Community team update – 03-10-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones. This post covers two last meetings:

Deputy updates

Again as usual Community Team members are busy with helping community organizers around the world. We had a little too long queue on Meetup and WordCamp applications. The team organized two vetting sprints to shorten the queue and it achieved an empty Meetup queue on the later one!

Ongoing discussions

Proposal: Changes to application workflow for better communication
There is a proposal about how to communicate better with Meetup and WordCamp applicants. Now their applications can be (unfortunately) without any response or message from the Community team few weeks. Proposal is to create a HelpScout ticket automatically for every application and use HS workflows to send automatic notifications.

Proposal: Detect dormant Meetup groups and check with them automatically
Our Meetup program is growing fast. We had 575 active meetup groups in February 2018 and the latest number is 778. Some of those Meetups groups might be inactive or dormant for one reason or another. Community Team would like to help organizers and members of those Meetup groups to go forward and have regular meetups again. Currently we don’t have a very good tools to detect dormant groups and approach those. Proposal suggests automatic check for when the last meet up was held and semiautomatic communication process if that has been over six months ago.

Additional posts worth highlighting

Numbers

+make.wordpress.org/community

#community-team

Community team update – 05-09-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones. Agenda and Slack logs from September 5: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC.

Deputy updates

Community Team members are busy doing application vetting and helping organizers. Also few meditations about challenging situations in the team – more about those later. No blockers with Community Team work.

Ongoing discussions

New Deputy Handbook page outlining a deputy review procedure
A few months ago, the Global Community Team received a formal complaint about the behavior of a community team deputy. This was a dismaying first, and required a new response procedure. Andrea documented the procedure and there is discussion to improve it.

Incident Report: Deputy Asked to Step Away from Official Roles
Related to the previous discussion, the review board was formed to handle the complaint. After getting more information and multiple challenging discussions, the board asked the deputy in question to step away from any official roles in official WordPress events for a minimum of 12 months.

Incident Report: Misappropriation of WordCamp Funds
Community team received another incident report alleging that a local WordCamp organizer had been mishandling the funds. Response team investigated this with other local community team members concluded that the organizer had used approximately US$ 7,000 for their own purposes. The person has been asked to pay back the money. If they do not follow the repayment schedule, the theft will be reported to local legal authorities. As a further result, this organizer has been asked to permanently refrain from taking part in any official WordPress event as a speaker, sponsor, organizer, or volunteer, and, for a 12-month period, from attending any official WordPress events.

Discussion: How to handle conflict of interest situations
There is ongoing discussion about recognizing conflict of interest situations in Community Team and how to handle those.

Additional posts worth highlighting

Numbers

  • General
    • Active deputies: 27 (+/-0%)
    • Active WordCamp mentors: 42 (+2.4%)
    • HelpScout total conversations: 919 (-4%)
    • HelpScout messages received: 1 013 (-6%)
  • Meetups
    • Meetups needing vetting: 14 (-6.6%)
    • Meetups in chapter program: 777 (+/-0%)
    • Members in meetup groups: 426 980 (+1%)
    • New Meetups groups in the chapter: Sofia, Bulgaria
  • WordCamps

+make.wordpress.org/community

#community-team

Community team update – 15-08-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from July 18: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC.

Ongoing discussions

How to handle conflict of interest situations
Team has some assumed norms about conflict of interest situations, but not any suggestions or documentation how to handle those. There is ongoing discussion to identify possible conflict of interest situations and how we should work with those. After discussion there will be an proposal or post for further discussion.

Additional posts worth highlighting

Numbers

  • General
    • Active deputies: 27 (+8%)
    • Active WordCamp mentors: 41 (+5%)
    • HelpScout total conversations: 990 (-19%)
    • HelpScout messages received: 1 051 (-28%)
  • Meetups
    • Meetups needing vetting: 15 (+/-0%)
    • Meetups in chapter program: 777 (+1%)
    • Members in meetup groups: 422 444 (+1%)
    • New Meetups groups in chapter: Gulfport, MS
  • WordCamps
    • WordCamps needing vetting: 8 (+11%)
    • WordCamps in the schedule: 63 (-6%)
    • WordCamp tickets sold: 2 422 (+43%)
    • New scheduled WordCamps: Port Macquarie 2019 and Stuttgart 2019

+make.wordpress.org/community

#community-team

Community Team update – 01-08-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from August 1: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC.

Deputy updates

As usual, Community Team members are busy doing Meetup and WordCamp application vetting, having organiser orientations, mentoring, organising events, replying to Help Scout tickets and helping organisers in general. Team and it’s members have no blockers with their work.

