Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 23 November 2020

Attendance

@estelaris, @chaion07, @bph, @harishanker, @tacitonic, @veralee, @justinahinon, @paaljoachim, @cguntur

Thanks to @estelaris for facilitating the meeting.

Housekeeping
Project Updates

@bph is planning to do a guided documentation sprint for the BEE-Docs starting this Wednesday through Friday (25 to 28 November). The extensive list of the changes in WordPress 5.6 that needs to be triaged and categorized, compared to the current pages and transformed into a contributor task list. Birgit will be online every morning 9 to noon EST. Please join her at your convenience during these times and contribute to BEE-Docs. Birgit will be posting an announcement p2 later on.

@justinahinon is collaborating with @paaljoachim for GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Developer Documentation in order to improve it. Justin hinted that there might be a bit more progress than the past weeks.

New Member Mentoring

6 new members joined #docs in the week between 16 and 23 November 2020. Thanks to @prubhtej for the information.

Meeting Times

Due to the general confusion with the time-zones a new Doodle was created by @kenshino. Everyone is requested to cast their votes.

Monthly Coffee Break

The November Coffee Break was hosted by @estelaris with 5 participants joining. @chaion07 will be posting a summary in a p2 later on.

Google Season of Docs 2020

@tacitonic is reported the following:

@estelaris mentioned that the classification project will start reviewing the blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. articles and coordinate with the BEE-docs team to figure out how to move forward.

The GSoD team would love to hear from the Docs team on the Do’s and Dont’s including comments related to the Style and Tone section.

Open Floor

@bph informed everyone that we need to enable discussion per page since the feedback section that’s now available on HelpHub. Users will be able to leave comments for the Admins and Moderators to be able to view them using wp-admin. Also in the works is a way to revise an article without taking the existing page offline or update unfinished. We will be able to work on revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. and then schedule making them public.

@paaljoachim asked if there been any talk about going through the structure of the handbooks and suggested that creating a flow chart of how docs are linked together can help improve on the user experience. @estelaris mentioned that there has been discussion on this in the past and advised everyone that any idea or a proposal on the topic is welcome. Paal will be bringing this topic next week since majority of the team is unavailable for this meeting.

#meeting-notes, #meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 09 November 2020

Attendance

@crs1138, @chaion07, @leogermani, @atachibana, @tacitonic, @stefanocassone, @justinahinon, @veralee, @crstauf, @kafleg, @harishanker, @FahimMurshed, @sukafia, @mehbubrashid, @estelaris, @kenshino

Thanks to @leogermani for facilitating the meeting.

Housekeeping
Project Updates

MigrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. from Codex to Code Reference: @stevenlinkx and @collinsmbaka continued migrating and re-routing Codex to Code Reference: HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. 124 of 355 (34.9% < – 30.4%). @atachibana edited each method of information of the class references. @dd32 added a redirect to every page. No change in pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook until the external linking and the obsolete docs gets resolved.

Meeting Times

Due to the general confusion with the time-zones on the current Doodle, @kenshino will create a new Doodle and @crs1138 will notify all contributors who already voted on the original Doodle about the need to vote again.

New Member Mentoring

There are 5 new members joining #docs in the week between 2 and 9 November 2020.

Monthly coffee break (November 2020)

@estelaris will run the next monthly coffee break which will be on the Thursday 19 November 2020. The time for the coffee break should be Asia friendly and will be specified later on.

Google Season of Docs 2020

@tacitonic is currently working on the Punctuation section and updates the progress in the README file on the daily bases.

@dmivelli has finished reviewing the discoverability project and submitted a long list of typos and grammar errors that @estelaris will be fixing this week. There are also many titles that must be changed.

Docs Handbook and facilitating collaboration

@leogermani and @themiked rewrote a couple of pages but there is still more work to be done. As an example @leogermani pointed out the Projects page that could reflect more precisely what’s going on in their team. They also worked on the Workflow page. @leogermani suggests an idea to add a “report an issue” button to the pages to make it easier for people who want to collaborate to find their way.

@estelaris confirmed that this kind of button will be part of the new design of the articles template.

