Bring your Ideas and Projects to the October 24th Hosting Community Meeting

The #hosting-community team is looking for new opportunities to enhance the WordPress experience for WordPress users! Hosts and others in the WordPress community are welcome to join the team at the October 24th meeting Wednesday, October 24th, 2018 at 1700 UTC. The team would also like to ask regular contributors and team members to outline 2-3 ideas for new initiatives for the team to work on.

The #hosting-community wants to hear all ideas, big or small, especially for projects related to or for improving WordPress hosting. Some of the team’s previous projects include:

New ideas and initiatives do not have to be limited to these kinds of projects. Contributors and newcomers alike are welcome to suggest any new initiatives or efforts that could improve the hosting experience for WordPress users in general.

Hosting Meeting Notes: July 25th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, July 25th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @dryanpress @pdclark @dhsean @jadonn @bph @mikeschinkel @earnjam @mikeschroder

Announcements/Reminders

Gutenberg

  • @andrewtaylor-1 reported two new issues with Try Gutenberg.
    • Users are prompted to install even when they do not have file write privileges.
      • Additional checks have been added for file privileges.
    • Hosts need to be able to customize some of the text in the Try Gutenberg panel in order to direct users to resources relevant for their platforms.
      • @pento implemented an action hook hosts can use for this in response.
  • Regarding customizing the text, after some discussion, the team agreed to request the action @pento implemented be changed to a filter and to have the filter change the “Learn more about Gutenberg” link and its anchor text.
  • @mikeschroder raised a concern about WordPress.org not having the means to remotely toggle whether or not the Try Gutenberg panel is displayed.
    • Such functionality would be useful in case of significant issues that arose during the initial adoption phase.
    • @mikeschroder will follow up with Trac ticket #41316 regarding his concerns.
  • @mikeschroder asked team members to add any information they think would be helpful to the Try Gutenberg Support Best Practices Documentation.

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, August 1st, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: July 18th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, July 18th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @rawrly @hirenpurohit @brettface  @jadonn @jessecowens @mazeheld

Announcements/Reminders

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, July 25th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Send Your Delegates to the July 11th Hosting Community Meeting

The WordPress.org Hosting Community (#hosting-community) wants to help prepare hosting support teams for the launch of Gutenberg by producing documentation and resources hosting companies can use to prepare their support teams to best assist their users with Gutenberg before Gutenberg launches.

Anyone interested in preparing for the launch of Try Gutenberg and the launch of Gutenberg in general is welcome to attend the meeting of the Hosting Community team at Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 1700 UTC. This will be an opportunity for everyone to meet, establish key milestones, and figure out how to collaborate. Feel free to join #hosting-community in the WordPress.org Slack before then if you have any questions, etc.

At a high level, our goals are to help hosting support teams:

  1. Understand what Gutenberg is and how it works.
  2. Be confident in diagnosing support requests / bug reports / plugin conflicts.
  3. Know how to act on the result of their diagnosis (let it be opening a new Gutenberg issue, reporting the conflict to the plugin author, etc.).

Gutenberg is the redesigned WordPress editor launching later this year with WordPress 5.0. It marks a relatively significant change to WordPress’s editor interface, and the WordPress.org Hosting Community team wants to support a smooth transition to Gutenberg for hosting companies’ customers.

WordPress users will also soon receive an invitation in their WordPress admin dashboard to Try Gutenberg. Users who opt in to Try Gutenberg will have the Gutenberg plugin installed to their WordPress websites. We expect that WordPress users will go to their hosting providers’ support teams first for help with Gutenberg.

