Agenda for Docs Team Bi-Weekly Meeting 27 September 2022

The next meeting is scheduled with the following details:

When: Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 04:00 PM GMT+2

Where: #docs channel on Slack

Agenda:

  • Attendance
  • Note-taker & Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  • Projects checks
  • Do we add FAQs to HelpHub or not? See issue #426 (This requires @milana_cap and @femkreations to make a decision.)
  • Open floor

If there’s anything you’d like to discuss on the open floor, please leave the comment below.

#agenda, #meeting-agenda, #meetings

Summary of Docs Team Meeting September 13, 2022

Housekeeping

Attendance: @estelaris @ninianepress @femkreations @robinwpdeveloper @leonnugraha @colorful-tones @samanthaxmunoz @chaion07 @javiercasares
Where: #docs channel on Slack. Find the complete transcript of the meeting on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Agenda: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2022/09/12/agenda-for-docs-team-bi-weekly-meeting-13-september-2022/
Meeting Facilitator: @estelaris
Note Taker: @ninianepress
Next Meeting Facilitator (in two weeks): @ninianepress
Next Note Taker (in two weeks): TBD
Next Triage Meeting Facilitator (next week): @milana_cap

Project Updates

WCUS Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.

@femkreations shared contributor day successes at WCUS which was on September 11, 2022:

WCNL Contributor Day

Yoast hosted a WCNL contributor’s day on September 14, 2022 at 10 AM – 4:30 PM UTC +2. It was available to join in-person, or online.

Open Floor

Issue When Editing Docs

@samanthaxmunoz pointed out that there’s an issue when you edit documentation pages in the back end:

  • Many pages are displaying the error message: “This blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. contains unexpected or invalifd content.”
  • The error is also displayed for pages that have recently been updated.
  • If you continue seeing this issue, please open a ticket in Meta.

There was also an issue brought up by @emmaht:

  • Some documentation has the block name italicized, while others don’t. (Post Author Block vs Post Author Block)
  • There doesn’t appear to be an answer in the Documentation Style Guide.

Answers are awaiting upon @femkreations’s return.

Reclassification Project

@estelaris let new contributors know that part of the redesign of end-user documentation (HelpHub) is removing any articles that are for developers and/or to remove any developer jargon that is in the articles. These such articles are being reclassified into categories that make more sense and migrating others to DevHub or developer documentation.

@javiercasares spoke about successes with the Advanced Administration Handbook over WCUS Contributor’s Day online over the past weeked:

  • @javiercasares opened 38 tickets, and 20 pages were formatted.
  • Content is being copied in HTMLHTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. from the HelpHub index, then created in markdown, and redirected to the Advanced Admin Handbook.

@javiercasares noted that the process for this is as follows:

  1. Create the structure. (empty files)
  2. Copy the original content into the new files, (using markdown) while changing the least amount as possible.
  3. Check all the pages for links, and old content, and try to renew it.
  4. Launch the new Handbook.

Noting that old pages in HelpHub will be redirected to the new ones in the Advanced Admin Handbook.

#meetings, #summary

Agenda for docs team bi-weekly meeting 13 September 2022

Our next Team meeting is scheduled with the following details:

When: Tuesday, 13 September, 2022 at 04:00 PM GMT+2

Where: #docs channel on Slack.

Meeting Agenda

  • Attendance
  • Note-taker & Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  • Project Updates
  • Do we add FAQs to HelpHub or not? See issue #426
  • Open Floor

#agenda#meeting-agenda#meetings

Documentation team meeting postponed to WCUS Contributor Day

The next Documentation team meeting was supposed to happen on Tuesday, September 6th. This same week is the first post-Covid in-person WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US happening. Some folks will be traveling or busy otherwise so it’s been decided to cancel the regular meeting and move any team related discussion to WordCamp US Contributor Day instead.

Date: Sunday, 11th September, 2022

Time: 5PM10PM UTC

Place: #docs SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel

If you have any questions or topics you’d like to discuss during WCUS Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. but can’t attend feel free to post it in the comments below.

You are also welcome to join us in Slack during Contributor Day and just contribute, we don’t have to discuss anything.

Summary of Docs Team Biweekly Meeting August 30, 2022

Housekeeping

Attendance @milana_cap, @estelaris, @lucp, @femkreations, @chaion07, @greenshady, @leonnugraha, @robinwpdeveloper, @colorful-tones and @samanthaxmunoz (async).
Where: #docs channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. Find the complete transcript of the meeting on Slack.
Agenda: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2022/08/30/agenda-for-docs-team-bi-weekly-meeting-30-august-2022/
Meeting Facilitator: @chaion07
Note Taker: @lucp
Next Meeting Facilitator (in two weeks): @estelaris

Triage next week:

Project Updates

Reclassification

@estelaris posted an update about the reclassification project. The team is still working on the sitemap.
The metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team was asked for the latest sitemap for documentation (as it was 2 weeks ago when @estelaris received it). And when the two sitemaps got compared there was a discrepancy of about 20 articles. So @estelaris has been going over them one by one. The total now stands at 300+ articles.

