Survey for New Meeting Times

Team! I have good news and bad news here. The good news: we have amazing people who are excited about working with our team. The bad news: what has become a large majority of our consistent contributors are no longer able to make our standard meeting time (currently Tuesdays at 19:00UTC). This has caused our progress (which had been on fire in late summer/early fall!) to stagnate as a result of scheduling issues.

BUT! This is a fixable problem! Over the last month or so we have collectively decided that we need to consider changing our meeting time. Please fill out this survey to share your available times: https://doodle.com/poll/qtb3yucfvgkhd4sg. This survey will show up with the times listed in the time zone you are in. Please also note: I set this up with a random theoretical week in the future, what we are voting on is day of week (M-TH) and time of day, not the specific dates that show up in the Doodle.

Please be as generous with your Doodle selections as possible. The reality here is that we’re dealing with many people’s complex schedules, many time zones, and also avoiding all of the other meeting times for the other Make teams. If you have flexibility in your schedule, please keep that in mind so that we can best account for the needs of those folks who don’t have as much flexibility.

Update, request, and question for the Speaker Training [& Diversity Outreach] Modules

I wrote this in today’s Training team meeting, and Beth asked me to make it a blog post so that everyone can read, digest, and comment.

  1. First I wanted to let you know what’s happening with the Speaker Training [& Diversity Outreach] modules:

    It works. We’ve had more women speak at meetups and WordCamps as a result of it in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and Montreal. Partly because I hadn’t finished the modules and partly because we weren’t putting in good promotion, most folk haven’t known about it. So I’m:

    • committing to finishing them asap, and
    • @andreamiddleton and I have created a “Diversity Outreach Speaker Team” working group

    The group was announced on Community yesterday. (https://make.wordpress.org/community/2017/11/13/call-for-volunteers-diversity-outreach-speaker-training/) We’re going to create an “army of Jills.” ;D I’m going to train people to run it, train them to train others, get promotion going, and make it a self-perpetuating system so that I can walk away in about half a year and it will live on.

  2. As part of this working group, I wanted to let you know I will be doing some live training on WCUS Contributor Day. If you’re interested in participating or could send along others who would be, that would be great!
  3. Quick update on where the modules are at:
    • I have this week finished merging the refinements that the Vancouver team made with the changes that new contributors have added
    • I have reviewed all the new contributions

    To do:

    • Create the Agendas for each module and update the descriptions
    • Figure out a format for the Workbook so that it’s open source for changes (or editable by the gatekeeper(s))
    • Revise the workbooks with all the new content changes
    • Reconsider the current format of how the modules are broken down. Cities have reported to me that it’s confusing.
  4. Lastly, I also wanted to revisit an idea we had previously: having a gatekeeper (was that the word?) for changes to the workshop. @bethsoderberg said this was something that was implemented successfully previously.

    I think it’s important to do because:

    1. Being a highly interactive and thus also could easily be a tiring workshop, right now there’s a really good pacing to it that keeps people energized, and I want to make sure the new info keeps the pacing.
    2. Changes need to be coordinated with the workbooks.
    3. Someone offered to do translations of the material, and that will need to be coordinated too.

    I’d like to volunteer to be the first person to do this. Right now I’m the one who knows the project the best. (It is more my strength and passion rather than this other work I’ve been dawdling on for a long time. 😉 )

    I’d like to propose that I also train the working group to take on this role so that we will always have folk to do it. Plus I’ll have people to go implement the changes if I get busy or sick again.

    How does that sound?

    If good, let’s discuss the logistics of how this happens another time.

Agenda for November 14, 2017 Meeting

Please join us later today at 19:00 UTC in the #training Slack channel for our weekly meeting! A brief agenda for today:

  1. Welcome
  2. General updates
  3. New meeting times – we are so close! We’ll take a look at the survey here.
  4. Planning for WordCamp US Contributor Day
  5. Open announcement/discussion time

If you have any other items to add to the agenda, please list them in the comments. We’ll see you soon!

WordCamp US 2017 Contributor Day Planning

WordCamp US is approaching and will be in Nashville in early December, with a contributor day on the Sunday, December 3rd. Since this will be an opportunity for many contributors of the training team to meet in person we want to make sure we’re gathering a list of all of the items we’d like to address as a team beforehand to make the most efficient use of our time together. That said, for those who are not able to make it in person, we will work as a team to make sure that you are updated and able to participate as much as possible in what we’re working on this day.

We’ll chat about this subject over the next few weeks in team meetings and will use this post as a place to store our thoughts and asynchronously share our ideas.

Please add your ideas in the comments!

No Meeting Oct. 17th – AND Meeting times?

Hi All!

Sorry for the late notice, but we need to cancel today’s meeting!

But, instead of chatting with us in real time, please comment below as to if any other days/times would work better for our team meetings. Due to schedule shifts, life happenings, moves, etc we haven’t been having many folks at our weekly meetings, so if another time would work better, please comment below!

Just an FYI, that we will not schedule our meeting during another WordPress team meeting. Here’s a list of all current meeting times. Thanks Shanta for pulling this information together!

Recap of September 26, 2017, Meeting

LAST CALL FOR FEEDBACK ON WORKFLOW CHART

We will include any feedback on the chart by @aimeegc that is received by Monday, October 2nd and then move forward with what we have.

Content flow chart (draft)

Hi all, this was posted on the Training slack channel, but it’s also here for easier consumption and commenting/reference.

