Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 8 June 2020

Attendance

@atachibana @bph @chaion07 @cguntur @collinsmbaka @estelaris @Femy @ibdz @kmeze @MakeWebBetter @manthanadmane @marcio-zebedeu @mkaz @Prubhtej @rbest @Ruchit @Sunday @tacitonic @timohaver @tomf
(20 people attending) 

Agenda

For reference, you may view the meeting agenda post for 6-8-20.

Note-taker: @timohaver

Notes Reviewed by: @collinsmbaka

Facilitator: @chaion07

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @collinsmbaka

Follow the docs team meeting on the WordPress.org Slack workspace by joining the # docs channel.

Project Updates

@atachibana expressed thanks to all WCEU contributors, reporting more progress for the re-routing of Codex to Code Reference for Functions: now 987 of 1070 (92.2%) complete. 

@bph extended a welcome to all new contributors to blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor end-user documentation. Following a strong response from WCEU Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., she is still catching up to reviewing new work. Half the work on the new contributor list has been published. The team also added more editors to make updates and correct errors. Going forward, she is transitioning team communication to the #meta-helphub channel.

@mkaz is seeking feedback for a draft version of the Create a Block tutorial in the GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ developer documentation.

Categorization Project, Alterations Workflow, User Stories

@estelaris will write a P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post on current journey mapping on documentation. 

New Member Mentor Training

@Sunday plans to resume new contributor sessions next week, after a two week pause due to WCEU. @tomf reports that the mentoring team has been noting all the new docs team arrivals and has plans to reach out.

WCEU Contributor Day Wrap Up

This will come from @zzap who was not available for this week’s meeting. 

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@chaion07 asked everyone to participate in @Sunday‘s Doodle (online poll) to help determine the best prospective meeting times. @tomf suggested that perhaps the meeting time should alternate monthly, if there isn’t a time that is practical for everyone.

Open Floor 

Based on recent reporting about Instagram, @bph raised a copyright concern relating to the use of embed blocks. She asked for feedback for adding a general disclaimer to embed blocks’ documentation.


Please feel welcome to suggest meeting notes revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. in the comments.

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 1 June 2020

Attendance

@makewebbetter @atachibana @milana_cap @chaion07 @bph @ibdz @collinsmbaka @estelaris @timohaver @kenshino @prubhtej @tacitonic @leslie @kartiks16 @newyorkerlaura @sukafia @WPZA @ataurr @manthanadmane @thisisyeasin @audrasjb @mkaz @chetansatasiya @sovstack @tomf @kulsumsiddique @themiked @leogermani @sasiddiqui

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @collinsmbaka

Notes Reviewed by @makewebbetter

Facilitator: @makewebbetter

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @chaion07

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Project Updates

@bph reported that completed tasks from contributors will be published this week. She also urged the contributors to switch over to the experience contributors worksheet and look at the tasks there. She also reported that for contributors day, there will be +/- 16 new contributor tasks and 15 experienced tasks for the blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor end-user documentation.

@themiked reported that pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook conversion and editing continues.

@sukafia reported 61 new members joined for the month.

WCEU Online Contributors Day

@milana_cap shared a list of facilitators for Contributors Day

  • @leogermani  for DevHub (developer docs)
  • @Sukafia  for onboarding and everything regarding new contributors
  • @bph for block editor end user docs
  • @atachibana for HelpHub (general end-user docs) as long as his time zone allows (Japan)

She also shared the schedule for Contributors Day

Schedule

New Member Mentor Training

@sukafia reported that Office hour was held on 28 May 2020 for new contributors and members interested in being part of contributors day. Also that 61 new members joined for May and 75 for April and March.

He also reported that they have engaged (Messaged) everyone that joined during the month of May.

External Linking Policy

@milana_cap reported that a decision has been made, and external links from trusted sources will be allowed. She also mentioned that work needs to be done on logistics and criteria of what is a trusted source.

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@sukafia shared a doodle link for everyone to vote on the date and time they find convenient for the monthly coffee breaks, encouraging more members to vote.

