Dev Chat Summary: April 25th (4.9.6 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from April 25th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.6 planning

  • Would appreciate testing help so people working in #gdpr-compliance can land as many of the GDPR tickets as possible in 4.9.6
  • Beta planned for Tuesday, May 1st
  • Expecting to freeze most strings for beta, Polyglots will also need lots of help translating strings coming in 4.9.6
  • #43862 will need some good old-fashioned hand testing when it lands

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

Bug scrub communication

  • @mindmantra and @desrosj noted that there’s no space on the Meetings page or otherwise to note scheduled Bug Scrubs besides the post that goes out on the topic
  • Would it help to communicate scheduled bug scrubs other than the make/core posts? If so, where/how?
  • Decision to add bug scrubs to the Meetings page for 4.9.6 and reasses after release if that worked well, if so we’ll make that standard for future releases and add to the core handbook

General announcements

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on May 2, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / May 2, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #4-9-6, #core, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: April 18th (4.9.6 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from April 18th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.6 planning

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The Editor / Gutenberg Team released v2.7 and published information on how they’re organizing component-specific issues in their GitHub repo. Component Maintainers will benefit from utilizing the specific milestone setup for their component when trying to identify areas that would best benefit Gutenberg. There are also additional milestones for a11y and docs.
  • The GDPR Compliance Team published notes from their recent meeting covering recent deployments, available resources, plugin dev guidelines, and the addition of a privacy section to the readme.txt file
  • The PHP Team published notes from their recent meeting
  • The Media Team published notes from their recent meeting covering a time change for their meeting (to Thursday’s at 20:00 UTC) and their main focus on a Gutenberg Media triage
  • @jorbin looking for a proposal on Make/Core post from team working on the JS reorg / no longer using srcwith a summary and proposed timeline; majority of current info is in #43055

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on April 25, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / April 25, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-6, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: April 11th (4.9.6 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from April 11th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 feedback

  • @audrasjb wrapping up feedback post, aiming to publish by end of week on experience leading 4.9.5
  • No other feedback, so no urgent need to rush out immediate fixes in 4.9.6

4.9.6 planning

  • @desrosj self-nominated to be co-lead, @melchoyce nominated @allendav to be co-lead, @sergey self-nominated to be a deputy (given desire to have a lead with commit access); all have accepted and will begin planning, many thanks to them!
  • @desrosj to focus on coordinating release, @allendav to focus on GDPR, @sergey to focus on review and commits were needed
  • Will want to line up someone to help with packaging ~48 hours ahead of beta, RC, and release
  • Tentative timeline: beta on Tuesday, April 24th, RC on Tuesday, May 1st, and Release on Tuesday, May 8th (will be confirmed in next week’s devchat)
  • Planning to begin communicating via Make/Core of what’s going into 4.9.6 and will encourage devs to utilize trunk
  • @desrosj and @jbpaul17 to work on bug scrub schedule

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on April 18, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / April 18, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #4-9-6, #code-of-conduct, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #gutenberg, #summary

What’s new in Gutenberg? (5th April)

This release introduces drag and drop capabilities for sorting blocks, various refinements to the block visual interface (including a label with block type identifier) and extensibility APIs, plus a lot of bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who contributed for all the ongoing efforts!

2.6 🐉 💧

Other changes

#core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg

Dev Chat Summary: March 7th (4.9.5 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from March 7th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @audrasjb and @danieltj to lead bug scrubs every Tuesday from 20:00 to 21:00 UTC
  • Planned release schedule:
    • Beta: 03/20
    • RC: 03/27
    • Expected release date: 04/03
  • Looking to move some 5.0 `good-first-bug` labelled tickets to 4.9.5 if they are already committed, self-contained, can be back-ported cleanly before milestoning, and don’t introduce any unintended backcompat issues