There’ll be tickets for any article that requires content review as well as a list of articles that should be moved to Devhub entirely.

WordPress version docs

@femkreations shares updates on the docs for new WordPress versions:

  • The 5.9 Project board is officially closed.
  • Work on the 6.0 project is in progress: 3 new pages added, 7 pages updated
    Doing content review and updating pages in the HelpHub based on @estelarisfeedback: Pages have been rewritten with new content and screenshots.
  • Prep for 6.1 is ongoing: Adding “User Documentation” label for the closed PRs in GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/. Completed for 13.1 and 13.2.

@leonnugraha and @wigno will be working on these issues this week, further documenting the new blocks in 6.0:
https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues/237
https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues/226
https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues/225

Advanced Admin

The advanced admin handbook is in the works. It’ll be a collaboration between the #docs and #hosting teams. @javiercasares created a very extensive sitemap for the new handbook, which can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fVIw3DztzyVY18RDPCGk-kDYTO6gzHtx81o7aitGijo/edit

There’ll be a discussion during both the WordCamp US and the WordCamp the Netherlands contributor days about this handbook and how to make this as concrete as possible.

WCUS contributors day facilitator

@milana_cap, @femkreations, @bph and @welcher will all be there. They’ll share the role of facilitator.

@estelaris will add tags to issues that are good things to tackle during a contributor day: good first bugs, things that are easy to spot and get to. Many of them first need to be reviewed.

There’s also the i18n and escape errors in codex and user generated examples that can be tended to.

Open floor

Nothing on the open floor this meeting.

Agenda for docs team bi-weekly meeting 30 August 2022

Our next Team meeting is scheduled with the following details:

When: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 04:00 PM GMT+2

Where: #docs channel on Slack.

Meeting Agenda

  • Attendance
  • Note-taker & Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  • Project Updates
  • WCUS contributors day facilitator
  • Open Floor

#agenda#meeting-agenda#meetings

Summary of Docs Team Biweekly Meeting August 16, 2022

Housekeeping

Attendance: @milana_cap, @chaion07, @javiercasares, @ashiquzzaman, @atachibana, @femkreations, @greenshady, @piermario, @brightemeka, @krupalpanchal, @emmaht. Asynchronous updates from @lucp and @estelaris.
Where: #docs channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. Find the complete transcript of the meeting on Slack.
Agenda: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2022/08/16/agenda-for-docs-team-meeting-16-august-2022/
Meeting Facilitator: @chaion07
Note Taker: @webcommsat. Review: @milana_cap and @femkreations
Next Meeting Facilitator (in two weeks): @brightemeka
Next Note Taker (in two weeks): @greenshady
Next Triage Meeting Facilitator (next week): @milana_cap

Project Updates

Documentation Issue Tracker Updates

@milana_cap shared: there have been a lot of updates for Team roles tickets. This is hoped to be completed by end of next week: GitHub ticket #385

WordPress 6.1 release

WordPress 6.1 release has started, docs focus folks working in triage and collecting tickets for documentation.

Useful links for documentation

Anyone who wants to join in or learn how a release is documented, can contact @milana_cap in the documentation release team. She will pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” contributors once there is work available. Currently, everything is being prepared. A checklist is being created. An additional volunteers tracker for WordPress 6.1 release docs contributors has been set up too.

The post from the first meeting of the WordPress 6.1 release docs team: @bph, @milana_cap, @femkreations, @webcommsat, @mburridge. YouTube video from the meeting.

Project boards updates

@femkreations shared an update from the projects boards:

Reclassification project

@estelaris: no new updates

Other updates

@emmaht: we are working on (waiting to be reviewed)

The following items should be finished next week

@femkreations: highlighted contributions from @wigno and @leonnugraha who have been doing a great job with the 6.0 blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor documentation. Thanks for their contributions.

@themiked: fixed a few minor issues, found a problem with the GitHub importer and logged it.

Collaborations between docs and hosting team

@javiercasares: last week Milana was on the #hosting-community channel explaining this new project / handbook / documentation about separating some of the most technical documentation from the Hubs.

There is a new label in the Issue Tracker ‘advanced administration’.