Ongoing discussions

Discussion: what to do in case of irreconcilable differences
We require embracing the WordPress licensing from all meetup organizers because they do represent WordPress. Community Team deputies encountered a situation for the first time in the chapter program history, where one chapter meetup organizer is distributing WordPress derivative that is not 100% GPL. While deputies are trying to solve the situation by talking and education, Andrea started a discussion about what Community Team should do if the difference is irreconcilable. After discussion, we agreed that in that situation we remove the person from their role as meetup organizer of the group and email all members of the group, inviting a new organizer to step forward.

Proposal: clearer WordCamp and WordPress chapter meetup logo guidelines
We really have not had solid guidelines for meetup and WordCamp organizers how they can use the WordPress logo as a part of their own. Mel Choyce, Kjell Reigstad, Sarah Semark, Mark Uraine, and Tammie Lister made a proposal on what the guideline could look. There are good examples and suggestions listed on the post. The post is open for discussion before we merge the guidelines to the handbook.

Additional posts worth highlighting

Numbers

+make.wordpress.org/community

#community-team

Community Team update – 18-07-2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from July 18 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC.

Deputy updates

As usual, Community Team members are busy doing Meetup and WordCamp application vetting, having organiser orientations, mentoring, organising events, replying to Help Scout tickets and helping organisers in general. Team and it’s members have no blockers with their work,

Ongoing discussions

WordCamp PWA Retrospective
Leading up to WordCamp Europe, the organising team enchanted the wordpress.org to be progressive web application (PWA). The PWA was deployed right before WordCamp Europe 2019 and was tweaked during the event. Key feature of this version was offline mode and custom “Day of event” frontpage that showed real-time schedule to visitors. We are now gathering feedback how PWA development process went.

Proposal: QR code for WordCamp badges
@casiepa has put together proposal on adding QR codes to WordCamp badges. Proposal is to send QR code to attendee after buying the ticket. That would make checking the attendee as arrived whole lot easier, allow easy on-site badge printing, t-shirt size check and possibly printing the code to badge for sponsors to scan. Discussion about this proposal is ongoing in the post comments.

Announcement: guidelines for using Trello
Community Team started a test phase for using Trello to organise its “big picture” work as a tool for general project management. The test phase will continue to the end of 2019 and team will evaluate pros and cons at the end of the year.

Call for volunteers: Handbook Working Group
Community Team started efforts to audit, rework and move content from P2 to our handbooks. @francinca has posted about forming working group and invitation to volunteer in it is open.

Numbers

For a long time, Community Team didn’t provide numbers from its work. This update is to change it.

Numbers below are for two weeks before the Community Team meeting on 18-07-2019, as team meetings are bi-weekly and that sets the reporting interim to two weeks. In next update, our numbers will also indicate the change.

#community, #community-team +make.wordpress.org/community

Community Team Chats – January 17 2019

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from January 17: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Veeting, orienting, mentoring, organising. Everyone is busy, as usual and there are no blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Call for Volunteers: Kids Events Working Group

A new working group will start meeting to help WordCamps organise Kids Workshops by producing material readily available for local organisers. The group is going to have a call soon, if you are interested follow the post.

Meetup organizer newsletter suggestions for January 2019

As always we are looking for ideas to add to our monthly newsletter, if you want to highlight somethine please get in touch.

Paid Freelance Contributors: The idea of the Wapuu Program

We didn’t actually discuss this topic during the call, but there is a lively, ongoing and very interesting conversation going on in the comments. Please join in!

Who is going to WordCamp Nordic?

The team needs facilitators for the Community Table at Contributor Day. At least four experienced deputies will be there, so table is covered.

Community Summit in 2019?

The last Community Summit was in 2017, before WordCamp Europe.

Historically, Community Summit happens when we have problems that we can’t solve online. The event, as we’ve done it in the past, requires an invitation-only format, which introduces a pretty toxic element into our egalitarian and highly open group. It is traumatic to organize an invitation-only event in the WordPress project.

But what if we could re-imagine it as an event for vision and community building? Getting feedback first from the community is key.
We plan on postig in the Community blog ans start with some basic questions: “What does community summit mean to you? should we do one/do we need it? how should we handle invite-based or should it be done in a new way?”

Highlighted P2 posts

All deputies are invited to read the posts to keep up to date with the Community team and project activities, thanks!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – December 20 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 15: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy with the end of year. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Chat scheduling over End of Year Holidays

Proposed to skip the first chat of 2019, since it’s during Christmas holidays for a large part of Contributors. We will start again on January 17.

WordCamp US 2018 Contributor Day Recap

The recap has all the details of the projects we worked on at WCUS. No discussion needed, but if someone wants to adopt a project and go on with it, please ping us in the Community Events channel and we will help you get started!