User Feedback: Poll on Meeting Time & Day for Docs Team

@makewebbetter mentioned as regards the poll, the majority of the responses are yes. So the meeting time will remain the same.

Open floor

@sukafia mentioned that if you’re new to the team and don’t know where to get started. The mentorship team (@sukafia, @tacitonic, @prubhtej, @tomf, @netpassprodsr) are always available to guide. @makewebbetter also mentioned that he is also available for help over slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

Please feel free to suggest any changes to the meeting notes by mentioning in comments!

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 25 May 2020

Attendance

@makewebbetter @atachibana @milana_cap @chaion07 @bph @ibdz @collinsmbaka @nobnob @estelaris @crstauf @timohaver @immeet94 @kenshino @prubhtej @tacitonic @leslie @kartiks16 @pratikchauhan @cristianozanca @kulsumsiddique @newyorkerlaura @sukafia

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @collinsmbaka

Notes Reviewed by: @makewebbetter

Facilitated by: @chaion07

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @makewebbetter

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Projects Updates

@atachibana reported that the re-routing of the Codex page to Code Reference functions, 959 out of 1064 (89.7%) have been completed and the remaining functions are associated with tickets or comments and are awaiting approval.

He thanked @collinsmbaka and @stevenlinx for their contributions.

@bph reported that they have 7 contributors working on BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor end-user documentation, @makewebbetter @tacitonic @cguntur have submitted pages awaiting review.

While @dschargel @leslie @jackF @newyorkerlaura are working on the blocks they claimed.

WCEU Online Contributors Day

@milana_cap emphasized that all team reps should create lists with easy and not so easy actionable tasks for WCEU Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.. @bph reported that she is working on a list of not so easy actionable tasks this week.

New Member Mentor Training

@sukafia reported that they will be taking advantage of WCEU Contributors Day to help onboard new members. He also announced that there will be office hours on Thursday 28th May at 15:00 – 16:00 UTC and encouraged all new members to join in so they can get the necessary guidance. 

@sukafia also called for new volunteers for the mentorship team, as they will be needing extra hands.

External Linking Policy

@milana_cap reported that they have decided to make a whitelist of allowed external resources and that a decision on what would be considered trusted and how to deal with existing links (and try to avoid removing them manually) is not yet made.

@milana_cap mentioned that applying the whitelist should be automated. She also mentioned that she will create a p2 post for everyone to share their opinions and questions as comments.

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@sukafia shared a doodle link for everyone to vote on the date and time they find convenient for the monthly coffee breaks.

Open floor

@kenshino suggested that there should be a check to see if the current meeting time is the best meeting time for the most number of people.

After deliberations and suggestions from team members, @kenshino concluded that it is best to ask if the current meeting time is convenient for most people and that someone should write a p2 post asking “If the current time is convenient or not” @chaion07 volunteered to work on that.

@kenshino also mentioned that many mentors including himself are receiving lots of messages from Technical Writers and that it will be more beneficial if all queries being answered in one place. So for this, he requested that please all Technical Writers should put all queries either on Season of Docs: Technical Writer Exploration or here in #docs

Please feel free to suggest any changes to the meeting notes by mentioning in comments!

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 18 May 2020

Attendance

@makewebbetter @atachibana @mkaz @marcio-zebedeu @annezazu @milana_cap @chaion07 @bph @ibdz @collinsmbaka @nobnob @estelaris @crstauf @timohaver @immeet94  @sasiddiqui @themiked @kenshino @miss_jwo @milana_cap @shajiaabidi @shubhampalriwala @prubhtej @cbringmann @tacitonic @leslie @kartiks16 @jackF @pratikchauhan @mukesh27

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @collinsmbaka

Notes Reviewed by: @makewebbetter and @chaion07

Facilitator: @estelaris

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @chaion07

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Project Updates

@atachibana reported that the re-routing of the Codex page to Code Reference functions, 949 out of 1064 (which is roughly 88.8%) have been completed. He thanked @collinsmbaka and @stevenlinx for their contributions.

@bph is collaborating with @cguntur and @tacitonic to onboard new contributors and testing instructions.

