In April to June 2023, the #WPDiversity group held 3 “Organizing Diverse and Inclusive WordPress events” events.
Organizing Diverse & Inclusive WordPress Events
An interactive watch party workshop to help Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. and WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizers, as well as anyone in WordPress who would like to champion this work, create diverse and inclusive events. We hold a “Follow-up Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. chat” a month later.
April 20, 2023: Follow-Up Slack chat
- Number who attended online: 14
- From number of cities: 14
- From number of countries: 6 (India, Luxembourg, Mexico, Philippines, Uganda, United States)
May 13, 2023: Organizing Diverse & Inclusive WordPress Events APAC
- Number who attended online: 8
- From number of cities: 8
- From number of countries: 5 (Indonesia, Nepal, Nigeria, Philippines, United States)
- Self-reported increase in preparedness to run an inclusive event: 50%
“Everything about the workshop was mind-blowing. People should take this workshop because it will open their minds to what’s possible in organising successful WordPress Meetup events.” – Emmanuel Ekanem, Web Developer, Calabar, Nigeria
June 17, 2023: Follow-Up Slack chat
- Number who attended online: 7
- From number of cities: 6
- From number of countries: 6 (Australia, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Philippines, United States)
Diverse Speaker Support Channel
We have a Slack channel (#diverse-speaker-support) in the Make WordPress Slack for:
- getting to know other speakers and event organizers
- workshopping talks with each other and with mentors Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.
- finding out about WordPress speaking opportunities from WordPress Meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. and WordCamps
- getting connected with support for speaker travel expenses
Wins these months:
A win counts as:
- Applying to speak at an event
- Speaking at an event
- Getting speaker mentorship in the channel
There have been so many of these (but most of them not reported in the channel itself) that it’s been hard to keep on tracking. We created a form for this that has not been well used.
A lot of people contribute to making these workshops successful. Thank you to each and every one!
The list of upcoming #WPDiversity events is posted on the Diverse Speaker Group (#WPDiversity) page in the Community handbook. Please check there for upcoming events.