Hallway Hangout: On 6.1, 6.2, and block themes (Nov 2nd)

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in!

Attendance:

Jeff Ong, Ellen Bauer, Nick Diego, and Edwin Cromley 

Video Recording:

Topics:

We covered a wide variety of topics: the outreach program’s future, updates for the 6.1 release, aspects of phase 2 to wrap up, the current experience of developing and maintaining blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. themes, and more.

What will happen to the outreach program now that 6.1 is out?

The outreach program is continuing as is! When it comes time to wind it down, it will be heavily communicated and, ideally, continued in some form or another. As with “gradual adoption” of FSE features, expect a more gradual phasing out.

Various updates around 6.1

We chatted through some of the key feedback coming in with 6.1 released last week. This was shared publicly in the release leads channel prior to the call.

Managing updates for block themes

The discussion around 6.1 feedback led to a conversation about managing updates for block themes. In particular, there were some layout changes that needed to be managed. Keeping up with these changes for each release can lead to a feeling of “Why did we build these themes already?!” when there’s so much to keep on top of with each release. It still is taking a lot of work with each release.

@bph the idea was brought up to have a compressed set of links to follow based on audience perhaps for the Developer blog, inspired by Rich Tabor’s twitter roundup. We discussed how there were also 2x the number of dev notes for this release compared to 5.9 and 6.0.

In general, there seems to be a cycle of finding a solution to work around current limitations > the gap getting filled in coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. > needing to update > cycle repeats. There are questions around when this process will get less intense.

Themeshaper

Questions around themeshaper came up with folks wanting to see more there and reminiscing on the kinds of posts that were shared previously as being quite illuminating. Speaking personally, I’m now trying to share more directly in Core when posting but it is an “outlet” that would be great to see revived.

Pixl theme discussion 

After Matt tweeted about the Pixl theme, this led to questions around: “Is this the direction we’re heading in? Is it meant to be super simple block theme? Am I overcomplicating it somehow?” We talked about how it was likely just a note about a cool, quirky theme and that ultimately block themes are for all cases (or will be in the future as functionality grows). The goal is to do everything, from very simple to very high level. Nick shared that he’s, “Taking a lot of block themes and throwing them away. I took what was available and took it to the next level, like custom classes or custom code, that block themes couldn’t do at that time. Now, I’m stripping it out and refreshing it with a much simpler architecture.” Ellen is doing the same and it’s a lot of work. From there, you have to consider propagating updates. While this is a big part of being an early adopter, it’s still worth noting and it becomes intimidating to step into eCommerce considering.

Stability for maintenance & stability for UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. of block themes

We talked about how there’s a split when talking about stability: stability of block themes in terms of less maintenance and stability of the UX for end users of block themes. We discussed how patterns are a big deal for UX in general and shared some examples of using starter patterns, with Nick sharing a great resource he wrote.

Latest Phase 2 Update

We went through the latest phase 2 overview issue update, talking at a high level about what’s to come and how work is progressing. This included a lot of discussion around the ability to save, import, and export variations. Feedback was given that style variations are often ignored for clients and that it would be more useful to be able to copy style variations/copying block styles. At the same time, being able to import/export your own branding via style variations would also be wildly helpful.

What about removing the beta label?

We ended by talking about the betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. label, how it’s likely slated for 6.2, how another update will need to be done to ensure the issue is up to date, and how the label itself might change away from just “editor”.

#fse-hallway-hangout

Hallway Hangout: Discussion on wrapping Phase 2 (26 Oct)

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in!

Attendance: Rich Tabor, Damon Cook, Courtney Roberston, Paal Joachim Romdahl, Jeff Ong, Nick Diego, Vagelis, Sé Reed, Piermario Orecchioni. 

Video Recording:

Topics:

The main topic centered around the work underway to wrap phase 2 gathered in this overview issue. Expect regular updates to this issue and know that other work will continue but there’s a big emphasis to complete the tasks outlined there. 

