CCOC project meeting notes –19th September

The group met in the #community-team Slack to review the following things:

  • nail down a workflow
  • make some decisions about how to move forward
  • how to manage time
  • set some loose deadlines
  • decide on the CCOC meeting time, date and frequency.

The notes will go in order of what happened:

Agendas: Nail down a workflow, make some decisions about how to move forward, & set some loose deadlines

We reviewed the proposed workflow document and flowchart from @mor10. We noted that it was lacking any deadlines, and proceeded to have a discssuon on that. We wanted to reframe from setting any deadlines which were too tight or or unachieveable whilst keeping momentum.

The conclusion was made to set a general benchmark of 4 weeks for each phase, decide on a roadmap for the first 3 or 4 phases today and reevaluate for the next phases later on. This would give us some data in regards to how long things take for the group.

  • Phrase 1 – Discovery : 4 weeks – Note we’re at the start of week 3 currently.
  • Phrase 2 – Research : 4 weeks
  • Phrase 3 – Motivation & Goals : 4 weeks
  • Phrase 4 – Pre-Mortem 1 – 2 weeks

Proposal

If no one has any objections to the deadlines above being added to the workflow, then we will add them in and save the whole workflow as a PDF and upload them here. This is to ensure that there is a hard copy of the workflow that is not editable.

If there are no objections to this in the comments of this post, by the 26th September, I will assume everyone is in favour and move forward with the proposed.

Agenda : how to manage time & decide on the CCOC meeting time, date and frequency

The group is currently made of people from all over the globe – specifically – Europe, Japan and West Coast America.

We reviewed the time date and frequency of the meetings based on having enough time to slot the project into our busy lives.

The day and frequency were fine for everyone who was at the meeting.

The current meeting time meant that for people joining in Japan, it was 2AM.

We have worked out a better meeting team for the group would be 15:00 UTC .

Proposal

We want to propose that starting with the next meeting on the 3rd October, that meetings will start at 15:00 UTC with a two week frequency.

If there are no objections to this in the comments of this post, by the 26th September, then we will assume that the new time is suitable for all.

To do for our next meeting

As we’re still in our discovery stage, we are still looking for more links to more articles, research and COCs from inside and outside our community to be added to the research spreadsheet.

We are also looking for comments  from  the community on any fo the links, so it would be great if people can take the time to share any issues they have and any comments they have on the information we have found so far.


If I have missed anything from the meeting please correct me in the comments below and I’ll update them.

Thanks for reading these notes. Any comments, ideas, suggestions , as always, welcomed below.

#ccoc

CCOC project meeting notes – 5th September

I am super sorry that these notes didn’t go up earlier.

In the last week, i have learnt to post notes straight after a meeting or it never happens.


Recap of the meeting we had on the Community-Team Slack channel.

  • We introduced ourselves and said what our interest in the project was.
  • Discussed researching Cocs as part of discovery.
    Three labels were suggested as topics that the research can be catergorised into
    1. Document existing CoCs
    2. Document CoC issues/stories etc
    3. Anti-group – document concerns around CoC
  • There is now an open spreadsheet with the three tabs as suggestions.
  • We had a discussion also about whether we should keep our chats in the Community-team channel or move it to a Community-coc channel. There are pros and cons to both.The people who are attending from the APAC region have said they would prefer it to be in a different channel so that the conversation can be kept asynchonlosy. @pento has pointed out that p2 can be where conversations are asyc.

    It is a pro that it is visible in the community-team chat, but there is the downside that people from other teams may not want to be in the community-team chat for everything else that happens in the channel and thus leave the channel.

    Considering that the CCOC project is meant to be not just for the community-team but for the whole WordPress project to see what, where, if and how it is applied, I would like to hear more from others on whether we should or should not branch to another channel.|

  • There was a suggestion that the group meets this week ( actually now today ) specifically to
    • nail down a workflow
    • make some decisions about how to move forward
    • how to manage time
    • set some loose deadlines
    • decide on the CCOC meeting time, date and frequency.

Todo:

The first aim of the project is to add any COC research links to the spreadsheet in the tab that it should be grouped under.

We are looking for breadths of opinions, research, situations where a COC may have been valuable and also where as a COC has caused harm.

We also want research into COC – like policies from other industries and the space that they are defined for.

Next meeting – reviewing workflow

There is also the aim of the next meetup ( Today at 17:00 UTC) to review the workflow that has been suggested as a starting point.

Due to the nature of the late posting of these meetup notes, I want to suggest that we push the workflow meeting one week to allow everyone to review the links and documents below.