@themiked will add a link to the Reporting an issue page to the bottom of every plugin handbook page.

Deprecated Links

@themiked wrote down a document regarding the deprecated links and is asking for some feedback.

#meeting-notes, #meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 16 November 2020

Attendance

@chaion07 @kenshino @tomford @collinsmbaka @leogermani @obt28 @tacitonic @mkaz @atachibana @FahimMurshed @Veralee @hellofromtonya @justinahinon @estelaris @themiked @paaljoachim

Housekeeping

Agenda: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/11/16/agenda-for-docs-team-meeting-november-16-2020
Notetaker: @justinahinon
Next Meeting: 23 November 2020
Find the meeting transcript here

Project updates

@atachibana gave an update of the migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. and re-routing of Codex to Code Reference:

HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.: 153 of 355 (43.1% < – 33.8%). They’re also editing each method information of class references.

@bph mentionned prior to the meeting they’ll post asynchronously a digital check-in for the documentation team.

@justinahinon posted a follow up of GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ developer documentation restructuring proposal.

Meeting times

@kenshino mentionned the Doodle for the documentation team meeting time. Please fill it if you haven’t yet.

New Member Mentoring

There were no update for this item.

Coffee Break November

The next coffee break will take place on the 19th of this month at 10am UTC. Here is the link if you want to add it to your calendar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83074914582?pwd=RlJkMkdnbzdKODZYbENzeUpXWGF2QT09.

If you want a Google Invite for the coffee break, you can also send a private message to @estelaris on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

You can also find all the details in this P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/11/16/docs-team-coffee-break-november-update.

Google Season of Docs 2020

@tacitonic made some updates about the progress on this project:

On the reclassification front, the team is still reviewing articles for content errors but have already finalized the title change. More details are in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Ea2yeF5Rfy_YDk7pBRJ4rdljhMjygXFqBq8gWwhbaE/edit?usp=sharing.

The team also discussed the big problems with titles which is the use of gerunds (words ending in ‘ing, as in working, reading, etc). This discussion can be found here.

Docs Handbook and facilitating collaboration

@themiked shared last week some updates on legacy docs which @kenshino is reviewing.

@paaljoachim asked if there have been any talks about refreshing the design. As using bigger fonts gives more space and better readability.

#meeting-notes, #meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 02 November 2020

Attendance

@chaion07 @atachibana @veralee @softservenet @harishanker @leogermani @kafleg @hellofromtonya @FahimMurshed @crstauf @kenshino @tacitonic @estelaris

Thanks to @chaion07 for facilitating the meeting.

Housekeeping
Project Updates

@bph posted an update asynchronous to the meeting.

  • The team will be working on the “Sprint for BEE-docs” during November 25 – 27, 2020. Details will follow. If interested, please leave a comment on the digital check-in post.

@atachibana informed about adding dropped information of Codex to code Reference and re-routing:

  • HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.: 108 of 355 (30.4% < – 25.4%)
  • He also spoke on editing method information of each class’ references.
  • He also thanked @stevenlinx and @collinsmbaka for their contribution. 

@milana_cap previously published a p2 post on HelpHub.

Meeting Times

The team is still awaiting responses to the Doodle link from everyone for the meeting time as many parts of the world have already begun adjusting to the Daylight Saving Times. Please cast your preferences using the Doodle link.

New Member Mentoring

@tacitonic informed the team that we didn’t have any new member joining #docs this week.

Monthly Coffee Break

7 people joined in the Monthly Coffee Break for October 2020 with an EU-friendly timing. A few snaps from the meeting were shared with the team. Thanks to @sukafia for facilitating it including @tacitonic, @crs1138, @chaion07, @thisisyeasin and others who joined.

The next Coffee Break will take place on the 26th of November (tentative). More info will be shared as we draw closer to the date. Please pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @sukafia or @chaion07 if you require further assistance.

Google Season of Docs

@tacitonic & @diana did not have anything new to add for this week.

@estelaris suggested that a meeting is scheduled for everyone involved in the GSoD project to take part in.

