Twenty Fourteen Project Update
Crunch time! We’re working hard to make sure everything’s ready for 3.8 release. We’ve listened to all your feedback, thank you—including lots from last week’s dev chat. We’ve made significant improvements in the last week.
- Many design changes to make the “first run” nicer and look better without featured images #25859 #25758
- UI for Featured Content moved completely into Customizer (tag, display, count) #25549
- Added contextual help and tips around the admin interface for setting up the Featured Content area #25837 #25869
- Performance tweaks for faster loading #25876 #25922
- IE, RTL, and i18n fixes #25036 #25625 #26071 #25144 #25625 #25888
Too late to get it into 3.8 dev? It’s fairly light and can merge right away.
Last week at 3.8 features-plugin meeting we forgot to suggest this; we’d worked on it as a plugin first, see #24856: “Authors widget to highlight authors.”
This is a new widget for any theme to use, but we’d planned to show it off with Twenty Fourteen because as a magazine theme it’ll feature and show off multiple authors.
On our radar
- Strategy for 3.7 and earlier non-MP6 handling #25906
- Accessibility feedback on the slider
- More work on contextual help and the user experience with Twenty Fourteen, maybe including user testing and research
- Launching the theme on WordPress.com to get early feedback from real usage
- Code review with core dev team