Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Nov. 27, 2019

Summary: We talked about what we’re each working on. We are taking a poll about moving or canceling our second meeting of December (as it would fall on Christmas). We started talking about if we should focus on women or diversity for this coming year, because of how it is to collect statistics on them. We started thinking about how to create interviews with workshop participants. We talked about doing year-end self-reviews as an experiment this year.

Continue reading

#wpdiversity

Handbook update: How to Improve The Diversity of your WordPress Events

After a year of work, help from many people, and undergoing many, many revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision., two new documents are ready in the handbook to help WordPress event organizers improve their event diversity with practical advice:

Please share with your fellow WordPress event organizers!

Documents such as these are a work in progress, so feel free to suggest edits and updates via support@wordcamp.org

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Nov. 13, 2019

Quick summary:

We talked about what group members accomplished recently and are planning on accomplishing this coming month. We had good discussions.

@aurooba asked for help with our Marketing messages to organizers.

@jillbinder talked about moving our Train The Trainers material forward quickly this week due to creating a version for a Drupal training this coming weekend.

Continue reading

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Oct. 23, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @mariaojob @rahuldsarker @bhargavmehta @aurooba

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1571850072235500

Today’s Agenda:

  1. Reports
  2. Our internal workshop this weekend
  3. Stats collection
  4. WCUS Contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.
  5. Upcoming end of daylight savings time affects the meeting time for some of us
  6. Open discussion

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles? With colour:

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@miriamgoldman
I’m green: Talked about our group at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Niagara (plugged it in my talk), am digitizing my role as team lead for Train the Trainers, and have outlined with Angela our “Train the Deputies” sessions we are running next month.

Green in that we have scheduled training sessions up to December.

@jillbinder: With @aurooba starting marketing very soon and with our promotions at WCUS, we are expecting our number of meetups wanting training to be increasing soon!

Exciting times. We’re in the transition between our two phases and things are about to get exciting.

@miriamgoldman: That’s fantastic. Once we see the demand go up, I’ll reach out to the individuals who want to become trainers themselves, and start onboarding them. And obviously fill in gaps myself where need be. (so it’s not just Angela and I trying to squeeze things in!)

@jillbinder: Since it’s happening soon, it would be a good idea to be onboarding them sooner… So that they’ll be ready or almost ready by the time they’re needed.

@miriamgoldman: Good call @jillbinder. I’m swamped this week, but will reach out early next week


@rahuldsarker and @bhargavmehta
Had discussion with our team for translation of documentation. They suggested everything can be translated. We can start off with the small test this week.

@jillbinder: That’s perfect as the new full material will be ready soon.


@cguntur
I sent a message to Jeremy and told him that I will wait for him to send me the Calendly details for the Speaker Mentor program.

I am working on the MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Care stuff and will be sending out a bunch of emails to meetups who have taken the training to start getting our stats updated.


@miriamgoldman for @angelasjin
I can semi report for Angela, in that she has two people signed up for a training (regular Train the Trainers) in November.

Our internal workshop this weekend

We are recording the workshop straight up, as if it were a real class. No stopping to explain facilitator notes. I’ll be recording those separately. (But you can always send me questions in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. after.)

It’ll be a piece of the “choose your own training” we’re creating. If they want to see how any part is done, they can watch that module.

A reminder: our sound was not good in our previous training.

Let’s have a great recording: Please at a minimum wear headphones and be at the best internet connection you can.
It’s preferable if you can also be using a headset or have a microphone.

We won’t be using the chat, as that won’t translate well for the recording. If you’re participating in any exercise, it’ll be on the video and audio. (I know in some countries you won’t be able to do to video, and that’s fine. It’s preferable if you can, but not at the expense of the recording quality.)

You’ll be taking the class as though you are someone actually taking it. Working through Impostor Syndrome, coming up with a talk topic, writing your pitch, title, outline, bio.

You can opt out of anything, and if you do want to opt out, it’ll be fine as it’ll be an example of how people can opt out in real life, too.

They opt out by saying “Pass” in the exercises.

Ideally I’d want almost everyone participating, please! I want to show how the exercises actually work.

As it’s a 4-5 hour workshop, we have it split into the 2 days, Saturday is half and Sunday is half.

I set it for 2.5 hours each day. I’m finding that online that amount of time is a good balance.