WordPress Governance Project Chats

During WordCamp US, a discussion was started about creating a Governance Project for WordPress. The team behind it asked to hold the chat in the Community Team channels. Initially we said yes, but upon further discussion it was decided to move it to another Slack instance, since this is not an officially sanctioned WordPress.org project.

During the 20:00 UTC there was a lively discussion about Governance and the project itself, so if you are interested in knowing more start reading from here.

Highlighted P2 posts

WordCamp camera kit program discussion wrap up

Thanks for commenting and volunteering to send camera kits and make the experience better for the WordCamp organisers.

Open Floor

We have a big backlog of Meetup applications, we are constantly struggling to keep afloat. If you are a trained deputy and you can help, please do!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – December 6 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from December 06: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers. And not a lot of partecipation on this chat since a lot of people were at WCUS and on the same day WordPress 5.0 was launched! Live! From Nashville!

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Proposal to Increase the Total Expense per attendee
No discussion was held and there are few comments, will continue exploring options.

Discussion: Should we continue the WordCamp camera kit program?
Discussion was mostly held via comments on the post, resulting in a wrap up post with all the details on how to continue.

Meetup organizer newsletter suggestions for December
Thanks to all the people the commented.

Highlighted P2 posts

WCUS 2018 is here! Community Team Plans for Contributor Day
Will you attend WCUS Contributor Day? In person or via Slack? Here is what we aim to work on.

WordPress meetup organizer newsletter: November 2018
While we prepare December newsletter, catchup with November’s edition

WordCamp Incubator 2018 Update Thread: November edition
Updates on the Incubator program.

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – November 15 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 15: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

WordCamp US 2018 – Get Involved Table

As always we are going to have a Get Involved table at WordCamp US. Thank you to the wonderful people that volunteered to staff it.

WordCamp Blocks: Round 1 Designs

The first round of designs is here! People offered to help and design is undergoing.

Discussion: Logos in WordCamp Videos

Quite a few people commented, so we reached a decision.

Sponsor logos at the venue (banners, podium, etc.) that are captured on video are fine to leave in and we don’t need to make a rule that organisers must remove banners from the stage.

Speakers are allowed to include their company logo in their slides, but only in an optional opening/closing informational slide and not throughout the presentation. This is fine even if their company is not a sponsor of the event.

Similarly, a speaker can wear clothing with their company logo on it, even if their company is not a sponsor.

No company logos of any kind are to be added in post-production.

Proposed 2019 Global Community Sponsorship Program

The Global Community Sponsorship working group has made a proposal, we gathered some comments and held office hours for companies that were considering becoming global sponsors. The new program and the sponsors have been announced on the Community Blog.

Highlighted P2 posts

Increase in WordCamp maximum ticket price for 2019

After a thoughtful discussion earlier this year, from 2019 the maximum ticket price for WordCamps will be $25/pp/day: this is the maximum price and organisers can charge less.

Reminder: Over the years we’ve kept allowing costs to rise for events as the economy dictates. This ticket cost is us catching up to what folks are spending. Not an indicator that we should spend more 🙂

WordCamp Incubator 2018 Update Thread: October edition

If you want to know more about how the Incubator Program read the comments!

#community, #community-team

Community Team Chats – November 01 2018

The Community Team meets twice a month, first and third Thursday, at two different times to cover different timezones.

Agenda and Slack logs from November 1st: 11:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC

Deputy Check-in

Everyone is busy and with WCUS coming up some of us are busier than ever. No blockers.

P2 posts needing review/feedback

Should WordCamp Websites Publish Sponsor-Provided Content?

The idea is to get the info from the community that might help us form a strategy around the issue. So far we have collected important feedback, comments are still open if you want to weigh in! As a reminder, we’re a consensus-seeking group, but not consensus-dependent.

WordCamp US 2018 – Community Team Plans – Will you be there? Is there something that you would like to work on (listed or not?) Please let us know!

Managing Online Classes – The Diversity Outreach Training team is looking for input on tools. They are looking for a more automated system for people to sign up for our classes and then receive reminders. Do you know of a tool that can help with that? Comment on the post!

Progressive Web App for WordCamps – Expanding the scope of the PWA created for WordCamp Europe 2018. What features should be there? We depend on our diverse team to help us identify all sorts of use cases!

There is an ongoing series about transforming WordCamp website shortcodes into Gutenberg blocks, and we are collecting feedback:

Highlighted P2 posts

Open Floor

We held our first WordCamp organisers chat on October 25th. It would be great to have it twice a month, so we can accomodate different timezones.

You can read the recap of the chat here and in the next few days a call for volunteers will go out, to find organisers for the Americas-friendly chat.

The UK community have started a sustainability document with ideas of how to improve sustainability at WordCamps and meetups, they will share their working document with us on the Community blog.

#community, #community-team