The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel on Slack start with this message in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live or for its full duration. If an update relates to a task, please also update the relevant GitHub card on the GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ tasks board. This is the main project tracking area for the team.
- Meeting notes: @abidhasan112
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start. You can also visit the team’s GitHub task board and join any card you are interested in. All you need is a GitHub account to add a comment or update to a relevant card/ ticket.
2. Marketing Team News
2a. New Team Reps
- Completed 2023’s first meeting and posted the meeting notes: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2023/01/23/notes-global-marketing-team-meeting-jan-17-2023/
- Ongoing discussion on the goals for the 2023 Marketing team. You can join the discussion on GitHub card #165: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/discussions/165
3) Marketing project and task updates
3a. Open GitHub issues
From last meeting’s open floor:
- Training team drawing awareness to these 2 items (x-posted)
- Project Overview: Learning Needs Analysis: https://make.wordpress.org/training/2023/01/14/project-overview-learning-needs-analysis/
- Project Thread: Learning Needs Analysis: https://make.wordpress.org/training/2023/01/16/project-thread-learning-needs-analysis/
- Work is beginning on #WP20 – the 20th anniversary celebration of WordPress. You can read the initial post here: https://wordpress.org/news/2023/01/wordpress-is-turning-20-lets-celebrate/
- The new Developer blog is gathering ideas for topics. There is a call for input and for writers for a number of dev topics already suggested: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2023/01/12/can-you-help-with-topics-for-the-wordpress-developer-blog/
- WCUS 2023 still needs a PR/Comms team lead. Do you have WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizing experience and excitement to lead this team? Please apply: https://us.wordcamp.org/2023/wcus-organizing-team/
Open Marketing GitHub cards:
- Showcase has been redesigned and will potentially be coordinated through marketing in the future: https://make.wordpress.org/meta/2022/12/14/showcase-visual-refresh/
- 6.1 Release Social Content Idea: “Behind the Scenes” for Twenty Twenty-Three: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/128
- People of WordPress cards: 104, 133, 156, 146
- Create plan for short-form video content on Tiktok: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/114
- Update Style Guide and Brand Book handbook page: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/73
- Polyglots Outreach Effort and Posts: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/139
- The January 2023 edition of The Month in WordPress will be finalized on February 3. Editing and review at GitHub card: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/166
- Updating the Marketing team description – FINAL CALL for contribution is 26 January 2023! Get your comments in: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/87
3b. WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media updates
Our WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts if you would like to help craft content.
- Help create plan for short form video on Tik Tok #114. If you’re a video creator and would like to help, please chime in.
WordPress had a successful week this past week as we scored the highest amount of net-new followers for WordPress ever in a weekly period. With 1,946 new followers (a 6.9% increase over last week), we passed our September high when WordCamp US was running. Considering we didn’t have any major events this week (SOTW, WordCamp US/Asia/Europe) this is a milestone week for us. Impressions increased and while engagements are down, that can be attributed to a couple of campaigns that were more announcement only posts with no CTAs asking for direct clicks to the website. Instagram continues its meteoric rise with new followers again adding another 508 followers alone.
Part of the overall performance came from the WP News post on “Why WordPress” and WPDiversity. These 2 campaigns ended up in the top 3 for the week respectively. The WP News post actually ended up with 2 posts in the top 3.
Here is a look at some of the performance numbers for the last week:
Link clicks: 1,067
Engagement Rate: 1.6%
3c. Contributor events update
- WordCamp Asia Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. is February 17, 2023. Please add your name to the card if you intend to be at/ involved in contributor day, whether in person or remote. Please add ideas for contribution tasks whether or not you can attend! GitHub ticket #108: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/108
- Are you aware of any other WordCamp or WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. contributor days/ events in 2023 which are likely to have a marketing table?
3d. Make WordPress Publications Roundup
The January 2023 edition of The Month in WordPress will be finalized on February 3:
- GitHub card: The Month in WordPress: January 2023 Edition #166.
#WPPhotos: @Reyes Martinez has shared this brief questionnaire to help gather some photo stories for social media. She will coordinate and collaborate with those who expressed interest to circulate it and encourage people to share any stories behind their photo contributions. The GitHub card is: WordPress Photo Directory Social Media Campaign – #WPPhotos #80 (comment), but there will probably be a dedicated card opened soon.
4. Open floor
@courane01 said: Training team is considering how we assess content on LearnWP that needs to be created or revised with a release.
Specifically, I think about how Learn is featured on every release About page that marketing helps to organize.
ALSO: Cross-team collaboration opportunity during WC Asia
Last week I shared that Training is starting to create a needs analysis.
If you’d like to collaborate together, share some feedback on this post:
5. Next Steps
Next week’s meeting will be on January 31, 2023, at 15:00 UTC (Github card link).