It should be in your google calendars, but just a reminder that it’s 10am-12:30pm Pacific time.

If anyone in our team hasn’t signed up for it yet, you still can!

It would be great to have as many of us as possible closely familiar with what we do by having done it.

One last thing I can think of right now: It would be great to have a timestamp of when the title slide of each of the 6 modules comes up on the screen, to make it easy to separate the modules into different videos later.
Who would be willing to mark down the times of the 6 module title slides?

@miriamgoldman: I’ll do it if no one else volunteers.

@jillbinder: That sounds good, Miriam. It’ll be great to have more people involved, and if no one does, I will call on you for it!

Stats collection

Last time I talked about getting our stats early this year (which cities/countries meetups have taken the training, where have run it, how have their WordCamp speaker stats changed) so that it is a possible contender to be included in Matt’s State of the WordState of the Word This is the annual report given by Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress at WordCamp US. It looks at what we’ve done, what we’re doing, and the future of WordPress. https://wordpress.tv/tag/state-of-the-word/..

@cguntur has started sending out the first question to those who have been trained or have indicated that they will run it on their own. Thanks, @cguntur! Hoping we can have as much data as possible by end of the week to submit in. (But if people respond after the end of the week, please still let me know those.)

WCUS Contributor day

As far as I know there are 2 major items our team will be working on on WCUS Contributor day. Let’s start on the first: Marketing items.

There won’t be many from our team specifically there that day, but we will have access to other eager volunteers who will love to help.

@aurooba: By the end of today I’ll have documents set up for the big things we want to get drafts done for by WCUS, I’ll share in slack and everyone who wants to pitch in can add suggestions, etc.

@jillbinder: I like that idea of getting our suggestions etc ahead of time.

@aurooba: Yes! And anyone who wants to pitch in virtually the day of can as well. Or any other time

@jillbinder: Oh yes, a few said they’d be available that day. That is so good.

@aurooba: I’ll be sure to give a heads up on our team slack, and there will undoubtedly be relevant conversation happening in the #marketing channel

@aurooba: The marketing plan is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wlv75QpVVkMqJrpw8M18nya4_iWGMOHUpzfPvM_U954
We are focusing on the first 2-3 items plus an email to add to the automation for organizers.

The other item is getting started on creating the self-guided training material for the Community Team out of our “Creating a Welcoming and Diverse Space” WCUS workshop.

I still need to check in if the other workshop facilitators of our group will be available. It’ll be even better if they are, but even if they aren’t, we’ll still certainly be able to start.

If we can’t do both for whatever reason, the Marketing items will take priority.

@aurooba: The recording will be helpful to work with afterwards as well

@jillbinder: Ohh! Awesome! How do you think we might use it?

@aurooba: Just in terms of creating the self paced version with the help of others besides the facilitators

@rahuldsarker: Once the translation is complete. Can we translate the full material as a video. How is that idea?

@jillbinder: That’s an interesting idea, @rahuldsarker! I like your innovative thinking. It’s really important for our work to have as many text translations of the workshop as possible.

I get the sense that it would be valuable for your community in particular to have the video version… So if you think it won’t interfere with communicating with the #polyglots to get more language translations done, then we can consider it.

Upcoming end of daylight savings time affects the meeting time for some of us

I get confused every year of which times change for who and when, but fyi, TIMES ARE CHANGING.

We go by UTC time for our meetings, so in most of North America for example our next meeting will be an hour earlier.

I trust everyone to be responsible for their own times. Check when is 5pm UTC where you are.

Open Discussion

Anything relating to our work & team you’d like to talk about in our last few min?

@miriamgoldman: Not really. Excited for the workshop this weekend.

@jillbinder: Just got a notice of a first meetup training planned for 2020. Woohoo!

Alright, thanks all! I adore you. Thank you for all you do, and for coming to me when things are hard or stuck as well. It’s important. See some of you at WCUS and speak with the rest of you soon.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1571853657310500

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Oct. 9, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @cguntur @amyjune @aurooba

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1570640492005100

Agenda:

  1. Reports
  2. Collecting data for WCUS
  3. Speaker roster doc ready & starting marketing
  4. WCUS contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.
  5. Open discussion!

