Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 22 January 2020

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 22 January 2020, 14:00 WET held in Slack.

Gutenberg 7.3

@gziolo announced that the Gutenberg 7.3 release was planned to happen later in the day and said, this release includes among others:

  • Multiple performance improvements.
  • A new block collections API. The API is useful when a developer wants to group the blocks in its section in the inserter.
  • Further improvements to the Navigation block.
  • New experimental blocks for the full site editing.

More details about this release are available on the release post.

Weekly Priorities

For this week, we keep the same priorities as last week:

  • Block Content Areas (Full site editing)
  • Block UI updates
  • Block Patterns
  • Navigation block improvements

Task Coordination

@karmatosed

Has been mostly focusing on navigation block feedback/iterations and global styles – will continue to do this into next week.

@retrofox

Has been working on adding the background color feature to the navigation block, it is already merged.

Now is improving the sub-menus design, and polishing the feature.

It is possible to track the progress in the project dashboard.

@isabel_brison

Worked on resizable editor PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/19082.

All the tests are now updated, and it’s ready for further review. There’s a bit of discussion on how to isolate the editor-specific styles for manipulation in the core, any feedback appreciated at this point!

@youknowriad

Has been working on the icons package. Referred Icons are all over the place in Gutenberg right now, and thinks at least we should gather them in a single package. Said technology-wise, we still need to explore different options to how best ship them for authors, but a tree-shakeable npm package seems like the best initial path forward without BC concerns. @youknowriad will continue working on a solution to this problem.

@youknowriad is also working on an Extensibility API Proposal ( will share more very soon) and keeps doing heavy triage as time allows.

@andraganescu

Is working on an attempt to have responsive backgrounds in blocks which have image backgrounds, and doing various tidying up PRs for the navigation block.

@getdave, @marek, and @jeryj

Are working on the navigation block.

@jeryj is improving the UX.

@getdave and @marek are working on the ability to Create Pages from within the Block on the fly. Relevant issue and PR:

@nosolosw

@nosolosw is focusing back on the work on Gutenberg. Revived a lingering PR to fix a focus issue in the gallery block https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/14930. The PR needs a technical review!

@jorgefilipecosta 

Since last week:

For the next week:

  • Help to have a “Global Styles” mechanism in the core.
  • Continue the work on Angle Picker and Gradient type picker for the custom gradients.
  • Focus on triage issues. Reviewing PR’s required for 5.4 beta 1.

@mapk 

@aduth

  • Helping around improvements and consistency among various link components
  • Hoping to try to push user-meta-based preferences persistence (sticky preferences) over the finish line. @aduth referred it would be a nice feature for WP 5.4.
  • Would like to visit some project management automation at some point.

@chopinbach

Is getting up to speed on Gutenberg development.

f you are also starting and are finding any challenge, please share it so that we can improve the experience for everyone.

@gziolo 

Open floor

Template lock active at the post type level, and templateLock={ false } in InnerBlocks causes an invalid block warning

@chrisvanpatten brought up issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/11681 and asked if there are any options to move the issue forward as the issue is causing a frustrating experience. The ticket seems stalled without a clear path.

Currently, @chrisvanpatten  relies on dispatch('core/block-editor').setTemplateValidity(true); as workaround to the problem.

@youknowriad said the plan outlined in https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/11681#issuecomment-549641097 seems a sensible one. But the ticket is stalled because implementing that solution is a big-time investment.

@chopinbach volunteered to help address this problem, and @chrisvanpatten volunteered to team up. Thank you both!

FormTokenField: Make it possible to add children

@scruffian asked for feedback on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/19676.

@youknowriad said that while the change is minimal, it would be good to expand on the use-cases. @youknowriad referred that adding random children may not be the best path forward, and asked if there is another abstraction possible, or if the button is something that can be built-in.

@scruffian said @youknowriad ideas are valid, but his thought was that it would be more useful as it was proposed in the PR. @scruffian  is open to achieving the result differently.

Server-side context API

@chopinbach asked for the latest updates on server-side context API @epiqueras is working on.

@epiqueras said the API is similar to React context and that he needs a PR review.

@youknowriad and @mcsf referred that ideally, a block consumes from a “contextname”, not a “blockname” and different blocks can use the same context name to expose their context.