Open Floor

@joyously brought up this question, a few weeks ago: What to do with articles/pages that contain information that is no longer relevant or deprecated

@leogermani suggested adding a deprecation notice at the top of the page and link to relevant up to date content.

@themiked will write a p2 post covering different aspects of the topic discussed.

#meeting-notes, #meetings, #summary

Docs Team Meeting – 28 October 2020

Attendance

@crs1138, @bph, @kenshino, @estelaris, @chaion07, @cbringmann, @Daisy, @tacitonic, @atachibana, @sukafia, @justinahinon, @collinsmbaka, @themiked

House Keeping

Agenda: Agenda for Docs Team meeting 28 October 2020 

Facilitator: @estelaris

Note-takers: @crs1138

Notes Reviewed by: @chaion07

Facilitator for the next meeting: @chaion07 

Next meeting: 2 November 2020

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

Project Updates

  • @bph: 🐝-docs no project update, we will lose two pages Facebook & Instagram Embed. We will update them with the APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. Change this week.
  • @atachibana Migrating an re-routing Codex to Code reference Classes: 43 of 43 (100% < – 83.7%) HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.: 90 of 355 (25.4% < – 17.5%) by @stevenlinx, @collinsmbaka and @atachibana Note: Though we reached 100% migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. of classes, we need some improvements.
  • @themiked: PluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook is now fully blocked.

The team couldn’t discuss the following agenda items due to dependency on @milana_cap and others:

New Member Mentoring

@sukafia reported that:

  • 3 new people joined in the week 19-25th October 2020.
  • There’s plan for a meeting to brainstorm ways to move the team forward

Monthly Coffee Break Reminder (October 2020)

@sukafia invites everybody to the coffee break Topic: Docs team Coffee Break Time: Oct 29, 2020 11:00 UTC Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81733187709?pwd=WXBjbXZBdGhiSUpWMnJzK0JxRGV0dz09 Meeting ID: 817 3318 7709 Passcode: Docs

Google Season of Docs 2020

@tacitonic completed the Language and Grammar section and is currently working on the Punctuation section. @tacitonic updates his progress in the README file daily: https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress-Documentation-Style-Guide

@dmivelli provided a long list of suggestions.

Meeting Times

Discussion

Outdated Documentation

@estelaris and @kenshino suggested the following options to deal with outdated documentation pages:

  • Delete it and redirect the URLURL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org to a similar/relevant resource (via a 301)
  • Delete it and serve a 410 status (‘gone forever’), ideally coupled with a nice template explaining to the user that the thing is gone
  • Use a metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. robots tag / HTTPHTTP HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. headerHeader The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. to noindex it, if we think it’s still useful to users but want to keep it out of search engines.
  • @kenshino: Setup a legacy section and move docs there that are outdated for x versions but still relevant for a good percentage of our user base?

@themiked will sum up his thoughts on how to proceed in a post and ask the community for feedback.

#meeting-notes, #summary

Consolidated Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 12 October 2020

Unfortunately we didn’t see anyone volunteering to take notes for this meeting. Which is why I decided to publish this summary as a consolidated note for the convenience of all. I wish I was made aware of the situation earlier than this.

Ahmed Chaion

Attendance

@kartiks16, @atachibana, @softservenet, @kenshino, @fahimmurshed , @sukafia, @bizanimesh, @justinahinon, @tacitonic, @estelaris, @chaion07, @bph,

Find the Agenda of the Meeting here.

Thanks to @chaion07 for Facilitating the meeting.

House Keeping

Notetaker: We could use a few volunteers to take notes for our weekly meetings. If you want to help then please comment here or let us know during our meetings.

Facilitator for the next meeting: @softservenet

Next Meeting: 19 October 2020

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

Project Updates

@atachibana reported on the migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. and re-routing of Codex to Code:

  • 32 Classes out 43 have been completed which is an improvement of almost 7% leading to 74.4% from last week’s 67.4%, and
  • 62 HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. out of 355 have been completed which is an improvement of 3.1% leading to 17.5% from last week’s 14.4%.
  • @atachibana thanked @stevenlinx for the contribution.

