In a bi-weekly Docs Team meeting, a quarterly and independently-led docs team contributor day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. was proposed, much like the first ever one that was held in 2022.
The docs team decided on a more frequent monthly schedule.
Other details were also discussed and decided on in the following bi-weeky Docs team meeting:
- These contributor days would be three hours long each,
- they would be facilitated by any one and every contributor in attendance who wants to do it including team reps, leads, and other key contributors who are able to facilitate,
- a Zoom link will be made available for contributors to meet as well as the #docs Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel,
- the contributor day would be announced,
- an issue would be opened in GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ with onboarding details similar to the first iteration, and
- contributors who attend need to comment on the GitHub post with the tasks they will work on during the allotted time or else note that they are in attendance.
New monthly structure to bi-weekly meetings
In the meeting previously mentioned, the docs team agreed upon a new monthly structure that would incorporate the monthly contributor day.
Previously, there was an ongoing rotation of the team and triage meetings week-by-week so that each worked out to be a bi-weekly meeting in Slack.
The new structure for these two docs team meetings are as follows:
- Week one: Docs Team meeting
- Week two: Triage meeting
- Week three: Docs Team meeting
- Week four: Online Contributor Day
- Week five: If there is a fifth week in the month, the docs team will have an extra week to catch up or it will be a triage meeting, as needed.
Please note: Week five is sometimes referred to as the “overeating” week by docs team contributors. It’s in reference to team meetings and the first online Docs Team Contributor Day where it’s common for kudos to be given when issues are noted by contributors as being completed by them. Kudos is often given in the form of 🍪 (cookie) emojis. Cookies and other desserts are sometimes also offered at the Docs Team table of the Contributor Day for in-person WordCamps.
The next Docs Team Contributor Day
The first monthly online Docs Team Contributor Day will be:
When: Tuesday, 25 April 2023, 1:00-4:00 PM UTC
Where: #docs channel on Slack, and on Zoom.
Please also see Contributor Day – 25th April, 2023 on GitHub for onboarding and other important details.