As of last week, the following was in place:  

  • Work has been completed (1)
  • Dev work is underway (9)
  • We’re in the design stage still (3).
  • Dev is assigned but hasn’t started (3).
  • Means work is stuck but there’s follow up to try to get unstuck (1).
  • Means work is stuck, either due to a problem or a time lapse of 14+ days, and unclear how to unblock (11).

From there, we dug into the following individual issues to chat through at a high level what we were seeing. At a high level, it stuck out to folks how many different explorations there are, conflicting designs at times, etc. By doing this work concurrently, these differences can be resolved and the solutions refined together. 

Introduce “Browser” and surface main navigation UI

We talked about how this was a change in the entrance to the site editor just as much as it was for navigating between content. There was a desire to be able to click on the site title in the nav component to take you to the front end of the site. We discussed the important of accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) testing for this change and it’s top of mind to test for the FSE Outreach Program. 

Global styles: Offer a way to view a document containing all blocks and styles

  • Overall, this would be a great way to get a sense of how changes impact the entirety of the site and in creating a more unified approach. 
  • When looking at this issue, various folks commented on how it feels like there’s a number of different modes and it isn’t always clear how they relate and don’t relate. Part of this is due to designs being in progress at various stages and including some work but not others. 
  • We chatted about how the IA needs to improve around right/left sidebars. Is there a best practice for when to put things in left vs right sidebarSidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. in the design library? Are we at a critical point in that convo right now? What about RTL when it comes to moving where things “live”? 

Make it possible to push local block styles to global block styles

  • This was noted as something that’s likely for more advanced folks but still very handy.
  • There are some tricky things to figure out since the styles pushed would have to be supported within GS.
  • It also requires a site to be built in a certain way to work since there’s some complexity around the specificity of global styles. 

Using the template editor for plugins

  • We talked about plugins using the template editor (example from Woo) and how the template editor doesn’t have access to global styles, leading to viewing Consider exposing the Styles UI for classic themes using theme.json.
  • We discussed what consolidation of the various editors might look like and how the current work seeks to make everything more unified, with the option to edit content in the site editor for example. 

Media library getting the “FSE treatment”

Feedback on the Quick Inserter prioritizing patterns in certain circumstances 

  • We discussed some pain points around when the quick inserter prioritizes patterns, especially the struggle to be able to add a blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.!
  • Talked about having it be a user preference to start with blocks vs patterns. 
  • There are generally two different mindsets when working with blocks vs patterns. 
  • Could the slash inserter work with patterns? There’s already an open issue here

Other topics and questions

Folks shared that responsiveness is still a big topic along with navigation block. Multiple people echoed both. Damon shared in the chat: “The Navigation block has SO much complexity, but tackling the challenges will likely surface many great ideas that can be rolled out to other blocks that have complete UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing./interaction”. Finally, we chatted at the end about the history of the Query LoopLoop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. block naming (why not loop?), where folks can report issues when 6.1 is out in the wild, and what’s next for the FSE Outreach Program.

#fse-hallway-hangout

Hallway Hangout: Discussion on Block Themes (25 Aug)

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in!

Attendance: Carolina Nymark, Daisy Olsen, Manuel Esposito, Rich Tabor, Herb Miller, Ellen Baeur, Ana Segota, Evan Mullins, Damon Cook, David Bowman, Jessica Lyschik, Ed Beck, Courtney Roberston, Amy L, Rita Best.

Video Recording:

Topics:

Apologies for the lack of timestamps – this conversation was vast and deep, making it hard to separate out into specific sections.