@epiqueras linked to a comment providing some reasons where the approach may have problems.

The conversation will continue on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/19685. If you have any insights on this issue, please provide them as it may be valuable.

#chats, #core-editor, #editor-chat, #meeting, #meeting-notes, #summary

Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 27 November 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 27 November 2019, 14:00 WET held in Slack.

Gutenberg 7.0

Gutenberg 7.0 was released. It brings the navigation block out of the experimental state. The release was possible thanks to the efforts of 51 contributors. More details about this release can be checked on the release post.

Weekly Priorities

November priorities post: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/10/29/whats-next-in-gutenberg-november/

The priorities should remain pretty stable I think: Block Content Areas, Nesting Selection Tool, Navigation block will continue to be improved based on feedback. Gradients are almost “finished” and we may start thinking about improvements to the block interface based on this great issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/18667.

@youknowriad

Task Coordination

@youknowriad

Worked on PR’s Edit/Navigation ToolFixed Toolbar on mobile, and Add a header menu to switch between edit and select tool. Hopes to continue a trend of 50% reviews and triage and 50% code.

@jorgefilipecosta

Gave support on the forums, triaged issues, rebased and updated some PR’s, submitted and merged several bug fixes, and worked on a PR that may increase the performance of the editor by caching styles https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/18763.

On the next week: 

  • Plans to review and help some media-related PR’s, namely the refactor to the gallery, to increase reusability with the native mobile APP. 
  • Wants to finish the remove editor module usages in block-editor by applying changes to the reusable blocks and rich-text. 
  • Update the release tool to move readme and changelog files to the Github repository.

@noisysocks

Finished the work on adding a welcome guide modal, which is now ready for review.

Intends to spend the rest of this week playing with wordpress/env, seeing if we can deprecate local-env, and writing docs for this all.

@retrofox

Helped to finish the first approach of the Navigation block. Emphasize this comment: Navigation block will continue to be improved based on feedback.

@karmatosed

Contributed to the following tasks:

Is looking at iterations for navigation, going through design feedback in Tightening Up board, and seeing what needs work or is blocked, and is working on docs for the triage team.

@mapk 

 Worked on some reviews and triage, namely the NUX modal PR for @noisysocks.

@paaljoachim

Looked closer at this issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17640#issuecomment-556866662. Might need to create a new issue to bring a better focus on what he brought up.

@gziolo

Attended WordCamp Łódź, helped people on forums, worked on some triage based on reports from people. This week will resume the work on Block Patterns API.

@bph

Working on End User Documentation and connected with @melchoyce on her project to replacing gifs with videos.

Open floor

@scruffian brought the topic of how we handle Full Site Editing blocks for non-admin users.

@youknowriad referred the precedent we have in media blocks to allow/disallow features based on user capabilities, and @noisysocks referred the API we have to query user permissions.

@scruffian shared some questions he had on his mind:

  • Is the API change I suggested in https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/120 sensible? 
  • I see a change in the block itself in the PR not the API and it seems reasonable.
  • How does the design of the block change when a non-admin see it – does it need a special treatment?
  • This is probably a per-block problem as you might have access to some features in the block but not everything (think alignment of a site title block)

For the API change question, @youknowriad answered, he sees a change in the block itself in the PR, not the API, and that the change seems reasonable. For the block design question, @youknowriad answered that this is probably a per-block problem as one might have access to some features in the block but not everything.

@mrMark asked the use case Navigation Block and if it is intended to replace the menu system eventually. @youknowriad said that replacing the menu system may be a possibility but not until we allow editing the full templates in Gutenberg.

As a follow-up question @mrMark asked:

As the Block Editor encroaches onto the realm of what themes would normally handle, ie presentation layer, what’s the plan for integration between the Block editor and themes?

And then @mrMark referred that the Next Generation of Themes and how they integrate with the Block Editor should start being conceptualized.

@youknowriad referred that this is a big topic and ongoing work that can be followed on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/labels/%5BFeature%5D%20Full%20Site%20Editing. @youknowriad is also happy to answer any specific questions, and this topic will be part of the next week’s meeting. So in case, this is something that interests you, please join us and share your insights!

