Agenda for June 29th Support Meeting

  • General Announcements
  • WordPress 4.8 – Any recurring issues?
  • New Forum Welcome
  • Call for testing: Gutenberg – The new editor experience coming to WordPress
  • Meeting time – Is it still at an OK time for the majority of attendees
  • Checking in with International Support Liaisons

For any other items to discuss please add them in the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

The meeting will be Thursday, June 29, 2017, 16:00 UTC in #forums on Slack. (a Slack account is required)

Rewriting the forum welcome

As we talked about at the Community Summit, rewriting the forum welcome and creating a dedicated forum rules page is something we should do.

There are some caveats, I’ve already created a Forum Rules page, it’s a copy of the current welcome page, but with the first line removed so far, and I’ve come up with a starting point (not the absolute text, feedback is definitely needed on this) for the new welcome page.

One thing to take note of, the current links we’ve used to link to the rules in the handbook will stop working, that’s why the start of the welcome page should link to the rules in some way (I talked with Otto, and replacing all existing links isn’t a simple task), this is also why I created the new rules page early, so that we can start linking to it when referencing things in posts.

Now, on to the suggestion for the forum welcome starting point:


Welcome to the WordPress.org support forums!

Please make sure you read the forum guidelines before contributing to WordPress support, both when asking for and giving support, this helps maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all involved.

Asking for support

Before posting, make sure it’s about a self hosted WordPress.org site and not a WordPress.com site (See WordPress.com vs WordPress.org to be sure).

Post your question in the appropriate forum, but don’t worry if you’re unsure about which one to use, we’ll help you regardless, and may even move it to the right forum for you if there’s a better place for it.

Remember to check the box for receiving email notifications from replies, this way you know when someone has answered your question, or might be requesting more information.

If you don’t feel entirely comfortable posting in the international forums, we’ve created a list of localized forums where you may also get help.

Once you’ve tried some solutions from someone helping you, it’s always a good idea to return to the topic and let people know what worked and what didn’t work, this can also help others in the future who might be searching having the same question you had.

Providing support

Find an area that interests you and look at what topics have gone unanswered. The list of unanswered topics from across the forums is a great starting point if you’re not quite sure where to start.

If a problem interests you, but you don’t already know the answer, view it as a great opportunity to learn along with the user asking, you can share how you research it and help each other learn and grow!

Remember to check the box for receiving email notifications when someone posts to a topic you participate in. This way you know if the one seeking help has provided feedback (did the issue get resolved, did something else happen and they have new information and so forth).

June 22nd Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

  • @clorith was chosen as the new support representative by the team members present at the Community Summit last week
  • We’re ending the robotic like messages to people who join our slack channel (it can be viewed as spammy), and are taking steps to make it more inviting to be a part of the support community, @bethannon1 will be heading up this endeavor
  • The Forum Welcome is being re-branded as the forum rules, and a more streamlined welcome page will being created
  • We are making a point of the primary forums being the international forums, not the English ones
  • The Also Viewing script, used to avoid overlap on answering topics, is now also works on rosetta sites
  • A call for tools used to maintain support flow (like the popular, but un-maintained, browser extension Lazarus) was put forth, so if you use any tools to help with your flow, please share it with the team!

It is also of note that we are welcoming participation during our weekly chats (or whenever really) in contributors own language, we understand that English may not be a language everyone is comfortable speaking and wish that those users also feel included and welcome. This meeting was the first one where we tried this approach, and it worked really well, we hope to see more international participation going forward!

WordPress 4.8

  • The various behaviors of the new rich text widget is creating some interesting cases for users (Ticket #40951)
  • Links can’t have their colours changed via the editor (Ticket #41033)
  • TinyMCE shows a warning, `Failed to load content CSS`, which isn’t always clear to users (explanations to this are available in our Master List)

Gutenberg

Gutenberg is the name of the new editor experience in WordPress, take note that it is a completely rewritten editor page (meta boxes and such as well), and not just the TinyMCE editor as many (my self included) first thought.

Because it is such a large change, we expect many plugins that interact with the editor or the plugin screen it self, to have strange behavior, so please do test and provide feedback and bugreports when applicable. The Gutenberg team have asked that any reports be sent inn via GitHub where the project is being developed.

Community Summit Summary

A brief summary from the community summit is available, as some actionable items were already being brought into play as early as possible to help keep the ball in motion. A more detailed post will be written once all the notes are collected from the various talks that were had during the summit.