Season of Docs Update

@estelaris shared the link to Technical writer guide | Season of Docs and urged anyone interested in participating in GSoD to fill out.

@cbringmann emphasized that they had a fair amount of interest from technical writers. They also added questions as comments to the technical writer post and are requesting a response from the docs team to complete their proposal.

Other questions from technical writers [ @shubhampalriwala, @prubhtej, @tacitonic ] present during the meeting which were diligently answered by @cbringmann.

@kenshino suggested that a mid-step should be done internally. He had raised a few projects for people who didn’t have time to write, but the registered mentors could be reshuffled to choose the right project for them

@kenshino suggested that we should create a post to work this out.

@estelaris shared the link to Season of Docs Project List Idea – Make WordPress Documentation for anybody with questions on Season of Docs to read.

External links discussion and distributions

@estelaris emphasized that we need to decide whether we allow or not, external linking in WordPress documentation. She provided External Linking in Docs Policy – Make WordPress Documentation for everyone to go through.

@kenshino read through them and emphasized his general thoughts are, I quote ”in line with our general ethos of the WP project, I’d like to see us being more permissive than restrictive’’ he then suggested a few principles to guide this process as 

  • Our focus should still be on enhancing the official docs / making it complete. So it would make sense for us to encourage people to substantiate our docs with their content first.
  • If somehow that is not possible or if the external content is useful but not suitable as official information, it’s fine to add external links.
  • It should be easy for good resources to be listed: We can have trusted sources by default – I’m happy for us to just build that list as we go along.
  • It should be easy for bad resources to be removed – even if you were once trusted.
  • Curation is essential – but it does not have to be a day job.

@estelaris emphasized that we need a workflow to avoid curation becoming a day job. @kenshino replied that he hasn’t gotten that far, but agrees that we do need some sort of workflow. @milana_cap once again volunteered to work on it.

Tasks for WCEU online contributors’ day

@milana_cap emphasized that she’d like to use this post for all the WCEU contributors’ day info. And she received some information from @mkaz for Good First Issue Gutenberg

@milana_cap also urged those who plan to attend Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. or have a question or idea should comment on that post.

@ester had provided a link for clarification of timezone of the event referring to the question of @mkaz and @milana_cap.

@milana_cap requested the Official reps of Docs Team to make lists of specific tasks and send, so she can add them to the post.

@milana_cap also provided examples of actionable tasks below,

  • Actionable task: Review these function reference pages: link, link, link, link.. and make sure escaping and internationalization are correct and in place.

@milana_cap also reminds us that anyone who wants to attend WCEU needs to register. @estelaris replied with the registration link https://2020.europe.wordcamp.org/tickets/ 

@estelaris added that they will open new tickets for contributor day, but you need to be registered for the WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. too.

Please feel free to suggest any changes to the meeting notes by mentioning in comments !

#summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 11 May 2020

Attendance

@makewebbetter @atachibana @mkaz @marcio-zebedeu @annezazu @milana_cap @chaion07 @bph @ibdz @collinsmbaka @kartiks16 @nobnob @mukesh27 @felipeloureirosantos  @wizzard_ @fahimmurshed  @ataurr @netpassprodsr @estelaris @crstauf @timohaver @immeet94 @softservenet @kulsumsiddique @thisisyeasin @sukafia @sasiddiqui @leogermani @themiked @kenshino @rabbirshad199621

Agenda

You can find the Agenda here.

Notetaker: @makewebbetter & @thisisyeasin

Notes Reviewed by: @chaion07

Facilitator: @chaion07

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @estelaris

Follow the meeting on the Slack channel for Docs

Project Updates

@leogermani provided updates async to the meeting:

  • Common APIs – migrate HTTPHTTP HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. from plugins Handbook
  • Migrate hooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.
  • Organize workflows within the Handbook

@atachibana reported that for re-routing of the Codex page to Code Reference for functions, 908 out of 1064 (84.9%) have been completed. He thanked @collinsmbaka and @stevenlinx for the jump from 67.4% recorded last week.

