If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel start at this message in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live. If an update relates to a task, please also update the relevant GitHub card which is the main project tracking area for the team.
- The agenda followed for the meeting on October 12, 2022. GitHub card #117 for the week
- The meeting was prepared and facilitated by Team Reps: @nalininonstopnewsuk, @lmurillom, and @eidolonnight. Thanks to @bjmcsherry for stepping in to help live in the meeting.
- Meeting notes: @robinwpdeveloper
- Notes Editor/Review: @nalininonstopnewsuk, @webcommsat, @lmurillom.
- GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ support: @webcommsat @vimes1984 @lmurillom and @meher.
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start. You can also visit the team’s GitHub task board and join any card you are interested in. All you need is a GitHub account, and then you can add a comment to the relevant card.
2. Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack thread. We welcome people from across all time zones to participate.
- Social question of the week from @nalininonstopnewsuk: What is your favorite tree or one that is often seen in your locality? Could you submit a photo of it to #WPPhotos? Read replies from the team on this Slack thread.
3. Volunteer to be a notetaker or a coffee break facilitator
Thank you to our notetaking volunteers for the next few weeks. How to information for the team’s notes are available in the Marketing Team Handbook.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked in the list below by date. If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card for the relevant week. There are contributors available to help anyone get started with the team GitHub, message in the main Marketing slack channel and include @nalininonstopnewsuk in your message.
The team notes from October 5, 2022 — will be linked once published.
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for note-takers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub card.
12 October 2022 GitHub #117 – @robinwpdeveloper
19 October 2022 GitHub #119 – @kawserz
26 October 2022 GitHub #120 – @vimes1984
Forward planning for the next few weeks after this – please read Nalini’s earlier message and if you would like to help on a future date too.
Thank you to @webcommsat for running the APAC-time session for new notetakers. Attendees commented on its usefulness and welcome.
b) Help to facilitate a coffee break?
We are looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee break for the bi-weekly coffee break.
Check out the GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list! Read the updated guide on facilitating a coffee break and volunteer. More on the next coffee break in the diary dates section of the meeting.
4. Marketing project and task updates
GitHub links and check-ins
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available. We will be bringing GitHub cards to this meeting for a regular status check-in. These are also shared on the GitHub planning card.
4a. Social media update
i) WordPress.tv videos on YouTube
WPTV content is now automatically uploaded to YouTube. It will be reviewed and scheduled alongside our other social content every week.
ii) Social media amplification
@eidolonnight: The WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts there.
This is a good first task for new contributors. You can get started participating in our online conversations and/or contributing content to one of our active campaigns. Just comment here and tag any of the people listed in the “Process” section of that GitHub issue. Content and fresh ideas welcome.
@bjmcsherry: Facebook is having some issues with their stats this week, so tune in next week for an update on social performance.
4b. Updates on forthcoming WordPress releases and FSE
WordPress 6.1 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) Now Available. Marketing & Communications co-lead, @dansoschin , for any other 6.1 release updates in this thread.
Update provided via @dansoschin:
4c. Contributor events update
WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia
Does anyone know of any other WordCamp or WordPress Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. contributor days/ events which are likely to have a marketing table?
4d. Newsletters and series
Month in WordPress: The draft for the September 2022 edition of The Month in WordPress is ready for review. @rmartinezduque is hoping to publish it on Friday, October 14, 2022. If you have any suggestions, please share them before the end of the day tomorrow (October 13, 2022).
Annual WordPress Meetup Survey reminder: The Community Team is doing another outreach effort to encourage meetup organizers and members to complete the Annual WordPress Meetup Survey, which is available in 14 languages. The deadline for responses is October 15, 2022.
People of WordPress: update from @webcommsat: Awaiting a revised date for publication due to the volume of other items scheduled for this month with the release. Work continues on the People of WordPress post scheduled for later this month, which @meher has been leading.
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Our next Coffee break will be Thursday October 20, 2022 at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC. We still need a facilitator!
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
No additional GitHub or cross team updates were advised.
You can join the GitHub card #119 for next week’s meeting on October 19, 2022. The meeting will take place in this channel at 15:00 UTC.