Hosting Meeting Notes: May 13, 2019

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Monday, May 13, 2019 at 1400 UTC (Slack archive).

The agenda followed can be found here.

Attendees: @spacedmonkey @mazeheld @redituk @shinichin @miss_jwo @clorith @mikeschroder

Housekeeping

There’s a call for folks to lead and take notes for meetings. If you’re interested, please comment on this post! This is a great way to get involved and open to anyone that’s attended a few meetings.

A month has passed since the team started alternating meetings. How is it going?

@mazeheld noted that he thought maybe the Wednesday meeting was too early in the day.

@mikeschroder said he’d create a post on make/hosting to discuss, and collect some statistics for sharing after feedback is collected.

This has now been created — please read and comment on this post with how you think things are going.

WordPress 5.2 Check-in

Those present seemed to think the 5.2 release was well received.

@mazeheld brought up increased support due to Site Health Check. They made a support page specifically to address concerns surrounding it.

A couple of folks mentioned surprise that PHP versions < 7.3 result in a lost score, and that seeing a 100% score matters to customers.

Two ideas around it were to have recommendations (outside of requirements) separated from the “score” or to have some recommendations dismissable by administrators if they don’t apply to that user/environment.

There was a little confusion as to what themes are required to stay and/or be removed to have a perfect score.

PHP Upgrade Workshops

@shinichin shared about the PHP upgrade workshops that were run at WordCamp Haneda.

There was a room where hosts got together and gave presentations about how to upgrade with their panels, then a group of volunteers helped folks upgrade.

Around 50 folks got their sites upgraded!

As a result, they want to create documentation so that more meetups and WordCamps in Japan can do the same.

@miss_jwo will connect with @shinichin with documentation from the Site Health booth from WCEU last year, with the plan to do this at WCEU this year as well!

Feedback

If you missed this week’s meeting and have questions or feedback, leave a comment on this post and share your thoughts! OR….Come join for the next meeting!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

+make.wordpress.org/updates

#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 29, 2019

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1400 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees: @mikeschroder @javiercasares @mazeheld @kenshino @sanyog @mikeschinkel @redituk @shinichin

Hosting Meeting Notes

The idea of posting an Agenda post prior to the meetings was recommended and folks present seemed to support the idea.

Reasons given included:

  • Helpful for letting folks who can’t attend bring things up async.
  • Developing habits to better documentation is beneficial for future folks when more things are going on..

@mikeschroder is going to chat with @jadonn about this.

@kenshino suggested having statistics in the meetings would help growing the team. Polyglots team does this (Slack link).

Polyglots sharing statistics on meetings

We need to figure out what sorts of metrics would be interesting to know. These ideas were given:

  • @kenshino: How many hosts are working with the team
  • @javiercasares: PHP versions, Database versions, and some of the statistics at wordpress.org site
  • @mikeschroder: WP.org knows how the PHP version numbers shift between hosts. We haven’t mentioned them to avoid shaming hosts. It would be great to use these to incentivize upgrades. details on hosts that have had success/a large amount of upgrades to new versions?

@shinichin noted that there’s a difference in how hosting providers are involved among countries. Some feel that they are part of the community and others don’t see that way.

We didn’t have the time to discuss:

  • WordPress 5.2
  • Idle Hosting Test Runners

@shinichin raised a topic for the next meeting: “PHP version update workshop at WordCamps”

@mikeschroder mentioned two things related to 5.2:

  1. @clorith posted this Site Health dev note to the chat late last week (thank you!!): https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/04/25/site-health-check-in-5-2/
  2. 5.2 got pushed back by a week, and is now being released on the 7th: https://make.wordpress.org/core/5-2/

Feedback

If you missed this week’s meeting and have questions or feedback, leave a comment on this post and share your thoughts! OR….Come join for the next meeting!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

+make.wordpress.org/updates

#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 24, 2019

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 1400 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees: @jadonn @brettface @jnash @andrewtaylor-1 @amykamala @riper81 @mazeheld 

WordPress 5.2 Release – May 7th

The release of WordPress version 5.2 has been pushed back to May 7th. More information found here:

WordPress 5.2 Beta Testing

Hosts: Please test WordPress 5.2 beta before it releases.