A word of preface:

Ok this is a liiiittle bit overwhelming to look at because it’s consolidated into one space. My goal was to capture the pieces everyone has offered and what I’ve heard, and create thematic spaces with subflows inside them (each space). Then, I wanted those to be situated inside a newcomer’s POV, with the two areas they can jump in to participate/help. All of this is architected on the premise that we’re going to try Github, and knowing/planning for that made this task IMMENSELY easier (aka I got unstuck way faster). I hope that’s a sign that using Github will make organizing this flow IRL immensely easier. Accountability will be a different story, but I am confident that improved visibility of workflow and tagging others will improve accountability.

The draft flowchart:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1OcxNtZ80UPn7JdGtiuUT4yRXN7TKEvIlk1hoUCttRts/edit

 

We also discussed this in the 12 September meeting, so be sure to check out the Meeting Recap for that date.

-AGC

#content, #content-flow, #user-flow

Lesson Plan Format

Recently the team has been talking about how to restructure and smooth out our processes moving forward. One thread of these conversations has centered around the fact that people are not actually using our lesson plans as a script when delivering the lessons. People are not reading them word for word (which we agreed is a good thing!). This leads to the question: does the format of the lesson plans need to change in order to facilitate easier and more effective teaching?

A bit of history on this: the lesson plan format dates to very early on the team where the general dictate was that lesson plans needed to be written as scripts to encourage everyone to be able to teach. Over time the lesson plans have gone through significant testing that shows that hardly anyone actually uses the plans as a “script” and that teachers of the lesson plans have/need some exposure to WordPress in order to effectively teach the lesson plans. The lesson plans as they exist now are being used, it is just a question of whether refactoring them into a different fact would be useful or not.

We will not be getting rid of the current lesson plans, but would like to brainstorm, over the long run, what format we want our lessons to have.

Once we determine a format, we will reformulate one or two plans and test those, in order to test our assumptions about the new format. THEN we may work on refactoring existing plans to fit the new, tested format.

Please record your thoughts on the lesson plan format here rather than in the Slack channel so that all of our ideas are recorded in one place. We are at a discussion stage with this particular question and no one has decided what exactly would be helpful to change. The sole goal of this conversation is to make sure that the format of the future lesson plans is as helpful to teachers as possible. All ideas/thoughts/constructive feedback are welcome 🙂

 

Agenda for August 29th Meeting

Please join us later today at 19:00 UTC in the #training Slack channel for our weekly meeting! A brief agenda for today:

  • Welcome
  • General updates
  • Continue to brainstorm on structural needs for lesson plans

If you have any other items to add to the agenda, please list them in the comments.

We will need a volunteer to take notes for today’s meeting. Please let us know in the comments or in Slack if you are interested/able to take today’s notes!

Recap of August 2, 2017 Meeting

@aimeegc is working on the content flow audit process and is working to have something by the end of September.

@conradhallauthor has completed the first stage of content inventory and will now begin to identify the state of each piece with the help of @coachwp and incorporate testing feedback

@bethsoderberg and @melindahelt will take a look at SupportFlow and see what needs to happen there.

@coachwp reminded us about https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PPb9Y9eXhdZXS7QJYCcWXzyMZRVVoVDLXrEbYyTHfnY/edit#gid=0 which will be helpful to the inventory that @conradhallauthor is working on

@aimeegc mentioned in regards to processing lesson plan testing feedback (Google Spreadsheet) “This may or may not be helpful, but the name for what we’re starting to veer into is actually a whole thing called Program Evaluation (taking feedback, results, questions, etc, and making sense of it to determine whether something is working well or not, as well as turning all that data and results into actionable next steps) so it was smart to have a person working on this only, and we may want to come back to that once we have a content flow to discuss. Just stating it for the record at this point. There are people who devote their career solely to this part of what we’re endeavoring to do”

@bethsoderberg brought up a topic from our last video call that we determined that folks are not actually using our lesson plans as a script when delivering the lessons. People are not reading them word for word (which we agreed is a good thing!)

We will not be ditching the current lesson plans, but would like to brainstorm, over the long run, what format we want our lessons to have.

Once we determine a format, we will reformulate one or two plans and test those, in order to confirm the new format. THEN we may work on refactoring existing plans to fit the new, tested format.

We discussed an outline format, similar to something that could be converted to slides by the instructor.

We also discussed the original assumption that instructors didn’t already know everything (and didn’t need to) in order to pick up a lesson plan and teach it.

@aaimeeg shared a sample lesson plan format: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JDgl8BJ9c7Q2moaUkyG075RD5wlX0Yb0xsEZlME4aYI/edit

@aimeegc shared the following from WordCamp for Publishers:

A lot of what I heard was about the frustration that WordPress developers aren’t ramped up enough for the kinds of developer positions open (in Publishing, but I bet this is true elsewhere), and it would be great to channel people’s desire to learn and get good at WordPress specific to goals and industry. WordPress developing is context-specific, so it would be great to see more support or direction being applied to what people want to do with what they’re learning about WordPress.

I’m not entirely sure how that should fit into our scope as it currently exists, but if our goal is to provide official training and skill building to become professional wordpress developers, through helping teachers of WordPress teach others, then it might be worthwhile to entertain how we might consider this need from our wider WordPress community

@bethsoderberg mentioned that this could potentially be addressed in the future workshop plans rather than individual lesson plans themselves.