We are developing documentation that outlines the best practices for assisting customers with Gutenberg and where support teams can find additional help. The documentation currently lives in a shared Google Document. It contains information about Gutenberg, including:

  1. What is Gutenberg
  2. How to try Gutenberg before it launches
  3. Common support questions
  4. Common bugs
  5. How to file a bug template
  6. Suggested steps for troubleshooting Gutenberg-related issues
  7. Guidance on looking for plugin conflicts with Gutenberg

We want to work directly with hosting companies to cultivate Gutenberg Subject Matter Experts who can take the lead in coordinating with their hosting team and the WordPress.org Hosting Community team to prepare for Gutenberg. Hosting companies interested in collaborating on plans for preparing their teams for Gutenberg should send a representative to the Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 1700 UTC. We will discuss the launch of Try Gutenberg and Gutenberg in more detail at that meeting.

We aim to partner with hosting companies to capture user feedback about Gutenberg in order to help drive improvements in Gutenberg. Hosting companies are well-positioned to best assists WordPress users with the move to Gutenberg and to communicate to the Gutenberg team the problems their users are experiencing with Gutenberg. Hosting support teams can contribute to Gutenberg directly through submitting bug reports and providing feedback to the Gutenberg team and the Hosting Community team on how Gutenberg can be made better for WordPress users.

We look forward to seeing you on July 11th!

Hosting Meeting Notes: May 16th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @antpb @brettface @jadonn @josh2k5 @pdclark

Announcements/Reminders

  • WordPress 4.9.6 Release Candidate 2 is out
    • WordPress 4.9.6 is scheduled for release Thursday, May 17th, 2018.
  • The next Hosting Documentation Collaboration day is scheduled for Friday, May 18th, 2018 at 1700 UTC.
    • Interested in helping out? Stop by the #hosting-community Slack channel for more information.

Gutenberg

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: May 2nd, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @antpb @brettface @dws122 @robertjacobi @rachelwhitton @pdclark

ServeHappy

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

  • @danielbachhuber was out today, but @mikeschroder reported that the ‘Try Gutenberg’ callout has been pushed back to WordPress 4.9.7 instead of WordPress 4.9.6.
  • @mikeschroder asked for an update from @pdclark and @jadonn on coordinating Gutenberg-specific documentation to help hosts prepare for ‘Try Gutenberg’.
    • @jadonn did not have any updates.
    • @pdclark suggested having a collaboration session with Google Docs to develop documentation.
    • @rachelwhitton, @jadonn, @brettface liked the idea of using Google Docs and collaborating together more closely.
      • @andrewtaylor-1 mentioned some people he knew would be interested in collaborating on a shared Gutenberg support document when that effort gets started.
  • @pdclark volunteered to create a shared Google Doc document for collaborating on Gutenberg support documentation for hosts.

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 9th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 18th, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees:
@mikeschroder @danielbachhuber @andrewtaylor-1 @jadonn @harryjackson1221 @josh2k5 @pdclark @t-rave @dws122

Team Organization

  • @mikeschroder announced that @jadonn is helping with team representative work on a trial basis.
  • @jadonn suggested the team look at improving team organization in the future.
    • Specific suggestions were maintaining lists of tasks contributors can do and considering agenda-based meetings.
    • @danielbachhuber suggested the team for now might get better contributions by focusing on currently ongoing projects.
      • @jadonn agreed focusing on current projects now would be good use of time.
  • @mikeschroder asked for input on contributor badges and team badges for the #hosting-community team.
    • @mikeschroder proposed giving a contributor badge to people who make a discrete contribution to the team.
    • @mikeschroder asked for input on what to do for giving out team badges.
      • @jadonn suggested looking at different criteria like number of contributions or contributions and attendance.
    • @josh2k5 and @mikeschroder liked looking at contribution and attendance.
      • Especially, as @josh2k5 suggested, active participation in planning and execution for projects.
    • @pdclark thought they were good metrics to consider and that badges would be a good incentive for contributors.
    • @jadonn mentioned attendance would have to be tracked.
      • @josh2k5 felt that it would be self-evident who should receive team badges as time went on.
      • @jadonn and @mikeschroder discussed how to award badges (i.e. give them out or have people request them).
        • @mikeschroder thought, and @jadonn agreed, that team representatives giving out badges would be better recognition.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Gutenberg

