It’s time for the election of the 2024 Marketing Team Reps.
Here is the timeline:
- Wednesday, December 6: Nominations open
- Tuesday, December 19: Nominations close
- Wednesday, December 20: Voting begins
- Tuesday, January 9: Voting closes
- Wednesday, January 10: New Marketing Team Reps announced
- Wednesday, January 10 – Monday, January 15: Team Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. onboarding and transition
- Tuesday, January 16: 2024 Marketing Team Reps begin term
About Team Reps in WordPress
The Make WordPress contributor community is segmented into teams for each area of focus, such as Marketing or Training. Team representatives coordinate team efforts and administrative tasks and facilitate the team meetings and activities.
“Team Rep is a leadership role that is mostly administrative in nature; it is not a Lead role. Someone who is a leader in a team can lead whether they are doing the team rep job or not.”
Read more about WordPress Team Reps and the Team Rep role.
About the MakeWP Marketing Team Reps
The Make WordPress Marketing Team has three Team Reps. The Team Reps share team responsibilities and can divide responsibilities as needed.
Marketing Team Rep Responsibilities
Team Communications and Documentation
- Coordinate team activities and tasks with other Team Reps and Marketing team contributors
- Ensure Marketing team tasks, meetings, processes, and decisions are documented
- Ensure marketing work being done on the team and throughout the project is represented at team meetings and reflected on the team’s GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
- Communicate and collaborate on behalf of the Marketing team with other contributor teams and project leadership; openly share this process and information with the full Marketing team
- Ensure meetings, proposals, and decisions are documented on the Marketing team blog
- Maintain the Marketing blog, including managing posts and contributor input/comments
- Monitor the team’s GitHub for new, updated, or closed issues
- Provide quarterly or biannually Marketing team updates to make.wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org//updates
- Facilitate the planning and scheduling process for Marketing team meetings on GitHub
- Facilitate team meetings, with input and participation from other contributors
- Maintain the meeting schedules and meeting flow
- Facilitate “Coffee & Collaboration”, an audio/video based meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area., to work on Marketing team issues
- Maintain the team calendar and meetings postings on make.wordpress.org/meetings
Task and Team Management
- Assist with updates to the handbook as needed
- Facilitate contributor access to GitHub, Marketing documents, etc.
- Facilitate Marketing Tables at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Contributor Days, particularly flagship WordCamps
- Encourage contributors and help direct them to contribution opportunities
Current Team Reps
All 2023 Marketing Team Reps (@sereedmedia, @robinwpdeveloper, and @ngreennc) are eligible for another term. I (Sé Reed) will not be standing for another term at this time. As such, my fellow Team Reps have appointed me to manage the 2024 election process.
A New Approach with Ranked Choice Voting
We’re introducing ranked choice voting, ensuring a fair election process. The process will be run via the free service offered at RCV123.org, Here’s how it works:
- Voters provide an email to receive a verification code.
- Upon verification, voters are shown a list of all candidates.
- Voters rank candidates in order of preference.
- If no candidate has more than 50% of the first-choice votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated.
- Votes for the eliminated candidate are then redistributed to the remaining candidates based on the next preference on each voter’s list.
- This process repeats until a candidate has more than 50% of the votes, ensuring that the most preferred candidates are elected.
Note: The email address verification is to ensure valid voting. Vote records will not be connected to the email addresses provided.
Why Ranked Voting?
Ranked voting ensures that your preferences are accurately represented and reflective of our community’s diversity and our team’s intentions. Voting will remain open and public.
Nominate a contributor for 2024 Marketing Team Rep
Nominations will be accepted as comments on this post. You may nominate others and/or yourself. Please tag your nominee(s) with their WordPress.org username. Nominees may accept or decline to stand for the position.
Nominations will close at 23:59 UTC on Tuesday, December 19, 2023.
Thank you to @ngreennc, @oglekler, and @robinwpdeveloper for reviewing this post.