Recap of March 21, 2017 Meeting

@donkiely finished copyediting Improving Site Performance LP and is looking for feedback. He notes: I’m not sure that it couldn’t use an overhaul. It takes a rather conceptual approach rather than a hands-on walkthrough. First I’ve seen like that, so I’m not sure if that’s what we want. I feel like it needs fleshing out. There are some steps that can be demonstrated and not just talked about. I suppose it’s okay as an overview, so maybe a follow-on lesson that digs deeper?

See LP at https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/plugin-lessons/improving-site-performance/

@bethsoderberg, can you update Trello with this information?

@coachWP reported an excellent first session of his WordPress class for high school students using training team materials.

@chanthaboune wondered if we’re at a point right now where we can maybe backburner the creation of new individual lesson plans and instead focus on really getting the workshops into a polished state. The idea being that if we have them polished up and useable, we may get more proof of concept after they are used/tested.

@melindahelt shared https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/blog-box-wordpress/ as a potential way to have some tech workshops create and install WordPress to have a local install to work on.

@donkiely will work on auditing lessons that have not been copy edited since the last release to flag any lessons that should be updated based on the new features.

Agenda for March 21, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Announcements and Questions
#agenda

Agenda for March 6, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Announcements and Questions
#agenda

Agenda for February 28, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Announcements and Questions
#agenda

Recap of February 14, 2017 Meeting

Slack log (requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account).

Lesson Plan Updates

Copyediting Updates

  • @donkiely finished copyediting the template tour plan and is currently working on copyediting the WooCommerce plan
  • @skarjune finished copyediting the widget areas plan and it is ready for testing.

Testing Updates

From @melindahelt: We had 5 in attendance. No real theme developers, so I presented the same information but highlighted the user side of the application (selecting H1, H2 in editor vs coding into a theme).

Overall, the content was great, but it did feel a little basic for a “theme” lesson plan.

We did have a blind software developer attendee who came specifically to learn more about WordPress. We took advantage of having a subject matter expert and launched into a larger discussion/Q&A after the presentation, which was enjoyed by all.

One specific suggestion from the software developer was to include at least a mention of form accessibility. Even though this is just a taste of accessibility, that’s an area where things can go wrong very quickly and a form can be completely un-accessable to screen readers.

A second attendee sent me the following after our meeting:
1) A skip navigation link.
Once someone has screen read the navigation/menu a number of times they no longer need to hear it. Insert near the top of the html a link <a class=”screen-reader-tex­t skip-link” href=”#MainContent” title=”Skip to content”>Skip to content</a>, and then just before the content <a name=”maincontent” id=”maincontent”><­/a>
See http://webaim.org/techniques/skipnav/­ for a more detailed explanation.

2) Include an audio file of a screen reader reading an html page.
Perhaps done by having the page with an audio button, so the user can see what the screen reader is reading.
I was already thinking a little bit about suggestion #2. We talked about screen readers and the blind developer offered to do a demo for us some day. But, perhaps a video/audio clip showing a screen reader as it navigates through a page would be a helpful resource. I know there’s way to turn that on with some operating systems, but having something ready to go for instructors would be helpful.

  • Given this feedback, we talked about expanding the plan to have a separate plan for users and one for theme developers. We also talked about pushing this out into a full workshop and will talk about this on the blog and in next week’s meeting.

Other Things

  • @donkiely noticed that the Storefront theme used in the WooCommerce plan is not included in the style guide. We decided to change the style guide to say that Storefront is “approved” for WooCommerce lesson plans, but to make sure that people know that other themes can be used with WooCommerce. We also double checked that Storefront is GPL compliant.

Recap of January 31, 2017 Meeting

Slack log (requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account).
Welcome
Lesson Plan Updates

  • @Skarjune: “Customizer: Taglines” should be complete by EOD of meeting. Working on three other LP copy edits next week.
  • @Donkiely: Unable to make progress due to ambiguity of task. Will review Template Tour and remove red text and strike-throughs.

