Gogoleva, Yashwardhan Rana
@Dhruvpandya, @Felipeelia, Maziar, Michelle Ames

2 – Taking notes

  • @webcommsat suggests using headings and subheadings to make it much easier to follow, better for members to find items, and improve accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)
  • Suggestion for a way forward to make it easier for both the reader and the person taking notes to avoid just copying large chunks from slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. without reviewing or checking personal data. Proposed use of H2 headings for the main subsections of the meeting and H3 heading for each topic/card. 
  • Suggestion for a meeting notes template to make creating meeting notes less time consuming and easier for an editor to review.
  • A check added to the process to remove any personal references for data management compliance (eg if someone is unwell) prior to minutes being published. Specifically to make sure these don’t go out on the RSS feedRSS Feed RSS is an acronym for Real Simple Syndication which is a type of web feed which allows users to access updates to online content in a standardized, computer-readable format. This is the feed..
  • Having a structure that members can follow would also support @meadahbatool in her great encouragement of new people to be involved in taking the minutes.
  • Thanks to @webcommsat for working on notes from this meeting and its sub meetings.

Comments: 

  1. @yvettesonneveldveld: Good point @abhanonstopnewsuk
  2. @siobhanseija: Absolutely true. Thanks for your input @webcommsat.  I know you’ve mentioned it all before, and it has been noted. It’s in the plans we have for restructuring some processes, like the notes. As we’re a bit short on hands/hours sometimes, we haven’t gotten around to actually fleshing it out yet.
  3. @nullbyte I will look into it and add some feedback. I am currently just observing how the team works.
  4. @webcommsat: It is valuable to be able to raise the feedback from new members at the last few contributor events, and even better that they can read about what is happening to help them in the future. Thanks @siobhanseija for the reply and to everyone at Zurich and Brighton who raised these suggestions again there.  Siobhan, if there is anything that members can do to help in the interim while the new process comes in, I am sure we would have enough people who could help do this and be ready to lend a hand or several.
  5. @yvettesonneveld requested @webcomms to assist with the notes to help develop an idea of what they could look like, the team members can add further suggestions to create a better instruction and a checklist for someone in an editorial role? 

Action: @webcomms to look at the backend of the site to see how a template could work or formatting guide which could be copied for each meeting to save time. The metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress.-team’s advice may be needed. 

3 – New Person Thread

Nothing to note.

4 – Celebration Thread

Purpose:

This is where you can share your #MakeWordPress Marketing successes of this past week. What did we get done and what are we proud of overall?

Responses: 

  1. @yvettesonneveld: our team is creating more front-facing content.
  2. @webcommsat: I led the Marketing table at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Zurich last weekend. We did a number of tasks at the Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. and during the conference day of the event itself including:
    1. onboarding new contributors
    2. bringing in the expertise from other Make teams to help with fact-checking on some of the marketing cards
    3. continuing the work on tasks shared with community and WordPress.tv
    4. identifying feedback and input onto a number of tasks and the Contributor Orientation Tool
    5. and some even continued working on tasks together the day after the conference too
    6. the TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. cards are being updated. Huge input into sustainability document and the marketing videos on WordPress.tv, as well as ways of improving further the Make WordPress marketing onboarding document.
    7. Particular thanks to @yvettesonneveld for helping with log-ins and welcomes and to all those who took part during the few days. So many updates, it will take a while to summarize them all. Growing the community and helping people get involved, well done everyone. If you view the update on the slack channel from Friday, you can read more about some of the things that were worked on. I will add more names here later in the meeting or feel free to add yourself if you were part of the amazing team who took part in Zurich. 
    8. @yvettesonneveld response: You onboarded some wonderful people again, @webcommsat! Thanks for your amazing work!
  3. @michelleames – We started working on content/posts for digital citizenship week!

5 – Task-Lead Updates

WordPress 5.3 Launch Content on WP Marketing 

Task-Lead: @miker
https://trello.com/c/oxkheE1l/286-wordpress-53-launch-content

Marketing team’s input includes: 

There will be multiple rounds of feedback and review, and the full releaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software. is expected in a couple of months. Encourages team members to read the release blog posts as are a great way to stay up with what is going on with WordPress. The blog posts also tend to be really detailed, and a lot of the marketing team role is taking that and focusing it for distribution. (@miker)

Update:

The sub marketing group met on Friday to discuss the overall layout and content, and have started a draft!I Thanks to @miker @jenblogs4u @marybaum @Daria_Gogoleva @Marcus_Burk @webcommsat for participating, and to @felipeelia for feedback from the coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. team! 

Also contributions from the marketing table at WordCamp Zurich, led by @webcommsat and all those who have contributed async. Feedback for the marketing team as a whole from the Contributor Day and onboarding: these kind of sub groups working in the main Marketing slack are very helpful for new members and those from other teams to discover more about potential ways to contribute, to shadow how projects work in the team, google docs updates etc, and encourage future involvement.

Collaboration doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PW52syWz1bksFInmgczZA5OKhEGjM2dXGwNA6A5tl-M/edit#
Plan (outline from the briefing by @Miker): 

  • a few additional features have been added to the collaboration document post Friday’s meeting
  • this document is to be shared with the release team for further feedback
  • at the marketing team meeting, the aim is to review the document and share it with the wider members for further feedback
  • feedback on specific features that will be released or pushed as part of the release will be shortly requested, and comments on priorities
  • comments in suggestions mode welcome from wider marketing team meetings during the meeting and async. You can add comments in “suggestion mode” in the Google document in the shared Marketing drive. Please avoid overwriting anyone else’s work by adding comments in ‘editing mode’ at this stage by accident.

