The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel on Slack start with this message in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live or for its full duration. If an update relates to a task, please also update the relevant GitHub card on the GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ tasks board. This is the main project tracking area for the team.
- Meeting notes: @robinwpdeveloper
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start. You can also visit the team’s GitHub task board and join any card you are interested in. All you need is a GitHub account to add a comment or update to a relevant card/ ticket.
The Slack thread lists who came along to the meeting live or asynchronously.
1b. Social Question
What is your 2023 WordPress resolution? Do you have any holiday celebration pictures which can be shared in #WPPhotos?
You can read replies in this Slack thread. It is a good way to start getting to know some of the other contributors in the team if you are new to it.
2. Contribution opportunities
2a. Can you help take notes?
Thank you to our note-taking volunteers for the next few weeks.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked below by date. We set up cards a couple of weeks in advance of each meeting. Please message any team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. on Slack if you are unsure how to add comments to the GitHub card.
If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card (links below) for the relevant week.
Jan 31, 2023 GitHub #163 – any takers??
Add your name to the GitHub roster / rota at GitHub card #138.
We have a discussion to continue our efforts to make the note taking easier to do. You can join the discussion on GitHub card #148.
2b. Help to facilitate a coffee break?
The team is looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop in the bi-weekly coffee break. Check out GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list if you’re interested. We even have a complete guide for facilitators to help.
3. Marketing Team News
3a. New Team Reps
They are facilitating a discussion on the goals for the 2023 Marketing team. You can join the discussion on GitHub card #165
4) Marketing project and task updates
4a. Open GitHub issues
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available.
Three issues from last meeting’s Open Floor:
- Ongoing updates to the design and functionality of make.WordPress.org.
- Showcase has been redesigned and will potentially be coordinated through marketing in the future. This has been added to the macro card #55.
- Folks are coordinating the process regarding Marketing Team badges for WP profiles: GitHub card #153
Current open cards … please add your input to the card, discussion here is welcome as well:
- The Month in WordPress: December 2022 Edition to be finalized January 19: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/154
- 6.1 Release Social Content Idea: “Behind the Scenes” for Twenty Twenty-Three: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/128
- Open People of WordPress cards: 104, 133, 156, 146
- Update Style Guide and Brand Book handbook page: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/73
- Polyglots Outreach Effort and Posts: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/139
- Updating the Marketing team description: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/87
4b. WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media updates
Our WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts if you would like to help craft content.
We still have an open conversation about Help create plan for short form video on Tik Tok #114. If you’re a video creator and would like to help, please chime in.
It was an interesting week for WordPress this week. While Impressions and engagements are down slightly, we actually saw a remarkable increase in our coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. metric which was net-new followers over the week with 1,803 new followers for the week. This is a 15.3% growth over the previous week and included almost 200 new followers with Twitter as we start to see some normalcy in both performance and engagement again on the platform.
Part of the overall performance came from the WP News post for WordPress 20th Anniversary campaign. This was not only the top campaign but actually had the top 2 of 3 for the week, overall with social. The other campaign is part of the Learn WP series which also drove some of the highest levels of engagement for WordPress as these and others continue to see a very positive response and engagement from our followers.
Here is a look at some of the performance numbers for the last week:
- Impressions: 210,137
- Engagements: 4,265
- Link clicks: 1,001
- Net-new Followers: 1,803
These numbers are aggregated across all platforms listed here.
4c. Contributor events update
- WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. awareness: February 17, 2023 – GitHub ticket #108. Please add to the card if you intend to be at the contributor day and involved in the marketing table. If you would like to help organize the table, you can volunteer too.
- If you are aware of any other WordCamp or WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. contributor days/ events in 2023 which are likely to have a marketing table, please add to the thread.
4d. Make WordPress Publications Roundup
- The December 2022 edition of The Month in WordPress will be finalized January 19. GitHub card: The Month in WordPress: December 2022 Edition #154.
- #WPPhotos: @Reyes Martínez has shared this brief questionnaire to help gather some photo stories for social media. She will coordinate and collaborate with those who expressed interest to circulate it and encourage people to share any stories behind their photo contributions. The GitHub card is currently: WordPress Photo Directory Social Media Campaign – #WPPhotos #80 (comment).
- People of WordPress: Updates will be added to the respective GitHub card: 104, 133, 156, 146
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
Training team wants awareness to these 2 items
work began on #WP20 – the 20th anniversary celebration of WordPress. You can read the initial post here: https://wordpress.org/news/2023/01/wordpress-is-turning-20-lets-celebrate/
7. Next Steps
Next week’s meeting will be on January 24, 2023, at 15:00 UTC (GitHub card #162).