Discussion of Yearly Goals

  1. Content flow solution
  2. More solid copyediting process (ties into 1)
  3. Proper handbook (ties to 1 + 2)
  4. Outreach to local groups
  5. An accessibility workshop

It seemed generally agreed that considering Edit Flow as one solution and focusing on #1 are probably good ideas but no word on how long it will take to get Edit Flow appropriate sign offs. @bethsoderberg will talk to @chanthaboune when she is back online.

Trello to be an interim solution until Edit Flow (or something else is implemented.

Because of the enormity of the goals @bethsoderberg will write a post about what we know so far about each of our goals and then members can pick up the torch on the pieces they are interested in.

Recap of January 17, 2017 Meeting

Lesson Updates

Copyediting

  • @skarjune has written an excellent post about the style guide: https://make.wordpress.org/training/2017/01/17/lesson-plan-style-guide-and-glossary/

– Brief discussion about the MailChimp style guide and how it could be good inspiration.

  • @donkiely finished Custom Post Types and Content Editor Overview

– The html and php shortcodes aren’t working; @chanthaboune will ask if it’s the O2 upgrade that did it
– If they are broken, let’s use “pre”

Testing

  • @melindahelt is looking at the Theme Accessibility lesson for testing in February.

Goals Discussion
It boils down to a few distinct buckets of things. In no particular order:
1. Content flow solution
2. More solid copyediting process (ties into 1)
3. Proper handbook (ties to 1 + 2)
4. Outreach to local groups
5. An accessibility workshop

Let’s make a plan!

  • @bethsoderberg – In my mind 3 needs to come before 4 and pieces of 2 are going to need to come after 1. 5 requires a lot of research to start, so the actual production should happen later and research sooner.
  • @chanthaboune – I think there’s an extent to which we can do… setup for 1, creation of 3… and research for 5 in the first quarter or two of the year.
  • @melindahelt 5 is independent of the others. #4 – depends on type of outreach. If we (team members) are looking for local groups for us to present/test plans, then that can really happen almost any time. But if the goal of #4 would be sending people to our site, then yes, content needs to be better organized and ready

Actions

  • comment on that post with more thoughts on timing, then next week we can talk first steps for each piece?

Agenda for January 17, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be in the #training channel on Slack later today for our weekly meeting at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, please leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. Review of 2017 Goals and next steps
6. Announcements and Questions

 

 

Recap of January 10, 2017 Meeting

Lessons

  • @juliekuehl needs a few more people to look at the a11y lesson
  • @chmchm has started on the Basic Theme Configuration lesson
    • Do we need a section about how to add menus?
  • @meaganhanes is finishing up Finding Help For Your Theme this week

Copyediting

  • @noplanman will proofread the a11y lesson
  • @donkiely finished Customizer: Static Front Page vs. Content Feed, and Managing Menus
  • @esteschris has finished Header and Background Themes
  • There are a few lessons that have been edited, but are waiting for final review before being marked complete. Post to come.
  • @donkiely will take on the Custom Post Types, if that’s not spoken for. Content Editor Overview lessons for editing

Testing

  • @skarjune is going to be using the Getting Started with WordPress workshop soon.
  • @chanthaboune spoke with the Hack the Hood team today to identify any holes in the theme workshop. Updates by 1/24.
  • The themes to test page is up to date as of 1/3/2017

Open Discussion

  • The O2 upgrade is complete!
  • We discussed some discrepancies between our styleguide and what editors are seeing in their assigned lessons. Post to follow.
  • We discussed the possible need for a Glossary (this seemed relevant to @bethsoderberg‘s upcoming post re: content on the site). Post to start discussion on the p2 will follow.

If you haven’t weighed in on goals yet, now is your chance!

Agenda for January 10, 2017 Meeting

We’ll be in the #training channel on Slack later today at our regular time: 20:00 UTC. If you can’t make it, leave us a note in the comments and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

1. Welcome!
2. Lesson Plan Updates
3. Copyediting Updates
4. Testing Updates
5. 2017 Goals!
6. Announcements and Question Time
#agenda