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: On plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: Not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: Not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@miriamgoldman
I’m green on the following: Running a training next Wednesday, working with @angelasjin on a specialized Train the Deputies training in late November, and finishing up the trainer onboarding doc.

@jillbinder: To add to @miriamgoldman’s report:
She and I have started brainstorming and now implementing how to delegate items from her task list. One of these major items is communicating and following through with the meetups through all the stages of their process in Helpscout.
Thank you @cguntur for stepping into the role! Now titled: MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Care Specialist.

@cguntur
I am Red on Resources page for the speaker mentor program. I pinged Jeremy again this week, but haven’t heard back from him.

(We discussed next actions)

I just got started with the meeup care stuff. Will get more done in the next couple of weeks probably

@amyjune
I finished my plan to present at BADCamp. I am planning on working with some of the folks in the Drupal space to take the training to other regional camps (I’ll be in florida in Feb and Chicago in March)

@aurooba
Marketing
Apologies for my absence here for a while. Things got a little crazy in my personal life and it took a while to sort it out and reintroduce all my commitments in a way that wasn’t overwhelming.

We have the beginnings of a marketing plan created: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wlv75QpVVkMqJrpw8M18nya4_iWGMOHUpzfPvM_U954/edit

We have the go-ahead from the Marketing Team to start creating assets for each item in the plan. A few folks from the Marketing Team have volunteered to help out and if we can get some skeletons and drafts ready, they can be edited and more thoroughly refined during Contributor Day at WCUS at the Marketing Table.

I’ll be meeting with Andrea and Jill again soon to get final thoughts before we start creating things, so we should have a finalized plan with timelines by the end of next week, hopefully. At that time, I’ll have a targetted list that people can pick and choose from to help out with if they wish.

@jillbinder: @aurooba So glad you’re back, and that is amazing work on marketing!
Also I’m glad to hear we may have items for Contrib day. I started thinking a little bit and couldn’t come up with anything. I’m adding that to the agenda.

2. Collecting data for WCUS.

Each year we collect our stats together for a few weeks before WCUS just in case Matt can use them in his State of the WordState of the Word This is the annual report given by Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress at WordCamp US. It looks at what we’ve done, what we’re doing, and the future of WordPress. https://wordpress.tv/tag/state-of-the-word/. post.
Not to mention being able to tell the story of our success.

Quick stats as of today:
Our team was on hold until I think it was May, so it’s actually half a year of stats.
So considering that it’s half a year and we’ve been in improvement mode rather than growing mode, things are looking pretty good.

We’ve been in contact on Helpscout with 22 meetups so far this year.
We’ve trained 17 of them. That’s 77%! Higher rate than last year. Our improvements are working!

To our knowledge, 3 have run it. Probably more have…

Milan, Italy
Torino, Italy
Vancouver, Canada

Oakland, California, USA is about to run it

An immediate goal for us will be to record all that we know who have run it.

Specifically since December 1, 2018, the last State of the Word. Oh yeah,… I don’t think I counted those in the stats. I’ll update that today.

Request:
Do you know other Meetups in WordPress who have run it since December 1, 2018 ?
SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. me or @cguntur to add it to our Tracker.

If you already have access to our Tracker spreadsheet, you can go ahead and add it.

@cguntur The first thing for you in the Meetup Care role will be to follow up with those who have been trained and who haven’t run it yet, last year and this year, to see if they ran it this year. We can talk more about that later.

@cguntur: @jillbinder I was thinking the same thing as I read your messages

@jillbinder
Soon we will have a better process for knowing who ran it. People will get the speaker resource page, which includes the mentorship program, in exchange for their feedback form telling us how their workshop went.
(New feedback form creation is on my list.)

Or maybe just for telling us that they ran it…… I don’t want to miss out on knowing who ran it just because they didn’t want to do the questionnaire… Will think on this. (Open to thoughts, too.)

@aurooba: Maybe having a questionnaire that has the first question – did you run the workshop?, and then the option to either just submit or do a more detailed questionnaire.

3. Speaker roster doc ready & starting marketing

A thing I started working on last year, and thought I could finish quickly 2-3 months ago, and am grateful that it’s now been looked over by folks with different backgrounds than Andrea and I (and the one person in the community who gave feedback when I posted it to the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. last year),
and so has taken a whole bunch of my bandwidth in the last few months ! but is very worth it,
our “How To Build A Diverse Speaker Roster” doc is now ready for the Make WordPress Community Handbook.