@justinahinon provided update on the GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Developer Documentation:

@bph also provided an update beforehand on Digital check in for BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-Editor End User Documentation (BEE-docs). Birgit requested that the BEE-docs team members leave comments on that post. (asynch to the meeting)

Figure: Block Editor End User Documentation Team

She also informed that with the help of many contributors the team collectively passed the 50% milestone for pages catching up to 5.5

The team couldn’t discuss the following agenda items due to dependency on @milana_cap and others:

Q3 Update

@kenshino shared a link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18R79xWKOBp6Hosfs7Ao2kh-lFfhP3mR-4AbR4_BbeOo/edit# containing the Q3 Update Document for everyone to collaborate. He requested the members responsible for their team to add information respectively for a collective update. This collective information will be shared as ‘Team Updates’ that is posted in Updates Blog similar to the Quarterly Updates | Q2 2020

New Member Mentoring

@softservenet provided update as following:

  • The members of the team is focusing on taking turns to onboard new contributors to the #docs Team.
  • Anyone who has recently joined the team or still looking to find ways towards their first contribution should contact a member of the ‘New Member Mentoring Team’.
  • The Team is working on improving the process with task coordination for new members.

Monthly Coffee Break Reminder (October 2020)

@sukafia provided information on this agenda item:

  • The coffee break is taking place on the 29th of October, 12:00 UTC (with a EU-friendly time).
  • Please DM @sukafia or @chaion07 to get a calendar invite.

Meeting Times

There has been a broad discussion on the meeting time that may be suitable for majority of the team members. However it has proven to be very difficult with the DST (daylight saving time) practiced in different parts of the world. Reference to the discussion: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1602518383390100

Google Season of Docs 2020

Diana Mivelli provided update as following:

  • Been reviewing HelpHub articles and titles and recommending title updates.
  • Trying to make sure article titles adhere to sentence-case capitalization style (instead of title case) and suggesting titles away from gerunds.
  • Taking note of some overlapping content/duplicate content articles accordingly.
  • Discussing the ways to managing these suggestions as they come up with @estelaris.

@tacitonic provided update too:

  • About to finish the Language and Grammar section.
  • Updated the progress in the README file daily: https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress-Documentation-Style-Guide
  • The style guide markdown importing and parsing (from GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ to wp.org) is underway.
  • Extended the project duration from the standard length (3 months) to a long running project (5 months) upon I discussion with mentors, and found it appropriate to extend it owing to multiple factors.

Open Floor

@mkaz brought the discussion about ‘comments on Handbook‘. Reference to the discussion can be found here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1602519419426800

@bph shared a link to the ticket in reference to the topic discussion.

#meeting-notes, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: October 5, 2020

Facilitator of the meeting : @justinahinon

Attendance

@justinahinon @crstauf @chaion07 @ibdz @atachibana @bph @tacitonic @softservenet @sukafia @diana @cbringmann @estelaris @collinsmbaka @themiked @kulsumsiddique

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @kulsumsiddique

Notes Reviewed by: @collinsmbakaand @tacitonic

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @chaion07

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Project Updates

@atachibana: We are migrating and re-routing Codex to Code Reference, and processed:
HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.: 62 of 355 (17.5% < – 14.4%) by @stevenlinx and @collinsmbaka .
He also did some housekeeping of Classes references.

External Linking Policy

Update from @themiked, here are the points that will need to be addressed regarding external linking policy

  • list all the pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook external links
  • define safe 5-10 links
  • remove the rest
Docs videos

@zzap shared earlier today the progress on “How-To” videos with a new one that has been recorded. @milana_cap finally recorded and uploaded contributing “how to” video for setting up local HelpHub instance. She have also added all the commands and URLs below video for easy copy/paste.

New Member Mentor Training

The Docs new-member Mentorship Team invites six newest member in the team.

Monthly Coffee Break

@sukafia is planning for a coffee break on Thursday 29th October 2020 in the European time zone and the meeting will be scheduled at zoom.