@themiked reported the migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. to single blocks continues in the pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook and he identified a few things that don’t belong to the handbook. He also identified terminology disparities that he is tracking and trying to unify for example “metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress.-data” vs “metadata”.

@bph added a few more categories under “BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor” to the articles. Both @bph and @estelaris are collaborating with each other to complete the review process. However @estelaris believes there might not be further update for reclassification until WCEU 2020 which happens in 3 weeks.

WCEU Online Contributors Day

@milana_cap emphasized on “Getting started at a Contributor Day page to be completed by this week and asked for suggestions from new contributors as well as others. She further added by referring to the Polyglots Team where they had used cool tools in their templates such as Translation Statistics tool, Translation Consistency tool etc. @leogermani & @wizzard_ volunteered to help. (Ref)

@milana_cap also proposed for scheduling a meeting between 25 May & 3 June using SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. for new contributors. She further added by saying that this meeting could be a great opportunity for @sukafia’s mentorship program. @estelaris pointed out that the first meeting should also be for the on-boarding of the new contributors and it is important that everyone has their own Slack account and access to Making WordPress work space. Following the first meeting there should be a second meeting on the WCEU 2020 contributors day after the opening remarks but using video. @estelaris also reminded us that the deadline for video submission for the individual “Making WordPress” teams is Thursday and it would be better if a Team RepTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. created the video. Update async to the meeting: @milana_cap had already prepared a video and shared with the team for feedback.

Update async to the meeting: @leogermani edited the page and made a comment on p2: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/05/09/docs-team-preparation-for-wceu-2020-contributor-day/

@milana_cap thought that it would be good to include all the tools we are using which can be found in Workflow -> Reporting an Issue page.

Creating a task list for WCEU 2020

@milana_cap emphasized on creating task lists for both beginners and advance contributors and requested everyone to define what they want to do during the day for the project. Additionally, she will create a new P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post which would include instructions with links. Here is the action plan:

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@chaion07 reported that the docs team had their first Virtual Coffee Break with several people attending. The participants spoke about how they are coping with the quarantine and isolation and what we are doing to keep ourselves busy, @sukafia had facilitated the last Coffee Break. The coffee break would take place monthly over Zoom. @sukafia will create another doodle for everyone to participate for the scheduling and accordingly be notified through the Slack channel.

New members Mentor training

@sukafia has reached out to new members and reported that some of them would start contributing within the week. He also recommended @lvg2013 that she wants to contribute to the block editor for docs. The plan for new contributors is that they’ll contribute using Google docs and once reviewed, they’ll be given guidance for their contribution to prosper ahead.

Open Floor

@milana_cap proposed that we should officially decide on  External Linking in Docs Policy but @kenshino suggested that he will make a decision by next week after reviewing all the comments. @themiked also posed the following points async to the meeting on external linking with the following questions.

  • Who has the authority to add a link to a page?
  • Who has the authority to remove a link?
  • If I (me personally) write an article on my own site and then link to it, is that seen as a conflict?
  • Will we police the links to ensure they are still valid?
  • Will we police the links to ensure the content has not changed, such as by the result of a domain transfer?

@makewebbetter inquired why are we not writing excerptExcerpt An excerpt is the description of the blog post or page that will by default show on the blog archive page, in search results (SERPs), and on social media. With an SEO plugin, the excerpt may also be in that plugin’s metabox. in all articles listed inside categories such as advanced-topics and when we called excerpt in the code template of this archive page we used to call excerpt but as the excerpt field left blank so first para content will automatically be fetched.

Transcript

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1589209219221400

Please feel free to suggest any changes to the meeting notes by mentioning in comments !

