Agenda for the November 18th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, November 18th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

Please note the time, as daylight savings has changed the time in many countries, but the support team maintains a fixed UTC meeting time.

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

Support team representative nominations are over

In a landslide nomination, one participant ran off with every nomination, after checking in with them, they’ve indicated they are willing to take on the role.

The nominee is @sterndata, to be a good steward of everyones feelings, and since there’s no voting-rounds with only one nominee, we’ll instead just leave a 2 week period, through December 1st, where any concerns may be raised, feel free to message @clorith if that’s the case. If not, we’ll officiate things on December 2nd, and plan the handover period at that time.

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

Agenda for the November 11th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, November 11th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

Please note the time, as daylight savings has changed the time in many countries, but the support team maintains a fixed UTC meeting time.

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

Nominations for a new Support Team Representative

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

Agenda for October 28th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, October 28th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

A note-taker for the meeting is requested, taking notes is a great way to get more involved with contributing to a team, and getting to know how they operate, so don’t be shy, no prior experiences needed, and volunteering happens at the start of the meeting!

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

The final word for the planned day of working on Support Forum tickets

Nominations for a new Support Team Representative

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

Team representative nominations

The nomination timeline has been extended till November 11th to allow for more interested to put their name, or the name of someone they think would be a great fit.

As my 5th anniversary as team representative nears (we have not been good about the whole “changing frequently” aspect of team representatives, although we also haven’t had a demand for it either), it does appear that time is upon us, prompted by a reminder for all teams to do their rotations.

So that means we’ll be looking towards our new team representative, and who that might be, put your hat in the box (or something along those lines), if you’d like to be the new representative for the support team.

Nominations will remain open until November 11th 2021 (do not be bothered by timezones, if it isn’t November 11th in your timezone, you’ve still got time!)

It is not restricted to only those who are moderators, administrators, or use the global forums, representatives could be from any part of our community. It is beneficial if it’s someone with some experience within the support team, but we also have a lot of international sites with support volunteers to look to as well.

What is a team representative

A Team RepTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts.

WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ definition of a team representative

For the support team, this primarily means you’ll be attending meetings in relevant teams, for example the documentation team, for recurring issues that could be documented in HelpHub or DevHub, and in coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. dev-chats to cover recurring issues raised after new releases, or potential issues discovered by thew team prior to a release.

The team representative on the support team also holds a tie-breaker vote in cases where decisions are made, to help move things along.

You will also be posting the agendas for upcoming team meetings, and summary posts after the meetings to properly relay any information that may be important for everyone to know.

You will also be providing quarterly updates on the team progression for the whole project to get an idea of what is moving within the support team.

Please note that being a team representative does come with a time commitment, you can expect to spend at least 2-3 hours a week on various tasks, including holding the weekly team meetings.

Questions and nominations

If you have questions, or nominations for the roles, feel free to put either or, in the comments below, happy nominating y’all!

Adventure Time by Philter

Agenda for October 21st Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, October 21th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

A note-taker for the meeting is requested, taking notes is a great way to get more involved with contributing to a team, and getting to know how they operate, so don’t be shy, no prior experiences needed, and volunteering happens at the start of the meeting!

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

Read up on the suggestion for a join day of working on Support Forum tickets

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

Planning our shared component-push

During the weekly meeting a few weeks back, I was testing the waters in terms of around doing a joint session where we work out ticket patches together in an event where we jump on a voice/video chat, with a shared screen, and work on patches for the Support ForumSupport Forum WordPress Support Forums is a place to go for help and conversations around using WordPress. Also the place to go to report issues that are caused by errors with the WordPress code and implementations. component.

There appeared to be a bit of interest for this, and will require a bit of setup so that we can reliably work on the various tickets, but I have a vision for how this would work, and want to outline it here ,and gather feedback and opinions.

The setup

Using a shared platform, like for example Spatial Chat, Zoom, Hangouts… it doesn’t really matter which platform we use here, so long as it doesn’t end up having a paywall barring entry for anyone.

@clorith will be your facilitator, to make things easier, sharing his screen, with their own setup of the WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ support forums available for testing any changes made, or want to look into making. We then pair-program it (if you’re not programmer, no problem, I’ll happily write code if you help with the ideas!), so that we can end up pushing patches for the tickets we care the most about.

By having a ready setup, this saves everyone from needing to set things up locally for this one scenario, and patches can be shared like one would share them on tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/., allowing others work to be ported in and looked at as well, perhaps some tickets have patches that just need testing? Or there’s something visual to change, where just making the code isn’t always enough.