Hooray!!

And luckily, being the internet, we can always keep refining it as needed.

It wound up being especially important to finish as much of the content for our WCUS workshop is coming from it. So my awesome WCUS workshop team and I have been working on the workshop material and that document concurrently.

I’m really proud of both of these things!

The doc is now in the hands of @courtneypk to put into 2 docs on the handbook.
She’s incorporating the new info from it into the “make inclusive spaces” existing doc,
and creating a new one for the Speaker Roster doc.

This is tied into our marketing as I was waiting for it to be finished before putting info about our workshop into the Meetup and WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. handbooks, so that that doc could be included at the same time.
It’s a big deal and I can’t wait to show it to you (again) !

I’ll also be asking you to tweet it out once it’s up.

Sidenote: Our WordCamp US workshop content on creating a welcoming and diverse space is an amazing pair with the speaker content. It’s no use inviting speakers if they’re not feeling welcome. And attendees are more likely to want to contribute in ways such as speaking if they’re feeling more welcome.
Andrea’s team is going to make our content available in the future for WP communities to self-study.

Also, we did a public practise of it on the weekend and it went really well. People had big aha’s during the workshop.

4. Let’s start thinking about how we can use the WCUS Contributor day.

I think only @aurooba and I will be there from our team
(@angelasjin will be there too but will be very busy being one of the main orgs of the event)
but we’ll have access to other keen folk who want to help out.

@aurooba had some marketing ideas for that time.

@aurooba: Yes! I’ll know more after the meeting with you and Andrea

@jillbinder: For now, just a request to all to start thinking about it.

By then I should have the new training complete, so it might even be something we can give to Polyglots for translating……. (cc @rahuldsarker and @bhargavmehta — I know you won’t be at WCUS but just good info to know about in Translation team)

I’ll also have the workshop recorded that I’m doing with you Oct 26 & 27, so maybe having someone cut those down into the modules.

@miriamgoldman: I may not be physically there at WCUS, but I will make myself available on Slack that day if anyone is interested in my subteam!

@jillbinder: On that note — it would be great if someone who is attending could grab timestamps of the start of each new module.
It’ll make more sense for me to ask about timestamp taking in our next meeting just before that weekend.

5. Five minutes left for Open Discussion

Anything on your mind relating to our team that you’d like to bring up?

@miriamgoldman: Happy to see how amazing things are going!

@cguntur: I won’t be there at WCUS, but am happy to help remotely if you need

@jillbinder: Thanks so much for attending today and for your engaged participation. It feels so good to have an active and forward-thinking team.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1570644057069300

Next Actions

  1. Do you know other Meetups in WordPress who have run it since December 1, 2018 ? Slack me or @cguntur to add it to our Tracker.
  2. Jill set meeting with Andrea and Aurooba
  3. Jill talk to Chandrika about collecting who has run the workshop
  4. In the next meeting, Jill ask someone to mark times of the start of modules of our end of October workshop for video editing later

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Sept. 25, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @cguntur @rahuldsarker @amyjune

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1569430835146600

Agenda:

  1. Chatting about what you’re working on for the team, how it’s going, any obstacles, with colours:
     – Green: on plan. No help needed.
     – Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
     – Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
  2. Talking about starting monthly check-ins with our mini-teams leads (@aurooba @bhargavmehta@cguntur @miriamgoldman@rahuldsarker) (as well as everyone who is doing items for our team)
  3. New ongoing role needed to be filled. Needs title. Someone who loves connections, people, communication, transformation, and data!
  4. Invitation to our practise WCUS workshop on Oct 6 on Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space for your online or in person community.
  5. Reminder headphones, mic, and good internet needed for our internal, recorded training Oct 26 & 27.
  6. Open discussion

1. Reports!

Chatting about what you’re working on for the team, how it’s going, any obstacles, with colours:
 – Green: on plan. No help needed.
 – Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
 – Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@rahuldsarker
I had a brief conversation with the team about translation.

@cguntur
I am still waiting for Jeremy to get back to me. He said he will be back by the end of September (end of this week I think). I am going to pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” him over the weekend or Monday to get his details for the speaker mentor program. @jillbinder I have to add his info to the resources page before I can send it over for your review after I have his info.

