We’ve made lots of great progress over in Twenty Fourteen theme land.
This update is long because it’s my first one since we kicked off. Subsequent reports will be shorter.
In short, make it an awesome default theme.
1. Polish, “break”, and perfect the theme.
2. Add enhancements and new features.
3. Integrate with 3.8 plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party projects as we can.
Who we are
(These are WP.org usernames.)
- Leads: lancewillett, obenland, and iamtakashi
- Many patches have come in! Thanks to: cainm, celloexpressions, DrewAPicture, eherman24, Frank Klein, georgestephanis, iamtakashi, Jayjdk, jeherve, joedolson, Jonnyauk, kovshenin, Kuzmanov, MikeHansenMe, nofearinc, obenland, rickalee, sabreuse, and SergeyBiryukov.
- Many other contributors have joined the fun, including but not limited to: cfinke, chellycat, jazzs3quence, johnbillion, karmatosed, McGuive7, nacin, nhuja, paolal, RDall, rmccue, taupecat, trishasalas, and shaunandrews.
You can get still get involved in any of these activities:
- Putting up new tickets for bugs or enhancements (plus a patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. if you can).
- Review and test patches on existing tickets, add comments to the ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker..
- Join the 3.8 plugin projects like Featured Content.
- Help with theme breaking: IE, RTL, accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility).
Big things we’re working on now
So far we’ve seen 38 related tickets in Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. opened, closing 24 already. View all open tickets.
- (Possible) removal of Custom Header The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. Image support: #25094
- Accessibility review and fixes: #25054
- Adding a “Contributor” page: #24863
- Allowing color customization for “accents”: #25220
The removal of the header image, along with which customization options to allow and support, has been a very healthy discussion. See #25094 if you want to read along.
Big things we’ve already tackled
- Updating to use HTML5 markup from core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. for search, comment form, and comment list.
- Added missing archive templates.
- Many usability fixes.
- Lots of code cleanup.
- Added Editor Styles to enhance the visual editor.
- Sidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. improvements: widgetizing special Post Formats display, making right sidebar optional, and more.
One thing I wanted to highlight was removing the Social Links options from the theme. Instead inserting the search form and the search form toggle through filterable template tags, so that a plugin could hook in and add that feature back in. (Full chat log.)
Related plugin projects
Work continues on Featured Content and the Authors widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user.: #24856.
Office hours and Trac triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors.
We’ve had regular and very productive office hours on Tuesdays and Thursday at 17 UTC (In your time zone: 17:00 UTC). Thanks to everyone who’s joined us, your input is very valuable.
#3-8, #bundled-theme, #theme, #twentyfourteen
You must be logged in to post a comment.