Google Season of Docs 2020

@tacitonic has shared the following update;

Update from @dianamivelli;

  • I noted more recommendations for Help Hub topics to reflect new topic title format (action+object)
  • Reached out to @tacitonic on #docs team to find out the correct Help Hub topic title capitalization style (sentence case vs. title case) @tacitonic, thanks for the speedy response :blush:
  • Contacted @estelaris and @timohaver to verify next steps are inline with project plan.
  • Added weekly status section to GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repository to keep notes on weekly progress.
  • Added our project master doc to GitGit Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Git is easy to learn and has a tiny footprint with lightning fast performance. Most modern plugin and theme development is being done with this version control system. https://git-scm.com/. (still learning how to use Git effectively)
Open Floor

@estelaris suggested that Possessive should be WordPress’. All words ending in s will only have an ‘ at the end. @tacitonic and @dianamivelli agreed to it.

#docs, #meeting, #meeting-notes, #notes

Summary for Docs Team Meeting on 21 September 2020

Attendance

@justinahinon, @dianamivelli, @estelaris, @kartiks16, @tacitonic, @chaion07, @atachibana, @sukafia, @bobbingwide, @kulsumsiddique, @mkaz.

Thanks to @estelaris for Facilitating the Meeting.

Notetaker & Facilitator Selection

Notetaker: We could use a few volunteers to take notes for our weekly meetings. If you want to help then please comment here or let us know during our meetings.

Facilitator for the next meeting: @chaion07

Next Meeting: 28 September 2020

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

Project Updates

@milana_cap updated badges page with a new document and a process for tracking contributions. (asynch to the meeting)

@atachibana reported on the migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. and re-routing of Codex to Code:

  • 29 Classes out 43 have been completed which is an improvement of 7.4% leading to 67.4% from last week’s 60.5%, and
  • 51 HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. out of 355 have been completed which is an improvement of 2.6% leading to 14.4% from last week’s 11.8%.
  • @atachibana thanked @stevenlinx for the contribution.
  • He also did some housekeeping on Codex this week and welcomed suggestions from everyone.

@bph also provided an update beforehand on Digital check in for BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-Editor End User Documentation (BEE-docs). Birgit requested that the BEE-docs team members leave comments on that post. (async to the meeting)

Docs Videos

@milana_cap fully recorded a contributing video and forgot to silent nearby devices and as a result there were a lot of background noises in the recording. Eventually had to delete it and she’ll attempt to re-record it. (async to the meeting)

External Linking Policy

@milana_cap reported prior to the meeting that the team started with the Plugin Developer Handbook for the discussion on External Linking Policy. @themiked outlined two phases. Please let Milana know if help is needed with this. We want to make the entire process transparent and publish on our blog. It’ll also help with defining the workflow for the other parts of #docs.

@themiked also reported that the goal is to compile a list of all the links on all the pages in the pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party guide and start with that, hopefully deleting them all and then adding back the ones on the approved domain list (asynch to the meeting).

New Member Mentoring Team

Due to everyone’s commitments, the Mentoring Team isn’t being able to properly focus on the Mentoring process for the past few weeks. The team is looking for new people to join over Making WordPress #docs team.

Please contact @sukafia, @softservenet, @tacitonic or @Prubhtej_9 with your ideas, suggestions and comments (if any).

Monthly Coffee Break Reminder (September 2020)

@sukafia provided the team with the schedule for the Monthly Coffee Break for September 2020.

Please pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @sukafia or @chaion07 if you require further assistance.

Google Season of Docs

@tacitonic reported:

  • Working Repository has been transferred to the WordPress organization on GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/.
  • Almost done with the first section. You can read more about it here: https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress-Documentation-Style-Guide/tree/master/docs/2-document-guidelines (Overall status: one week ahead of schedule).
  • Waiting for a confirmation from the #docs team for a suitable location for the Style Guide on WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ for a request that was made on the 15th of September

@dianamivelli reported:

  • Been reading HelpHub topics, making sure the titles are applicable, and suggesting new titles for some.
  • Raised the topic of identifying a consistent title style such as action+object for the title, when possible.
  • Further discussion is being done on a private Slack channel consisting folks from the #docs team that @estelaris had opened.