@miriamgoldman
Green: Finished video edit and Google Doc with more prompts
Green: Training later today, I have one individual
Green: Checklist written out analog for the train the trainers process, need to put it digitally
Green: Keeping an eye out on Helpscout every day or second day
Green: We’ll be discussing the communications role that will help myself and others later on in the meeting

@amyjune
Waiting for assets from @jillbinder for BADcamp training and will be reviewing with Tara before camp

2. Monthly Check-Ins

I love our team so much. I love the direct, tangible, huge impact we are already making and are continuing to make, in WordPress and beyond. 

The items that you’re each doing are an important contribution to our focus at present: improving our current processes and scaling up to reach more meetups. So that it’s easier for us, for them, and we can make an even bigger difference!

Also, one of the benefits of volunteering in the WordPress space is getting to try new skills, make mistakes, and grow. It’s a safe place for this.

Gosh knows how much I have grown in this space. It’s literally where a few of us tried out the workshop concept, from there I started public speaking more, doing more workshops, am growing my skills in leadership, and now am doing this work full-time.

There is so much opportunity.

With that in mind, I’d love to create an environment on our team where we say we’re going to do something and we stay in communication about how it’s going.

It’s an amazing way to grow and learn, and also with increased accountability fewer things will fall through the cracks. People can jump in, we can help each other figure out solutions to obstacles, we can jump in and help each other, etc.

So what I’d like to start doing is hearing from team leads what they think they and their teams can realistically accomplish over the next month (a whole skill in itself that I’m always practising!) and then how it went.

I’m liking the colour system a lot! I just want to give it a little more structure and accountability.

  1. At the start of a month, I’d like to hear from everyone their next month’s tasks.
    Choose things that forward your projects and our team’s mission, and put these in the month in TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing..
    Feel free to request help from me or our team. If you don’t, I will assume you’ve got it!
    Let me know when you’ve done so so I can review and make sure we’re all using our precious time to the best use.
    I’m a big believer in high impact tasks that have an impact on our goals, and I can help you with this!
  2. I’m going to start asking team leads if they can try to attend at least one of our team meetings a month. (The meeting that we’re in now.)
    I’d like myself and the team to hear from you your report on how your month’s Trello items are going and anything else that’s come up.
    If you can’t attend in a month, it’s ok! You can let me know how you’re doing in another way, like:
  • Comment on our P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/.
  • Direct SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. message with me
  • Request a Zoom meeting with me
  • Other?

    If you communicate it with the team, that gives everyone the chance to celebrate, help you with obstacles, and maybe even jump in to help. We’re all in this together!

    I’ll check in with each team lead to see if this is doable for you, and if it isn’t, we can talk about what we can do differently for your specific case. cc @aurooba @bhargavmehta @cguntur @miriamgoldman @rahuldsarker

    You can also let me know if you prefer more or less guidance/contact. I know different people have different preferences for management styles. (Monthly is my personal preference!)

This is part of my own leadership growth. Learning to balance working on my items and helping you do your best and learn and grow with your items, while we all continue our amazing forward trajectory with our team’s high successes.

3. A new, ongoing role!

It is great for someone who has a few hours a week for the role. Honestly it’ll be very minimal for the next few months until we’ve finished more processes and also scaled up to reach more meetups, and then it will be busier. It may even next year be so busy that you could be leading a mini team to cover it… So lots of opportunity for growth in this one!

It needs a title… more on that in a moment.

First, it’s great for someone who loves connections, people, communication, transformation, and data!

On our Train the Trainers team, we want someone who will care for the meetups who reach out to us, from beginning to end. From first contact to when (in the future) we have follow-up questionnaires.

It would be checking Helpscout a few times a week, communicating with the meetups who contact us, make sure no one falls through the cracks, make sure they feel well cared for. Make sure that we are tracking them properly in our spreadsheet.

You get to witness their community’s transformation!

My first idea for title was Communications Manager, but that means something else.

Connections something
Happiness something (haha)

@miriamgoldman and I are reaching out first to our team to see if anyone wants to jump at the chance, and if no one does, it’s no problem. We’ll do a call-out for it on the Make Community P2.

@miriamgoldman
I’ll be providing help to anyone who wants to take on this role – you’ll be helping me out as I’m growing my own team!