@makewebbetter

#summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 4 May 2020

Attendance

@milana_cap @chaion07 @makewebbetter @estelaris @crstauf @sukafia @adamsilverstein @nobnob @ibdz @johnbillion @atachibana @bph @cbringmann @themiked @sasiddiqui @audrasjb @mukesh27 @kartiks16 @collinsmbaka @immeet94 @mkaz

Agenda

source

  1. Attendance
  2. Note-taker & Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  3. Project Updates
  4. Categorization Project, Alterations Workflow, User Stories
  5. Handbook Revamp
  6. Season of Docs
  7. New Member Mentor Training
  8. Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions
  9. WCEU Online Contributors Day
  10. Open Floor

Notetaker: @makewebbetter
Notes Reviewed by: @chaion07
Facilitator: @milana_cap

Facilitator for Next Meeting: @chaion07
Follow the meeting on the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel

Project Updates

@bph reported on the following: (Ref)

  • Last month was all about blocks with a “Sprint” where I contributed 6 days in a row, updated 3 pages and created 4 more.
  • Secondly, collaborated with @Pascal on the list of updated pages for the #Polyglots team to include changelog. Moreover, converted reusable blocks to regular blocks for the same team.
  • Next sprint: Wednesday through Friday.

@atachibana reported on the Re-routing of the Codex page to Code Reference for Functions with 721 out of 1064completed which is approximately 67.4%. He was happy with the improvement and considered this as a big jump from 54.5% compared to last week . He also expressed his thanks to @stevenlinx and @collinsmbaka. (Ref)

HelpHub development: @milana_cap informed Table styles patch is up, wonderful @sergey pinged, we’ll have fix soon https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5033

PluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party Handbook: @themiked reported plugin handbook not ready this week, although PR to fix the wpdb docs pulled from source have been merged into the next releaseRelease A release is the distribution of the final version of an application. A software release may be either public or private and generally constitutes the initial or new generation of a new or upgraded application. A release is preceded by the distribution of alpha and then beta versions of the software..

Categorization Project, Alterations Workflow, User Stories

@estelaris reported that work is still in process for P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. Updates. No further updates for this week.

Handbook Revamp

@milana_cap completed Reporting an Issue page from the Docs team Handbook.

New page to work upon while we are on workflows would be Facilitating Documentation Table at Contributor Day

Season of Docs

@cbringmann confirms regarding linking all projects to google which are listed here 

The list for Mentor Applicants are:

@cbringmann also mentioned that we have to wait for Google to get back to us, then will have a list of projects which got selected so that we can move to the next step. The Linked Project List can be found (here).

New members Mentor training

@sukafia suggested that we should have a meeting within this week for the new member’s Mentor training.  He also spoke with @atachibana and collected some ideas on how to help new members contribute to devhub as @atachibana had shared a list of projects new members can easily contribute to. 

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@sukafia had created a Doodle for coffee break and requested all of us to please select the preferred slot according to availability.

WCEU Online Contributors Day

@milana_cap has started writing a p2 post for WCEU Online 2020 Contributors Day

Open Floor

@audrasjb announced that French Documentation team had successfully translated 76 Helphub pages which actually covers 36.3% of total, now moving forward to make those pages publicly available for all French users. He also expressed his gratitude to everyone who worked on HelpHub internationalization and thinks that it was fantastic.

@milana_cap urged one of the Docs Team members to maintain the developer’s BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor documentation. She also added by saying if you’re knowledgeable and experienced with developing on top of the block editor then you should try and help. @makewebbetter offered to help and @milana_cap would look after it.

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Documentation Team Meeting 27 April 2020

Attendance

@chaion07 @kenshino @milana_cap @estelaris @netpassprodsr @joyously @sukafia @makewebbetter @cbringmann @rabbirshad199621 @iamshubhamnigam @atachibana @themiked @softservenet

Agenda

source

  1. Attendance
  2. Note-taker & Facilitator selection for Next Meeting
  3. Categorization Project, Alterations Workflow, User Stories (discussion)
  4. Handbook Revamp
    • Homepage Update
    • Deadline for next 2 to 3 pages
  5. Project Updates
  6. Season of Docs
  7. New Member Mentor Training
  8. Tracking Slack Comments
  9. Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions
  10. WCEU Online Contributors Day
  11. Open Floor

Notetaker: @makewebbetter
Notes Reviewed by: @chaion07
Facilitator: @chaion07
Facilitator for Next Meeting: @milana_cap
Follow the meeting on the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel

Categorization Project, Alterations Workflow, User Stories

@estelaris completed 63 stories so far.(ref).