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #meeting, #summary

Twenty Twenty Weekly Meeting Agenda

This is the agenda for the weekly Twenty Twenty meeting. We’ll try to keep it within 30 minutes this time. It will be held on 19:00 UTC in the #core-themes channel.

  • Housekeeping
  • Discussion topics
    • RC 1 Prep
  • Open Floor

If there is anything you would like to see added to the agenda, please leave a comment in the thread!

#agenda, #meeting, #twentytwenty

Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 9 October 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 9 October 2019, 14:00 WEST held in Slack.

Weekly Priorities

WordPress 5.3 is planned for next week, there are still some issues we need to fix before then:

Some of the priorities are being worked, but others are not taken yet. If you think you can help with some of these tasks, please leave a comment on the issue!

It is also essential to address some browser issues, namely on IE. People with a windows dev setup could be beneficial here.

We are getting close to the WordPress 5.3 release; testing is essential, namely on the mobile phone you use, given the wide variety of devices that exist.

Task coordination

Note: If you’re reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something!

@youknowriad

  • Working on the Media Upload errors handling.
  • Working on a fix to the navigation mode.
  • Lots of reviews and coordination.
  • Exploring some improvements to Block nesting selection with a new Block Breadcrumb.

@get_dave

  • Continues the work on DimensionControl https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16791, and ResponsiveBlockControls https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16790 PRs.
  • Started on the implementation of a potential new Link insert/edit interface as per https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17557

@gziolo

  • Helped @epiqueras to land the initial version of the Components Storybook.
  • Is focused on some optimizations related to eliminating dead code (mostly for experimental features) from WordPress 5.3 release.

@jorgefilipecosta

  • Worked on some changes to the custom gradient picker. Now, it is possible to move the control points using arrow keys, and the code was reorganized. It should be ready for a more in-depth review; a11y feedback would also be valuable.
  • Focused on some 5.3 must-haves.
  • Helped (reviewed tested, or suggested commits) in navigation block (related PR’s), DimensionControl, ResponsiveBlockControl, and other smaller PR’s.
  • Will continue the work on must-haves, apply a refactor that makes media&text work on IE, and fix some generic block editor issues.

@karmatosed

@brentswisher

  • Hoping to revisit displaying a notice of some kind in the inserter when there are disabled blocks (https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17338).
  • Help out with any 5.3 issues that he can.
  • Will try to help get through some of the new issues, label them, and get additional attention to them if he thinks they are WordPress 5.3 must-haves.

Open floor

@jeffreycarandang asked for an updated to PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17617 and to issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17809.

Regarding PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17617 @youknowriad and @jorgefilipecosta both had some comments on the problem the PR faces. The basic idea is that when a format is applied to a rich text, the focus goes back to the rich text (e.g., when we press a “bold button” it is expected I can continue typing) this behavior was always present. Some time ago, mainly because of accessibility reasons, a change was applied to popovers that automatically closes them when the focus is outside. The two previous behaviors together have some impact on formats that are applied in a popover (the popover may close in an unexpected situation). This is a high priority very complex problem, and a solution is being worked.

Regarding issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17809, @youknowriad pointed $wp_version variable as a possible solution and provided a way to make it available in JavaScript.

@welcher asked more detailed feedback on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16384 which adds a priority mechanism to the Slot&Fill pattern.

@mcsf and @youknowriad shared strong reservations.

It seems that priority and order are very visually focused, in stark contrast with how Gutenberg has tried to use SlotFill so far.

In Gutenberg, we talk about advanced settingsinspector, etc., instead of the visual element sidebar. Coming back to priority, what does it mean for SlotFill as far as selective rendering goes? how is a sequence determined semantically? etc.Why does this matter? Well, the bridging of different platforms and environments under Gutenberg is an important factor. If a codebase needs to work transparently across Web and Mobile, for example, its semantics needs to be clear and independent of a particular visual expression (e.g. Web on Desktop)

@mcsf

@mkaz had a docs related question:

How do y’ll feel about ES5 support in documentation? Most of the code and package docs are ESNext, but we show ES5 examples first in docs. I don’t have a proposal together yet, but I feel we should move people quicker to ESNext since it is what they most likely will experience everywhere.