@jillbinder 
Also, if anyone loves this role and wishes they could do it instead of their current role, we can talk about that too!

@cguntur
Since I check HelpScout everyday, I can definitely do this. Currently, the other stuff I am working on does not need much of my time. I might need some help later though….

@jillbinder
@cguntur That would be amazing! Let’s set up a time for you, @miriamgoldman, and I to talk more.
Once it becomes too much, we can talk about you leading the team of people who do it, or some other strategy we come up with at the time based on your situation and wants. If you still want it after we chat. Let’s have the exploratory convo first. 

4. Invitation to my WCUS workshop team’s practise workshop on Oct 6.

Many of us were drawn to the #WPDiversity team because you wanted to help your own community. So I think many of you will be very interested in this workshop!

Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space for your online or in person community.

Speakers is just one piece of the puzzle. We are going to talk about that and 4 other elements:

Mindset
Community
Space
Allyship

It’ll be hands-on and interactive. You’ll walk away with items you can start implementing right away.

You’ll also be helping us out. We are looking for:

  • The chance to rehearse our workshop with folks who will actively participate with our interactive exercises.
  • Feedback on what worked,what could be improved, and what felt missing.
  • Suggestions for our diversity and inclusion content.

More info and sign up here:

@miriamgoldman
I’ll be travelling back from WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Rochester with Matt Graham and Shanta, so I’m not sure how good our connection will be, and where along the road we’ll be. (I have a 7PM train to connect to in Oshawa that night!) But, I think we said we’d try, but be audio only.

@jillbinder
Trying is great, @miriamgoldman! Can you sign up on the page with your maybe?
Best if you’ll be able to download our workbook ahead of time and at least one person in the car is able to read that…. but it’s still helpful to us even if you can’t do the exercises, just giving us people to practise with and maybe feedback on content.

@cguntur
I can also try… not sure if I can make it

5. Reminder of our team’s training of our workshop material Oct 26 & 27.

We are going to be recording it for our new Train the Trainers material. In the last recording, the participants were hard to hear. So please:

  • Wear headphones
  • Use a microphone or headset if you can
  • Be on good wifi

5. Open Discussion

Anything on your mind relating to our team that you’d like to bring up?

@miriamgoldman
Nope. Like I said, next weekend I’m at WordCamp Rochester, and while I won’t have time in my presentation, I’ll try and bring up our team at the afterparty/speaker dinner and stuff.
And same with WordCamp Niagara two weeks after that.

@jillbinder Sounds good — thanks for promoting us where you can, @miriamgoldman!
(I also have a suggestion for where to fit it in quickly in a presentation…. @cguntur and I have been talking about this for her presentation that has nothing to do with our team….. Let me know if you’d like to hear that.)

@jillbinder
We have another promotion article on WP Tavern. @pollyplummer interviewed me about the work our team does, the WCUS workshop coming up, and my thoughts on the European PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Conference cancelation….!

@jillbinder
Thank you for everything you’re doing and going to be doing, and thank you in advance for doing the tweaks to our team’s communication strategy! 

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1569434691214600

Call for participants: Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space (Online Workshop on Sun, Oct 6)

WordPress is all about community, and this year WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US is holding its first ever community track.

Allie Nimmons, Aurooba Ahmed, David Wolfpaw, and I, Jill Binder, have been invited to create a workshop for folks who run WordPress events in person or online on how to create a welcoming and diverse space.

In order to make the best workshop that we can on this sensitive and important topic, we are asking for help from you for 2 hours on Sunday, October 6, 12pm-2pm PT / 3pm-5pm ET / 7-9pm UTC. We are going to run our workshop in a live, interactive Zoom call.

What we are looking for:

  • The chance to rehearse our workshop with folks who will actively participate with our interactive exercises.
  • Feedback on what worked,what could be improved, and what felt missing.
  • Suggestions for our diversity and inclusion content.

Workshop description

Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space

Do you run a WordPress event, but notice only one type of person is attending? You’d love to have more diversity in your group, but folks are either not showing up – or they attend once and don’t come back. What can you do to foster, promote, and support diversity and an inclusive space? This is not just for organizers, but anyone who wants to champion this kind of environment, now or in the future!

