- This project thread expands upon our Project Proposal: Content Localization and seeks to outline the tasks we aim to complete to accomplish the project’s goals to increase and expand availability of content on Learn WordPress to a variety of non-English locales by:
- Creating new non-English, and translating existing content in the form of:
- Online Workshops
- Lesson Plans
- Increasing non-English locale representation in the Online Workshop Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Group
- Increasing non-English locale representation in the Training Team
- Engaging with and bringing in more non-English locales into the Learn WordPress community
By the end of this project, the Training Team will have a repeatable process in place to increase and expand availability of non-English content on Learn WordPress.
This project is the first phase of a two-phased initiative. The second initiative will consist of metrics gathering and maintenance of a steady flow of multilingual educational content on Learn WordPress.
The initial proposal for this project can be read here.
Project lead: @piyopiyofox
Project Members: @bsanevans, @courtneypk
Want to volunteer to help with this project? Please comment on this post!
Start: November 7, 2022
End: March 31, 2023
In order to achieve the above mentioned goals and ensure the success of this project, we will need to focus our efforts on the following objectives:
- Establish the Locale Ambassador role
- Enlist at least five Locale Ambassadors
- Create a workflow of onboarding and how-to guides that take folks through the journey of joining the Training Team to publishing localized content
- Bring in at least two new Training Team Members from the following locale communities: Spanish, Japanese, German, French, and Italian (These five languages are a starting point based on the most used languages in the WordPress.org stats page, and are meant to be a starting point and not a decisive list)
- Have localized content show first on the Learn WordPress homepage when someone visits the page in their native locale
- Translate 10 priority learning content into each target language (Inclusive of Lesson Plans, and Tutorials)
A Locale Ambassador is someone who bridges their local community and the Training Team through various initiatives such as, but not limited to: bringing contributors into the Training Team, onboarding contributors to the Training Team’s processes and providing language support, creating localized content.
The tasks listed here have been separated by categorical work buckets.
Tasks in this section scope out project parameters and requirements for the success of this project.
Deadline: Nov 30, 2022
- Identify 10 priority learning content for translation
- Create a checklist for each locale inclusive of documentation and learning content needing translation
Tasks in this section focus on the creation of onboarding and how-to handbook pages and posts that need to be created to support this work.
Deadline: Jan 20, 2023
- Being a Locale Ambassador
- Translating a Tutorial
- Translating a Lesson Plan
- Advertising Learn Content to your local community
- Engaging the Marketing Team for publication of new locale content on Twitter
- Engaging the Polyglots Team Polyglots Team is a group of multilingual translators who work on translating plugins, themes, documentation, and front-facing marketing copy. https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/. for translation assistance
- Engaging your local community regarding joining Learn WordPress
- Bringing in Online Workshop Contributors from non-English locales
- Recruiting Locale Ambassadors
- Translate the Tutorial Handbook pages into target languages
- Translate the Lesson Plan Handbook pages into target languages
- Translate the Become an Online Workshop Facilitator or Tutorial Presenter Today! Post into target languages
Tasks in this section focus on the creation of learning content prioritized for this project.
Deadline: Mar 31, 2023
- Translate identified Lesson Plans in target locales
- Translate identified Tutorials in target locales
Tasks in this section center around work that will require a developer to implement.
Deadline: Nov 30, 2022
- Enable locale tagging for Courses, Tutorials, and Online Workshops