Test Team Chat Agenda for 21 June 2022

Here is the agenda for the upcoming Test Team Chat scheduled for 21 June 2022 at 16:00 UTC, which is held in the #core-test Slack channel. Lurkers welcome!

Agenda

  • Announcements
  • Focus Group Updates
  • Questions/Blockers
  • Open Floor
    • Call for testers/visibility:
      • Refresh sidebarSidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. widgets: PR #1525.
      • PluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme update failure rollback feature: PR #2225.
    • Got a topic? Add in comments below, or bring it up live during the chat.

Leave a Comment

  • Do you have something to propose for the agenda?
  • Can’t make the meeting, but have a question for the Test Team?

If any of the above apply, please leave a comment below.

Props to @hellofromtonya and @boniu91 for peer review of this post.

#agenda, #build-test-tools

X-post: Test Team Update – 20 June 2022

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/updates: Test Team Update – 20 June 2022

FSE Program: Sign up for usability testing by June 24th

Building off of the high level feedback and in line with the goals around refinement and unification for 6.1, the outreach program is going to try something new and pair up members of the program with community designers. The aim is to directly learn what kind of refinement is needed by watching someone use the current experience. In the process, perhaps this effort can also engage folks in a new way who might not have been able to participate as much before!

Description

Designers will be paired with 1 or more folks, depending on their capacity and interest, from the outreach program based on ideal timezone matches. Once paired, they will then find time between June 20th and July 1st to record a 15 minute call on Zoom going through one of two tasks: Creating & applying a new headerHeader The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes.; using and customizing patterns. 

Designer & Participants: Sign up by June 24th, 2022

Before signing up, keep in mind that you will need to be available to help between June 27th to July 8th to record at least one 15 minute session:

For both parties, please ensure you are in #fse-outreach-experiment for updates, reminders, etc and generally checking Make Slack for coordination. 

Details for designers

After the sign up forms close, you’ll receive a slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. DM from @annezazu (that’s me) on or before June 27th with more information, including who you are paired with along with a one pager of all the details you’ll need. 

Next Steps

A recap of all of the videos will be shared on Make Test for posterity. 

Thank you to @critterverse for collaborating with me on this effort.

#fse-testing-call, #fse-usability-testing, #usability-testing

X-post: Call for Testing: WordPress for Android 20.1

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/mobile: Call for Testing: WordPress for Android 20.1

X-post: Test Team Update – 13 June 2022

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/updates: Test Team Update – 13 June 2022

X-post: Call for Testing: WordPress for iOS 20.1

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/mobile: Call for Testing: WordPress for iOS 20.1

Interim Test Team Rep for remainder of the current term

One candidate was nominated during the open nomination period and accepted their nomination. The new interim Test Team RepTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. for the current term is Brian Alexander ( @ironprogrammer ).

He will partner with Piotr Boniu (@boniu91), who became a Test Team Rep in 3 August 2021.

Meet Brian Alexander

Brian Alexander @ironprogrammer

Brian has a background that ranges from graphic design to full-stack development, digital marketing, and customer support. Since being introduced to WordPress in 2007, he has loved exploring the many ways the platform can be extended and used as a serious content management system.

Within the project, he is a full-time sponsored contributor, served as co-Test Lead for 6.0, and is the current interim Test Team Rep.

Brian lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife and daughter, and six egg-laying hens. He runs, cycles, plays the drums, and makes terrific homemade soap. And he never turns down a chance for a cup of good coffee.

You can read more about him on his profile page.

#team-reps

X-post: Test Team Update – 8 June 2022

X-post from +make.wordpress.org/updates: Test Team Update – 8 June 2022

Field Notes from WCEU 2022 Contributor Day

Olá! We’d like to express our gratitude to everyone who stopped by the Test Team (or CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.:Test) table at this year’s WCEU Contributor Day 🙇. Your ideas, perspectives, and open discussions help foster initiatives critical to testing WordPress. Thank you to everyone who participated!

Participants at the event covered the following topics (some of which were also referred to #core-test in Slack):

Test Report Templates

  • In the proposed Test Reports guidelines, clarify how the green checkmark (✅) and red “X” (❌) emoji should be used in reports: expected vs unexpected.
  • Break out the report templates into subpages under a main “Test Report” description in the Test Handbook to improve readability.
  • Proposal to provide ticket creation templates for TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. issue reporting, similar to Gutenberg Issues (e.g for Bugs vs Enhancements).
    • @todo Investigate whether Trac supports pre-populated template options, for initial post and/or comments.

Easier Test Contributions

  • Improve/update the Test Handbook guidance for creating a local WordPress environment.
  • The desire for ephemeral test environments (no local installLocal Install A local install of WordPress is a way to create a staging environment by installing a LAMP or LEMP stack on your local computer. needed) to test PRs and patches. Some ideas:
    • Create a Core-targeted version of gutenberg.run.
      • Would need to support both PRs and individual Trac patch attachments.
    • Utilize a service similar to that used for calypso.live.
  • Add Test Handbook guidance for applying patches from GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ or Trac, covering the various “best practice” methods.
  • Reiterate the importance of different environment flavors across the test contributor group (Docker/wp-env, VVV, Laravel Valet, Local, etc). There shouldn’t be a preference for “the best” or “one way” to run/test WordPress, since it should reflect the real-world variation across the WordPress community.
  • Assign a new week-in-test categoryCategory The 'category' taxonomy lets you group posts / content together that share a common bond. Categories are pre-defined and broad ranging. to Week in Test posts, for easier filtering of “where to start” in testing (currently grouped under the more generic summary category).

