Dev Chat summary: January 15, 2020 (5.4 week 1)

The chat was facilitated by @francina on this agenda.

Full meeting transcript on Slack

Announcements / WordPress 5.4

At the moment there are 288 tickets milestoned for 5.4.

@francina is working on putting together a release squad. Some roles are already confirmed:

The whole team should be assembled by the end of the week. There is a fewer roles than in 5.3, because it’s a shorter release. The first Beta release is in 3 weeks from now.

@davidbaumwald expects to release the bug scrubs schedule by the end of the week.

@karmatosed added that Core design triages (on Mondays) for a few weeks can also focus on 5.4 to boost things.

@audrasjb noted that depending on the number of accessibility related tickets, the Accessibility Team can organize some extra accessibility focused bug scrubs. He will check the milestone to see if there is a need for more accessibility bug scrubs.

As @azaozz stated, hopefully component maintainers will take bigger and bigger part in “driving” 5.4, and releases in general.

@pbiron asked if there is a specific focus for 5.4. @francina answered that in general, 2020 is going to focus on one big goal: full site editing with Gutenberg. @dingo_d noted that it would need some coordination with the Theme Review Team.

@paragoninitiativeenterprises noted that #49200 needs feedback from anyone interested in WordPress security, or who develops plugins/themes.

@audrasjb is working on two tickets related to Themes and Plugins auto-updates: #49199 and #48850. This is one of the 9 projects for 2019-2020. The design team already provided some helpful feedback. These tickets are now waiting for technical review so they could hopefully land in the next couple of releases.

@marybaum noted her availability for copy review on 5.4 features.

@azaozz reported the Media team will release a feature plugin for lazy loading, so it can be tested well before adding to core. The plugin should be available in a couple of days.

@francina mentioned that development on 5.4 should have started the day 5.4 was branched, back in October. In fact, many people wait for the kickoff to start working. With Beta release scheduled in 3 weeks, it’s not really the time to add not fully ready features to the scope. However, WordPress 5.5 agenda is already known, so there is no need to rush things.

@azaozz and @francina pointed out that as soon as a release’s code is moved to a branch, trunk is back in business for the next release.

@xkon noticed that the “Current Release” widget on Make/Core might be confusing for newcomers as it’s still indicating 5.3 as the current release in progress.

Calls from component maintainers

Media: @azaozz is looking at couple of small enhancements for the uploader changes from 5.3, specifically adding a link in the UI to the original image (if it was scaled), and looking at some of the edge cases when creating image sub-sizes, file size for large PNGs, etc.

Widgets & Menus: @audrasjb will coordinate with @welcher to identify priorities for an eventual specific bug scrub.

Build tools: @johnbillion is going to look at getting several of the Composer related tickets into 5.4 (like using Composer for external libraries and phpunit). @desrosj and @johnbillion to synchronize their work at some point as @desrosj is working on backporting the local Docker environment.

Comments: @imath committed to look at each ticket involving comments in 5.4.

Open Floor

Some new contributors asked about how to start with core contribution. Worth noting the next New Contributor Meeting is scheduled for next Wednesday at 20:00 UTC in #core Slack channel. This is a great opportunity to ask for help or to learn how to contribute to WordPress Core.

@francina noted that @chanthaboune and @andreamiddleton are both nominated for CMX Awards. Everybody can vote for them on the dedicated website.

#5-4, #devchat, #summary

WordPress 5.4 Planning Roundup

According to the tentative release schedule for 2020-2021, we are due to start 5.4 this week.

These are the milestones, based on the previous cycle:

  • Kickoff: 14 15 January 2020
  • Beta 1: 11 February 2020 (4 weeks from kickoff)
  • Release Candidate 1: 03 March 2020 (3 weeks from beta 1)
  • General Release: 31 March 2020 (3 weeks from release candidate 1)

Proposed WordPress 5.4 Scope

The main goal for 2020 is full site editing via Gutenberg.

For 5.4 these are the tasks:

As with every release, all component maintainers and teams are invited to prioritize their bug-fixes and enhancements for 5.4. Some suggestions that came from a few maintainers included:

  • Build/Test Tools
    • Add support for the newer versions of PHPUnit
  • Comments
    • The component was dormant for a while so during this cycle the new maintainers will do gardening and bug fixing
  • Design
    • The Design Team has a long list of issues they want to work through and they are polishing it for publication.
  • Privacy
    • UI Improvements
  • Site Health
  • REST API
    • Performance improvement
    • Work on endpoints needed by Gutenberg (Menu API and Settings API)
  • Users
    • Changes to sites with a large number of users
    • Tweaks to REST API endpoints
  • Media

In addition, all components and teams are invited to continue polishing current interactions and making the UIs more user-friendly.

I also collected all the proposals from the open call for tickets: I will submit them to the relevant component maintainers so they can evaluate if there are enough resources to address them during this release cycle and update the status.

Please bear in mind, if a ticket is still waiting for review, has no patch, or no owner, it is unlikely that it will land in 5.4. This shouldn’t stop you from continuing to work on it, gather feedback and ultimately polish it enough to have it in a future release.

