If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting live due to differences in time zones and other commitments, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and give your updates. If you are working on a task, please also update the relevant GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ ticket in the WordPress Marketing Team repository.
2. Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack thread. We welcome people from across all time zones to participate.
- Social question of the week from @nalininonstopnewsuk: In the spirit of WordPress Translation Day, what is your favorite language, and do you watch films in other languages? Read the replies from contributors on Slack.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
Thank you to our notetaking volunteers for the next few weeks. How-to information for the team’s notes are available in the Marketing Team Handbook. We will be adding screenshots to help contributors less familiar with updating the blog site.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked in the list below by date. If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card for the relevant week. There are contributors available to help anyone get started with the team GitHub, message in the main Marketing slack channel and include @nalininonstopnewsuk in your message.
Team notes from 21 September 2022 — props to @santanainniss for drafting and @nalininonstopnewsuk for reviewing.
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for notetakers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub card.
05 October 2022 – @adeebmalik
12 October 2022 – @Robin
19 October 2022 – (update) @kawserz
Help to facilitate a coffee break?
We are seeking contributors to volunteer to open the virtual bi-weekly coffee break.
Check out GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list! Read the updated guide on facilitating a coffee break and volunteer. Free versions of Zoom and Google Meet can be used, you do not need to have a pro account.
4. Marketing project and task updates
Update from @eidolonnight
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available.
Also, if you’re a member of the WordPress Github organization and have 2 Factor Authentication disabled, please enable it on your GitHub account, as it will soon be required. You can enable it here: https://github.com/settings/security
4a. Updates on WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media accounts and how you can help
A reminder from @eidolonnight, you can find details for helping share and amplify WordPress news on social media in the WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7). You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts there.
This is a good first task for new contributors. You can get started participating in our online conversations and/or contributing content to one of our active campaigns. You can post in this thread and tag any of the people listed in the “Process” section of that GitHub issue.
We had several great ideas come in from new contributors at Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US (WCUS). Read our brainstorm document for more info: WCUS Social Content Brainstorm
4b. Updates on forthcoming WordPress releases and FSE
@dansoschin subbed in for WordPress 6.1 Marketing & Communications Lead, @jpantani, for 6.1 release updates. Dan noted WordPress 6.1 Beta 2 shipped on 27 September 2022 and is now available. He will be sharing links in the #marketing channel to start work on the About Page later in the week. (More on this later in the notes)
4c. Contributor events update
- WordCamp Asia’s Contributor Day is 17 February 2023. If you will be at Contributor Day and involved in the marketing table please add to GitHub ticket #108.
- For anyone who would like to act as table leads, the table leads from WCEU and WCUS can certainly help.
- @nalininonstopnewsuk inquired if anyone knows any other WordCamp or WordPress Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. contributor days/ events which are likely to have a marketing table?
4d. Newsletters and series
- Month in WordPress: If you have any news or Make team updates that would be valuable and relevant for the September 2022 edition, please feel free to add them as a comment to this GitHub card #109 by Friday, 30 September 2022. Note that this edition could go out on 10 October 2022.
- @rmartinezduque will keep us informed on her progress and the final publication date.
- Annual WordPress Meetup Survey: The Community Team would like to conduct another outreach effort to encourage meetup organizers and members to complete the Annual WordPress Meetup Survey (available in 14 languages). The deadline has been set as October 15, 2022.
- People of WordPress: Copy editing for the current edition is in progress, there is a delay due to the geographic situation in the country of the person to be featured. This is likely to be published in a few days.
Photos directory initiative (GitHub card #80) for World Photography Day.
Please continue to submit your photos, and if you would like to share a story behind the photo you sent and the place it represents, please feel free to reach out to @rmartinezduque on the #marketing or @photos channel on the Make WordPress Slack.
These are some examples of photo stories shared on Twitter as part of the #WPPhotos campaign. These were also shared across other WordPress.org social platforms:
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Our next Coffee break will be Thursday October 6, 2022 at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC. We still need a facilitator!
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
Suggestions for social media posts: @amitpatelmd has some ideas/suggestions for social media posts, specifically around hashtags that may be relevant to WordPress topics and their various audiences. He sees great content being published—both on the WordPress.org official account and posts shared by community members—and wants to help extend the reach of this content to audiences via organic content SEO as opposed to only relying on promoted ads. Amit will draft some bullet points for Marketing’s review and discussion.
@eidolonnight asked Amit to share his ideas/suggestions in the WordPress Social Media Amplification card (GitHub card #7) to help ensure these ideas/suggestions don’t get lost and so that contributors get the credit they deserve.
Join the GitHub card #116 for next week’s meeting on 5 October 2022 at 15:00 UTC in the Marketing Team channel on the WordPress Slack.
- @dansoschin shared the draft to WordPress 6.1 About Page and welcomes edits. A few notes:
- Many thanks to @annezazu for her work in the exploration of 6.1 and for seeding a lot of the copy.
- The About Page is not seen by all WordPress users. It’s seen by users after they have upgraded and if they have access to the dashboard. More promotional content/copy about features/benefits will go into the news release that will be created in a few weeks.
- This doc is a starter, so it is not meant to be complete. If you worked on something that is compelling enough to be included, please add it even if you are not comfortable with writing copy, as the team can help refine it for you. The same for features. If you feel another feature should be included, please add it.
- Please track any changes using the Suggest Edit mode.
- Major edits will close on 06 October 2022.