WordPress 5.2 is currently set to release with the new Site Health tool.

Check out this doc that has details on tests and filters for the Site Health tool.

Please note that some tests may not apply, or may require changes for certain hosts, so please take a look! For example, there’s a check for automatic update support that requires that WordPress be writable and not have a .git directory. Hosts that have a non-writable WordPress directory or native version control and handle upgrade for users manually may want to change or remove that test using the available filters.

Some more info can be found on WordPress 5.2 beta here: https://wordpress.org/news/2019/04/wordpress-5-2-beta-3/

Automated Unit Testing

Some Hosts have reported issues with the automated unit testing tools:

Please continue submitting test results. Thank you to all who have participated thus far!

Hosting Metrics Tracking

@andrewtaylor-1 suggested tracking how PHP version offerings across hosts change with the new requirement of 5.6 and up in WordPress 5.2 by grabbing a baseline before 5.2 and then again at 30, 60 and 90 day intervals.

If hosts are unable to gather those metrics by the release of 5.2, any information on adoption rates for newer versions of PHP are welcomed.

It was noted that many hosts started enforcing use of PHP 5.6 and higher prior to the new WordPress 5.2 PHP requirement being issued.

Feedback

If you missed this week’s meeting and have questions or feedback, leave a comment on this post and share your thoughts! OR….Come join for the next meeting!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

+make.wordpress.org/updates

#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 15, 2019

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 15, 2019 at 1400 UTC (Slack archive).

This was the first meeting at the alternate day/time, and I’m excited to see so many folks!

Attendees: @javiercasares @tylerthomas @j-falk @clorith @boborchard @danfoster @redituk @arvindsingh @katebolin @earnjam @brechtryckaert @mazeheld @tnash @mikeschroder

Hosting Meeting Notes

@redituk noted that he wasn’t able to review meeting notes, so we chatted briefly about the need for folks to review notes/lead meetings and enable that.

@mikeschroder noted that permissions were something we could add, but also that public previews could be enabled if make/hosting had the proper plugin. Since the meeting, this has been added so that anyone can review. Thanks @dd32!

Site Health

As a followup on the chat from last week @mikeschroder suggested folks test the 5.2 beta and linked to a doc that has details on tests and filters for the Site Health tool that is set to ship.

Specifically, he noted that some tests may not apply, or require changes for certain hosts, so please take a look! For instance, there’s a check for automatic update support that requires that WordPress be writable and not have a .git directory. Hosts that have a non-writable WordPress directory or native version control and handle upgrade for users manually may want to change or remove that test using the available filters.

@earnjam pointed out that there will also be a post on make/core soon regarding Site Health.

@j-falk asked if there was any documentation on the PHP modules that Site Health checks for availability. This may be in the upcoming dev note, but in the meantime, it’s visible in the hosting handbook and in the Site Health source.

@mazeheld noted that Site Health was working well for them.

Hosting Automated Testing

@redituk asked to discuss the hosting automated tests.

@earnjam explained that when he set up the tests for Bluehost recently, there were a couple of things he noticed.

First, reporting of the specific error encountered stopped working when the autosave endpoint was merged to core. This makes it so that we can no longer see which tests failed on a host from make/hosting.

Fixing this will involve changes both in the test reporter and on the meta side, but there is currently no way for hosts to know when the test runner/reporter needs to be updated. This makes it difficult to get hosts up to date.

Secondly, some tests were added to core that were failing on hosts that run the tests as root and were since removed temporarily.

He said he’d check to find out which hosts we should contact and recommended we document that the tests should not be run as root (this documentation has since been updated).

