Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on November 29, 2017

Recap written by @sheilagomes

This is the recap of the the first Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting, which took place in the Slack #community-team channel on Nov 29.
The link for the whole meeting is here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1511974875000240

These people were present:

  • Jill from Vancouver, Canada
  • Chandrika from Cupertino, CA, USA
  • Simona from Milan, Italy
  • Kathy from Atlanta, USA
  • Diya from Bangladesh
  • Hardeep from Kanpur, India
  • Sheila from Brazil
  • Mahesh from Ahmedabad, India
  • Meher, From Mumbai India

@jillbinder said she would explain the project and the general proposed planning, then open for:

  • First questions people had
  • Talking about when the first online training would be (1.5 hours for the first one, then half an hour for a follow up a couple of weeks later)
  • Thinking together how to promote this to get at least 27 communities running it this year

Up to this point there are thirteen people who said they could make this time work for the Slack meetings. A few of them wouldn’t start until after WCUS.

Quite a few men volunteered for this project. The men can help promote and support the women running it. Ideally workshops for women should be run by women. If it’s just not possible to have a women run it for some reason, then the men can run it too.

This workshop doesn’t have to be for women, it can be for any underrepresented group.

Jill explained what the workshop is: it started as a 3 or 4 hour session in Vancouver which later evolved into 5 modules with help from other cities.
The modules can be run all together or separately.

  • The first module covers things like: why we want more women (or other underrepresented groups), the myths of what it is to be the expert at the front of the room, the types of talks, an exercise where people generate about 50 different talk ideas, choosing a talk.
  • The second module gets into writing a pitch, choosing a title, writing a bio.
  • In the third module they use that pitch to generate an outline for a talk (but it can also be run alone).
  • The fourth module is about creating great slides, and one on tips to becoming a better speaker.
  • The fifth module hasn’t been created yet. It’s on Impostor Syndrome.

The goal of this working group is to get lots of WordPress communities around the world running this.
If we aim for 5% of all meetups in the first year, that is about 27 cities.
That would be the first year’s goal. So far as it’s only been run in person, but we are going to start running it online too when running it in person isn’t possible.

Jill will start by running a session online for this team, where people will go through the material as a regular participant would, and she’ll show things they want to know when running it themselves.

There will be a first 1.5-hour online training for the same time of day as this first meeting.
That will be on a webcam Zoom call, on Wednesday, December 20th.
For the people who can’t make this time work, if the first one goes well a second training can be held for them at another time.

In the last part of the meeting the discussion turned to how the participants can promote this initiative to get 27 or more communities running it.

  • AfshanaDiya suggested reaching out to the meetup organisers from different places.
  • Sheila said she could talk about it in the slack Brazilian group, and in the next local meet up. She also suggested writing articles.
  • Simona said their next WordCamp in Italy would be on the 15th of December, and she would talk to people there. She would like to run the workshop in April during WordCamp Turin.
  • Sheila asked about using WordPress.tv and Jill said she has a talk about this that she did at WordCamp Seattle about this that will be going up on WordPress.tv sometime soon.

The meeting finished with:

  • The proposal to think of more ideas
  • Jill would send out a poll to figure out the time for the December training
  • Jill said that in the next Slack meeting in 2 weeks we would come up with an official promotion plan with action items assigned to people.

Meeting Time: Diversity Outreach Speaker Training

As not everyone who volunteered is on Slack (yet), I wanted to post the voting results for the meetings for the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training.

The meeting will be at 5:00pm UTC (12pm Eastern) on every other Wednesday in #community-team on Slack. The first one will be tomorrow, Wednesday, Nov. 29th.

We will be creating a plan for promoting the training and organize an online train-the-trainers version of the workshop.

It is not too late to volunteer. If you are interested, please comment on the call for volunteers post.

If you’re interested in the effort but would rather focus on organizing a workshop in your local community or join in on an online, train-the-trainers version of the workshop, that’s great too! Comment that on the call for volunteers post and we’ll reach out to let you know when it’s scheduled.

P.S. Those who volunteered and who weren’t on Slack yet, please PM me on Slack @jillbinder once you have your slack handle. Thanks!

Call for Volunteers: Diversity Outreach Speaker Training

Community Team Chat | 5 October 2017

Howdy, Team!

Our bi-monthly Community Team chat is happening this Thursday, 5 October. Meeting times are 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team on Slack – we use the same agenda for both meetings in order to include all time zones.

Heads up! A few of the people who sometimes lead discussion in these chats will be away tomorrow (including me and Hugh). So I’m making an open invitation for any deputy who plans to attend, to leave a comment on this post (or just speak up in the chat) if they’re willing to lead the discussion. 🙂

Agenda

  1. Deputy check-in (progress and blockers to progress)
  2. Decision making process discussion summary and proposal
    This post is still open for discussion; if you have not already commented, please do so! 🙂 Another big thanks to @francina for putting his proposal together.
  3. Additional P2 post discussions:

If you have anything else to add to the agenda, please add it by commenting on this post! 🙂

Community Team Chat Agenda | 21 September 2017

Howdy, Team!

Our bi-monthly Community Team chat is happening this Thursday, 21 September. Meeting times are 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team on Slack – we use the same agenda for both meetings in order to include all time zones.