  • Pain points with blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. themes, including naming conventions for color palettes/mapping colors, managing updates to the theme, oddities with switching between style variations/losing styles, and keeping up with all the various changes to CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress..
  • Pain points from users including “how can I change fonts”, using the navigation block, and confusion around the split between the post editor vs site editor (ie have to go into the site editor to manage styles).
  • Theme switching and the UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. around picking/choosing parts of Styles from a theme, which ties into this prior exploration.
  • Discussion around “Who are our users?” and how there’s a spectrum of use cases to cover from those who want a ready made theme to those who want to dig into the details. How do you build for each or all?
  • Discussion around having a pattern library/pool as a way to speed up development for themes with a note around how there are so many ways to build smarter for block themes and how much more accessible it is for designers compared to classic themes.
  • Discussion around using Figma and design tokens to create a system for updating/working with theme.jsonJSON JSON, or JavaScript Object Notation, is a minimal, readable format for structuring data. It is used primarily to transmit data between a server and web application, as an alternative to XML.. The following links were shared: Figma Tokens & Style Dictionary (What’s used to transform the output for theme.json). This is currently being used by the VIP team at Automattic.
  • Discussion around custom blocks, when to build them, and why they are often times preferable due to the ability to completely manage updates rather than chasing after changes to Core. This led to a conversation around why themes aren’t able to require custom blocks (it breaks a users site when they switch away).
  • A follow up idea was shared after the hangout from Damon Cook to consider: “It would be super helpful to have a single Figma file with all blocks, colors, and properties that could go in a theme.json. It would undoubtedly be high maintenance and would have to be under active updates alongside new GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ features being merged into core, but it could also have a webpage equivalent to markup/output. A WordPress theme Style Guide: Figma file with the equivalent of block output on a site for users to copy/paste the code into their theme and see everything on a page… kinda deal.”

Overall, while there is both excitement and interest in what block themes unlock, it’s also clear that there are a build up of pain points to address, whether through clearer resources or changes to Gutenberg itself. These conversations are just one way to start surfacing these themes (get it) and to begin finding ways forward.

#fse-hallway-hangout

Hallway Hangout: Discussion on Full Site Editing visions and plans (30 June)

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in!

Attendance:

@elmastudio @fabiankaegy @annezazu Lisa Synder @beckej @oglekler

Video Recording:

Topics

We mainly talked through the following different posts that help show both the complex problems at hand and potential thoughts around how to approach solutions:

Throughout the conversation, we had mini dives into various topics, including talking about comparing patterns, template parts, and reusable blocks. We also discussed how there are various layers in which to approach this work from the end user level to the deeper technical considerations. The hope throughout it all is to make these more complex and detailed explorations more understandable and engaging.

#fse-hallway-hangout, #fse-outreach-program

Test Team Chat Agenda for 21 June 2022

Here is the agenda for the upcoming Test Team Chat scheduled for 21 June 2022 at 16:00 UTC, which is held in the #core-test Slack channel. Lurkers welcome!

Agenda

  • Announcements
  • Focus Group Updates
  • Questions/Blockers
  • Open Floor
    • Call for testers/visibility:
      • Refresh sidebarSidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. widgets: PR #1525.
      • PluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme update failure rollback feature: PR #2225.
    • Got a topic? Add in comments below, or bring it up live during the chat.

Leave a Comment

  • Do you have something to propose for the agenda?
  • Can’t make the meeting, but have a question for the Test Team?

If any of the above apply, please leave a comment below.

Props to @hellofromtonya and @boniu91 for peer review of this post.

#agenda, #build-test-tools

Field Notes from WCEU 2022 Contributor Day

Olá! We’d like to express our gratitude to everyone who stopped by the Test Team (or CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.:Test) table at this year’s WCEU Contributor Day 🙇. Your ideas, perspectives, and open discussions help foster initiatives critical to testing WordPress. Thank you to everyone who participated!

Participants at the event covered the following topics (some of which were also referred to #core-test in Slack):

Test Report Templates

  • In the proposed Test Reports guidelines, clarify how the green checkmark (✅) and red “X” (❌) emoji should be used in reports: expected vs unexpected.
  • Break out the report templates into subpages under a main “Test Report” description in the Test Handbook to improve readability.
  • Proposal to provide ticket creation templates for TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. issue reporting, similar to Gutenberg Issues (e.g for Bugs vs Enhancements).
    • @todo Investigate whether Trac supports pre-populated template options, for initial post and/or comments.