Initial check of the tickets, first idea on categorization can be found in this Google doc. This is a first “structure” with all the links and everything I found on those tickets. As this is a first idea, it will probably change a lot.

Thanks to @JavierCasares for structuring the new handbook.

First pull request for the Advanced Administration Handbook

#1 Create a first possible File Structure – a first level possible structure, with the “big categories”. This may change as we start creating and updating content, but this is a place to start.

Second pull request (technical one, for the #meta team)

#2 First Manifest file – a first manifest file, created manually because we will need to have the WP-CLIWP-CLI WP-CLI is the Command Line Interface for WordPress, used to do administrative and development tasks in a programmatic way. The project page is http://wp-cli.org/ https://make.wordpress.org/cli/ software configured… but we will have that when MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. creates it.

Those files will help us start creating new content and migrating the actual one. Then sync everything with the site automatically (so every time we do a merge, the content will be updated). These are first ideas, help and suggestions welcome.

@lcup sent an update to the meeting:
– added articles to move from HelpHub to DevHub docs for the new advanced administration handbook in: Documentation Issue Tracker, ticket 388 in GitHub. Thanks to @estelaris and @femkreationsfor doing all of the look-up work on this.

@milana_cap shared context: parts of “too technical” docs from HelpHub will end up in this new handbook. 

Open Floor

Updates on the Five for the Future program and proposed improvements – post from July 28, 2022.

@shetheliving shared async: wanted some additional views on Documentation Issue Tracker issue on Tidy up suggested object caching plugins #410, for @tillkruess and the Performance team.

#meetings, #summary

Kick-off WordPress 6.1 release docs

Thank you for participating in the kick-off meeting for the WordPress 6.1 release documentation team: @milana_cap, @femkreations, @mburridge, @bph (facilitator and notetaker). @webcommsat participated asynchronously and added input from the video. 

The meeting was recorded and is available on YouTube.

Updated August 11: refined the instructions to match the GitHub Tracking issue for BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor PRs.

TL;DR: Follow the progress

Links to relevant information.

Next Steps and process for 6.1

Triage Phase

DevNotes and Developer Documentation

  • Add ‘Needs Dev Note’ label to tickets in milestones, and GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party releases
  • Trac tickets ‘needs-dev-note’
  • 🙋‍♀️ Triage TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets – Milana
  • GitHub (Gutenberg) needs dev note
  • 🙋‍♀️ Triage Gutenberg plugin PRs – Birgit

End User Documentation

  • Add '[Type] User Documentation' or needs user-doc labels to Trac tickets and Gutenberg PRs and all will be tracked via the 6.1 Project for both (trac + GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/)
  • GitHub Gutenberg [Type] User Documentation
  • 🙋‍♀️ Add labels to PRs on Gutenberg – Femy
  • 🙋‍♀️ Trac Tickets to be labeled with needs-user-docs: Milana

Tracking

  • Add ‘needs dev note’ / ‘needs dev docs’ tickets to the project – Milana
  • Create issues for pages once the scope of user-facing features tracked with [Type] User Documentation is determined – Femy
  • Track Gutenberg needs dev note via the Tracking issue on GitHub and connect with developers regarding delivery – Birgit
  • Reach out to the Component Maintainers for the “But Wait there is more” tickets – Birgit. Abha, if extra hands needed

Delivery and Collecting the Dev Notes Tasks

After BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1, it will be pretty clear which patch and PR will make it into the WordPress 6.1 release. It would help tremendously if dev notes are drafted between Beta 1 and Beta 2 (for 6.1, this will be between September 20 and 27, 2022). This will help the reviewers have more time to give it a fuller review.

Stand-along Post

If a dev note requires a separate post, the process is slightly different between dev notes concerning the Gutenberg project and developers who provided a patch on trac.
The instructions for dev notes on Editor features are listed in the GitHub Tracking Issue for DevNotes

For developers who provided commits via trac also draft the dev note on Make Blog, and once drafted, the developer should add a message to the docs channel, with the public preview link to let the team know it’s ready for review.

For small dev notes for a combined post

If only a small dev note is required, it will be published with other notes in a combined post (Miscellaneous Block Editor, or Miscellaneous Theme, Miscellaneous Caching). The developer assigned will add the dev notes as a comment to the particular PR or the Trac ticket.
Trac tickets also are then labeled with has dev note.
For the GitHub PRs the developer should post a comment on the GitHub tracking issue
The release documentation team will review and collect those for the Miscellaneous blog posts.