Heads up! Many of the people who usually lead discussion in these chats will be away tomorrow (including me, Hugh, and Rocio). So I’m making an open invitation for any deputy who plans to attend, to leave a comment on this post (or just speak up in the chat) if they’re willing to lead the discussion. 🙂

Agenda

  1. Deputy check-in (progress and blockers to progress)
  2. Decision making process discussion summary and proposal
    This post is still open for discussion; if you have not already commented, please do so! 🙂 Another big thanks to @francina for putting his proposal together.
  3. P2 posts:

If you have anything else to add to the agenda, please add it by commenting on this post! 🙂

Community Team Chat Agenda | 03 August 2017

Hello community team!

Our bi-monthly Community Team chat is happening this Thursday, August 3rd. Meeting times are 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team on Slack – we use the same agenda for both meetings in order to include all time zones.

Agenda

Please post in the comments if you have some agenda items to add so we can update this post as we go.

1. Deputy check-in – What have you been working on? Any blockers? Anything that you need help with?
2. Decision Making Process – we posted about it on the P2 and we would love to gather more feedback, discuss this during the call.
3. Highlighting a few P2 posts – No real discussion needed, but these are posts worth highlighting for all deputies (add the posts in the comments and I’ll add them here 😉)

Recaps will be in the comments

  • 08:00 UTC
  • 20:00 UTC Notes

#meetings #agenda #meeting-notes

Community Team Decision Making Process

In the past the members of the Community Team had some informal discussions about the decision making process: the conversation is very broad and we haven’t tackled it in a structured way up until now.

Since April, the Community team switched from having a single monthly chat that didn’t always had an agenda, to a bi-monthly chat, held at 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC to take into account different timezone, with an agenda that covers topics that might come up in our channels and highlights the latest from our blog. Attendance is good, people are engaged in the discussions and in general it seems that so far this has been a welcome change in our workflow.

It also helped us approaching broader subjects, about the Community team itself and its organisation.

One question that resurfaces every now and then is: how do we come to decisions? How do we wrap up all the discussions that float around us and come to conclusions? From comments in our Slack channels or P2 posts to issues that might be brought up to our support email, there is a lot going on in the Community team!

This is a broad conversation that touches on different subjects. The following are only a few:

  1. Media: the different media we use to communicate have different purposes, the Slack channels are for bouncing off ideas and replying to direct questions, but when we need to agree upon something we direct the person that has raised the issue to post in our P2 to gather feedback. Sometimes delicate issues are not brought in public but are dealt via email between the interested parties and then made public when a decision is made.
  2. Who: some issues are easily solved, everyone says what they think, either via a poll or comments, there are no major roadblocks (usually financial or technical), the majority of the feedback is positive so we move on. This is what happened when we decided to change the chat model. Some issues though require a more structured approach, especially if the outcome has a great impact on the whole WordPress community, not only the Community Team. Who is involved in this kind of decisions?
  3. How: after we identify the who, how those final deciders actually make the decisions they make? What processes and tools and tools can we use?
  4. Tracking: we use our P2 to gather feedback, how do we track open issues? Let’s say we come up with a workflow from now on, how do we deal with the threads that were opened in the past and never reached a conclusion?

The above items are just a few and they are mostly related to a practical workflow that defines roles, capabilities, procedures to gather feedback and come to decisions. But what about the emotional side of things? Who is taking the heat for unpopular decisions? How are they seen in the Community?

So, lots of food for thought!

Let’s set ourselves a goal of spending about two weeks on this discussion, closing it on August 3, in time for our next chat. After that I’ll gather all the comments and we’ll go from there to determine our next steps.

Thank you!

#community-team

Community Team Chat Agenda | 20 July 2017

Hello community team!

Our bi-monthly Community Team chat is happening this Thursday, July 20th. Meeting times are 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team on Slack – we use the same agenda for both meetings in order to include all time zones.

Agenda

Please post in the comments if you have some agenda items to add so we can update this post as we go.

1. Deputy check-in – What have you been working on? Any blockers? Anything that you need help with?
2. Decision Making Process
3. Highlighting a few P2 posts – No real discussion needed, but these are posts worth highlighting for all deputies:

Recaps in the comments

#meetings #agenda #meeting-notes

This week’s Community Team chat?

We’re scheduled to host Community Team chats tomorrow at 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team channel on slack. With so many of us busy with WordCamp Europe and the 2017 Community Summit we seem to have missed the usual window for posting an agenda for the meeting. Since part of the goal is to maintain parity between the two meeting times we should determine what we’d like to do in regards to tomorrow’s two chats.

We need to decide to cancel this week’s chats under the circumstances or proceed without a clear agenda.

** Edited to add a third option — Move the meetings ahead by one week to June 22 at the regular times.

Please let us know your preference in comments below.

This should be decided prior to the 08:00 UTC meeting time.

#team-chat #community-team

June 12-18 — Limited Availability

With so many volunteers, deputies, and full time staff traveling for and attending WordPress Community Summit and WordCamp Europe there will be limited availability on slack, and email this week. We’ll do our best to keep up but please expect delays.

Vendor payments and reimbursements will continues as scheduled.

#community-team

Community Team Chat Schedule

In our Community Team Chats this month, we discussed the possibility of changing our monthly team chat to bi-weekly (every other week) or weekly. We’d like to hear what you think! Please take a moment to respond to the poll below.

 

Please respond by Friday, 14 April. If we all agree on a change, we’ll post an update on the change next week.

#community-team, #meeting, #meetings, #team-chat, #team-meeting