• How to use HelpScout
  • HelpScout autoresponder
  • Our promotions spreadsheet
  • Looking for volunteers to start training meetups
  • Questions from testers
  • Hashtag
  • Summary

Update on Core Message and Contact Form

Our core message and form are ready to start sending out and promoting. They can be found here: https://make.wordpress.org/community/handbook/meetup-organizer/event-formats/diversity-speaker-training-workshop/

How to Use HelpScout

As of yesterday the HelpScout system is set up for us. This is so that we can have several people be in correspondence with meetups who are interested in running the workshop.

I’ll be looking for a few people to be on the HelpScout team. Preference will go to people who are interested in taking leadership positions in our group to replace me within the year, though that is not required.

The interface looks like this. It’s mostly fairly standard email-looking.

The part we’ll need to pay attention to is “Status” and “Assigned”.

By default the status is “Closed”, but we want to keep them “Active” until we are certain there is no more communication that we need to have with them. [Edit: Have since set this to Active by default.]

Initially we want to keep it assigned to “Anyone” so that any of us can jump in and reply next. There may be certain circumstances where there is something a particular person needs to be in action for, so that’s when we would assign it to someone.

HelpScout Autoresponder

I’ve had a couple of requests from the testers for autoresponders so that people know their message went through.
Edit since meeting: @iandunn and I set up the autoresponder.

Our Promotions Spreadsheet

When someone messages us, we will put it right away into our spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/195OBnYAOIvZNeoOSmginTtwzY8yegWCQWWm4Jf31gik/edit?usp=sharing

As well as messages we will keep track of our promoting in the spreadsheet on another tab. Mark down what you’re planning on doing and when you did it.

Looking for Volunteers to Start Training Meetups

I’m going to start looking for people to start being “train the trainers” so that when meetups ask for training, we can help them. Please tell me if you’d like to do this.

Questions from testers:

Q: Where can we find the materials for the pitch and description of the workshop to send out when you’re holding it for your local group?

A: It’s the “Description” at the top of each module. I wil try to make that more clear.

Q: Where can we find the handouts?

A: I haven’t put those up yet but I will very soon.

Also when I’ve trained people on this material lately they’ve been wanting slides, so I have talked with the #training team about how we can put up slides. We are going to use reveal.js, and soon the lessons will be moved over to github and everything will be hosted there.

Seattle gave me their slides, so I will use those as a starting point. I may call out for volunteers to help with slides.

Hashtag

We have a tweet from the last recap to use and we have a hashtag: #WPWomenSpeak.

If you want to see all the recaps easily in one place, we’re using that same tag to mark them. So they’re all here: https://make.wordpress.org/community/tag/wpwomenspeak/

In Summary:

• Looking for volunteers for replying to meetups in HelpScout
  • Looking for volunteers to start training meetups on our workshop
  • It’s time to start promoting. Let me know how and by when you’re planning on sending it out and we’ll keep track in the spreadsheet.

End meeting Time Stamp

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1518024447000774

#community-team

Weekly Updates

Hello to all our Deputies, WordCamp organizers, Meetup wranglers, and WordPress Community builders! You were probably hard at work this weekend. Tell us what you got accomplished in our #weekly-update!

Have you run into a roadblock with the stuff you’re working on? Head over to #community-events or #community-team in Slack and ask for help!

Weekly Deputy Report: 2 – 8 February 2018

The stats for this report are taken from the weekly Help Scout reports and, as such, only reflect the activity inside Help Scout. While this covers the majority of our community work and interaction, it excludes a few things: most WordCamp mentorship discussions, all WordCamp application processing, and any interactions in Slack (Office Hours, general chatter, answering questions, etc.) – those are all handled on other platforms.

Here are the stats for this past week (2 – 8 February 2018):

This week we sent 112 emails and helped 67 individuals. Of those, 50 of the tickets were successfully resolved.

The deputies who handled those tickets in Help Scout this week are:

@camikaos
@courtneypk
@_dorsvenabili
@remediosgraphic
@chanthaboune
@hlashbrooke
@andreamiddleton
@yaycheryl
@iandunn
@sheriebeth
@kdrewien

A huge thank you to all of these individuals for their hard work in supporting the WordPress community this week!