People agreed that the default docs should be ESNext but ES5 examples should still be present.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #meeting, #summary

Twenty Twenty Weekly Meeting Agenda

This is the agenda for the weekly Twenty Twenty meeting. We’ll try to keep it within 30 minutes this time. It will be held on 19:00 UTC in the #core-themes channel.

  • Housekeeping
  • Discussion topics
    • Upcoming Bug Scrub dates/times
    • Beta 3 Prep
  • Open Floor

If there is anything you would like to see added to the agenda, please leave a comment in the thread!

#agenda, #meeting, #twentytwenty

Twenty Twenty Weekly Meeting Agenda

This is the agenda for the weekly Twenty Twenty meeting. We’ll try to keep it within 30 minutes this time. It will be held on 19:00 UTC in the #core-themes channel.

  • Housekeeping
  • Discussion topics
    • Upcoming Bug Scrub dates/times
    • Beta 2 Prep
  • Open Floor

If there is anything you would like to see added to the agenda, please leave a comment in the thread!

#agenda, #meeting, #twentytwenty

Javascript Chat Summary: August 6, 2019

Below is a of the discussion from this week’s JavaScript chat (agendaSlack Transcript)

Have a topic for discussion for the next meeting? Leave a suggested edit on next week’s agenda.

Publishing npm packages

@gziolo announced that we published to npm new versions of all WordPress packages.

@gziolo added that we didn’t publish to npm in the last two months, although we could do it given that Gutenberg release happens every other week.

@gziolo asked for thoughts on how we can improve the process overall, and maybe automate it.

People noticed that the current process involves lots of manual work.

Some options were discussed, @gziolo noted that he does not think we can publish to npm from CI since we require all accounts to use 2FA.

@nerrad suggested we can do an iteration on the automation scripts @youknowriad build andding something like `commander deploy:trunk`.

@jorgefilipecosta noted that an automation tool will face a problem when merging Gutenberg PHP changes to core.

@youknowriad agreed and added that the PHP could never be automated. Both repositories have different PHP setups/requirements (one is a plugin on top of the other). But noted PHP is the small part of the work, and a helper tool could compare versions and say, we have these PHP changes, don’t forget to backport them.

In continuation of the PHP code updates conversation, @omarreiss added that:

Normally I would solve a problem like this by treating the Gutenberg PHP as a dependency of WordPress core. We could install that and keep that up to date by using composer. There is a ticket open for managing external PHP dependencies with the composer, but it’s not moving very fast, see https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47256. If that were the case, we could register an alternative initializer/autoloader when Gutenberg is active, and we would be done. The only problem is that the PHP in Gutenberg isn’t well isolated. To really solve this problem, the PHP in Gutenberg needs to start behaving like a more clean dependency, and we should centralize its initialization. This would require some refactoring. I wouldn’t mind exploring this approach, but I’d like some blessings on the direction from people like @pento and @jorbin first.

@youknowriad noted that @omarreiss suggestion means re-architecture WordPress to be built using PHP modules (same as we do with JS). @omarreiss agreed and said that was the reason why he does not want to explore further without some openness to the direction.

Help build an automation tool

@gziolo asked if we have someone willing to explore how we can automate as much as possible to make the process on WordPress core side less time-consuming and error-prone?

@dsifford said that he does not want to get distracted from the other work he is currently doing (jsdoc improvements), but we can consider him a fallback in case no one takes up this task.

If this task is something that interests you, and you want to expand knowledge about scripting and automation, please tell us about your interest in the comments.

Gutenberg Examples repository

@gziolo opened the topic by saying that we still maintain a repository with Gutenberg examples (https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg-examples), and asked:

What’s the process like for such repositories with merging changes? I have PR opened, and I have no idea what to do next: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg-examples/pull/83

@netweb answered:

What I typically see is another Gutenberg core dev will to a drive-by review, approve and merge. So, nothing official.

The conversation continued and aborded specific subjects related to the PR @gziolo referred.

@gziolo concluded that although this repository isn’t as popular as others, we should still go through review/approve process as it’s useful.

Other subjects

@dsifford asked for reviews on PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16869 – “Add eslint-plugin-jsdoc for better JSDoc linting“.

People talked a little bit about that PR and chat participants provided some feedback.