Feedback

If you missed this week’s meeting and have questions or feedback, leave a comment on this post and share your thoughts! OR….Come join for the next meeting!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

+make.wordpress.org/updates

#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: April 11, 2019

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 11, 2019 at 1800 UTC (Slack archive).

Attendees: @brechtryckaert @FahimMurshed @tnash @brettface @mazeheld @jnash @zzap @redituk

New Meeting Times Decided

There was brief discussion around the decision to test alternating meeting times for a month.

If you’re interested in taking notes or helping lead either meeting, please leave a comment either here or on the meeting-times-post!

Folks were positive, with @redituk pointing out it would be a good idea to remind folks when the next meeting is, in addition to the make/meetings schedule.

WCEU Contributor Day

@zzap asked if anyone was interested in representing the Hosting team at WCEU, and @mazeheld volunteered. Thanks!

Site Health

@jadonn shared a doc from @mikeschroder detailing the Site Health checks and some filters available for them targeted for WordPress 5.2. Please take a look and see if they look appropriate for your hosting environment. @clorith noted that a dev note is coming soon as well — thanks!

Feedback is appreciated!

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

+make.wordpress.org/updates

#hosting-community, #weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 17, 2018

Here’s a summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 at 1800 UTC

(Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • @danielbachhuber indicated that getting Travis CI to report to the page is in final implementation stages
    • He will continue running the build to verify everything works as expected – details here
  • Analysis of the build failures so far are here
  • Once wpdevbot is submitting results @danielbachhuber is creating a way for it to email that info – details here
  • @andrewtaylor-1 asked – Do you need an email address from existing hosts reporting?
  • @danielbachhuber replied – Each bot user should already have an email address — that's what I'm planning to use.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @andrewtaylor-1 indicated that comments are still being gone through for the Reliability page but more are still welcome
  • There are placeholder stubs in Security and other topics that could use some help as well

Request for Help!

  • Submit any further feedback about the Reliability page
  • Add to or add feedback to any other topics of the Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 24th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#hosting-community, #weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 10, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 at 1800 UTC

(Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • Cloudways and Human Made are now reporting results! That brings us to 5 hosts reporting results!
  • Has the DU project caught any bugs pre-release yet to anyone's knowledge?
    • As of the meeting, there had been no data analysis yet
    • A bug related to an incorrect dependency with `allowfopenurl` that resulted in a ticket
    • So far all hosts that have set testing up, have found things to correct
      • Usually it’s PHP extensions or configuration that aren't quite compatible with WordPress
      • DreamHost, for example, found issues with Imagick due to a regression that would have been caught if the tests had been running in an automated fashion
      • Goals for the end of Q1:
        • Getting the core Travis CI data into the database so we have it as a point of comparison.
        • Prototyping sending an email to the reporting account if host tests fail and core tests have not
          • Will need some language around "here's what you should do about it"
        • @mikeschroder suggested that getting things fixed will probably be connected to #hosting-community at first, until we have a pattern.
        • There was consensus between folks present that hosts could/should create a Trac ticket when they have information to do so.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @mikeschroder's commented on the reliability page but they still need to be reviewed
  • Other feedback is still welcome! 
  • Target audience
    • More ops folks contributing to the docs would help, so that we end up with the details they want.
    • A lot of the feedback @mikeschroder gave for the reliability article was that it seemed like it was focused towards an end user, rather than someone operating a site.
    • Looking at other open source project documentation for "good examples".
      • Drupal’s PHP Requirements doc has some good stuff in it, with relation to the extended PHP compatibility docs we’ve been building

Request for Help!

  • Look at the test results page for the phpunit-test-reporter
  • Call for thoughts and feedback on this issue.
  • Help with reviewing the Reliability page of the handbook by providing feedback
  • @andrewtaylor-1 has a side project he would like some collaboration from another host on. Contact him directly for more details
    • Idea is to use automated testing on CircleCI (have visual regression, working to add Lighthouse) to bulk update WordPress sites, run the tests, then if things pass, deploy… 
    • Specifically, this would be running on cron to check updates (core, plugins and themes)

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to know more about anything above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts! OR….Come join us!