Proposed WordPress 5.4 Leads

This section is still pending some answers. I will fill it in as I get Yeses and Noes from people. 

The roles needed for the release are:

  • Design Coordinator
  • Editor Tech
  • Editor Design
  • Core Tech
  • Docs Coordinator
  • Docs Writer

@matt will continue his role as release lead.

As suggested by @desrosj in a comment, it makes sense to have some roles not change for every release because it takes a while to learn and pass on the information. So David Baumwald and I will stay on for at least a couple more releases, as Triage PM and Release Coordinator respectively. The goal is for us to learn enough so we can then mentor a new group of release and focus leads.

Let’s do this!

#5-4 #planning

Dev Chat summary: January 8, 2020

The chat was facilitated by @francina on this agenda.

Full meeting transcript on Slack

Upcoming Release – WordPress 5.4

@francina reminded the main feature of 2020 will be full site editing. All component maintainers received a ping before Christmas to put together a scope for WordPress 5.4. An open call for tickets was also published on Make/Core. While @francina noted there were mostly bugfixes and not so many new features, @audrasjb raised ticket #48850 from the comments of this post. This ticket is related to automatic updates for plugins (with manual opt-in), which is one of the 9 projects for 2019-2020.

@azaozz noted that the media component team plan to continue with image post-processing. It looks like it will need couple of small UI changes/enhancements.

@audrasjb added the accessibility team will probably focus on bugfixes on both Gutenberg and Core for 5.4, and target the next major (5.5) for bigger new features.

Highlighted posts

@francina noted that a lot of volunteers signed up to the release model working group. @francina will write a recap post on Make/Core.

Worth noting @azaozz published a 5.3 release cycle post-mortem.

Components check-in

Comments: @imath is working on #35214. Feedback welcome.

Core privacy: @xkon said the privacy team won’t have any specific focuses for 5.4, only bugfixing & enhancements on existing parts. Some of them need backward compatibility review, especially #44038 and #44176. Both tickets have a patch and are ready for further iterations if needed.

Media: @azaozz is experimenting with #44427. Seems a very worthwhile enhancement for 5.4.

Open floor

In the agenda comments, @justinahinon pointed out some editing needed in the roadmap, and highlighted reactions of the community concerning handling of big media on WP 5.3. @azaozz noted most comments are about “missing” the original image in some way. The initial plan was to have a link to it in the user interface. It should be added in 5.4. Another enhancement for the UI would/may be to show when an image is missing some of the sub-sizes and have a way to create them. There are plugins that handle this, but may be time to have it in core. There are couple of pre-existing edge-cases that need fixing too. Most notably increase of the file size for indexed PNGs when resized to smaller dimensions.

@timothyblynjacobs shared #47192 as a possible 5.4 feature. It’d bring a pretty often requested feature to Recovery Mode. It would need design and copy input as well as a security review from people familiar with the intricacies of the Users/Capabilities API.

#5-4, #devchat, #release-process, #summaries

Dev Chat summary: December 11, 2019

@davidbaumwald facilitated based on this agenda; @marybaum is your faithful reporter.

You can find the full transcript here.

Announcements and highlighted posts

No announcements, but David and the crew highlighted these posts. If you have thoughts, be sure to get your comments in as soon as possible if you want them to hit the 5.4 milestone:

@audrasjb added this dev note from 5.3.1:

Upcoming Releases

5.3.1

@audrasjb updated the group on 5.3.1.

Before Tuesday’s release of the RC1, the team got the milestone completely clear, to the tune of 44 tickets, and issued props to @sergeybiryukov and @azaozz for final commits and the build.

Some new/reopened tickets landed in the milestone after the release, so @audrasjb planned at RC2 for shortly after the chat and then the final release of 5.3.1 on Thursday. (ed. note: That all did happen as planned.)

5.4

Taking back the mic, @davidbaumwald reminded the group about the 5.4 call for tickets. Please publicize!

Components

@davidbaumwald formally welcomed @imath to the group. He and David have adopted the Comments component.

Two other Components, the Filesystem API and Rewrite Rules, still need maintainers.

Open Floor

Holiday scheduling

@carike asked if #devchat would meet this coming week, on December 18.

After a bit of discussion, @azaozz confirmed that we would, but would not meet on December 25 or January 1.

Happy holidays if you celebrate any; please accept two more hours in your week(s) otherwise!

Webfonts API

@carike brought up ticket #46370, a new feature request, that proposes building a webfonts API to register and enqueue web fonts.

You can find the discussion here.

#5-3-1, #5-4

WordPress 5.4 – Open Call for Tickets

Since we have a plan for the next releases, it’s time for an open call for tickets!

Although iterating and stabilizing the new block editor is still top of the list, I’d like to open this call for additional high priority items.

Please leave a comment that links to tickets that need some attention in this release cycle. 

Component Maintainers: please comment with features that you might have in the works.

Thanks!

Note: Adding your ticket here won’t necessarily guarantee inclusion. Still, no one can fix things they can’t see, so bravely and kindly share.

#5-4