In this workshop, we’ll cover 5 topics:

1. Shifting the way you think about diversity;
2. How to attract and foster a diverse community;
3. Creating a welcoming environment, both in person and online;
4. How to encourage more people from diverse backgrounds to step up to be speakers and leaders; and
5. How to be a better ally.

What you’ll get

You will walk away with an action list to start making changes right away.

We will be doing the exercises in a workbook PDF

There will be an opportunity to anonymously ask questions you’ve always wanted to know but have been afraid to ask.

Details

Sunday, Oct 6, 2019
12pm-2pm PT / 3pm-5pm ET / 7-9pm UTC
Zoom link will be provided

To participate

Comment on this post with your WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. handle or other way to contact you and we will send you the Zoom link and material before the workshop.

WCUS

A reminder that this workshop will be at WCUS in St. Louis on Nov. 1, 1-2:45pm. Please tell folks about it and we hope to see you there!

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Sept. 11, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @simo70 @cguntur @bhargavmehta

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568221257287400

Today’s Agenda:

1. Chatting about what you’re working on for the team, how it’s going, any obstacles.

2. Open discussion time!

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@angelasjin sent in:
Ran a Train the Trainers and scheduled my next one for November.

@miriamgoldman:

  • Green: Running a training next week, have one individual signed up.
  • Green: Connecting with prospective trainers, am working with Rahul to get him to shadow me in October.
  • Green: Finishing editing our current video and adding additional prompts/cards to make it easier for trainers.
  • Yellow: Cleaning up the trainers script a bit. Just haven’t gotten around to it.
  • I guess a green would be is to verify that all trainers are completing the checklist, and making sure all is done after a training.

@jillbinder:

  • @miriamgoldman Let’s touch base about when you think you’ll be able to do the video and script edits. I think that for my October training I’m going to do the old training way because I’ve got too many workshops I’m working on to also be working on the new training way at this time…!
  • @miriamgoldman Great! I will likely base my training date in October on when the Training material will be available.

@amyjune sent in: She’s working on the content for the BADCamp workshop, and may get our input on the language.

@jillbinder: @amyjune I was going to send you a script to work off of for BADCamp. I’ll touch base with you about that.

@jillbinder

  • Yellow: My workshop for WCUS and the related Building a Diverse Speaker Roster document are both having delays and extra work, but I feel good about getting them back on track.
  • Green: Managing the new mini team leads within our group — who are moving our work very forward — is going well.

@simo70

Next Saturday I’ll be at WordcampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Zurich and one of my slides will explain the project

@cguntur

I am currently working on the resources page for the speaker mentors. Status is yellow – waiting for Jeremy to get back to me with his calendly link and schedule

@bhargavmehta

Yellow: Translations of new documents along side @rahuldsarker. No success yet as I am not able to dedicate time on it.

Open Discussion

@miriamgoldman
Well, I’ve noticed that we haven’t gotten that many requests for training as of late. After cleaning up the dormants, we have only 3 submissions, with one person scheduled to take the training with me on the 25th.

On this topic we discussed:

  • @aurooba‘s marketing plan
  • At some point writing to all the ones who have done the workshop in previous years and who were dormant in the past, and see if we can get more interested. I don’t think folks realize they should put effort into it every year.
  • Bringing it up at WordCamps coming up. @miriamgoldman, @bhargavmehta, and @cguntur volunteered
  • It’s not a big concern as things are slower while we’re improving everything plus the marketing plan is coming

@bhargavmehta talked about feeling more confident in our material to be able to talk about it at his WordCamps. He mentioned that our team’s workshop at the end of October will help.

@jillbinder
On that point, one of the many reasons we want to re-record our Training is because the audio from participants in our current video is not good. So I’m going to ask everyone attending to be on good internet and if you can, be using a headset or microphone for speaking.

@jillbinder and @miriamgoldman talked about starting to delegate some of her items

@jillbinder
For translations, I’m planning on doing some changes to the workshop material, so I should confirm with @bhargavmehta and @rahuldsarker that what is changing is not the parts you are currently getting translated. And if you are, we can copy it before I go change it.

@jillbinder talked about finding a better way to stay in touch with our various team leaders. @miriamgoldman suggested using the bi-weekly meetings and arrange for leaders to check in with me individually once a month separately from the meeting.