Meanwhile, after the chat, the PR got a review, was approved and merged.

#core-js, #javascript, #meeting, #summary

This is a summary of the shiny updates…

This is a summary of the shiny updates chat from May 24. (Slack log)

Attendees: @ocean90, @swissspidy, @mapk, @ryelle, @melchoyce, @adamsilverstein, @obenland

Topics:

  • Open Pull Requests
    • @swissspidy was waiting for feedback and a merge on PR120, which happened right after conclusion of the meeting.
    • @ryelle was waiting for clearance to re-globalize pagenow in order to make more parts of shiny updates testable.
  • Overall status
    We should be at a point where we can write the merge proposal and a patch in the coming week. We have one more week to fix more bugs and get some more user eyes on update-core and themes. @ocean90 mentioned two core tickets that should be fixed before merge, #13071 and #36914 and asked for review and testing there.

Next meeting is therefore on Tuesday May 31, 20:00 UTC.

#4-6, #meeting, #shiny-updates, #upgrade-install

HTTPS discussion meeting this Wednesday

In recent releases of WordPress there have been various improvements made to support for sites running on HTTPS. While support is currently very good, it’s still too easy to end up with mixed content on a site (HTTP content embedded within an HTTPS page), and especially so when migrating an existing site from HTTP to HTTPS.

There will be a discussion meeting in the #core-http Slack channel on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2000 UTC. This is one hour before the regular weekly meeting in #core. I’d like to discuss three topics:

  1. Implementing an (opt-in) method of forcing a site to use HTTPS.
    • What should this cover? (Embedded content, enqueued scripts/styles, links, redirects)
    • How should it be implemented? (eg. filter/constant/automatic)
  2. Defaulting to HTTPS for new installs when it’s available.
    • Only applies when setting up a site over HTTP and it’s available over HTTPS.
    • Need to communicate clearly to the user what this implies, with option to toggle.
  3. Aiding in switching an existing site from HTTP to HTTPS.
    • Migrating existing embedded content.
    • Should this be a feature plugin?

If you’re interested in helping out with any of the above, or with HTTPS improvements in general, join us on Wednesday.

Further reading: the https tag on Core Trac.

#https, #meeting

Shortcodes roadmap — clarifications

As mentioned in the initial shortcodes roadmap post, the main purpose of this roadmap is to find the best way for improving the shortcodes API and moving it forward. Currently it is slow, fragile, and attempts to handle a lot of edge cases. For this, the most important part is:

  • No shortcodes in HTML tags attributes.
  • No HTML in shortcodes attributes.

There are a few things that deserve to be clarified. Simple shortcodes are great. They are easy to understand and be typed directly by the users. Example: [gallery].

Unfortunately many plugins add complex shortcodes with many attributes and often with nested shortcodes. These are a nightmare for the users. They are not intended be typed directly and can be edited by some sort of UI. Using shortcodes to store this type of data in post_content is not a good idea. Since there is a UI for entering and editing, it would be better to use a simple shortcode to “hold the place”, and save all the data in post meta.

Many of these complex shortcodes also include HTML tags in their attributes. To keep that functionality, the second roadmap draft proposed an extended syntax that allows the shortcodes “content” (the text wrapped by [shortcode] and [/shortcode]) to be additionally separated by delimiters. That would allow for shortcode attributes to contain HTML tags that are stored in the shortcode content.

These delimiters are not intended to be typed directly by the users. They are intended for the plugins that have shortcode editing UI and cannot function without storing HTML in shortcode attributes.

At first look this makes the syntax needlessly complex. However after looking at how complex shortcodes are used now, it is relatively the same: these shortcodes cannot be typed directly and are useless without some sort of UI.

There have been questions about line breaks in shortcode content. It is possible to add support for this. However it will benefit only a very small amount of users. Since shortcodes “live” in HTML context, and line breaks are ignored there, typing in the Text editor and switching to the Visual editor will remove all line breaks. Typing in the Visual editor will add paragraph tags. So only users that never use the Visual editor and have to type long, complex shortcodes will see some benefit.

The Shortcode API Roadmap meeting is in #feature-shortcode today at 17z, which is 2015-10-14 1700.

#meeting, #roadmaps, #shortcodes