Tasks for release documentation team:

  • provide author privileges to developers who write dev notes
  • collect the small notes from the PRs and organize them on Miscellaneous Dev Note posts
  • collect snippets from the Component Maintainers’ responses
  • compile the Field Guide
  • assist in triaging, prioritizing and recruit writers for End User Documentation

How to get involved? 

End User Documentation updates

With new features coming to WordPress, the majority of help is needed in triaging, scoping and executing changes to the end user documentation for the block editor. Femy Praseeth @femkreations, a documentation team project rep and one of the co-leads of the 6.1 release documentation team, is the contact point if you can help with one of the areas listed below.

  • Triaging: join in on labeling user-facing Gutenberg PRs for End-User Documentation
  • Issue Gardening: once all issues are reviewed, create issues in Documentation Issue Tracker repo for End-User Documentation, adding information from the PRs to the description
  • Writing: add and edit identified pages of  End User documentation 
  • Taking screenshots (Training video)

Abha will support Femy in triaging, prioritizing and recruiting writers for End User Documentation.

Write and review 6.1 Dev Notes

In the next few weeks, Abha will co-ordinate additional steps to help those writing dev notes, including information on adding excerpts, a summary paragraph at the top of the post, the coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. style guide, and avoiding using ‘here’ for links which are difficult for accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), etc.

Developers of release features which will be relevant for other developers will write the dev notes or the relevant section to include into a collection of dev notes. If you are assigned a dev note, drafting it on the Make blog between Beta 1 and Beta 2 would be great. Please do not publish the dev note until it has been through its review stages. It will be published by the Release Documentation Team and the GitHub entry updated.

Each dev note requires two people to review, plus final review by the documentation release team. If you like to review other people’s writing, reviewing dev notes could be for you! 

Find out more

As the team is just starting to get all the pieces in place, they might not have all the answers yet.

Please don’t hesitate to comment below or send a message via the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. #docs channel and pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” either @femkreations, @milana_cap or @bph.

Props for reviewing the post: @webcommsat, @milana_cap, @femkreations, @audrasjb

#6-1, #dev-note, #meetings, #summary

Summary of Docs Team Biweekly Meeting August 2, 2022

Housekeeping

Project Checks

Documentation Issue Tracker Updates

  • @leonnugraha is almost finished with #315 and #270
  • @lucp is still working on #375
  • @milana_cap
    • created two GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ workflows: 1. automated adding issue to the project based on applied labels; 2. automated comment on the issue, mentioning project reps based on applied labels
    • moved docs handbook project to new ones to make above automation possible: https://github.com/orgs/WordPress/projects/43/views/1
    • continue working on team roles docs: https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues/385
  • @colorful-tones is adding lots of feedback to the Patterns doc for the Theme Developer Handbook #342
  • @femkreations
    • 19 items  in the 5.9 issues have been closed (all of them have been updated now for 6.0 as well)
    • 2 new pages were created and updated for 6.0. 12 pages are a work in progress currently
    • the 5.9 issues project board and merging it into the 6.0 soon. New contributors please refer to the 6.0 issue board for BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor docs

Inventory of technical Parts from End-User docs

@estelaris is updating the Inventory of technical Parts from End-User docs, adding other articles to be reviewed and edited after the second site map revision.

Helphub redesign/reclassification project

@estelaris reported that the last revision of the site map has taken longer than expected and will write a post after the second revision is done. These items are still in the works:

  • Update the template with the developers block
  • Add a link to features and requirements (under the About menu item)
  • Finish updating the tickets for articles to rename, move to DevHub and delete
  • Update the categories/subcategories in HelpHub (per metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. instructions) but not changing categories to any article yet

Updates on the Five for the Future program and proposed improvements

The idea is to track better and more contributions, especially those that are not code. As of last week, there are new items already showing in contributors profiles.

For docs team, it mean that opening/closing/being assigned to an issue in the Issue tracker repo is going to be displayed on your profile. Still we will have to track some things manually, like facilitating meetings in the #props Slack channel. For contributions done in GitHub see issue #178.

Open Floor

@audrasjb asked if anyone is also curating DevHub user contributed notes and he will write a draft on his process to facilitate other contributions.

@lucp raised his hand as team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. for the advanced administration handbook and he will take over the Inventory of technical Parts from End-User docs.

#meetings, #summary

Agenda for docs team bi-weekly meeting 2 August 2022

The next meeting is scheduled with the following details:

When: Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022, 04:00 PM GMT+2

Where: #docs channel on Slack

Agenda

  1. Attendance
  2. Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  3. Projects checks
  4. Updates on the Five for the Future program and proposed improvements
  5. Open floor

If there’s anything you’d like to discuss on the open floor, please leave the comment below.

#agenda#meeting-agenda

#agenda, #meetings