Have some questions on how you can get involved? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 17th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: January 3, 2018

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018 at 1800 UTC (Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • Cloudways is now reporting results! That brings us to 4 hosts reporting results.
  • @danielbachhuber indicated it would be a good idea to create a game plan on what we would like to have accomplished by the end of Q1
  • @mikeschroder suggested a few long term goals for Distributed Testing:
    • Have more hosts represented
    • Report information back to hosts when failures occur that are not also failing on WordPress core’s Travis CI.
    • Expose that information to committers so that they know if they’ve broken things on hosts when it’s passing on WordPress core’s Travis CI.
  • @danielbachhuber indicated it would make sense to do a 2-4 week dev sprint at some point to cover the following:
    • Research to determine whether an environment-specific failure has happened yet.
    • Writing WordPress core’s Travis CI results to the database, so the system can determine environment-specific failures.
      • @danielbachhuber indicated that this item seems like a low-hanging fruit that he could start with over the next week or so.
    • Sending notifications (email, Slack or otherwise) when there’s an environment-specific failure.
    • Minor UX improvements to the reporting page (display all reporters at the top, etc.)

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @andrewtaylor-1 made the hosting environment page live in the hosting handbook
  • @andrewtaylor-1 said it would be better to finish the sections that are closest to being done before exploring auto-publishing from Github to the hosting handbook
    • Reliability is the closest to being done
      • Final review to be done by next meeting
        • @andrewtaylor-1 will look for comments from @jadonn and @mikeschroder, as well as any others willing to help out, then he will do a final review for publish after the next hosting meeting.
    • Security has placeholders and needs content for User Accounts, Uploads vs. Core Files, and WordPress Users and Roles
    • Performance has the most placeholders

Request for Help!

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Have questions on how you can help? Join #hosting-community and feel free to ask at any time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, January 10th, 2017 at 1800 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#best-practices, #documentation, #notes, #testing, #weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: August 30, 2017

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • @danielbachhuber reported no significant updates on this topic. In particular, no new hosts have been added to the page since last week.
  • @jadonn noted that he’s setting up the test runner on InMotion Hosting.
  • We discussed the procedure for hosts to report issues while running the test runner and for hosts to receive support on those issues. @danielbachhuber suggested, and we agreed, to use the PHPUnit Test Runner GitHub Issues page as a support forum for now to centralize diagnosing issues with the test runner and to help hosts with resolving failing tests.
  • @danielbachhuber recognized @straussd from Pantheon for logging #41716, a bug in the automated database tests. Thank you, David, for reporting the bug!

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

  • @mikeschroder recognized pull requests and contributions that had been made since the last meeting.
  • The documentation is still incomplete. People who want to contribute should submit pull requests with the changes they would like to submit. The best practices repo is open, and both pull requests and reviews are appreciated!

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#best-practices, #documentation, #notes, #testing, #weekly-hosting-chat

Hosting Meeting Notes: August 23, 2017

Here’s the summary of our meeting in #hosting-community on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 1700 UTC (Slack archive).

Distributed Testing

  • This became live on make/hosting last week, and there are now two hosts participating.
  • @danielbachhuber notes that we should run a beta program for more hosts to work through process before wide promotion. If you work at a host and are interested in getting the WordPress automated test suite running, please ping @danielbachhuber for more details.
  • The primary concerns are around the process for what to do when a failure occurs — how hosts get notified, and what the process should be for for getting them fixed, so we’ll be working through that during beta.

Hosting Best Practices Documentation

Feedback

Miss this week’s meeting and want to discuss the initiatives above? Spend some time in the comments and share your thoughts!

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in #hosting-community on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 1700 UTC. Hope to see you then!

#best-practices, #documentation, #notes, #testing, #weekly-hosting-chat