Easier Test Contributions

  • Improve/update the Test Handbook guidance for creating a local WordPress environment.
  • The desire for ephemeral test environments (no local installLocal Install A local install of WordPress is a way to create a staging environment by installing a LAMP or LEMP stack on your local computer. needed) to test PRs and patches. Some ideas:
    • Create a Core-targeted version of gutenberg.run.
      • Would need to support both PRs and individual Trac patch attachments.
    • Utilize a service similar to that used for calypso.live.
  • Add Test Handbook guidance for applying patches from GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ or Trac, covering the various “best practice” methods.
  • Reiterate the importance of different environment flavors across the test contributor group (Docker/wp-env, VVV, Laravel Valet, Local, etc). There shouldn’t be a preference for “the best” or “one way” to run/test WordPress, since it should reflect the real-world variation across the WordPress community.
  • Assign a new week-in-test categoryCategory The 'category' taxonomy lets you group posts / content together that share a common bond. Categories are pre-defined and broad ranging. to Week in Test posts, for easier filtering of “where to start” in testing (currently grouped under the more generic summary category).

End-to-End (E2E) Testing

  • Questions as to where to begin E2E testing in WordPress:
  • It was noted that it’s common for E2E tests to fail intermittently, which can confuse and hamper development. This is often attributed to unexpected delays in DOM updates.
  • Consider that E2E testing can passively validate accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) (“a11yAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)”) as a beneficial byproduct.
  • Add E2E section to Week in Test to increase awareness of this aspect of WordPress testing.

Tuesday Meetings Time Change

  • It was suggested that Tuesday meetings for <test-chat> and <test-triage> be shifted from 17:00 to 16:00 UTC to allow broader participation from European contributors. Please share your vote or thoughts here.

Props to @boniu91 for peer review of this post.

#meeting-notes

Test Team Rep: Call for Nominations for Remaining Current Term

Update: Nominations are now closed.

As announced in today’s team chat, I’ve stepped down as one of the Test Team Reps. As the next term’s elections aren’t until the end of July 2022 (i.e. new term starts 3 August 2022), the team agreed to do a nomination call to select a new team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. (to take my place) for the remainder of this current term.

What is a Team Rep?

tl;dr

  • They represent the team
  • Quantity: 1
  • Main tasks: administrative
  • Weekly time commitment: ~2 hours per week
  • Term: remainder of the current term, i.e. until 3 August 2022
  • Full details: read here
  • Who: see the qualifications below

A team reps is responsible for communicating on behalf of the team to the other contributor groups and teams via weekly updates and cross-team chats.

It is not called “team lead” for a reason. While the person elected as a team rep will generally come from the pool of folks that people think of as experienced leaders, remember that the team rep role is designed to change hands regularly.

Team Rep is a leadership role that is mostly administrative in nature; it is not a Lead role. Letting go of the Team Rep title is not a loss of status, just a handing off of responsibilities. Someone who is a leader in a team can lead whether they are doing the team rep job or not.

from Team Reps on Updates

What are the main tasks?

  • Posting a weekly update of the team’s activity in Updates
  • Raising any issues or red flags that other teams should be aware of or discussing
  • Keeping an eye on the moving parts of the team to be able to report for quarterly updates: team’s current top priority, most recent priority, challenges, and big win(s) (example)
  • Writing the agenda for the biweekly team chat (example)
  • Facilitating the team’s weekly meetings: e.g. test triage (example) and team chat (example)

What are the qualifications?

A rep is an active team member who is reliable and trusted, advocates for and is knowledgeable of one or more areas of testing, and wants to represent, nurture, and grow the team to serve the WordPress open sourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. project.

A rep must be committed to showing up each week and doing the weekly duties.

How Do I Nominate Someone?

tl;dr

Please nominate in the comments of this post. You can write a comment as simple as “I nominate @the_persons_username.” Self-nominations are welcome by leaving a comment such as “I nominate myself.”

The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, 31 May 2022, 15:00 UTC.

Each person who is nominated will be contacted to discuss qualifications and to accept or decline their nomination.

If you get nominated, please do not feel like you have to say “yes”! It’s okay for you to decline the nomination if you don’t feel like this is the right fit for any reason. “Thank you, but no thank you” 😉

How Will the Election Work?

An election will happen if there is more than one accepted nomination; else, the one accepted nomination will become the new rep. The election will be by an anonymous poll (example). The poll will remain open for 5 days.

Once the results are done, the new team rep will be announced in a post (example).