End-to-End (E2E) Testing

  • Questions as to where to begin E2E testing in WordPress:
  • It was noted that it’s common for E2E tests to fail intermittently, which can confuse and hamper development. This is often attributed to unexpected delays in DOM updates.
  • Consider that E2E testing can passively validate accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) (“a11yAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)”) as a beneficial byproduct.
  • Add E2E section to Week in Test to increase awareness of this aspect of WordPress testing.

Tuesday Meetings Time Change

  • It was suggested that Tuesday meetings for <test-chat> and <test-triage> be shifted from 17:00 to 16:00 UTC to allow broader participation from European contributors. Please share your vote or thoughts here.

Props to @boniu91 for peer review of this post.

#meeting-notes

Hallway Hangout: Discussion on Full Site Editing Issues/PRs/Designs (1 June)

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in!

Attendance:

@ndiego @annezazu @elmastudio and a Marcy joined us for a time.

Video Recording:

Topics

Briefly touched on two recent blog posts to be aware of:

What’s missing and what’s stopping people from switching to blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. themes

  • Responsiveness continues to come up with Ellen sharing how she built their own system to handle this for now, knowing that they can always switch over. She believes this is one of the main reasons people are holding back from switching to block themes.
  • We chatted briefly through intrinsic responsiveness ideas related to this and how that’ll ease much of these tensions in time.
  • Onboarding to the FSE experience was brought up, particularly around how confusing it is that the BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. label still exists since that seems to imply it’s not usable. There’s an open discussion around removing the beta label (in time) on this exact topic.
  • The question came up around “How do we get folks to use block themes if there’s a beta label?” and how difficult that can be.
  • @poena has a post on switching over to a block theme, Ellen is working on a post for a 10 step process, and there are clear areas that can be improved to ease this process from a technical point of view in CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (see “Ease switching to a block theme/between block themes” in this post).
  • People are very confused about when to switch in general though, even if folks like Ellen are building things that are ready to go for production sites.

Communicating the value of FSE

  • Nick has done some hardcore testing with folks who are new to the site editor and when watching them go into the experience and they change the typography of paragraphs but then can’t with headings! Why? We need to take a look at consistency across the tools we’re providing people. People get very frustrated and confused when one block has controls and another doesn’t. 
  • Block themes truly is a better experience for getting a design into WordPress but the confusion added is a bit sad for the project that it gets a rough reputation.
  • Right now, it feels like more of a communication issue to the end user around what they should actually do and what they can do with consistent communication. Figma does this well.
  • This has come up in DevRel for WP Engine. When you’re talking about the basics of how to do XYZ, this should be on Learn and in docs. When you’re talking about the cool, cutting edge stuff, we need more of that. “Here’s how to learn the basics of creating a block theme but here’s how to take it to the next level.” 
  • We discussed how if we can standardize block settings across all core blocks but allow agencies to turn on/off easily that’ll be huge for the user experience.

Patterns and opening up tooling

  • We spent some time chatting about issues for unifying the pattern modals and patterns as sections work since having consistency in the interfaces for patterns and in the larger editor can really help folks take advantage of what’s possible.
  • In many ways, it feels like users can rely on patterns and/or learn by doing over time as they explore more tools. As a result, exposing those tools doesn’t feel as risky as a pattern can guide the experience and, if they do want to dive in more, they can have access to the tools outright.
  • We discussed how valuable locking is when it comes to patterns as a way to curate and guide the experience more.
  • We went back and forth on the question of “How do we get people excited about what’s possible rather than worrying about folks breaking things?”

Difficulty with terminology

Naming of bock themes and the theme directory

  • We talked about how there have been different names for block themes, like “full site editing theme” or “block-based theme”. This is causing confusion and also differs from what shows up in the Theme Directory.
  • We discussed how difficult it is to find block themes in the directory since the tag you have to use is “full site editing” , which both isn’t intuitive and hard to find.
  • This led to questions around having a separate menu item for themes or improving the filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output..
  • Ellen shared how it’s unattractive to put free themes in the directory – “who clicks on FSE to filter?” Discoverability is so low – it’s not featured enough. She shared that they don’t put any effort into free themes. 
  • We all felt that the entire theme directory was due for an overhaul but were curious about what some quick solutions could be for now to make it more attractive and interesting to add block themes there.
  • Perhaps there could be a block label in the section below:
Image of the theme directory filtering showing the number of themes, a popular, latest, and feature filter label.

Limitations of the pattern directory

  • In talking about the theme directory, we discussed how neat it would be to find patterns associated with different themes, partially as a way to entice people to download that specific block theme and improve the user experience.
  • Ellen brought up how it’s not possible to add patterns to the pattern directory that use third party blocks. This sometimes prevents submissions for block themes who have specific blocks for their theme. 
  • We discussed how the pattern directory is overwhelming for users yet also limited: you can’t use named variables for color palette + can’t use third party blocks + no curation. 
  • The crux of the problem is t hat block themers are creating blocks to fill gaps with core right now which then limits what can be added to the pattern directory.
  • We discussed how there perhaps could be a filter to allow for third party blocks vs Core blocks. For those who want to venture into needing third party blocks, they could then opt in by filtering to show those.
  • @shaunandrews recently shared a post about pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party dependencies so some of that thought/design could likely be re-used there.
  • Nick shared how for the new feature in 6.0 where block themes can feature specific patterns from the directory, it’s still not granular enough. It would be nice to be ale to disable all patterns but then bring in a few from the directory to feature. There’s an issue open for this topic already!
  • We ended the call talking about how these dynamics often fragment the community  – people building premium themes or patterns rather than using the Core pathways. This then moves everything away from Core distribution channels and harms the community/branding/experience of WP.
  • Ellen described it as feeling like you’re building against something.
  • We ended the call talking about how important it is to share feedback, engage in discussions, and help influence the direction of where things go so we can get to where we need to.

#fse-hallway-hangout, #fse-outreach-experiment, #fse-outreach-program