Instead of a zoom meeting, write-up is recommended by @kenshino ref and @estelaris agreed to complete that by this week. @chaion07 also ready for assisting as a supporting hand.

Handbook Revamp

@milana_cap provided a Handbook document – here, this document is not finished as she doesn’t have workflows for some projects, she’ll list once the draft is finished.For the missing ones she recommended “Report in Slack” as the default option.

Project Updates

@atachibana reported on thee-routing of the Codex page to Code Reference for Functions as 583 out of 1069 (54.5%) had been completed. He also felt that it was a considerate jump from 46.6% from last week by reaching 50% and more.!He also expressed his thanks to @stevenlinx, @collinsmbaka, and @immeet94 Ref

Season of Docs

After discussion and to considering a point that we need time to select the project ideas the deadline for project ideas submission was decided as 30th of April UTC 11:59

Recommended format for posting project ideas

Project name: Choose a concise but descriptive title.
Description: A longer description of the documentation work required. Describe your initial idea in detail. Offer opportunities for any interested technical writers to expand or refine the idea.
Related material: if any

All mentors are required to post at least one idea, and we need to choose 6 projects from 12 and 2 mentors per project.
And submit your ideas here before the deadline- 30th UTC 11:59

New members Mentor training

@sukafia shared the link to the working document – here 

Including the tracking sheet for new members  – here 

He addressed that the team is welcoming new members alongside @softservenet @netpassprodsr and @milana_cap to make this happen. (ref)

Slack Comment Tracking

@kenshino suggested this to be proposed by one of the mentors as a project in the Season of Docs.

Monthly Coffee Breaks/Zoom sessions

@sukafia suggested if we can play around with features like Zoom breakout rooms and a few other features that’ll allow us to get to know each other in a fun way. But he wasn’t sure on the scheduling of the coffee break.

He will create a  Doodle Poll for the schedule selection to the Coffee Break and update us regarding this. 

WCEU Online Contributors Day

@milana_cap is going to write a post on WCEU Online Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. on behalf of the Docs Team.

Open Floor

@joyously pointed out that there have been several questions here about the look of the Roles and Capabilities page, and towards the recent ticket that was posted. Was it that the table styles were lost? Did this get fixed? @milana_cap replied that she was on it as it hadn’t been fixed yet.

@netpassprodsr wanted to ask what was needed to move the doc’s page reformat initiative forward referring to the forums page wordpress.org/support/forum?

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting 23rd March 2020

Attendance

Facilitator: @estelaris
Notetaker: @sukafia

@estelaris, @kenshino, @leogermani, @WPZA, @bph, @nao, @atachibana, @estelaris, @tomf, @pbrocks @sukafia, @nobnob, @audrasjb @zzap, @netpassprodsr, @FahimMurshed, @marcio-zebedeu, @joyously, @ibdz

Facilitator next week: @sukafia
Next meeting will hold on:

Monday, March 16, 2020, 15:00 UTC

Project updates

@bph updated the WordPress editor article and hopes to do two/three of the missing pages a week on the end-user documentation for the blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor.

@atachibana re-routed Codex Function pages to Code Reference. Completed 39% (417 of 1069).

@estelaris commended @bph for the update on the WordPress editor and asked if there were still missing articles for the block editor, which @bph responded that a few pages were missing among the embed blocks and the new blocks in 5.3 and 5.4. and some are in dire need to updates as the UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. changed a bit, but that’s a bit of an uphill battle as they UI will change again in August.

@bph shared the Trello board for Gutenberg end-user documentation. – https://trello.com/b/JnTCzOsL/gutenberg-end-user-docs

@Marcio-zebedeu offered to help in Migrating Code Reference. @estelaris prompted everyone who’s volunteering to help someone to please specify the project/task so we can properly record it in our notes.

Handbook revamps

@estelaris made it known that @leogermani wasn’t available in the meeting due to meeting conflicts but that he will consolidate the changes to our welcome box later in the day and publish it.

