The Formatting component primarily consists of formatting.php in wp-includes. This file contains various escaping and sanitization functions, and other functions for both security and formatting text. This includes two infamous functions with storied WordPress histories, wpautop() and wptexturize(). Formatting also includes kses.php, WordPress’s HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. security filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output..
Changes to the Formatting functions generally require extensive unit testing and a consensus of lead developers. This tends to happen with deliberation across two or more versions. The easiest way to contribute to this component is to write bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. reports or unit tests for existing code. Remember, all security matters should be reported according to the Security FAQ and are not part of the public Formatting information.
Projects for the 4.4 milestone will focus on supporting the Shortcode A shortcode is a placeholder used within a WordPress post, page, or widget to insert a form or function generated by a plugin in a specific location on your site. API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. Roadmap, which is deeply entwined with almost every facet of the Formatting functions. Large changes and many bug fixes are needed, and in some ways will also be made possible by the Shortcode plans.
197 open tickets in the Formatting component
197 open tickets. Last 7 days: -1 ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker.
37 tickets that have no replies
View list on Trac
- #34039 shortcode_parse_atts() no longer parses embedded html fragments
- #36124 Format: Aside next to an embedded video, removes player and only displays URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org
- #36397 add_query_arg doesn't work with numbered html entities
- #36712 Paragraph tags removed from div elements if script tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.) is present
- #37077 Replacing one variable handler for another to ensure proper conditional check occurs 100%.
- #39188 Wrapping paragraph tags around 'Read More' link stripped out of custom post type WordPress can hold and display many different types of content. A single item of such a content is generally called a post, although post is also a specific post type. Custom Post Types gives your site the ability to have templated posts, to simplify the concept.
- #39190 RSS feed RSS is an acronym for Real Simple Syndication which is a type of web feed which allows users to access updates to online content in a standardized, computer-readable format. This is the feed. not valid: U+001A or 0x1a
- #39674 Special characters are encoded in the database, for site settings options administration
- #39724 Defining custom validation callbacks for tag/attribute values in wp_kses()
- #39847 force_balance_tags not properly balancing < with <strong> and </strong> ui
- #40045 HTML code entered using "Text" mode gets garbled
- #40552 Calling wp_parse_args() early, with $args as empty string, may cause fatal error
- #40569 next_post_link parameters $format and $link, have default values that produce awkward to use output
- #42058 Unit test Code written to test a small piece of code or functionality within a larger application. Everything from themes to WordPress core have a series of unit tests. Also see regression. for _autop_newline_preservation_helper()
- #42182 esc_js must escape U+2028 and U+2029
- #43155 Formatting bug with ampasands – WooCommerce Layered Nav
- #43156 _walk_bookmarks(): please add the link id as HTML id attribute.
- #43205 Allow filtering the list of characters to be replaced by wptexturize
- #46846 Tight comparisons and use of Yoda conditions are not consistent coding-standards
- #47557 Sanitize Email Suggestion
- #48873 CSS Cascading Style Sheets. Selectors in style tags containing greater than signs are escaped
- #49217 HTML error with the multi-level list in Classic Editor
- #49492 wpautop inserted p tags inconsistently alter visual space
- #49965 wptexturize should also work when using before hook after_theme_setup
- #53023 _wp_json_convert_string type mismatch: returns string on success; false on failure docs
- #53041 colors.css is using the old blue. css administration
- #53096 Color Settings include alpha channel for transparency
- #53160 PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher 7.4 map_deep compatibility issue
- #53815 safecss_filter_attr removes styles with min() max() and minmax()
- #54721 wptexturize caches the result of run_wptexturize preventing themes from using this if a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party has already called get_plugin_data
- #56656 Move accent removal from `sanitize_title_with_dashes()` to `remove_accents()`
- #57381 Filter wptexturize brokes tailwindcss brackets
- #57434 Extending the list of supported inline CSS properties allowed by safe_style_css
8 tickets slated for 6.2
View list in Trac
- #13340 wpautop breaks inline MathML accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)
- #47164 map_deep in formatting.php do not handle null-byte
- #54488 wp_filter_nohtml_kses does not remove HTML comments docs
- #55257 map_deep() function incompatibility with incomplete objects in PHP 8.0+
- #55996 the get_the_block_template_html call all the same functions as the the_conent filter so they are run twice performance
- #56434 Check that the input is a string in wp_strip_all_tags()
- #57242 Remove redundant dot in sanitize_file_name function
- #57504 Add position CSS properties in safe_style_css filter
197 open tickets
Open enhancements: 49 View list on Trac
Open tasks: 0 View list on Trac
Open feature requests: 8 View list on Trac
Help maintain this component
Many contributors help maintain one or more components. These maintainers are vital to keeping WordPress development running as smoothly as possible. They triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. new tickets, look after existing ones, spearhead or mentor tasks, pitch new ideas, curate roadmaps, and provide feedback to other contributors. Longtime maintainers with a deep understanding of particular areas of Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. are always seeking to mentor others to impart their knowledge.
Want to help? Start following this component! Adjust your notifications here. Feel free to dig into any ticket.
Contributors following this component: