If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome & Introductions
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel on Slack start with this message in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live or for its full duration. If an update relates to a task, please also update the relevant GitHub card on the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ tasks board. This is the main project tracking area for the team.
- The meeting Agenda followed for the meeting on November 23, 2022. GitHub card number #124 for the week.
- The meeting was facilitated by Team Reps: @nalininonstopnewsuk, @lmurillom and @eidolonnight
- Meeting notes: @bjmcsherry
- Meeting notes editor/ reviewer: @nalininonstopnewsuk
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start. You can also visit the team’s GitHub task board and join any card you are interested in. All you need is a GitHub account to add a comment or update to a relevant card/ ticket.
2a) Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack thread. We welcome people from across all time zones to participate.
2b) Social Question
In this part of the agenda, we focus on team building. It is open to existing team members, new contributors and people from other teams that come to marketing regularly.
3. Volunteer to be a notetaker or a coffee break facilitator
Thank you to our notetaking volunteers for the next few weeks. How to information for the team’s notes are available in the Marketing Team Handbook.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked in the list below by date. If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card for the relevant week. There are contributors available to help anyone get started with the team GitHub, message in the main Marketing slack channel and include @nalininonstopnewsuk in your message.
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for note-takers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub card.
30 November 2022 GitHub #125 – @slspeller911
Opportunity: You can volunteer to be on the rota/ roster by adding your name and the week to the notes planning card #138. There are some slots available in December.
Thank you to everyone who has volunteered for November and some dates in December. There are still opportunities to volunteer. You can find the rota at this GitHub card #138. The meeting on 28 December 2022 will not take place.
b) Help to facilitate a coffee break?
The team is looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop in the bi-weekly coffee break. Facilitating is easy, and we even have an updated guide to help. Check out the GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list if you’re interested.
The team is also exploring restarting an alternate timezone coffee break to enable more people from different time zones to participate. This could be alternating between an early and a late UTC coffee break. We use UTC as WordPress.org is a global open-source project. You can add comments and if you would be interested in an early UTC coffee break to the discussion on GitHub card #137.
The alternatives times suggested so far and in previous discussions are alternating between 09:00 UTC and 18:30 UTC. Another time suggested was alternating three time cycles, 09:00 UTC (or earlier), 14:30 UTC and 18:30 UTC. @santanainniss offered to host a coffee hour on December 1st at 11:00AM UTC.
@jpantani also offered to experiment a future iteration of Coffee time. Suggesting to host one that’s friendly to the western part of the Americas and Eastern regions of APAC, at 00:00 UTC (4pm Pacific.)
4. Team Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. Nominations
A reminder that the team is recruiting team reps for 2023. You can read more about it in the article on the Marketing blog site.
Please do read this and think about volunteering or nominating someone who could do this role for the next year.
A recap of the timetable from the article.
6 December 2022, 09:00 UTC: close nominations and confirm with those who have been nominated, if they wish to be considered for 2023 before making an announcement on election nominees or results if no election is needed.
Share a list of nominations in the Slack and update this post. A link to how to vote, if needed, will be shared during the global Marketing Team meeting. This will give anyone unable to attend an opportunity to vote after the meeting.
14 December 2022, 09:00 UTC: if an election is needed, this will run until this date and time. Results will be announced in the team meeting on 14 December at 15:00 UTC.
Team social, date tbc: invite all the previous and 2023 team reps to a social and thank you on behalf of the team and community. Previous year team reps will also be invited to this. The event will be a creative doodle and sharing of favorite places session, suggested from the year’s social questions.
1 January 2023: New reps will start their role for the year at the beginning of 2023.
Help share a date for a team social for January – would you suggest first or second week of January, and have any comments on date and time?
5. Marketing project and task updates
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available. Thank you to everyone who has been helping progress and update cards.
5a. Updates on WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media accounts and how you can help
The WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts if you would like to help craft content.
This week specifically, State of the Word 2022 has been officially announced and will take place on December 15, 2022, 1–2:30 P.M. EST (18–19:30 UTC). Please share with your personal networks and help spread the word. The announcement posts are linked below:
There are a couple open discussions you can get involved with.
WordPress.org had a very strong week over the past week with our social campaigns. Our core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. metrics rose across the board with a solid stream of content that engaged our audience quite a bit. Our strongest campaigns of the week continue to be focused on the features and benefits of WordPress 6.1 release plus a news post about the 6.1.1 maintenance update. It was that continued discussion with our audience that provided us with the top three posts/campaigns of the week.
Some of the performance numbers for the last week.
- Impressions: 328,915
- Engagements: 6,429
- Link clicks: 1,748
- Follower Growth: 1,177
5b. Updates on forthcoming WordPress releases and FSE
Last week was the WordPress 6.1.1 Maintenance Release. @dansoschin added that other than the 6.1.1 update, there’s general work happening and planning for upcoming releases.
5c. Contributor events update
- WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. awareness: February 17, 2023 – GitHub ticket #108. Please add to the card if you intend to be at the contributor day and involved in the marketing table. If you would like to help organize the table, you can volunteer too.
- WordCamp Kolkata is coming up in December and has a contributor day. No further details on what is needed from marketing as yet.
- Does anyone know of any other WordPress Contributor Days that are having a marketing table?
5d. Newsletters and series
Polyglots Outreach Effort: The first post in the Polyglots outreach program has been published, which includes a call for volunteers to help reach out to a series of locale teams. Check if your locale was mentioned! If you want to help promoting this initiative, check GitHub card #139.
Month in WordPress October 2022 has been published! Read it to learn more about what has been happening in WordPress. @eidolonnight highlighted the State of the Word This is the annual report given by Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress at WordCamp US. It looks at what we’ve done, what we’re doing, and the future of WordPress. https://wordpress.tv/tag/state-of-the-word/. 2022 live event in this newsletter.
5e. WordPress.org Redesign
Design has most recently shared some mockups for developer.wordpress.org and the enterprise page. You can follow this and other redesign updates on Make Design using the #redesign tag.
6. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
The next Coffee break will be, Thursday, December 1, 2022, at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC.
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. Important dates are listed in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post too.
7. Open floor
@rmartinezduque shared that social posts were shared to celebrate the 5,000 photo mark in the WordPress Photo Directory. Link to the update in WPPhotos on Slack.
Help share the social posts on the following WordPress.org channels:
You can read a retrospective on reaching 5,000 photos.
@nalininonstopnewsuk suggested having 10 minutes at a future meeting dedicated to encouraging people with pictures they may take at any end-of-year holidays.
Useful information and links to discover more about WordPress Openverse (wordpress.org/openverse):
– to search for audio files to use or remix in their content, videos, podcasts, or other creative projects, all available for free use under Creative Commons licenses.
In fact, they can search not only for audio, but also for openly-licensed images.
In the latest episode of WP Briefing, @chanthaboune talks about Open erse and the Photo Directory.
Handbook page may also be useful to understand the differences between Openverse and the Photo Directory.
8. Next Meeting
Next week’s meeting will be on November 30, 2022, at 15:00 UTC (GitHub card #125).