Categorization project

On the categorization project, @estelaris said we “must find high-level goals and create user stories to exemplify our goals and to give better direction to those that would like to help and are outside the docs team” She shared a link to the spreadsheet for the project – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Ea2yeF5Rfy_YDk7pBRJ4rdljhMjygXFqBq8gWwhbaE/edit#gid=1762929540

@estelaris briefed the team that “there are exactly 172 articles that we need to reclassify and that a group of contributors at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Vienna had helped to create categories and subcategories that could help but that they’re still far from finishing the project. She added that the new categories/subcategories are on the “CategoryCategory The 'category' taxonomy lets you group posts / content together that share a common bond. Categories are pre-defined and broad ranging. Recs tab”.

Several deliberations were made on this. It was agreed that articles shouldn’t be repeated, tags were suggested as a way to co-relate articles.

The conclusion was to decide on goals and come up with user stories next time.

Open floor

@netpassprodsr volunteered to contribute to Re-routing of Codex Function pages to Code Reference.

@sukafia shared a draft of the “Extending WordPress” article which he had suggested to be included in the documentation in the previous meeting. He’s to work on it alongside @tomf for inclusion in the Overview of WordPress article.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11fPqjpFNDQt0WKtnTkk_VAnUMYMndoEd9ppGZf1mcBw/edit

Transcript of the meeting:
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1584975640002300

#meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: February 17, 2020

Attendance

@kenshino, @wpza, @sasiddiqui, @atachibana, @milana_cap, @felipeloureirosantos, @bph, @leogermani, @estelaris, @nobnob, @sukafia, @tomf, @marcio-zebedeu

Facilitator: @kenshino
Note taker: @valentinbora

Actionable points

  • @everyone to review and give feedback on the Handbook refresh efforts here
  • @leogermani to spearhead Handbook refresh efforts, @milana_cap to help with feedback
  • @leogermani to open a ticket on TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. regarding #meta statistics and invite @kenshino to draw attention from the appropriate stakeholders
  • @tomf to audit content for outdated or irrelevant WordPress.comWordPress.com An online implementation of WordPress code that lets you immediately access a new WordPress environment to publish your content. WordPress.com is a private company owned by Automattic that hosts the largest multisite in the world. This is arguably the best place to start blogging if you have never touched WordPress before. https://wordpress.com/ links and compile a list
  • @estelaris to write up notes from the WCVienna working session on classifying docs and post them on this site

Next meeting

Monday, February 24, 2020, 15:00 UTC on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. #docs (follow here)

Handbook refresh

For the detailed document, see @leogermani‘s New Handbook pages on Google Docs.

@leogermani gave an update on the Handbook refresh effort and found out that the “Welcome box” is really outdated with confusing links, so he started a proposal to change that as well as give the Handbook a new home page with a short overview and links to more detailed pages

@leogermani also raised the issue about our internal codenames such as DevHub and HelpHub which can be confusing for end-users, so instead he decided in favor of using developer.wordpress.org and wordpress.org/support, respectively

@kenshino agreed we should stop using codenames in public information and address them by their URLURL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org only or both codename + url.

@milana_cap mentioned that we might still want to explain our codenames on specific detail pages in order to help users find the appropriate Components on the Meta Trac when they wanted to raise issues

WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ vs. WordPress.com

@sukafia raised the WordPress.org vs. WordPress.com issue again (reminder: people confuse the two when looking for help, documentation)

@tomf added that they had the same issue during content migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. where they noticed some content linking to WordPress.com docs when it shouldn’t have (we’re only concerned with WordPress.org here)

@kenshino asked whether we had a list of content that contains outdated or irrelevant WordPress.com links and @tomf answered that we didn’t. As such, @tomf agreed to lead the effort to audit content and compile a list

Open Floor

@leogermani was tasked with reaching out to #meta for statistics but didn’t receive anything back yet and doesn’t know who to specifically reach out to. @kenshino suggested to have a ticket open on Trac to help make it happen

@estelaris organized an interactive session at WCVienna this past weekend and together reviewed a series of articles and classified them with proper categories and subcategories

For context, there is an ongoing effort to reorganize WordPress.org documentation. For details, see Working File – HelpHub Article Categories