Definition of what’s included in minor releases && Gutenberg updates

  • @jbpaul17: Suggestion to expand what can go into minor releases and allow new files to be introduced as this could benefit projects being able to ship in a minor versus waiting for a major release/5.0 (e.g., serve happy, debug screen, on boarding improvements, GDPR compliance tools)
  • @jbpaul17: Question as to cons for doing so (e.g., breaking auto-updates) and whether they’re unsolvable technical problems or historical blockers that haven’t been researched recently and could potentially be resolved
  • Previous discussion on this topic related to inline docs
    • “Every extra file adds a significant amount of KB to the package, which adds up pretty quickly. This not only stretches the wordpress.org load balancers (when suddenly millions of sites are updating within an hour), but also each individual site, which must download the ZIP, which takes time (partial builds made things, on many shared servers, go from minutes to seconds) and introduces lots of possibilities of download failures, and thus sites needing to retry later (and wait longer) to get patched.”
  • Prior comment that although it’s a little inconvenient, it’s a handy line in the sand for backporting to prevent new files
  • @joemcgill: Important to get input from people familiar with and have access to the infrastructure and historical data about releases
  • Side conversation on altering version numbering scheme such that next major could be 4.10.0 and allow non-Gutenberg projects to land in a major release while Gutenberg can still have the 5.0 version number; alternative to switching to semantic versioning is pushing Gutenberg back to 5.1
  • @joemcgill: Important to clarify what we’re trying to solve: trying to release some new features that are blocked while we wait for Gutenberg/5.0. Suggestion: discuss the specific features and why they’re worth including in a minor and figure out the technical blockers to make that happen
  • @xkon: GDPR work is trying to avoid shipping with Gutenberg to ensure user-stress levels are low for these respective updates; in an ideal world GDPR should land before May 25th
  • @joemcgill: Helpful to understand the roadmap for 5.0 timelines to know if we should squeeze something in a minor release or do a vanity 4.9.10 major release
  • @matveb: Gutenberg plan is still tentatively April
  • @peterwilsoncc: Pushing new files into minors would require two releases:
    • 1 to update auto updates
    • 2 to update and include the new files for GDPR, serve happy, etc.
  • @sergey: precedent of adding new functions to existing files in a minor branch where they’re in separate files on trunk, same could apply for GDPR/etc.
  • @joemcgill: restating the problem… We have some features ready for release but are blocked by historical constraints on our minor release process, meanwhile we have no clear sense of when the next major is going to be ready because it’s tied to Gutenberg
    • Option 1: Change the constraints on a minor release and add the features. This needs input from infrastructure people
    • Option 2: Do a major release before Gutenberg is ready if we need to
    • Option 3: Wait for Gutenberg to be ready
  • Gutenberg team looking for more help in getting it ready for the path to merge proposal, getting a promo notice in a release to help increase testing
  • @azaozz: GDPR tools cannot wait very long. Will need to be out end of April, early May the latest
  • Gutenberg work divided into “feature complete”, “merge proposal” (things we definitely need), and “5.0
  • Gutenberg areas that need attention for 5.0 merge:
    • API tasks need owners.
    • All core issues should have corresponding tickets.
    • JS packages integration can be a topic for the core-js chats.
    • Gutenberg repo needs help with triage and fixing bugs.
    • Documentation and coding standard updates.
    • Accessibility needs to be improved
  • Various Gutenberg-related tasks could use help and don’t have to wait for merge proposal:
    • Various REST API tasks that can be done now in parallel
    • Core changes
    • New endpoints and infrastructure plans
    • How would inclusion of Gutenberg/JS packages work
  • Gutenberg team would like to see how integration with truck would work as early as possible, aiming for April for an initial merge/first beta (not actual 5.0 release)
  • Gutenberg team needs more component and lead developers focus and feedback

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: February 21st (4.9.5 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 21st (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @danieltj self-nominated to lead this minor release, but as a first time lead we’d like someone who already led one to be deputy. Please reach out to @jbpaul17 (@jeffpaulon Slack) or comment on this post with nominations.
  • @audrasjb able to assist with bug scrubs, testing, and triage
  • 4.9.5 timeline is still dependent on reducing the number of sites stuck on 4.9.3
  • Auto-update needs automated end to end tests, @jorbin to look into specifying what’s needed and @joostdevalk on getting implementation assistance
  • @schlessera to investigate why the update via WP-CLI didn’t fatal whereas the cron update did

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

General announcements

  • @iandunn ready to commit the following tickets, but would like a quick review from another committer first:
    • #41112 – Show WordCamps higher up in the News Dashboard widget – @sergey to review and mark for commit
    • #42282 – Provide means of executing PHPUnit continuously over watched files in local environments
    • #43101 – Test to ensure MediaElement SWFs aren’t accidentally added to build
  • @benoitchantre looking for review on four tickets:
    • #36455 – Call opcache_reset() after plug-in, theme or core update
    • #14877 – Ability to create exclusive custom taxonomies
    • #27111 – Turning off global comments should include existing content
    • #42645 – Support passing version number to add_editor_style() – @danieltj has a patch for this but it needs testing
  • @mte90 looking for review on four tickets:
    • #40810 – wp_mail fails to send email on WP auto update when wp-cron is called directly by php
    • #30991 – Post type object capability ‘delete_posts’ is referenced in the posts list table but does not exist unless ‘map_meta_cap’ is set to true for post type
    • #20037 – Introduce ‘noindex’ filter for robots meta tag
    • #14148 – wp_get_attachment_url() is not url encoding

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #core-editor, #core-media, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #gutenberg, #summary

What’s new in Gutenberg? (25th January)

This release iterates further on some design and writing flow details — lighter up/down movers, engaging the UI-less focus mode more often, etc. It also brings many extensibility API improvements, exposing internal editor state through selectors, enhancements to the meta-box handling, and implements the "Copy All" button as if it was a plugin as an example of how to leverage native hooks.

