The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Please add any comments on the related Marketing Tasks GitHub issue or in the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
- This meeting was organized on GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ card #247
- 13 contributors
- Link to attendance thread in Slack
- WCUS is coming up on Thursday, 24 August. Will you be attending?
- @eidolonnight, @ngreennc, @ninianepress, @courane01, @sereedmedia, @wpfiddlybits
- Team reps @ngreennc and @sereedmedia will be in attendance at Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. to lead the table
- Upcoming WordCamps that may have Contributor Days:
- 2023-08-24, WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US, National Harbor, Maryland (USA).
- 2023-09-07, WordCamp Netherlands, Arnhem (Netherlands)
- 2023-09-09, WordCamp Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
- 2023-09-14, WordCamp Finland, Tampere (Finland).
- 2023-10-19, WordCamp Germany, Gerolstein (Germany)
- The next Coffee and Collaboration session will be on Thursday, 13 July, 2023 at 18:30 UTC.
- If no other topics come up, we will look at and discuss open GitHub issues.
- News: WPBriefing: Episode 59: A Polyglot’s WordPress
- People of WordPress: Allison Dye
- Project: WordPress 6.3 Beta 3
WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media updates
- Social Media stats
- This was a good week for WordPress dotorg. We improved on all metrics with a busier week, which was also tied into the release of WP 6.3 BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 2. Several campaigns were able to improve on performances as well which was great to see as the community was more active this week. Our net-new followers improved by almost 4%, with 775 new community members added. We still had some losses with Twitter, but a reduced number (-53) helped keep the overall numbers higher. More impressive is that while impressions did rise, we actually saw engagements increase at a higher rate (1,405 total) which helped our engagement rate hit 2%, which is a great number to see.
- The overall performance was strong from a campaign perspective. During the week, several campaigns performed well, but this week belonged to the WP 6.3 release of Beta 2 with the top 3 top performing campaigns. This campaign drove high engagement and, most importantly, click engagement to the website, including 1,986 clicks in just 4 posts.
- Here is a look at the numbers for the week:
- Impressions: 190,247
- Engagements: 4,063
- Link clicks: 1,405
- Engagement Rate: 2.0%
- No new issues
- Marketing Team management
- Project marketing
- Showcase Guidelines and Content Moderation #221
- This particular issue may be approaching “last call” status being discussed.
- People of WordPress: Allison D #234
- Let’s add People of WordPress (POWP) tickets to the cycle of amplification once we finalize the process.
- Should be a separate process from main POWP GitHub issue, amplification request made when the GitHub tickets to build them are completed.
- We need to explain OR have GitHub card or post that explains the Amplification process
- Some POWP are missing from Twitter, the issues were likely with Jetpack not posting to Twitter
- Amplification tool has the potential to be an extremely valuable tool to get the word out
- Showcase Guidelines and Content Moderation #221
- Facilitate Make Team Coffee Break #23
- Can we call some attention to this and maybe schedule some facilitators?
- Agree with suggestion to close this ticket
- Right now the session is mostly being hosted by Team Reps. We can continue to slowly build out this program.
- There is a difference between hosting the session technically (with a Zoom or Meet account) and facilitating the session in terms of collaboration. Currently, facilitation is being done on a topic basis.
- From @sereedmedia: We’ve moved the Contributor Tool into the wpmarketingteam repo and are working through its coding issues. Being discussed in this thread for reference: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1688408031044499
- From @chaion07: Can someone please guide me on how I can be contributing to marketing in a more frequent basis?
- Look through GitHub issues listed for topics in line with your interests, and tag team reps with questions
- From @sereedmedia: Commercial promotion is not a part of the Make Marketing Team’s purview and we do not promote businesses or brands in this channel. Please post only WordPress.org and Make.WordPress.org content.
Our next meeting is 11 July, 2023 at 15:00 UTC.
- Marketing Team meeting and weekly planning #252
Note: This post is backdated to the correct Notes posting date of July 10, 2023. Was published on August 14, 2023. – SR