Call for Test Team Rep Nominations!

Ready? It’s time to nominate someone to serve for as our Test Team Rep for the remaining current term.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments. Happy nominating!

Props to @ironprogrammer and @boniu91 for peer review.

#team-reps

Test Team Chat Summary: 15 March 2022

The meeting started on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. here.

@hellofromtonya made a summary of last week in Test:

  • Team agreed to first prioritize getting the @covers reviewed and committed as quickly as possible
    • @costdev and Tonya planned to do a deep review of @pbearne‘s PR
    • Then 6.0 took priority last week as Colin joined the 6.0 Release Squad
  • @Puja‘s e2e test was committed
  • Test Handbook – Team agreed to plan out how transform the handbook into a tool that empowers contributors to quickly get started testing.
  • PHPUnit Test Suite Restructuring – Team agreed to plan out how to restructure

@Ugyen asked if there’ll be a 5.9.3 release before 6.0, @audrasjb confirmed 5.9.3 release in the upcoming weeks.

@pbearne refreshed the @covers PR

@hellofromtonya agreed to move forward with the batch approach to make a review and commit process easier for this big PR

@tykoted joined his first meeting

@hellofromtonya reminded about the need of having one or two people that would lead the Test Handbook project. Together with @boniu91 agreed that summary post will be a good place to promote this opportunity.

@justinahinon described that moving e2e tests to Playwright in GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ is going quite well. He’s also working together with @juhise on moving existing tests to Playwright

@hellofromtonya reminded why we are in the process of switching to the Playwright

@pbearne offered Tugboat as a tool that could help the Test Team, he’ll provide more details soon.

Test Team is looking for a volunteer or two as lead(s) to shepherd Test Handbook forward. If you’re interested in this role, please leave a meesage.

#meeting-notes

Test Team Chat Summary: 1 March 2022

The meeting started on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. here. With no agenda, the chat was open floor discussions.

6.0 Focus

@costdev asked: What projects or specific goals are targeted for 6.0? @hellofromtonya replied that 6.0 roadmap of the key features and refinements to be built for this major releaseMajor Release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality.. The Test Team will support that effort.

4 Proposed Initiatives

Team discussed other projects and goals not necessarily specific to 6.0:

  • Initiative 1: Audit and reorganize the testing suite – which includes @covers and #53010.
  • Initiative 2: Ensure all patches ready for commit have test.
  • Initiative 3: Grow the e2e test suites.
  • Initiative 4: Testing Handbook – needs a lot of work to empower anyone to quickly get testing.

@hellofromtonya shared a bigger picture framework / thinking for testing:

Tests express the intended and expected behavior of how the code should and shouldn’t behave under different conditions. When tests do this, they are a wonderful source for learning.

Testing itself fuels the feedback loopLoop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. back into the development process to know what does and doesn’t work as expected.

How?

  • Get more people involved in testing -> meaning the handbook, tooling, and code examples need to empower anyone to get testing.
  • Properly test both the expected (happy) and unexpected (unhappy) behavior in code at different levels > meaning tests need to be audited to ensure they are doing this and that the key areas have the tests needed to provide the feedback early enough.
  • Get the tests organized, readable, and usable.

The goals aren’t to build more tests. Rather, the goals are to build the tests that are needed to validate the code works as expected under different conditions to further help improve the user experience and get feedback fed back into the development cycles.

Where to start? What to prioritize?

Team discussed whether to start with planning the test suite reorganization or getting the @covers tags added / corrected.

The team decided to prioritize the @covers tags in order to ensure the code coverage reports are accurate to point to where more work is needed.

Team then discussed how to divide the auditing work to finish the @covers PR and get it merged.

Test Handbook

Restructuring the handbook raises the potential for more team members to work on the other initiatives. Since it feeds the numbers, confidence and accuracy of the team, it helps with everything else. Coverage reports won’t help increase the number of test team contributors, so I’m tempted to say that our first big drive should be to work on the handbook. If there’s things that need to be done in advance of handbook entries, such as establishing a new structure for the tests, that should be done in order to help 1) achieve the goal of restructuring and 2) provide information for the handbook entries.

by @costdev

Props to @boniu91 for proofreading.