@estelaris added:

  • The Slack group includes both Technical Writers and all four mentors to discuss any topic that relates to both projects, as we will coincide in certain points and it is good to agree on the best approaches.
  • The big topic discussed this week was ‘Article Titles’. Removing Gerunds and adding an action+object title.
  • Also discussed the use of one-word titles.

The Technical Writers will be following the Handbook Grammar Guide as always. Thanks to @atachibana for sharing the link.

Open Floor

@bobbingwide asked if WordPress documentation could be kept up to date with the latest release? @estelaris answered that it would be really nice and the team is working hard to reach that goal. But since we had to migrate the articles from one site to another, we are taking the time to also update those articles. Another team is working on a new design for the pages. The Google Season of Docs Team is working on a new writing style guide and a new classification to implement a new navigation to documentation. There is also the Release Team who is working on adding documentation on the new releases. Not to mention the typos, broken links, small updates, etc that need constant upkeep.  With too many moving parts the team is working very hard and will reach our goal of having up-to-date, easy to find documentation soon.

@bobbingwide further asked, How committed is the Release Team to delivering the documentation for the new release concurrently with the new release? @joyously advised this question to be addressed in the Dev Chat and the editor in particular should be documented before being incorporated into coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress..

@bobbingwide also asked on the point of view of the docs team? @estelaris replied saying that the Release Team is very committed particularly to work on that and documentation needs to be ready before the public release.@mkaz added by saying there shouldn’t be a #docs team, that function should be a part of every feature development and those features shouldn’t be merged/released without documentation. @estelaris also shared the link to the 2020 WordPress Release Squad and another link to the WordPress 5.6 Release Planning @makz added by saying that it should be more integrated into the development of the features- if something doesn’t get merged without documentation, then you wouldn’t need a documentation squad for the release, by default it would be there.@justinahinon added async to the meeting by saying that one of the roles of the Release Documentation Team is to ensure that new things that come in the release receive proper documentation. So approximately 90% (estimation), new stuff in a release are documented by the date of the release. @estelaris invited @bobbingwide to attend the Dev Chats in the #core channel on Wednesdays at 8 PM UTC. @themiked added by saying that this may not be a priority for the Dev Team as there should be a docs representative for every release.

@tomjn asked if there is a document for how to contribute to docs that has all the things? @estelaris shared a link to the Docs Handbook. @mkaz also shared a link to the Block Editor Handbook. @jouisly suggested that the Handbook should be easier to discover.

@milana_cap suggested that we should make a list of the musicians in our team. She also shared her list and requested others who can play an instrument or into music to comment in this post.

#meeting-notes, #meetings

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: August 17, 2020

Attendance

@wpza @tacitonic @sumand @timohaver @milana_cap @b-07 @kulsumsiddique @atachibana @tomf @prubhtej_9 @sukafia @kafleg @kenshino @bizanimesh @bph @tomjn @farhadul Islam @collinsmbaka @ibdz @chalon07 @crstauf @leslie @justinahinon @cguntur @themlked @estelaris @cbringmann

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @kulsumsiddique

Notes Reviewed by: @collinsmbaka and @tacitonic

Facilitator: @tacitonic

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @chaion07

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Project Updates

@atachibana: Joined Class & Hook migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. & rerouting project lead by @leogermani. Classes: 8 of 43 (14.0% <- 4.7%) & HooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.: 17 of 355 (4.8% <- 4.5%)

@bph:

Update on docs

  • we are making headway in updating pages to 5.5
  • had a short trelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. training todoy in our meeting, and answered a few questions
  • Haven’t consolidated all spreadsheets yet, will do so this week
  • Tried to get PRs from the GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ githubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repository labeled “UserDocumentation” into the #meta-helphub channel so we can be aware and add them to our trello cards

@justinahinon: Posted the proposal on the team p2 last week for a new better structured Gutenberg developer documentation.

External Linking Policy

@milana_cap saw new comments in the doc but didn’t have any time to answer and include them in the proposal. @kenshino suggested having a zoom call on this. @milana_cap has a concern for hosting the videos for review, @estelaris suggested hosting in G drive

New Member Mentor Training

@tacitonic said that 8 People have joined #docs in the past week and a total of 11 people have joined #docs in the month of August. There were limited response the past week from new members after @tacitonic reached out to them personally.

