Summary of the weekly WordPress developers’ chat in the core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. channel at 20:00 UTC.
If you’re new to dev chat, you can find out more about this weekly meeting in the handbook.
Meeting facilitators: @marybaum and @webcommsat.
Agenda followed; thanks to @marybaum for preparing it.
Start of the meeting in the core channel of the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Summary from the November 23, 2022 dev chat.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 14.7 release due out shortly.
Voting is open for Core Team reps for 2023, until Friday, December 16, 2022.
3) Blog (versus network, site) posts of note
A Week in Core – December 5, 2022
Core Accessibility Team Rep nominations are open and will be reviewed on Friday, December 16, 2022.
4) Upcoming releases
a) The next major is 6.2.
b) The next minor is 6.1.2.
No updates from the release teams at this time.
5) Components and tickets
Quick/ Bulk Edit component update via @webcommsat
- #12940 has a discussion to close the ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. or go for an alternative option
- #16502 has a PR that is close to final review and merge for 6.2
Build/Test Tools component update via @sergeybiryukov
- Basic e2e coverage for Gutenberg was added. Ticket #57197 for details.
Date/Time, I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill., Permalinks component – @sergeybiryukov
- @webcommsat highlighted #57238 on WebP and the update from @adamsilverstein in the performance team’s meeting.
- @costdev mentioned a new PR for Requests 2.0.0 #54504. The new PR should resolve the case-sensitivity issue and preload Requests 1 files before the upgrade begins, and should prevent the fatal errors we saw in 5.9 Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 2. Discussion on plans for this for earlies: aim to review this week and hopefully committed soon after.
- @sergeybiryukov raised meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. ticket #6612, a discussion ticket for bumping the recommended PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher version to 8.0+
- @petitphp asked for review and testing of #43867 and adding to the 6.2 milestone.
Comments on these and other tickets can be added directly on the tickets themselves.
6) Open floor
@annezazu: Call for volunteers to try out a tool called Replay to capture bugs in a more comprehensive way as part of the FSE Outreach Program. If interested, please respond to this post by December 28, 2022.
Props to: @marybaum and @webcommsat for running dev chat, @dpotter05 for the summary, and to @webcommsat and @marybaum for review.