#meeting-notes

Hallway Hangout: All Things Media

This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. All were welcome! The intent was to chat about whatever was on folks’ minds as 5.9 is around the corner. Thank you to all who joined.

Attendance: @fcoveram, @annezazu, @bobbingwide @pdclark, @beckej, @paulbigai, @ndiego, @piermario, @paaljoachim, @courane01

Video Recording:

Topics Covered:

  • We kicked off the call talking about a few specific issues and use cases, like copying/pasting an image into an image blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. and being prompted to name an image upon pasting. I couldn’t replicate an issue here after the call but am following up via DM.
  • We dug into rethinking the role of a featured imageFeatured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts. in a full site editing world, including looking at a few designs.
  • We chatted about the overall pain pointPain point Pain points are “places where you know from research or analytics that users are currently getting hung up and have to ask questions, or are likely to abandon the site or app.” — Design for Real Life and desire for better media management (folders, rename files, etc). With FSE, things that used to be locked away are increasingly getting easier to work with to the point that there’s a feeling of wanting to be able to do everything.
  • We chatted briefly about how Openverse could integrate with the pattern directory and how the media library might be able to integrate with media related patterns. Overall, it feels really high impact to have your own images or an image you’re looking to use baked into a pattern you want to use as well.
  • We talked about how switching themes causes featured image changes in terms of sizing/cropping, which can be a bit annoying to have to refine and an extra step when switching themes.
  • The topic of uploading an image to the photo directory from one’s media library came up as it involves a few steps from how to connect to a WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ profile to a potential way to see all your content in Openverse to how to connect multiple sites to the same profile and more.
  • @beckej was kind enough to share his screen to show off how he uses the Pressbooks pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party, which includes attributions in the media library. Since this is already a WordPress solution, it’s great to see how it’s being built and what it might look like. We talked about how perhaps it’s up to the author to choose from a few different style options depending on how they are using an image. Ideally, attributions can also match the theme style so that, upon adding an image, it immediately fits in.
  • We dove into what other tools do well (or poorly) that should be considered as part of WordPress’ media feature. This led to discussing how other services have paid connections (like squarespace) so don’t  have to worry about things like attributions, which inherently makes the job WordPress has a bit harder.
  • The topic of attributions led to talking about how can we make attributions “cool”/the norm? Similar trends have come up with offering captions on videos on social media, an increasing number of folks sharing “props to @xyz profile”, and more folks paying attention to alt text.
  • @paaljoachim shared a previous Google doc of a few screenshots from other services.
  • As the photo directory grows, the question of how we can improve adding alt text to images came up as right now the description field doesn’t nudge things along too much.
  • We discussed how we can do things like show how an image is displayed elsewhere as a way to recognize content creators. Some folks might also not want to use a heavily used image and might purposefully seek out less used ones to have more individuality on their site.
  • We talked through how important that very first moment of using Openverse will be in terms of ease of use and how the attribution flowFlow Flow is the path of screens and interactions taken to accomplish a task. It’s an experience vector. Flow is also a feeling. It’s being unselfconscious and in the zone. Flow is what happens when difficulties are removed and you are freed to pursue an activity without forming intentions. You just do it.
    Flow is the actual user experience, in many ways. If you like, you can think of flow as a really comprehensive set of user stories. When you think about user flow, you’re thinking about exactly how a user will perform the tasks allowed by your product.Flow and Context
    works. If it’s magical and does things like matching the theme styles, it could really help with adoption.
  • We ended the call agreeing that the ability to disable Openverse integration will also be important. This has come up with the pattern directory too and feels standard at this point to have this kind of opt in optionality.
  • At some point during the call, Ed also shared a great example of attributions on a site where, at the bottom, there’s a drawer that expands and shows all attributions there. It’s great to see specific examples and how they are being solved as this might influence how something like a gallery might work.

I love the idea of pulling the first image as the featured image if there is no featured image. My role is I work in SUNY, working with students, and that’s something they always forget to do.

@beckej in the comments of the call.

#fse-hallway-hangout, #fse-outreach-program