WP Notify meeting for 28 October 2019 cancelled.

With WCUS just around the corner, the WP Notify meeting for 28 October 2019 is canceled.

If anyone wants to chat about WP Notify, @hrmervin will be available to connect with folks at the WCUS Contributor Day.

#feature-notifications

WP Notify – Meeting Recap – Oct 21, 2019

This is a recap of a meeting held October 21 for a Core project related to WordPress Admin Notifications. Meetings on this task are held every Monday at 14:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC respectively.

Related Links

Google Doc: WP Notify Project Requirements Document

Notes Per Agenda

Open Floor for Feedback

Our discussion this meeting further refined the focus of this project, to be a solution “… plugin and theme developers can leverage, again instead of using admin_notices.”

Present handling of admin_notices will require distinction between immediate (core) based notifications such as successful saves, and a queue of notifications to be followed up on at a later time.

This project seeks to pave the way so future projects can build upon the new notifications handling. Enhancement such as mail or push notifications handling, will be able to leverage the processing we create here.

Next Steps

We welcome feedback on the project either here in this post, or in the requirements (via Google Doc, comments). 

We invite you to attend our next meeting, held in Slack > #feature-notifications

  • Monday, October 28 2019 at 14:00 UTC 
  • Monday, October 28 2019 at 22:00 UTC

#summary

WP Notify weekly meeting agenda for 21 October 2019

Here is the agenda for the weekly meeting happening later today, Monday, October 21, 2019, 14:00 UTC and Monday, September 21, 2019, 22:00 UTC.

  • Opening and welcome
  • Discussion: What is the objective of this project?
  • Update on requirements gathering process
  • Open floor

If you have anything specific to propose for the agenda, please leave a comment below.

This meeting is held in the #feature-notifications channel , to join the meeting, you’ll need an account on the Making WordPress Slack.

#agenda, #feature-notifications

WP Notify weekly meeting agenda for 14 October 2019

Here is the agenda for the weekly meeting happening later today, Monday, September 30, 2019, 14:00 UTC and Monday, September 30, 2019, 22:00 UTC.

Please note that the 14:00 UTC meeting has been cancelled, but the 22:00 UTC meeting will continue.

Our main point of focus is the ongoing work on the requirements gathering document process, so during this meeting we ask those who have been working on this document to give us a brief update.

If you have anything specific to propose for the agenda, please leave a comment below.

This meeting is held in the #feature-notifications channel , to join the meeting, you’ll need an account on the Making WordPress Slack.

#agenda, #feature-notifications

WP Notify Meeting Recap – October 7 , 2019

This is a recap of a meeting held October 7 for a Core project related to WordPress Admin Notifications. Meetings on this task are held every Monday at 14:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC respectively.

Related Links

Google Doc: WP Notify Project Requirements Document

Notes Per Agenda

Proposal to continue merging recap and agenda into one post

@hrmervin: Volunteered to prepare the weekly recap following Eastern US time meeting

We have an open `call for scribes` if anyone is interested in volunteering alongside Mervin to take notes and/or prepare a recap.

Update on requirements gathering document

@hrmervin: Created a visual representation of the present hook workflow. As we continue to write the details of this project, we will create diagrams to illustrate A) The feature’s (feature plugin) hooks, B) the Data being managed and how it will flow, and C) the user(s) views and endpoints (how the notifications will be consumed)

  • We discussed adding names for our target users.
    • Site Admins (non-technical)
    • Site Admins (Technical)
    • Product Authors (Plugin and Theme authors)

Discussion on overlap of TRT Admin Notices package

@aristath: Spoke on an admin notice package developed to help theme authors manage notices.

“The WPTRT package is a simple wrapper for the core functions to make it easier for theme-devs to add admin-notices in a consistent manner, avoiding all the issues we’ve had in the past with theme-reviews. It’s pretty simple if you look at its code, simply sanitizing/escaping, and handling the notices dismissing.”

  • We may incorporate aspects of this package into the front-end parts of our end solution.

Open floor

  • One recommendation for future technical implementation was made by @ediamin “fetch the notifications with REST API and show them with Gutenberg Notice and/or Snackbar components”

Next Steps

We welcome feedback on the project either here in this post, or in the requirements (via Google Doc, comments). 

We invite you to attend our next meeting, held in Slack > #feature-notifications

  • Monday, October 14 2019 at 14:00 UTC 
  • Monday, October 14 2019 at 22:00 UTC

#summary

WP Notify Meeting Recap – September 30, 2019 & Weekly Agenda

This post summarises the weekly WP Notify chat meeting from September 30th 2019.

For the sake of efficiency, it also includes the weekly meeting agenda for the meeting to be held later today (October 7th, 2019)

Weekly WP Notify meetings are held every Monday at 14:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC respectively.

Feedback on requirements gathering

Document link

Last week, we built a basic requirements table of content for the requirements. @dinhtungdu started filling it with the data collected from the Trac ticket and proposal document.

We still need to add more content from the conversations took place on the Trac ticket and the Proposal.