@estelaris mentioned that some articles didn’t have proper titles, other articles were (very) outdated and finally some articles were redundant in that they only linked to other pages

@estelaris agreed to @kenshino‘s invitation to write up some notes from the working session and post them on this site

@kenshino observed the efforts of @estelaris (Categorization) and @tomf (Content Audit) to be complementary and recommended they worked together

@kenshino mentioned that @coffee2code updated everyone with the appropriate Team and Contributor badges. Also, there’s a list of people that shouldn’t be holding a Team badge anymore due to inactivity

Transcript

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1581951613217400

#docs, #meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting 20th January 2020

Facilitator & Attendance

Facilitator: @felipeelia

Attendance: @milana_cap, @atachibana, @marcio, @bph, @audrasjb, @tjnowell, @nullbyte, @pbrocks, @carike, @tomf, @kulsumsiddique, @nobnob, @kartikshukla, @estelaris, @kenshino, @clorith and @fierevere.

Note-taker: @audrasjb

Next week Facilitator: @kulsumsiddique

Meeting transcript on Slack

DevHub migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. status

@atachibana shared some stats about this project: 322 of 1069 pages were re-routed from Codex to Code Reference, which is 30.1% of all.

This is one of the ongoing efforts of the Documentation team. If anybody wants to help, they can contact @atachibana via DM or via #docs SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel.

New contributors are encouraged to read this handbook page to learn more about contributing to HelpHub articles.

Discussion on the Docs team organization in general

As WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia is coming, it would be nice to reach an agreement on two items: Team Workflows and Badges distribution.

Team workflow

It refers to reporting an issue about WordPress documentation. There is a Trello board for that. Most workflows are covered, if not all.

@milana_cap hopes to have the Workflows page published in the first week of February.

Badges

Contributors are encouraged to leave comments and suggestions on this post by the end of this week so @milana_cap can start working on a P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. proposal.

@felipeelia pointed out the example of someone who noted an error on one of the available docs and asked if they would be elligible to receive the docs contributor badge. @bph noted that it’s a micro-contribution. Several micro-contributions could lead people to receive a contributor badge. @felipeelia pointed out that it would need to keep track of each contribution in a document. @bph added that normally each contributor could keep track of it and let the Team know, when the threshold is reached.

@estalris noted that the design team do triages and people who participate on triages don’t receive a badge, because that is a micro-contribution. Only members with a specific project or role in the team are the ones that receive badges. Note: it’s for the Team badge.

Support team has a 400 replies goal to receive the contributor badge. Becoming a moderator comes with the team badge.

HelpHub

@atachibana is working on the progress and will prepare something for the next meeting.

@kenshino said he would love for that Survey to be ready to be distributed at WC Asia, in one month.

The goal is to build the questions of the survey with the general theme being “How do you think we can improve the WordPress documentation?”. Some questions using the likert scale to track how good it is now so the Team can repeat the survey in the future. Some open fields to get proper feedback so it’s possible to define future projects better.

@estelaris worked on the subcategory issue https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qSNKiAwLbc2nLrtGLj4Ndp4-N0daZOfgazlsSYnFXqM/edit?usp=sharing. That was her first draft in trying to organize the articles, but she needs help to define the subcategories.

A discussion started about the relevancy of categorization, but the Team agreed categorization makes sense when there is a lot of content as users would be able to filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. what they want to look for. @kenshino noted that we’re trying to solve a discovery issue and those won’t be solved with one method. Categorizing them is a start. But a proper search system is also necessary.

@estelaris and @atachibana are going to work together on sub-categorization system.

New readme.txt file for the Developer Handbook

@carike noted that the CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Privacy team discussed the proposed headers for readme.txt files. There is some debate about whether external calls need to be one item or split into three. Everyone agrees with the headers in general though. Next step is a metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. ticket. They cannot update the readme.txt before the new headers are added, as this would lead to confusion.

Custom fields page

@leogermani edited the Custom Fields page as previously discussed. He added an entry to the Workflows card in Trello about Code reference.

#meetings, #summary