@jillbinder
Great – thanks everyone for your active participation, letting me know where things are at, and for all that you do and are going to be doing. You are great folks and I’m honoured to be doing this important work with you.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568224093340000

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Aug 28, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @cguntur @miriamgoldman @rahuldsarker

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1567011603003800

Agenda

1. Reports of what you’re working on, with colours:
   – Green: on plan. No help needed.
   – Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
   – Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
2. Our two workshops, Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27, both at
10am PT / 1pm ET / 5pm UTC
for 2.5 hours.
3. Mention in the media recently
4. What I’m working on

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@cguntur (working on our Speaker Mentorship program)
I am currently working on contacting Jeremy and getting the resources page ready

I am on yellow. I contacted Jeremy about the speaker mentor and about his availability. I haven’t heard back from him.

Yellow on the resources page as well. I will probably have it ready by Monday.

@miriamgoldman (leading our Train the Trainers, running trainings, editing our video, and more)

Green: Held a training last week, went well, got more interactions. Also am editing our current video to streamline what we have.

Yellow: Following up with prospective trainers – I got hit by the busy train at work and just haven’t had the time to do this. Following Labour Day things will be better.

Green: Adding some new prompts to our Trainer script – will be sharing with Jill and Angela once ready.

@rahuldsarker (Translations team, running a small test of a translation in Bengali)
Communities with the local translation team for Bengali translation for the training materials.

@angelasjin (Train the Trainer)
I handled a few HS emails, and have a training scheduled for next week, but again, so takers so far!

Our two workshops, Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27

Just a reminder that I’m running the full workshop for our team so that everyone can understand what we’re doing plus I’m recording it to use for future Trainings.

Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27
10am PT / 1pm ET / 5pm UTC
for 2.5 hours.

Mention in the media recently

We got a mention from @pollyplummer regarding the PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Central Europe Conference Cancelation:
https://wptavern.com/php-central-europe-conference-canceled-due-to-lack-of-speaker-diversity
Thank you, Sarah!

What I’m working on

I have only been working 3 days since our last meeting, thanks to having a vacation. (I recommend those!)

In that time I’ve been focusing entirely on our Building A Diverse Speaker Roster document and working on the diversity WCUS Workshop. (Both of those items are related to each other.)

Thanks for being here and thanks for all you’re doing!

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1567013563038800

#wpdiversity

WordPress meetup organizer newsletter: August 2019

Hello WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. organizers!

Welcome to another meetup organizer newsletter full of news, information, and inspiration for your local meetup.

Newsletter contents:

  • Diverse Speaker Training Workshops
  • Organizer Best Practices: How to address panic
  • New event format from the Perth WordPress Meetup
  • Reminders

Diverse Speaker Training Workshops

As organizers, have you ever had challenges getting women and people from other underrepresented groups in tech to speak at your meetups and WordCamps?

Check out the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training workshop (#wpdiversity): https://make.wordpress.org/training/speaker-training

Check out their new Intro video (2 min) that explains what this workshop is all about!

This is now up on their page, along with:

  • A new description
  • Updated results
  • The new four step process for meetups to take to run the workshop

Check it out here: http://tiny.cc/wpdiversity

Upcoming training timings:
– Sept 4 at 11am-1pm UTC

Sign up at http://tiny.cc/wpdiversity

Organizer Best Practices: How to address panic

As an organizer of community events, you might run into situations when you need to address panic. This post on the WordPress Community blog, looks at important ways to recognize stressed behaviours and 4 steps to address panic.

There are also listed ways to get in touch with the WordPress Global Community Team, who are very likely to have through their combined experience, would be able to help you in the best ways possible.

This is part of the on-going Organizer Best Practices series of discussions on the WordPress Community team blog.

New event format from Perth WordPress Meetup

The Perth (Western Australia) meetup decided to change up the format of their regular meetup, and they have had some great feedback about it.

Based on the feedback they received, they found members who were developers found some talks not technical enough, and for members who were users they were sometimes too technical.

So for every topic they organizer a meetup around they added a second talk. Their format now is

– Technical Talk
– Networking
– User Talk
– Q & A with ‘the panel’

This is also a great example of using feedback from attendees to iterate on meetup formats.

Reminders

That’s it for now — chat with you next time!

Your friends on the Community Team

make.wordpress.org/community

#newsletter #meetup