Checkin with non-English support liaisons

The Italian, Russian, Swedish and Portuguese support communities are doing well. The Portuguese community is also making a move to try and bring their support over to the forums and away from social media. They’ll be sharing their post about it once it is ready.

Attendance

@alchymyth, @bcworkz, @bdbrown, @bethannon1, @clorith, @contentiskey, @cristianozanca, @numeeja, @denzel_chia, @erricgunawan, @francescodicandia, @francescout, @glorialchemica, @ipstenu, @jdembowski, @jmdodd, @karpstrucking, @lasacco, @liamdempsey, @macmanx, @kidsguide, @pmfonseca, @sergeybiryukov, @stephencottontail, @sterndata, @t-p, @tnash, @tobifjellner, @vitormadeira, @wido, @zodiac1978 and @zoonini attended.

 

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

Agenda for June 22nd Support Meeting

  • General Announcements
  • WordPress 4.8 – Any recurring issues?
  • Gutenberg – The new editor experience coming to WordPress
  • Community Summit Summary
  • Checking in with International Support Liaisons

For any other items to discuss please add them in the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

The meeting will be Thursday, June 22, 2017, 16:00 UTC in #forums on Slack. (a Slack account is required)

2017 Community Summit Support Team Brief Summary

There will be a more detailed and official roundup of the 2017 Community Summit topics posted in the not too distant future, but with our meeting coming up shortly, I figured it would be good to briefly summarize items that will affect the Support Team directly.

I hope you’re all as excited about them as we are. 🙂

New Forum Welcome

The current Forum Welcome has become a bit overbearing from a “welcome” standpoint. Over the next few weeks, we’ll re-title that to Forum Rules and create a new Forum Welcome with two short sections on both Getting Support and Giving Support.

Along with being more welcoming in the handbook, @bethannon1 is now our official Volunteer Coordinator, and she’ll be taking point welcoming new volunteers to our support community. We have received a fair amount of negative feedback about our “somewhat robotic” handbook links for new channel joiners, so instead, Bet will now be reaching out to new joiners directly with a more personal welcome.

Later on, we’ll be exploring adding some sort of call to join the meetings which appears to WordPress.org users after a certain number of support replies, and also email notifications to plugin/theme developers when their support forums fill up.

As for meetings, let’s open them with a note to clarify that everyone watching is welcome to participate, and on low-agenda days include community-building items like “What cool things have you done with WordPress?”

An International Community

We’re taking steps to become a more international community overall, rather than separate communities of separate languages. To start off, we’ll being referring to the “English Forums” as the “International Forums” from here on out. We’ll no longer immediately redirect questions asked in other languages. Instead, try to answer them yourself in your native language if you can successfully translate the question. If you can’t do that, and the question goes unanswered for more than a day, use the pre-defined reply under “Non-English Support Request”. In the future, we’ll add language tagging once tagging is fixed so that we can tag topics without replying to them.

As for meetings, all languages are now welcome. We all know how to use translators, so we should allow everyone to participate in their own native languages. Additionally, sarcasm and cliches don’t translate well, so we should avoid those from now on.

We won’t be getting rid of specific locales, participation in the overall International Forums and meeting is only a recommendation.

Orientations and Workshops

@bethannon1 will be taking the lead on organizing monthly volunteer orientations, geared as both an introduction for new volunteers and a reminder for established volunteers. They will cover a training-like Handbook walkthrough, sample questions with group answers and feedback, and an overview of cultural tone differences when it comes to English.

We’ll also be planning monthly plugin/theme support workshops, led by representatives from some very recognizable names in the WordPress community (a different one each month). The workshops will be held at a time that is comfortable for the leader and cover how they provide support for their plugins/themes.

Remaining Forum Fixes

We managed to knock down our previous very large list of things we miss from bbPress 1 and new things we need down to this much smaller (and far more possible to complete) list sorted by priority:

  1. Allow moderators to add notes to users – 2272
  2. All w.org users should be able to report posts or topics – 1956
  3. Forum RSS Feed Issues – 2204
  4. Add a way to sort topics in forum profiles by recent activity – 2470
  5. Option to set default value of “Notify me of follow-up posts via email” in profile – 6
  6. Old topics are no longer automatically closed after 1 year – 2265
  7. Moving a topic from one forum to another forum results in a 500 error – 1955
  8. Last Post ignores post status – 2043
  9. Add support for custom titles on support forums – 1950
  10. Moderators should have a way to edit user profiles – 1985
  11. Spamming a user should flag topics and replies as spam and remove custom profile data – 1960

One More Thing

It is with great pleasure that I present to you your new Support Team Representative: @clorith!