Responses to document:

  • view from @felipeelia): “Template refactoring” item is part of the theme development and is something that the end user (or even the devs who wants to use the theme) will be unlikely to notice.  
  • non-Latin locales:
    • how the new version will support non-Latin locales on new themes. Something nice to highlight (@felipeelia)
  • @Daria Gogoleva info request: What do non-Latin locales include? 

New theme feature

  • Source used for the basis of the information on the theme features was Anders Noren’s in. This is in the introduction of the document (@jen4blogs4u). Text from Anders Noren on the twentytwenty theme in Make WordPress Core https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/09/06/introducing-twenty-twenty/
  • The BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor will soon celebrate its first birthday in Core and with every update it grows more capable. The promise of the block editor is to give users the freedom to design and structure the… 
  • Members thought the theme could be featured in broader, briefer terms. Potentially reference streamlined css and as much modern CSSCSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site.
  • previous release notices have noted the arrival of the new theme but have not contained theme detail. The release achievements are the focus of the release notice. The new theme will have its own detailed description on the download page (@jen4blogs4u
  • Action to consider: the discussion in the sub team has tended to view this as a single project, it may need to be looked at as multiple projects. It seems as if we are discussing both as a single project, so I wanted to bring that up. @miker to raise this specifically for feedback 
  • It is believed that all theme releases will be part of a broader WordPress release. Generally there is one theme a year (@miker)

Mobile features promotion

  • Option if the theme is not the main focus, then focus on improved mobile features as a headline. Significant number of improvements in this release. (@miker)

Video to potentially accompany upcoming release

Purpose/ Task: @miker working on a personal project for a POC for a video that could work with some minor tweaking for the upcoming release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF10xlyAhXU&feature=youtu.be

Members gave feedback and asked about what teams could assist on this to include it in the promotion.

6 – Digital Citizenship week content planning

Task lead: @yvettesonneveld

https://trello.com/c/sq89mgQv

Working document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TgBuCxzbPZ4d7pKO_D-wnLrmXi69Xdu2ITUYjHrgHiQ/edit 

Task at the meeting: consider audiences we could target with content. Digital Citizenship Week is dedicated to encouraging good digital citizenship and improve smart and safe use of using technology.

Ideas included:

  • some content should be aimed to parents/teachers and maybe at least one article to students themselves (Michelle Ames)
  • how to reach these audiences in the first place? (OGlekler)
  • targeting information potentially into age groups (Yashwardhan Rana)
  • need to publish it and then promote through social media with good hashtags. Make sure the content has good organic SEO for keywords. SEO and catchy titles
  • potentially some infographics
  • at least one picture for social media reposts 
  • a social media swipe file creation to help contributors to Make WordPress to assist in distributing content through blogs and their own social media accounts, and to support the official channels
  • Articles will also be published on WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org//news. This will also mean an automatic tweet via JetPack. Featured images requirements to be identified by Yvette

@OGlekle suggests a first article around “What is Digital Citizenship and why should it matter”?

@webcommsat suggests to keep an underlying focus on how the WP community adds to the digital citizenship information and awareness raising in this series of articles and promotions. In this way, the WP community can add real value and substance to the existing information. In the school age education setting, there is already a vast amount of curriculum-approved information in different countries and teaching specialist information by qualified professionals. So perhaps as we are developing the content ideas we can consider how the plan for each one adds to what is already out there or is likely to be being re-promoted by existing topic leaders/ organizations during the week. This will help us link back to WP and improve the likelihood of the messages being heard and used.

[update: article outlines have been completed at WordCamp Nijmegen Contributors Day. @yvettesonneveld, task lead for this project, will check in with the internal client, @chantaboune, and discuss next steps.]

7 – Any Other Business

Survey

In reply to a conversation a few weeks ago, @Maziar: prepared an initial draft proposal for thinking about social media use by the Make WordPress marketing team: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Y3EF-B-RU0YwB-_3iO1XVPMVtOkRqbD4GwK7Xrddv0/edit

@Maziar mentioned he’ll continue to work on a survey to be shared on social media. 

Yvette clarified: the idea of the initial strategic brainstorm was to get a feel among current contributors for what direction the marketing team should go. The idea behind the survey was to make sure those who had ideas but were shy to share them in Slack or a document could still do so in a survey. 

Therefore, adding suggestions for questions to the survey will be helpful, but a survey like that will not be promoted on social media. Potentially, we could ask new contributors to fill it out so that we could see trends? 


Promoting sustainability at WordCamps card

https://trello.com/c/DkVqaHCN

@webcommsat: Quite a lot of work on this in the last few months. Thank you to everyone and from other teams who have provided input. @BreannMcDede and I can look at the latest updates. We will be taking three queries identified for advice to @andreamiddleton in the next few weeks.

Any new or existing members who would like to help with the case studies, get in touch.

Updates on Twitter were also put out at Zurich. Please do share the thread. They have been tagged MakeWordPress too. https://twitter.com/nonstopnewsuk/status/1172883393798909953?s=21