Thank you @mor10 for spending the time to suggest a workflow. We can use this as a base to edit to our needs so that we do not need to start from a blank sheet of paper.

The workflow comes in two parts. A flow diagram and a write up.

It would be great if people attending the CCOC workflow meeting read the documents and leave comments or bring their ideas and concerns to the meeting.

I do apologies for the Pacific Time zone peopel who may be getting up early for this meeting. My tariness should not have affected you or this project. I will move forward and aim to do better.

#ccoc

Community Conduct Project – Kick off meeting scheduled for 17:00 UTC on the 5th September 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for everyone who replied to the proposal for the WordPress Community Conduct Project. We have recieved lots of great feedback and positivity towards the project both in person at WordCamp Europe and online.

We’re kicking off the project on the 5th September 2017 17:00 UTC on the WordPress Slack #community channel

Please see update post for more details..

We will spend some of the time during the meeting to discuss when the best time to meet will be for everyone who wants to participate in the project.

We look forward to seeing you all there!

#ccoc

Proposal: WordPress Community Conduct Project

Update: We’re kicking off the project on the 5th September 2017 at 17:00 UTC on the WordPress Slack #community channel

Please see update post for more details.

In 2012 a Code of Conduct was introduced for official WordPress events to make WordCamps safer and more inclusive. It is now applied to all WordCamps worldwide and anyone who attends a WordCamp automatically agrees to it.

Since the Code of Conduct was first introduced, the community has grown and diversified.

At the 2015 Community Summit, a group discussed expanding the scope of the WordCamp Code of Conduct to apply to the WordPress community as a whole. Work on such a Community Code of Conduct has been ongoing since early 2013, and a ticket was created in 2015, but no finalized version has ever been presented to the community and ratified.

The WordCamp Code of Conduct has been active for 5 years as a tool to promote the safety and inclusion of all community members at WordCamps world wide. The Community Conduct Project aims to expand the scope of the Code of Conduct to promote the same values of safety and inclusion in all official community spaces including WordCamps, WordPress Meetups, official fora and websites including comment sections, and official chat channels (specifically Slack and IRC).

Proposal

Everything needs a starting point, so this began as a proposal by Jenny Wong and Morten Rand-Hendriksen, and reviewed by various community members.

We would like to now take this opportunity to share this project proposal with you all, the amazing WordPress community.

We propose a new Community Conduct Project to update the WordCamp Code of Conduct and expand its scope to become a WordPress Community Code of Conduct (CCoC).

The Project has two main goals:

a) Create a CCoC, to be posted on WordPress.org, promoting safety and inclusion for all community members in community spaces,

and

b) create a system for reporting, handling, and resolution of CCoC-related issues as they arise.

To meet these goals, several questions need to be answered including:

  • Who can be called a “WordPress Community Member”?
  • In what spaces does the CCoC apply?
  • Under what circumstances can a person be considered to be acting as a community member?
  • What values and ideals would a CCOC protect?
  • Based on these values and ideals, what is the baseline assumption a person can expect whilst being in a WP space.
  • What spaces, physical or virtual, are considered “community spaces” in which all members can be expected to promote and/or adhere to these values and ideals and any agreed upon community guidelines derived from them?

The answers to these questions will help inform the process of drafting a new CCoC, a system for reporting, handling, and resolving issues, which will become the enforcement procedures based on WordPress community values.

The work will be done in three phases:

  • Phase 1: Community review and input on the existing Code of Conduct including a survey for the community to participate in.
  • Phase 2: Review and categorize feedback.
  • Phase 3: Draft a revised Code of Conduct based on feedback from Phases 1 and 2.

The first task of the project will be to gather data about the current Code of Conduct. As a starting point, we have prepared a draft for a survey to be discussed by the group at the first meeting. This survey will be published publicly to learn more about how the current CoC is used in the real world.

Join In

Any and all community members are encouraged to provide input and/or join the project, no previous skills or experience required. In particular, we are seeking diverse voices so if you identify as a member of a diverse, underrepresented, or marginalized group you are encouraged to join.

All meetings will be conducted in the #community-team Slack channel, and minutes published on the Make Community blog to ensure full transparency using the tag CCOC. Working documents will be available for review by the community throughout the project and these will be linked at the end of each post.

If you or someone you know are interested in contributing to this project, please leave a comment below providing a rough ideal time in UTC format, which timezone you are based in and join the #community-team channel. Before scheduling a regular meeting time, we will review the ideal times and timezones of interested community members, to ensure everyone can take part.

Thanks for reading  <3

#ccoc, #proposal