Monthly Coffee Break

@sukafia have scheduled the next Coffee Break on Aug 27, 2020 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC.

Zoom Link : https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81398073676?pwd=aWE1NmZ1NUxhV2hmWDhRMXZTNnRqZz09

Google Season of Docs 2020

Two people got selected @tacitonic and @diana Mivelli. Two mentors will get allocated at the following projects

  • Improve Article Discoverability in WordPress HelpHub Documentation
  • A Full and Renewed Set of Documentation Style Guide

@timohaver and @diana Mivelli will work on Article Discoverability. @estelaris thinks that both the projects will get merged at some point. As a style guide @estelaris will contribute to article discoverability, so we should be able to all work together in both projects

Open Floor

@tomf raised a query regarding WordCamps are not funding any kind of multi-day events (even digital ones) and no longer funding any swag too.

@wpza proposed to remove the WordPress branding + using your own Dashboard styles. Which is when you go to Users > Edit (single user) > Select a theme, a chance for WP devs to upload their own theme for toolbar colours, branding, etc.

Please feel welcome to suggest revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. in the comments.


#docs, #meeting, #meeting-notes, #notes

Docs team meeting summary for August 3, 2020

Attendance

@tacitonic @sukafia @justinahinon @estelaris @zzap @crstauf @kulsumsiddique @atachibana @thisisyeasin @timohaver @khushbu1983 @lvg2013 @collinsmbaka @wpza @themiked @joyously @casiepa

Meeting agenda: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/08/03/agenda-for-docs-team-meeting-august-3-2020

Meeting transcript on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1596466811112700

Meeting facilitator: @tacitonic

Notetaker: @justinahinon

Facilitator for the next meeting: @timohaver

Project updates

@atachibana made an update about the re-routing of Codex to Code Reference. 1054 of 1070 Function pages have already been completed. Also, @stevenlinx and @collinsmbaka are working on complexed cases with opened tickets. After it is released, WordPress 5.5 will merge the fixes on documents into the Code Reference.

@tacitonic mentionned that There is no update for the BEEDocs team for this week. This will be discussed in another meeting next monday.

@estelaris shared the progress on the categorization project and if is it chosen or not for Season of Docs. She proposed to include asif2bd’s pillar content proposals as part of the categorization proposal. The reason for that is the content can be included as part as categorization. Also, the marketing team is still giving some feedback on the related p2 post. This could help in having some guidelines in the naming for pillars and categories.

@themiked shared the current Plugins Handbook status. The pages organization proposed can be found here. He also expressed the interest to have a glossary that automatically finds and links terms that should be defined in the handbook.

External Linking Policy

@milana_cap mentionned that the team has now a new approach, that can be found in this document. Everyone is welcomed to add comments and feedbacks. This will be discussed again during the next meeting.

Milana is also requesting a correction in the latest Month of WordPress post as the docs team has not banned the use of commercial links in the documentation articles. This is a discussion that is still happening.

New Member Mentoring

@sukafia shared the new members in Docs team stats. For the month of July, 37 new members joined the #docs channel on Slack. These members were reached out to by the mentorship team. Only one member has already joined the channel for the month of August.

All members are welcomed to contact includes @sukafia, @tacitonic, @tomf and @prubhtej to learn more about the Doc team.

Monthly Coffee Break (August 2020)

@sukafia linked to some nice pics from the last monthly coffee break. You can find them here and here. Many members also mentionned how useful this coffee break was; allowing to learn about people with which we are contributing.

The next Monthly Coffee Break will take place at the end of August, hopefully in Asia friendly time. The team is also open to rotating the time to make it favourable to people in different time zone to attend.

Google Season of Docs 2020

@timohaver said that all the Season of Docs proposals were scored by the mentors last week. The top three proposals have been submitted to Google.

Open Floor

@joyously asked if all the references to Codex URLs have already changed to the new format. She is wondering about links external to the Codex that point to it, because there were a bunch in code and are not elsewhere on wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/.

#meeting-notes