2.1 🦔

  • Iterate on the design of up/down arrows and how focus is managed. This seeks to further reduce the visual and cognitive weight of the up/down movers.
  • Show immediate visual feedback when dragging and dropping images into the editor. (Expands on the previous release work.)
  • Expose state through data module using selectors. This is an important piece of the extensibility puzzle.
  • New button outline and focus styles.
  • Show original block icon after converting to reusable block. Also hides the generic reusable block from inserters. This moves data logic out of the inserter.
  • Introduce a migration function for block versioning.
  • Add HTML handler to dropzone. Allows drag and dropping images from other web pages directly.
  • Trigger typing mode when ENTER or BACKSPACE are pressed. This improves the writing flow but engaging the UI-less mode more frequently.

Other changes:

What's next?

As we approach the final stages of features, we are looking at finalizing the nested blocks interface (with its own Columns component), some remaining important extensibility hooks for plugins, and adding drag-drop functionality for moving and inserting blocks. ⛰

#core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg

Dev Chat Summary: January 17th (4.9.3 week 1)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from January 17th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.2 release

  • 4.9.2 was released yesterday.
  • This is a security and maintenance release for all versions since WordPress 3.7. We strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.

4.9.3 planning

  • Updated timeline is 4.9.3-beta1 on Tuesday, January 23rd; RC on Monday, January 29th; and still aim for Tuesday, January 30th for release.
  • Currently no major bugs, so planning for a regular maintenance release.
  • Bug scrub times will be announced on Make/Core.
  • 4.9.3 beta will get a Make/Core post to help get people's attention on it.

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The Editor team recently released Gutenberg v2.0 and will begin regular Gutenberg bug scrubs at 17:00 UTC on Thursdays separately from their weekly meeting. Please ping @jbpaul17 (@jeffpaul on Slack) if you have interest in assisting with bug scrubs.
  • The REST API team wants to get dev opinions on a register_meta change proposal that will becoming to a Make/Core post soon.

General announcements

  • @jorbin: Reminder that breaking changes (even if they are only breaking code that was publicly released for a few months) should always have a Dev Note published on Make/Core.
    • 4.8 and 4.9 had shorter beta/RC windows. It would be interesting to analyze and see how that affected bugs reported during those windows and in the near term after release. It would also be interesting to see how that affected the number of reverts. That data might show longer beta/RC windows are necessary, but we should not rush a decision without numbers backing up the analysis.
    • Note that @jbpaul17 added a step to check for dev notes to the Releasing Minor Versions handbook page.

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on January 24, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / January 24, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-2, #4-9-3, #core, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

What’s new in Gutenberg? (12th January)

Hope everyone has had some good time! We are resuming the releases of Gutenberg for this new year. The first one — 2.0 — is rather big, with updates across the board. The highlights cover several pasting improvements, a more polished publish flow, block API tweaks and extensibility additions, various accessibility improvements, block library updates (like new querying by category in latest posts), etc.

2.0 🦕

Design and editing experience

Components

Accessibility

Mobile

  • Render toolbar always by the block on mobile.
  • Improve performance of responsive calculations using matchMedia.
  • Avoid shifts around toolbar and scrolling issues on mobile.
  • Improve how the fixed-to-block toolbar looks on mobile. Change how the fixed position toolbars behave, making them sticky.
  • Prevent Mobile Safari from zooming the entire page when you open the inserter.

Block API and Misc.

Bug Fixes

#core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg

Dev Chat Summary: December 20th (4.9.2 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from December 20th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.2 planning

  • @sergey to be release lead, @williampatton to be deputy release lead
  • @desrosj able to help with bug scrubs
  • Tentative release timing of 1/16 for beta, 1/23 for RC, and 1/30 for release

Confirm definition of "minor release"

  • Confirmed definition: Bugfixes and enhancements that do not add new deployed files and are at the discretion of the release lead with suggestions/input from component maintainers and committers.
  • @jbpaul17 added that definition to the handbook for future reference (see here, here, and here)

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • Team Editor (Gutenberg): They have no more meetings until January 3rd in #core-editor. The channel is of course open all the time, but meetings will resume then. They also have a request for assistance on video processing of the usability videos from WCUS. Please check the post if you’re available / have interest.
  • Teams Customize and REST API are both on hiatus through the holidays and have no updates this week.
  • Multisite published a post about their roadmap

Meeting hiatus over holidays

  • There will be a two week hiatus for devchat, final meeting for 2017 is today (December 20th). First meeting for 2018 will be January 10th.

General announcements

  • @presskopp looking for advice on getting patches reviewed. Advice given is to ping component maintainers, mention it during devchat's General announcements section, or mention it during a bug scrub.
  • @schlessera looking for advice on getting something on the devchat agenda for January 10th. Advice given is to ping @jbpaul17, mention it during devchat's General announcements section, or add it as a comment to the agenda post. Also noted that Make/Core posts can be a good idea for things that need some discussion and can happen at any time.
  • @schlessera to work on a Make/Core post around the topic of "Servehappy project – current status and how to proceed to have the effort blessed"

#4-9-2, #core, #core-multisite, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary