Dev Chat Summary: October 10 (5.0 Week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from October 10th (agenda, Slack archive).

5.0 planning

  • See @pento’s WordPress 5.0 for Contributors and Committers post:
    • “If you’re an experienced contributor or committer who has time available during the WordPress 5.0 release cycle, and want to be able to make meaningful contributions towards making WordPress 5.0 awesome” … “Please reply to this post with information about your availability, what components of WordPress you have experience in, and (if you haven’t got involved with Gutenberg yet) what you feel has been getting in the way.”
    • In that post are some direct actions you can take to help contribute to 5.0, otherwise please review and comment if you’ll be around during the 5.0 release cycle… thanks!
  • Also see review @pento‘s 5.0 commit/branch details if you plan to contribute during the 5.0 release cycle
  • @pento: if you have time to help, please review tickets in the 5.0 milestone to determine whether to keep it in 5.0 (Gutenberg-related), or move to 5.0.1 (other bug fix) or 5.1 (other feature)
  • @kadamwhiterequest for help testing Lazily Evaluate Translation Strings (#41305) with input requested by the end of this working week to help remove the blocker to further Gutenberg localization work
  • Plans for an updated readme.html to be committed with contributions open until RC
  • @chanthaboune: collecting blocker items and dates across team reps, will post listing to Make/Core, if you have items to add to the listing please ping @chanthaboune directly
    • @matt: 5.0 baseline and goal is 4.9.8 + Gutenberg, thus a lot of things that may have been considered blockers in past major releases are probably going to be reclassified as “nice to have”
  • @matveb: last JS package included in the Gutenberg 4.0 RC, on track and could be ready for end of the week

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

General announcements

  • See @matt‘s post for details on the Gutenberg Phase 2 Leads, @alexislloyd (design and product) and @youknowriad (technical)
    • Phase 2 is about thinking outside the box, namely the post and page box, to allow Gutenberg to handle entire-site layouts. We will replace widgets with blocks, so any block will be able to be used in any registered “sidebar” for legacy themes, and we will upgrade “menus” to a navigation block.
    • Phases 3 and 4 of Gutenberg at WordCamp US in December.
  • @audrasjb: a11y team reorganizing, will discuss during next week’s meeting
  • @chanthaboune: as teams identify new/updated team reps, please follow notes on team rep orientation

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on October 17, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#5-0, #a11y, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary, #team-reps

Media Meeting Recap – October 4

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 18:00 UTC The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused issues.

Attendees:
@joemcgill @danielbachhuber @mikeschroder @sergeybiryukov @pfiled @antpb

Transcript: Read on Slack

WordPress 5.0

This meeting focused entirely on the WordPress 5.0 milestone Gutenberg Issues. We reviewed each of the 18 remaining issues to determine:

  • is the issue a must have for 5.0?
  • what are next steps to getting the issue solved?

Things are looking good! This meeting resulted in remaining 5.0 issues being brought from 18 down to 11. We will focus work in the next week on Gallery backwards compatibility and Media Tabs which will help solve out more of the 5.0 milestone issues. Let’s get right into the issues discussed!

Featured Image dialogue missing “Mine”, “Uploaded to this post”, “Unattached” filters

It was agreed that this was a nice-to-have bugfix.


Consider feature parity for “Image Details” TinyMCE functionality

`attachment_fields_to_edit` filter is not respected in the image fields in the media modal in GB. Which means if you need to add in a required field to an image, it won’t show up in the Gutenblock sidebar. Since this ticket is focused around everything missing from Image Details, it would be great to get someone with agency/build experience to help. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 


Insert Link to image needs “open in new tab” option

There is already a fix ready to go. Just needs a refresh and we can merge. @antpb has tested the PR and all is working well. Currently getting Design final feedback and will get a second review on the code : https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/9520


Support for existing Media tabs

Crucial to 5.0. There are some challenges…

As @joemcgill stated in the meeting: “The old media button opened a modal using the `wp.media.view.MediaFrame.Post` frame, which provided workflows for any kind of media you wanted to embed from a single modal. In Gutenberg, we are opening specific frames using `wp.media.view.MediaFrame.Select` which are optimized to the type of block you’re inserting. So it wouldn’t make any sense to include an extra menu item for an image source within the video block, for example. The `Select` frame doesn’t include the same menu area by default anyway. IMO, this is all a good thing, but what we need to do is provide either

a) a way for third parties to register their content area based on media type, which we then display in the modals for the correct blocks.

b) assume that integrators will provide their own block interfaces that are specific to the media source.

The former would be my preference.”


Uploading messages for media shouldn’t stack

@joemcgill said “I agree with the approach on the ticket. Nice to have, not a blocker.”
We are removing the 5.0 milestone so we can stay focused on the major blockers. We can circle back to these as we finish the merge critical tasks.


Gallery Block doesn’t apply the ‘post_gallery’ filter, causing incompatibility with WP Gallery Custom Links

Gallery: figure out way to fallback to shortcode

Both of the above issues could be solved with ServerSideRender. We could have a theme support option that can fallback to ServerSideRender. This would ensure that we hit the post_gallery filter. We could communicate out to developers that the option is available and their way to get Gutenberg ready would be to set the option. We can keep gallery as is and depend on the theme support to set the type.

@danielbachhuber mentioned “Just to drop another idea: we could fall back to `ServerSideRender` _only_ if a `post_gallery` callback was detected.”

Daniel’s suggestion seems to be the best path forward. @antpb will be working on these in the coming week.


Media Library doesn’t update after dragging image onto Image block

This seems high priority for 5.0 as the drag and drop feature breaks after first use. I’d need to do some digging into drag/drop events to really understand how to fix this. Any thoughts around?

@joemcgill said “Yup. So, this is a result of the main drag/drop interface using totally different plumbing that the media modal.
The dropzone and file uploader use the REST API, whereas the media modal uses the old ajax-action.
When you upload a new file through the media library, the attachment gets added to the backbone collection that the library uses and the library persists. We need to either always fetch a fresh collection when opening the media modal or listen for other upload events and refresh the collection passively.”

Agreed all around that this is a need to be fixed.


Images → Gallery transform fails for ID-less images

This will be moved out of the 5.0 milestone as it is not a blocker.
@joemcgill mentioned “I don’t think that the gallery block supports external images at all, unless I’m wrong. So that would be an enhancement (IMO). In the mean time, I wonder if we can add some logic that only supports that transform _if_ all selected images include IDs. That would at least eliminate the bad UX” We can circle back to this issues after merge critical issues are cleared.


“upload_files” capability and Image relative blocks

This is a must have: Seems the bulk of the work is being done here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/9301. This PR is in need of a refresh. @antpb will finish this one out


Image Block: when using a small image enlarged pixelated version is flashed on page load/refresh

This issue was no longer valid. Closed.


Image block needs to handle variety of sources

This was recently given the low priority tag, so we should remove it from the 5.0 milestone as it is not a blocker. We can circle back later.


<img/> tags missing attribute filter

@joemcgill stated “Gutenberg uses a different markup structure entirely with a different filtering process. I think we would be better off writing upgrade notes that explains how to do this correctly going forward, but am open to solutions that allow back-compat of the previous filter if we can come up with an approach.” It was agreed that this was the best path forward. We are certainly open to discussion around the decision.


Insert from URL missing when adding an image

@joemcgill said “I didn’t realize that both cases were being addressed (this and the upload_files caps check) in the same PR.
Not sure about the approach there, but I do think we should try and support inserting from URL if we can.” We’ll need to see if this can be split in two tasks.


Images alt attribute in an editing context

This seems pretty important. It should be fairly simple to set a default alt if none is passed back from the media modal.

@joemcgill said “Yup. Let’s keep it as a must have. I’m happy to work on that one.”


Gallery: choosing thumbnail size

@joemcgill said “This is similar to the other image enhancements we were looking into. It’s quite important for responsive images that we’re selecting the best image size for the layout. If the gallery block is still inserting “full” size images, then this is really bad for page speed performance and should be addressed.
I’m less concerned about choosing explicit intermediate sizes (e.g., medium, large, etc) but we shouldn’t be using full unnecessarily.
Related: I think we need to go through https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/6177 and break it into distinct actionable issues and see what could be milestoned. That issue contains too many items, IMO.”


Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 18:00 UTC See you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

#core-media

Media Meeting Recap – April 5

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday,  April 5, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@joemcgill @blobfolio @audrasjb @desrosj @mikeschroder @karmatosed @antpb

Transcript: Read on Slack

Media Meeting Time Changes

To better accommodate all the usual attendees, the team has decided to move the meeting time to one hour later, at 2000 UTC. If this is a problem for anyone who would like to attend, please comment on the post or in #core-media!

Gutenberg

This meeting was primarily focused around Gutenberg Media Triage using this filter as the reference. 

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones
  • 5240  mediaelement component needed for audio and video blocks –  discussion took place around the desired experience for a v1 of the audio/video features. It was decided best to continue on the path to getting the audio block and mediaElement component finished out on this one. @joemcgill agreed to help test. 
  • 5209 Fix Image Alignment@joemcgill mentioned some backwards compatibility concerns and expressed them in this comment on the issue
  • 4914  Enhancement: Inspector interface for setting pixel dimensions of image – This sparked a conversation around a need for contributors to share any media flow discrepancies. In the case of the discussion our concerns were around things like the edit image modal looking different from core’s implementation.
  • 4612   Media Library doesn’t update after dragging image onto Image block@antpb and @joemcgill to do testing on this one to verify the media-upload button is working.
  • 4491  Gallery block: editing a gallery uses “Insert gallery” button –  @antpb to investigate. This is another example of workflows needing to be tested to identify these problems.
  • 3945 Right-align small images pinned to top-left of boxblock – This is likely a CSS issue. @antpb mentioned it may also be the block adopting the formatting bar’s width causing the weirdness. 

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 1900 UTC. See you there!

Media Meeting Recap – March 29

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday,  March 29, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@joemcgill @blobfolio @audrasjb @desrosj @mikeschroder @karmatosed @antpb

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones
  • @karmatosed expressed a need for media maintainers to ensure that what is being proposed for MVP/Feature complete is accurate. Issues related to this can be found using the media label or by following this link: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/labels/Media
  • Add mediaelement component@antpb has updated the repo to include some bug fixes. Testing is still needed to determine the issue with loading mediaElement on the front end. Steps to creating a clone of the repo can be found at this comment.
  • Add block playlist: Currently blocked by the inclusion of the mediaElement component.
  • @desrosj asked "Are there “groups” in GitHub? Thinking something similar to @ committers in Slack that would notify a group of people?" Investigation is needed into subscribing to labels in Github. If anyone has any ideas, please comment below. RSS was mentioned as a possibility but confirmation would be much appreciated.

4.9.5 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 4.9.5 milestone

  • #42919 – Unable to upload files with the AAC extension
    @desrosj mentioned "the ticket was specifically just for allowing a user to upload a file with .aac extension. The mime type was already allowed (when a different file extension was used), but when the file extension was explicitly .aac it would get blocked." The commit in the ticket adds support to display the .aac in an embed. @blobfolio and @desrosj did some upload testing and found that in Firefox, there were issues. @mikeschroder suggested that we should revert the extra functionality and explore embedding in a different ticket. @joemcgill concurred that he'd like to see further exploration of rendering in a cross-platform manner.

Open Floor

  • #43642 – Gallery titles and labels erasing
    @antpb mentioned this maybe being plugin territory. @desrosj mentioned a risk in the way that galleries save back to the attachment post. This may have some Gutenberg compatibility issues as well. We are going to mark this one with reporter feedback needed because there's a possibility that they want to create a gallery without any titles or they are wanting to replace the titles/labels. Seeing video/screenshots of their current workflow would be helpful.  

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 1800 UTC. See you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media Meeting Recap – March 23

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday,  March 23, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@joemcgill @blobfolio @desrosj @mikeschroder @karmatosed @antpb @adamsilverstein

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

4.9.5 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 4.9.5 milestone

Tickets needing testing:

  • #42017 – Parse the creation date out of uploaded audio files
    @desrosj has reclassified this ticket as enhancement.
  • #33979 – Add filter for 'postgalleryitem'
    @desrosj is looking into adding attributes to the tag in addition to just making a class filter. We will need to investigate if this helps Gutenberg in any way. 
  • #43046has_image_size() returns false for Core image sizes
    
    @desrosj is researching this one.
  • #9257 – EXIF GPS data
    Due to GDPR compliance, decided that this should live in plugin territory for now. Lots of great work going on in the ticket, and would be a solid plugin! 

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 1800 UTC. As both the EU and US have now moved to DST, you'll note the time has been shifted one hour earlier. Hope to see you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media Meeting Recap – March 8

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday,  March 8, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @antpb @desrosj @karmatosed @postphotos @joemcgill @sergey @chetan200891 @adamsilverstein 

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones
  • Add mediaelement component@antpb discussed that this is currently a blocker to building the Playlist Block. The component renders on the editor view and is enqueuing via client-assets.php but the script is not enqueuing on the front end. @antpb needs help figuring out the front end issue. Steps to creating a clone of the repo can be found at this comment.
  • Add block playlist: Currently blocked by the inclusion of the mediaelement component.

4.9.5 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 4.9.5 milestone

Tickets needing testing:

  • #42724 – Options media page hides breaks on desktop
    Patch still needs testing.
  • #42968 – Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid until after upload is complete
    Agreement all around that it is ready to commit.
  • #43226 – Crop setting in thumbnails never set when uploading PDF files
    Committed to trunk. It was agreed that this will be fixed in 4.9.5. @mikeschroder is working on backports.
  • #43255 – WP _Image_Editor::make_image leaves an output buffer open on failure
    This one has been open for a while but is in need of clean up. Mentioned by @mikeschroder we "want to be sure what we do doesn't break workarounds."

Tickets up for discussion:

#43123 Default captions should NOT use max-width
@joemcgill mentioned that he thinks it is worth reverting due to unintended consequences. @mikeschroder noted that "we’ll want to be sure to message folks and give a warning if we do revert."

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 1900 UTC Note: The time is maintained in UTC, so if you are in the US, this time may be different due to DST. We'll move the meeting time once EU has switched to DST in two weeks. Hope to see you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media Meeting Recap – March 1

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday,  March 1, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @antpb @desrosj @karmatosed @blobfolio @chetan200891 @jdub233

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones
  • Add mediaelement component – This issue was created by @antpb in an attempt to separate the mediaelement component required to make progress on the playlist block. Included in these changes is an update to the Audio block to utilize the component. Currently the component renders on the editor view and is enqueuing via client-assets.php but the script is not enqueuing on the front end. Needs investigation.
  • Add block playlist: Currently blocked by the inclusion of the mediaelement component.

4.9.5 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 4.9.5 milestone

Tickets needing testing:

  • #42724 – Options media page hides breaks on desktop
    • Patch still applies clean, testing needed.

Tickets up for discussion:

#43255 WP_Image_Editor::make_image leaves an output buffer open on failure

This has been committed for 5.0, but @mikeschroder mentioned some worry around changing output buffers for a minor release.

The following ticket needs a combination of code review and approval:

#43226 – Crop setting in thumbnails never set when uploading PDF

@mikeschroder is going to test #43226

5.0 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 5.0 milestone

#9257: EXIF GPS data

#9257 is a ticket to process EXIF GPS and store it in meta, but not exposing that data unless a plugin or theme uses it for something. In WordPress' current state, the original file is not stripped of any geolocation data and anyone could potentially find that information. This sparked the question of whether the user should be informed that location data is present in an uploaded image file. #43454 was created in response to this.

#43454 – Add UI elements to make the user aware of image geo data

Some concern was expressed about the potential for a user to unknowingly exposing location data in #9257 activating a plugin or theme that utilizes it. Some ideas that were passed around to better inform the user about images containing GPS data:

  • Showing a warning when an image is uploaded that contains GPS data.
  • Showing a general notice
  • Showing a globe icon in the corner of the image thumbnail in the media library.
  • Showing the coordinates in the attachment info pane when editing an attachment (maybe with information about the data).
  • A general warning at the top of the upload screen.

Further discussion and initial patches can be found in the ticket.

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 1900 UTC. Hope to see you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media Meeting Recap – February 15, 2018

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @antpb @blobfolio @flixos90 @jdub233 @sergey @desrosj @azaozz

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones have been re-arranged to make it easier to see what is going on.
  • Add block playlist: A discussion took place around how mediaElement should be added to Gutenberg. The two options discussed were to include it in the npm package list or make a global instance of Core's mediaElement Library. Consensus was to go with Core's implementation. @antpb is blocked on the playlist block with lack of mediaElement component. He is working on building a mediaElement REACT component that will need to be utilized in the audio and video blocks. Before this is complete enough to merge, he'll need some help understanding how to make the Core library globally accessible in Gutenberg.

5.0 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the next major milestone (5.0).

#33979 – Add filter for 'post_gallery_item'
#38228 – Add filter to default gallery shortcode output

Discussion around how granular gallery filters should be. With #3379 we gain a filter to add  styles individually per item in the Gallery. It was discussed that we will need tickets to add more granular filters going forward for captions and other image attributes. From @desrosj : "Currently the shortcode builds the HTML string as it goes. I think if the attributes were built in an associative array, that could just be filtered, and then the element built at the end. That could allow additional attributes to be added, widths to be changed for specific images making it easier to do different grid layouts." This sparked the question above around how Gutenberg will handle backwards compatibility with filtered attributes.

The following tickets need a combination of code review and approval:

  • #33979 – Add filter for 'post_gallery_item'

Seems good to go as a first step towards more granular Gallery filters if it won’t make it more difficult for Gutenberg to provide backcompat.

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 1900 UTC. Hope to see you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media Meeting Recap – February 1, 2018

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@antpb @blobfolio @desrosj @karmatosed @mikeschroder @postphotos

Transcript: Read on Slack

Gutenberg

  • The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
  • Repository milestones have been re-arranged to make it easier to see what is going on.
  • Milestone #33 is coming up. There are two media issues, but the primary focus is: Add block playlist. A decision was reached to punt this issue to 2.3. @antpb needs some background on the mediaElementobject is used for the media player.

4.9.4 (now 4.9.5) Tickets

The next portion of the meeting was dedicated to going through blessed tickets in the next minor milestone. All three were deemed in a good place with good direction.

  • #42968 – Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid until after upload is complete
  • #43201 – PHP Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /wp-includes/media.php on line 1206
  • #42724 – Options Media page hides breaks on desktop

5.0 Tickets

The next part of the meeting was spent on blessed tickets in the next major milestone (5.0).

#42919 – Unable to upload files with the AAC extension

Discussion around whether AAC files could be embedded lead to the realization that AAC also needs to be added to `wp_get_audio_extensions()`. Firefox appears to have a few issues with AAC. Some testing needs to be done to see if this can be done in the same ticket, or if a new one is more appropriate. @desrosj will do some digging.

The following tickets need a combination of code review and approval:

  • #40921 – Inconsistent Handling of mp4 by Audio Widget
  • #42463: Poor Description of add_image_size Params
  • #42017: Parse the creation date out of uploaded audio files

5.0 Suggested Tickets

#9257 – EXIF GPS data

Has good direction, but needs some feedback to make any adjustments. #42479 was closed as a duplicate on the premise that there is no GPS information in audio/video besides any in the associated image. In his initial testing, @desrosj remembers there being some GPS information on video files, but more testing is needed before it can be re-opened. Files from popular devices would need to be provided as well.

#43046has_image_size() returns false for Core image sizes

Backwards compatibility issues need to be fully explored for this ticket. At minimum, the inline documentation should be updated to more accurately reflect what is happening in the function. At maximum, a new boolean parameter could be added indicating whether core image sizes should be included in the list checked against. An example of where this may be very useful is preventing issues when a plugin or theme removes a core image size (if this is possible – needs research).

Next Meeting

The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1900 UTC. Hope to see you there!

#core-media, #media, #summary

Media meeting recap – December 14, 2017

Overview

This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack channel, on Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 1800 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac.

Attendees:
@sergey @desrosj @blobfolio @adamsilverstein @mikeschroder

Transcript: Read on Slack

4.9.2 review

The following tickets assigned to the upcoming 4.9.2 milestone were reviewed:

  • #39859 – wp.media.view.Modal jumps when you open it
  • #42225 – Whitelist Flac Files

Both tickets are looking to be in good shape for commit. Because #42225 is an enhancement, whether it ships in 4.9.2 will be up to the lead.

Media Formats

The majority of this meeting focused on various media and file-type expansions for WordPress.

#42775 – Support uploading files in HEIF and HEVC formats

Browser and PHP support for these new formats does not yet exist. There was disagreement as to whether the file types should be added to upload_mimes, and discussion will continue in the ticket.

#42017 – Parse the creation date out of uploaded audio files

@desrosj noticed that aac is not part of the upload_mimes list, though many additional media types which make use of aac are.  Opened #42919 to address this.

#35725 – Add mime-type for Webp

@blobfolio uploaded a more comprehensive patch that adds full backend support for WebP images, including GD and ImageMagick integration.

<PICTURE> Support

There was discussion on how fallback support could be handled if WordPress supported media types with less browser support, like `HEVC` or `WebP`. The HTML5 <picture> element could be used for this task, however to avoid unintended compatibility issues with existing themes, @desrosj suggested this be hidden behind add_theme_support()

Other Tickets

@mikeschroder and @adamsilverstein to review #30155 (Fix crop image functionality within edit flow) and potentially retarget for 4.9.2.

Holiday Schedule

In anticipation of busy travel schedules, the next core-media meeting is set for Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1800 UTC. Please join us then for discussion!

Thanks much to @blobfolio for writing up the meeting notes!

#core-media, #media, #summary