#deputies #report

Draft version of “WordCamp regulation OK/NG case study”

Here’s the draft version of “WordCamp regulation OK/NG case study” in the handbook. I’d like to add more items when we agree on this.

We got the cases from this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bkpvieQA4NIh9AFUxX-oZe_S7gKMdDvwewwUdERx2N0/edit#gid=0

—-
Questions about WordCamp regulations are welcome at #community-event.
Here are some case studies that you can refer when face issues.

A company has the faux WordPress logo on their website or in contents.

NG. We need to ask the person to change that to a correct logo.

A speaker owns and uses a domain name that have “wordpress” as a part of it. He asked the organizers to put a link to the site on his bio.

NG. We need to tell them to change the domain name, or he can’t be a speaker as it’s a violation.

A WordCamp speaker who owns a wordpress-xyz.domain domain but does not mention it in their talks or at the conference and knows they will need to change the domain.

NG. We need to tell them to change the domain name, or he can’t be a speaker as it’s a violation.

How we can handle budget outside US/Canada (e.g. banking account)

OK. We can transfer the money between the countries and US/Canada. And you also can receive and pay directly inside the country without bypassing US/Canada.

A Hosting company wanted to sponsor WC Mumbai but they had a subsidiary which built and distributed Non-GLP themes to be bundled with CPanel. They said they couldn’t change much in another division and hence dropped out but later they wanted to sponsor another WordCamp.

NG. But they realized this would always keep them away from participating as sponsors so they switched their licenses for WordPress themes.

ref.: https://2015.pune.wordcamp.org/2015/08/26/wordcamp-pune-impact-two-organisations-fully-embrace-gpl-one-trademark-violation-averted/

On the speaker candidate’s website, the organization team found links to a theme shop that does not follow 100% GPL.

NG. We asked the speaker to remove the link, and the speaker removed the link.We welcomed him as a speaker.

I need advice on how to handle the following two cases.

A person works for a marketplace that sells non-GPL WordPress products. They want to help organize or volunteer at a WordCamp.

A person is selling themes/plugins that require activation key to use them.

After I get feedbacks from the team, I’d like to proceed on creating a new handbook page. Please add comments until 31th, March. Thanks.

( @shinichiN gave me translation support. Thanks. )

Weekly Updates

Hello to all our Deputies, WordCamp organizers, Meetup wranglers, and WordPress Community builders! You were probably hard at work this weekend. Tell us what you got accomplished in our #weekly-update!

Have you run into a roadblock with the stuff you’re working on? Head over to #community-events or #community-team in Slack and ask for help!

Community Team Chat Agenda | Thursday, 1 February 2018

Hey Team!

Our bi-monthly Community Team chat is happening this Thursday, 1 February 2018. Meeting times are 08:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC in #community-team on Slack – we use the same agenda for both meetings in order to include all time zones.

Agenda

1. Deputy check-in:
    What have you been doing and how is it going?
  2. Email addresses and support queues for working groups:
    This is important to take note of and make suggestions where necessary.
  3. P2 posts needing review/feedback:

Please add any additional items to this agenda by commenting on this post as needed.

#meeting #agenda

Weekly Updates

Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on January 24th, 2018

Start time stamp in Community-Team Slack
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1516813231000016

Attending:
@jillbinder @caroleo @andreamiddleton @sheilagomes

Today’s Agenda

• Our final core message
  • Our online article and form
  • Testing the HelpScout system
  • Support for those of you running workshops and train the trainer sessions
  • Next promotion actions that people would like to take
  • Our promotions spreadsheet

Our final core message

We discussed on the last meeting if we should use “women” or “people who identify as women.” I checked in with a few people and we decided on “women and other underrepresented groups.” I have kept the mention of “people who identify as women” later in the message.

Our online article and form

Our core message is now up online along with a form that I have put together:

https://make.wordpress.org/community/handbook/meetup-organizer/event-formats/diversity-speaker-training-workshop/

I think the core message is finalized now, unless someone has a burning “this must be changed.”

