This post serves to jump-start discussion before our weekly check in, which takes place in #core-images on Slack. Our next meeting is Friday, September 23 at 17:00 UTC and the agenda for these meetings include moving priority tasks forward, providing feedback on issues of interest, and reviewing media focused tickets on Trac.
Summary from last week
- Unexpected change to media title behavior in WP 4.6.1 (#37989) – This is a regression, which has been partially fixed.
- Sanitize accents in attachment filenames (#22363) – @mike and @markoheijnen were planning to work on #22363 in person this past week and will decide on next steps.
- Better PDF thumbnails (#31050) – @markoheijnen tested out plugins that claim to handle this and found that all suffer from the same “corrupted image” issues that have blocked this ticket. The strategy is to see if we can detect which PDFs will fail and fall back to a default PDF icon when that is the case.
- Media organization improvements:
- Make media library searchable by filename (#22744) – This was fixed in .
- We had a lengthy discussion about the potential for adding a default taxonomy to attachments, including identifying some related tickets that would need to be addressed (e.g., #22938)
- @paaljoachim shared the results of some research into how non-WP image applications handle media organization in the form of this Google doc.
Agenda for our next meeting
This week, we will continue discussion on our priority projects for the 4.7 release. If you have specific tickets that you want to have discussed, feel free to leave a comment on this post or reach out on Slack in the #core-images channel.
- #22363 – Accents in attachment filenames should be sanitized (@mike/@markoheijnen)
- #32417 – Core Media Widget (@sheri)
- #23594 (related: #22938) – Add default taxonomy support to the media library (@joemcgill)
- #37840 – Improved full size image optimizations (@mike)
- #31050 – Better PDF Upload Management (@markoheijnen)
- #34635 – WordPress image’s title is not alt (@joemcgill)
- WP-API – Private attachments assigned to public posts – GH1987