The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
@nalininonstopnewsuk covered the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) and inclusion support today. If anyone has an accessibility issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know.
2. Meeting Notes
Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned/requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
@nalininonstopnewsuk updated: in response to requests from accessibility perspectives and those joining asynchronously, please try and use the agenda numbers when replying or updating on an action. We have been testing the use of this numbering to help those who can not use threads and as part of our efforts to be inclusive.
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
4) Update on WordPress Release 5.8 and FSE – Josepha
- @chanthaboune consolidated all of the feedback from our group About Page collaboration, it should be in CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. by next Tuesday, 29 June 2021.
- There is a new marketing lead for wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ (more details here) who will be attending Marketing meetings after the WP5.8 release.
- If you have experience creating social media awareness kits, please let @webcommsat know. We will be working on one for the About Page.
- Feel free to leave comments on the Draft section of the document Josepha shared.
- @chanthaboune will check on the suggestions that were made regarding external media outlets on the post “Suggestions for external Channels on FSE info”
5a) Learn Audit Tool Discussion
- We are continuing to discuss the Learn WordPress proposal for an audit tool and how it could be potentially used as a marketing team audit tool as well.
- @courane01 can help answer any terminology questions and has met with #docs about the audit tool idea. HelpHub, DevHub, Docs and Learn all have significant content needs with WP release updates.
- The audit tool specifically digs in to where we have content in particular – screenshots, videos, articles etc to modify with updates.
- To get more context around the use cases for the audit tool, please read the entire discussion in Slack.
- Please participate in the shared document where we can add how we think an audit tool like this could be of benefit to our work in marketing and how we would work together with Learn WordPress, Training, Docs, etc. Link in Slack.
- If you have any questions or want to work further on this, please contact @webcommsat and @courane01. The deadline is 7 July 2021.
5b) Brand Guidelines on Learn WordPress
Update provided by: @courane01
- The brand guidelines have been highlighted as a top priority item for Learn WordPress.
- There are several instructional designers coming aboard as sponsored contributors to Learn from Automattic. Hugh will be coordinating with them, Marketing/Training, and Community/Foundation folks to get this idea through.
- Any content on Learn that mentions a pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme/etc. by name is at the moment, on hold.
- Please reach out to @courane01 if you’d like to be involved in this, and comment on the shared document. Link in Slack.
5c) and 5d) Social Media Promotions
- Thank you to those who amplified the upcoming #WPDiversity event, as well as Online Meetups on social.
- Please share the the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn and the Meetups shared on the @wordpressevents Twitter feed.
- Please share #WPDiversity posts on WordCamp Twitter (Versions of this are available on WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Facebook and WordPress Events Facebook pages too.)
- Please share the LinkedIn post on WordPress 5.8 Beta 3
- We need some more hands! Please reply to this thread if you have experience writing copy for social media.
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 30 June 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.