This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agenda, slack transcript). This meeting was held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel on Wednesday, 12 May 2021, 10:00 AM EDT and was facilitated by @itjusteileen.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Version 10.6
Gutenberg 10.6 was released 12 May and is available for download. Take a look at What’s new in Gutenberg 10.6 for full details.
The monthly post outlining Gutenberg’s priorities for May 2021 is available.
Global Styles —
Full report from @nosolosw Issue 20331
@getdave Mostly focused on work to improve consistency and reliability between Nav editor and block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.. Also lots of effort going into improving UX User experience by surfacing unsaved changes to users. Would particularly like to draw attention to a proposal to add a
@wordpress/menus package in order to share data logic between Nav Editor and Block. Any input here much appreciated.
@Andrei has a call out for testing
@annezazu As a reminder, the sixth call for testing will ship today focused on template editing mode (making some final changes). This is a very high impact test to participate in as we get closer to 5.8. Jump into #fse-outreach-experiment if you’re keen to join in on the fun
@chipsynder We shipped: Custom header The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. support in block picker, as well as better animation PR 30291
- Shipping in the next day or so is the work for the Mobile Slash inserter PR 29772
- We had Some translation The process (or result) of changing text, words, and display formatting to support another language. Also see localization, internationalization. pipeline fixes PR 3423
- Our in progress projects are:
- RN upgrade to 0.64.x
- Editor On Boarding
- Global Style Support – Colors
- Reusable blocks
- Adding search to the block inserter
- Embed block
- iOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. share extension
We’re also working on:
- Gallery Block Refactor PR 26823 – Our main hurtle here is investigating a way to prevent data loss for users who have an older Gutenberg version on device but a newer version on their site.
- Finally fixed the issue, which should help us land unsaved changes notification for users.
- I’m also trying to figure out which endpoint makes more sense to handle menu location assignments. You can see the discussion here, and any feedback is appreciated.
- also helped with PR reviews and fixed few issues for Widgets Screen.
Could we get some quick eyes on PR 31755 and PR 31754 they should be included in a patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. for Gutenberg 10.6.
Primarily on the nav block and adjacent patterns. Excited to have helped Vicente with a hamburger menu feature that should land very soon. Will help with a few followups after that.
@paaljoachim Need some eyes on Improving multi-entity saving UI method and how to handle the discard option.