  • @danielbachhuber, @jadonn, and @pdclark reported on the Try Gutenberg and Gutenberg plugin compatibility efforts.
    • @danielbachhuber mentioned he would be meeting with a representative from the Gutenberg team to work on a plan for collaboration.
    • @jadonn did some more research into automated plugin testing and has been in communication with the #marketing team about help with outreach.
    • @pdclark made a draft for a related Try Gutenberg ticket and sent it to @danielbachhuber
    • @danielbachhuber was going to review the existing database of plugin compatibility for any useful information.
    • @danielbachhuber was going to work on a first draft of a guide for the integration points for the classic WordPress editor and for Gutenberg.
      • Work is tracked on GitHub here.
      • @jadonn had previously written up a list of this kind of information for the automated plugin work. He will add it to the GitHub issue.

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 25th, 2018, 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 17, 2018

Here’s a summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 at 1800 UTC

(Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • @danielbachhuber indicated that getting Travis CI to report to the page is in final implementation stages
    • He will continue running the build to verify everything works as expected – details here
  • Analysis of the build failures so far are here
  • Once wpdevbot is submitting results @danielbachhuber is creating a way for it to email that info – details here
  • @andrewtaylor-1 asked – Do you need an email address from existing hosts reporting?
  • @danielbachhuber replied – Each bot user should already have an email address — that's what I'm planning to use.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @andrewtaylor-1 indicated that comments are still being gone through for the Reliability page but more are still welcome
  • There are placeholder stubs in Security and other topics that could use some help as well

Request for Help!

  • Submit any further feedback about the Reliability page
  • Add to or add feedback to any other topics of the Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 24th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#hosting-community, #weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 10, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 at 1800 UTC

(Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • Cloudways and Human Made are now reporting results! That brings us to 5 hosts reporting results!
  • Has the DU project caught any bugs pre-release yet to anyone's knowledge?
    • As of the meeting, there had been no data analysis yet
    • A bug related to an incorrect dependency with `allowfopenurl` that resulted in a ticket
    • So far all hosts that have set testing up, have found things to correct
      • Usually it’s PHP extensions or configuration that aren't quite compatible with WordPress
      • DreamHost, for example, found issues with Imagick due to a regression that would have been caught if the tests had been running in an automated fashion
      • Goals for the end of Q1:
        • Getting the core Travis CI data into the database so we have it as a point of comparison.
        • Prototyping sending an email to the reporting account if host tests fail and core tests have not
          • Will need some language around "here's what you should do about it"
        • @mikeschroder suggested that getting things fixed will probably be connected to #hosting-community at first, until we have a pattern.
        • There was consensus between folks present that hosts could/should create a Trac ticket when they have information to do so.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @mikeschroder's commented on the reliability page but they still need to be reviewed
  • Other feedback is still welcome! 
  • Target audience
    • More ops folks contributing to the docs would help, so that we end up with the details they want.
    • A lot of the feedback @mikeschroder gave for the reliability article was that it seemed like it was focused towards an end user, rather than someone operating a site.
    • Looking at other open source project documentation for "good examples".
      • Drupal’s PHP Requirements doc has some good stuff in it, with relation to the extended PHP compatibility docs we’ve been building

Request for Help!

  • Look at the test results page for the phpunit-test-reporter
  • Call for thoughts and feedback on this issue.
  • Help with reviewing the Reliability page of the handbook by providing feedback
  • @andrewtaylor-1 has a side project he would like some collaboration from another host on. Contact him directly for more details
    • Idea is to use automated testing on CircleCI (have visual regression, working to add Lighthouse) to bulk update WordPress sites, run the tests, then if things pass, deploy… 
    • Specifically, this would be running on cron to check updates (core, plugins and themes)

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 17th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#weekly-hosting-chat