I put together a version of the form based on @BlogAid’s suggestions in a previous meeting, along with some other things I think we need. I am open to feedback.

Feedback ~

@caroleo: Sixth question I would rather say: “Would you like us to train you…” as this should be a question if the answers are yes or no

@andreamiddleton: It might be useful to add a field for meetup.com URL. Sometimes people will identify as one city but their meetup is in a suburb, especially with big cities.

@sheilagomes filled out the form and wasn’t sure if it was done right. I got Sheila’s feedback after the meeting.

Testing the HelpScout system

The other thing we’ve been working on is how the form is going to work. Currently it’s forwarding to my email address.

Soon @andreamiddleton will have it set to go to HelpScout. My understanding is this is a system that allows us to all see the correspondences easily so that nothing is getting repeated nor lost. That way any of us will be able to go in and pick up where the last one of us left off with corresponding to someone.

Through this system we hope to:
a) Keep track of which meetups are running it so we can keep a tally on how close to our goal of 27 meetups this year we are getting

b) Keep track of who would like us to train them how to run it

There’s a trade-off. We need to maintain the spreadsheet of meetup replies and statuses manually. The trade-off will be worth it though for the easier communication.

The first tab of this spreadsheet is where we will put in their answers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/195OBnYAOIvZNeoOSmginTtwzY8yegWCQWWm4Jf31gik/edit?usp=sharing

Currently it’s viewable by anyone with a link and will make it editable by invitation only.

@caroleo volunteered to be the gatekeeper for giving our team access to edit the spreadsheet. Anyone outside of our team, she will check them with me.

Support for those running workshops and train the trainer sessions

Many of the people in our team are planning on running the workshop themselves. If you’re the contact for your city and you’re planning on running a training, please fill out our form after it is hooked up to HelpScout so we can test this system.

Next promotion actions that people would like to take

A number of people on our team are ready to start promoting as soon as our message is up online and ready.

Let’s start promoting next week. That way we can make sure HelpScout is ironed out and also we have the chance to test the system amongst ourselves. [Edit: It is not yet ready. I will edit this once it is.]

Also let us know how we can support you in running the workshop and train the trainer trainings.

The second tab of the spreadsheet is where we’ll keep track of who is doing what promotions. I’ve put a few people in there that I know about. You can talk to me to get yours into it or ask @caroleo for access to be able to edit it yourself.

@caroleo: I can help with promoting here in Europe

@sheilagomes: We had our last local meetup on Saturday and I mentioned the workshop on February, inviting everybody, and I talked to some people on Slack, but not broadly yet. I had said I would write en article based on the first video of the training. Is that video going to be available publicly?

@jillbinder: It is not available publicly. I will create another one that will be or get permission from the current people to use this one. TBD.

Please feel free to reach out to me (@jillbinder) on Slack, in the #community-team channel, or by comment on this post.

End meeting time stamp

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1516815189000154

#wpwomenspeak

Weekly Updates

Weekly Deputy Report: 12 – 18 January 2018

Hey folks!

We’re back with the weekly deputy reports in 2018 now – looking forward to reporting on all the great work that our deputies do on a regular basis.

The stats for this report are taken from the weekly Help Scout reports and, as such, only reflect the activity inside Help Scout. While this covers the majority of our community work and interaction, it excludes a few things: most WordCamp mentorship discussions, all WordCamp application processing, and any interactions in Slack (Office Hours, general chatter, answering questions, etc.) – those are all handled on other platforms.

Here are the stats for this past week (12 – 18 January 2018):

This week we sent 146 emails and helped 98 individuals. Of those, 70 of the tickets were successfully resolved.

The deputies who handled those tickets in Help Scout this week are:

@courtneypk
@camikaos
@_dorsvenabili
@hlashbrooke
@bph
@kcristiano
@chanthaboune
@coreymckrill
@andreamiddleton
@iandunn

A huge thank you to all of these individuals for their hard work in supporting the WordPress community this week!

#deputies #report