What we archived last week is a skeleton which is ready to add more content to. This does however make it easier for new contributors to get up to speed on the focus of the project

@karmatosed raised a concern that on reading the doc, it seems to be going to technical requirements first and asked whether explorations in user flows/experience been thought about yet.

@hrmervin has offered to start to piece something together for the flow of information.

@ediamin inquired about whether there any plan to include any background processor into WP core, to facilitate WP Notify using WP Cron to dispatch the notifications. They also pointed out that WooCommerce uses this and it’s very efficient.

@daniloercoli asked that we take the mobile apps in the consideration. Right now the apps “talk” with the backend via XML-RPC. There is a plan to upgrade the communication layer to the REST API, but it’s still not there due to the “missing” authentication part.

Agenda for next meeting

  • Proposal to continue merging recap and agenda into one post
  • Update on requirements gathering
  • Discussion on overlap of TRT Admin Notices package
  • Open floor

Comments/suggestions are encouraged and welcome. If you want to add any agenda topics, please also comment on this post.

#feature-notifications, #summary

WP Notify weekly meeting agenda for 30 September 2019

Here is the agenda for the weekly meeting happening later today, Monday, September 30, 2019, 14:00 UTC and Monday, September 30, 2019, 22:00 UTC.

Our focus at the moment is on the requirements gathering document process, so the meeting will be mostly updates on that process.

If you have anything specific to propose for the agenda, please leave a comment below.

This meeting is held in the #feature-notifications channel , to join the meeting, you’ll need an account on the Making WordPress Slack.

#agenda, #feature-notifications

WP Notify meeting for 23 September 2019 cancelled.

Due to availability constraints, the WP Notify meeting for the 23rd of September 2019 is canceled.

We will pick up again on Monday the 30th of September 2019.

#feature-notifications

WP Notify Meeting Recap – September 16, 2019

This post summarises the weekly WP Notify chat meeting from 16 September 2019.

Weekly WP Notify meetings are held every Monday at 14:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC respectively.

Project contributors document

@hrmervin has created a Project contributors document. If you haven’t already, and you’re keen to contribute to this project, please add your details there. Putting in things like areas of interest will help us determine who to ask for specific help. We’d also add that things like email address we consider non-compulsory, so you don’t have to put in your email.

Requirements gathering document

The requirements gathering document has been created, and is currently empty. Our goal is to have the bulk of the info we have so far in this document by the time of the next meeting. We’d like to get two other contributors on board (besides @psykro and @hrmervin) to help collate the information. If you’re keen to help, comment on this post. @dinhtungdu expressed interest in contributing to this document.

Project naming

We will be sticking with WP Notify for now, as it also ties into the namespace @schlessera proposed for the API and should help avoiding confusion when discussing any specific parts of the project later on.

Meeting host availability and contingency plans

Right now this project has a bus factor of 1, in that if @psykro cannot post the agenda or host the first meeting, that weeks set of meetings are usually cancelled. It was suggested that this is acceptable as the nature of open source.

Comments/suggestions are encouraged and welcome.

#feature-notifications, #summary

Summary of Core Privacy Office Hours, Sept. 18th 2019

Below is a summary of the discussion from this week’s Core Privacy chat (agenda, Slack Transcript).

Agenda Item: 5.3 Enhancements

The following tickets were flagged as enhancements for 5.3 privacy component;

  • #43890 – Allow Admin to Skip e-mail confirmation for Export/Anonymization.
  • #44133 – Should the Data Export indicate when we have no information on the user.
  • #44135 – Have Erasure button workflow follow Export button workflow replacing with static link.
  • #44588 – Denote the Copy action is complete by updating the Copy button to state ‘Copied’.
  • #46303 – Update wp_privacy_send_personal_data_export_email to provide the same filters as _wp_privacy_send_erasure_fulfillment_notification.
  • #46895 – Personal Data Export Report: A way to display the group count.

#44133, #44135, #46303 and #46895 are all nearing completion but will need another set of eyes and review/testing before they can be marked commit.

#43890 and #44588 will need some work either a refresh or initial patch.
#43890 needs discussion but @garrett-eclipse is leaning towards the use of checkboxes instead of dropdown.
#44588 has site health example to follow and just needs coding.

@pputzer graciously offered to review some of these tickets.

Agenda Item: Privacy Data Request Form

Feature Plugin Proposal – https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/09/04/feature-plugin-proposal-privacy-data-request-form/

Not much feedback has been received yet so will let it gestate a little more. Initial feedback is pointing towards plugin territory over a core merge.

@audrasjb indicated it would be nice to test as a featured plugin so will determine how that can be accomplished.

Agenda Item: Consent and Logging Mechanism for User Privacy

Feature Plugin Discussion – https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/08/07/feature-plugin-discussion-a-consent-and-logging-mechanism-for-user-privacy/

@garrett-eclipse asked if the effort needs to be setup like the WP-Notify #feature-notifications team and meetings.

Neither @idea15 nor @garrett-eclipse have capacity currently to spearhead the effort so decided to collect names of interested parties to create a working group. If anyone is interested in working on the consent/logging mechanism please feel free to comment on this thread or reach out in #core-privacy on Slack.

#privacy