The role should change regularly, and after a quick vote of summit attendees, Marius won unanimously!

Representing support for software that powers over 28% of the web is no easy task. Marius has been a great deputy representative for times when I was unable to cover my duties, and I have no doubt that he will continue to lead the team to great things.

I gladly pass the microphone to you, my friend. 🙂

June 8th Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.8

The known issues for 4.8 are live, props to @clorith and @zoonini for wrangling that!

Support Team at WordCamp Europe 2017

We don’t have any team-specific plans outside of the WordCamp Europe 2017 schedule at this time.

Our final proposals for the Community Summit topics have been submitted, but we likely won’t know which topics are chosen until the day of. Even if our topics are not chosen, those of us at the Summit will of course continue to represent the Support Team and our users during all of the discussions.

Support Team at Contributor Day will be a wonderful informal gathering. No workshops, slides, or grand speeches. We’ll meet new contributors, get to know each other, share some thoughts on support, and maybe even answer some topics.

Next Meeting

Since next Thursday is Contributor Day at WordCamp Europe, I don’t intend to have a formally scheduled meeting with an agenda. If that changes, there will be an agenda posted here as always, otherwise the next meeting will be Thursday, June 22, 2017, 16:00 UTC in #forums on Slack. (a Slack account is required)

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

Attendance

@macmanx @vitormadeira @pmfonseca @bcworkz @bdbrown @clorith @contentiskey @numeeja @sterndata @fierevere @jcastaneda @cristianozanca @zoonini @t-p @tobifjellner @anevins @keesiemeijer @liamdempsey @stephencottontail @lasacco @voldemortensen @sergeybiryukov @kenshino @bethannon1 attended

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

Agenda for June 8th Support Meeting

  • General Announcements
  • WordPress 4.8 RC 2
  • Community Summit and Contributor Day Flight Check
  • Checkin with International Support Liaisons

For any other items to discuss please add them in the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

The meeting will be Thursday, June 8, 2017, 16:00 UTC in #forums on Slack. (a Slack account is required)

Note: June 15 will be Contributor Day at WordCamp Europe 2017, so there will not be a formally scheduled meeting with an agenda next week.

June 1st Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.7.5

We have nothing new to add to the known issues for 4.7 this week.

This is the last week we’ll discuss 4.7. Next week will be all about 4.8.

WordPress 4.8 Release Candidate 1

WordPress 4.8 Release Candidate 1 is here! Please make sure that you’re testing via something like the Beta Tester plugin, Varying Vagrant Vagrants, or Chassis, and pay extra attention to the new Text widget and anything else involving TinyMCE.

If you have any other fun/easy beta testing methods to share, please do so in the comments below!

Community Summit Topic Proposals

After a good discussion, we have all agreed to submit these as the Support Team’s proposals for this year’s Community Summit:

  • Continue 2015’s discussion about how to make/keep the support community welcoming and open, while at the same time encouraging quality replies.
  • Go through the remaining items on the lists of known issues and requested enhancements. – (Meta assistance needed)
  • Create a common style guide (best practices) that can be used across all forum language.

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

Attendance

@macmanx @clorith @vitormadeira @mattdevelop @pmfonseca @erricgunawan @bdbrown @lasacco @stephencottontail @cristianozanca @t-p @numeeja @jdembowski @jcastaneda @vishalmukadam @anevins @zoonini @abletec @bethannon1 @tobifjellner @kenshino @bcworkz @ketuchetan attended

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

Agenda for June 1st Support Meeting

  • General Announcements
  • WordPress 4.7.5
  • WordPress 4.8 RC 1
  • Community Summit Topic Proposals
  • Checkin with International Support Liaisons

For any other items to discuss please add them in the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

The meeting will be Thursday, June 1, 2017, 16:00 UTC in #forums on Slack. (a Slack account is required)

X-posting Proposal: WordPress Community Conduct Project

Please read + comment on the original post.

Proposal: WordPress Community Conduct Project