In preparation

Before the time of our session, it is useful if those wishing to participate have had a look at the available tickets, and identified which issues they would like us to tackle and solve. This comes with no guarantee that everything is solvable in one session, but if nothing else it should aim to unblock any issues that have been sitting around if they are too large to tackle in one session.

When will this be held?

That’s the difficult bit, scheduling time, never an easy task, and this relies heavily on participant availability, some initial thoughts for dates and times follow, but if none of these are possible for users, then please let the team know!

Which dates work the best, or are there other dates (or times) that work better based on your geographic location? Again; Please let us know so we can facilitate things to be available to those who wish to take part.

Update

Unfortunately, with the low turnout, and the amount of work required to do these sessions, we’ll be cancelling this proposal at this time, and will instead circle back to it at a point in the future. Thank you to those who showed an interest, and apologies for not being able to follow through at this time.

Agenda for September 30th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, September 30th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

A note-taker for the meeting is requested, taking notes is a great way to get more involved with contributing to a team, and getting to know how they operate, so don’t be shy, no prior experiences needed, and volunteering happens at the start of the meeting!

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

Should we have a shared component-push session?

The Support Forums meta-component is still rather large, would there be interest in a joint session to tackle tickets and create patches?

This would not be fashioned as a bug scrub, but instead a predetermined date, and timeframe (I’d love to set aside a day for this, but letting folks jump in and out as they please), include some kind of video chat (the video bit being optional) for discussing solutions, and making a day out of it. Pushing some progress in our own little world.

All of this with the understanding that not everyone is a developer, which is good, as many of the component tickets also cover things such as good text verbiage, but also because developers get caught up in stuff and needs help staying grounded.

Discussion and thoughts to be had during our weekly chat, or by feedback in comments, please.

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

Agenda for September 16th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, September 16th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

A note-taker for the meeting is requested, taking notes is a great way to get more involved with contributing to a team, and getting to know how they operate, so don’t be shy, no prior experiences needed, and volunteering happens at the start of the meeting!

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

The Documentation team has announced their new workflow for reporting documentation issues.

WordPress 5.8

WordPress 5.8 was released in the past few weeks, how are things going, have we identified any recurring issues that need to be considered, or are there topics we need to discuss relating to this release?

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.

X-post: [Announcement] New workflow for reporting documentation issues

X-comment from +make.wordpress.org/docs: Comment on [Announcement] New workflow for reporting documentation issues

Agenda for September 9th Support Meeting

The weekly support meeting will be held on Thursday, September 9th, 2021, 17:00 UTC in #forums on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. (a Slack account is required)

A note-taker for the meeting is requested, taking notes is a great way to get more involved with contributing to a team, and getting to know how they operate, so don’t be shy, no prior experiences needed, and volunteering happens at the start of the meeting!

Headlines / Community updates

This is where news that are relevant or good to know for the team from across the community are brought up and shared.

WordPress 5.8

WordPress 5.8 was released in the past few weeks, how are things going, have we identified any recurring issues that need to be considered, or are there topics we need to discuss relating to this release?

Checking in with international liaisons

This is the section where we reach out to the non-English speaking parts of our community, to see how they are doing, if there’s anything we can help each other with, or just interesting things going on that it would be nice to share with others.

There’s no requirements for previous participation or “fame” to share here, anyone is welcome, and we encourage newcomers to participate!

Unable to make the meeting, or maybe meetings just aren’t your thing? We would still love to hear how things are going in other non-English speaking parts of our community. Please feel free to let us know via the comment section below, in your own time, if there is anything you’d like to share, any questions or concerns you have, ort just to let us know you’re doing ok!

We will make a habit of putting this callout with every agenda post going forward, so that everyone has a chance to join in.

Open floor

This part of the meeting only happens if there is time, the team aims to cover the pre-planned topics first in any given meeting.

When open floor starts, any topic posted either as a comment to this agenda post will be looked at, or as many as there is time for. If there is still time left after this, then meeting attendees may step forward with questions, comments, remarks, anything relating to the support team that they’d like to handle.

It is also important to note that not everyone is comfortable posting things publicly, there is complete understanding of this, and users are welcome to contact the team representative (@clorith) via direct messages on Slack with whatever they wish the team to look at together.

For any other items to discuss, please add them to the comments below, or bring them up in the meeting.