- You probably noticed, but @designsimply did two usability tests with the front-end editor. One. Two. Main problems:
- The “save” button seems to be hard to find.
- The featured image area needs to be more descriptive.
- Gallery previews have recently been added to trunk by @gcorne. I’ve been trying to implement the same plugin with the front-end editor, but since templates are used instead of the actual shortcode output, it will need to be adjusted. After all, we’re trying to make an accurate WYSIWYG editor. #52
- Currently edit links on the front-end link to the front-end editor, and edit links on the back-end to the back-end editor. It’d be better if there was a drop down in the admin bar to choose which editor you’d like to use (?), but how should both editors be described? ‘Edit in admin’ and ‘Edit not on the front-end’ might make sense to us, but probably not to the average user. #53
- The ‘meta modal‘ needs to improve. It’s a bit too clunky. It might be better to have a (collapsable) side bar with collapsed meta boxes (a bit like the customiser). Needs mock ups.
- We should experiment with an inline toolbar (one that pops up after selecting text). I think this would only be useful in addition to the main toolbar, since it cannot have all the tools the main toolbar has. Needs mock ups.
- Mobile: the editor works on small screens, but doesn’t have a TinyMCE toolbar. It should have one, or at least one with a few tools. Needs mock ups. #14
Recent Updates Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
Janneke Van Dorpe is discussing. Toggle Comments
Hello! If you have a minute, please take this super quick media survey for us.
- No trouble finding the Edit link inline, editing a title, or adding a paragraph
- Lots of difficulty saving
- Difficulty adding a new post
- Featured image area is not clear
- Back button results in lost edits
- Difficulty adding a link (back-end editor)
- Difficulty adding an image (back-end editor)
You can download the full video here: deaea9a3.mp4.
Points of Confusion
Difficulty saving (Length: 1:56)
Difficulty adding a new post on the front end (Length: 0:42)
Featured image area looks like a place you can “write something” (Length: 0:07)
Back button exits the editor without saving and without a prompt (Length: 0:06)
Help Overview refactoring
@brainfork has been ill and was unable to work on this this week. @jazzs3quence created tickets for some of the issues that were reported in https://github.com/jazzsequence/WordPress-Admin-Help/issues/50 many of which were things that @brainfork was planning to work on. See:
@clorith is going to work on refactoring the tooltip structure a bit to make it more flexible for devs and give us more options for tooltip styles.
@trishasalas will be working on some new styles for the tooltips
Between the two of them, we’re hoping to nail:
Admin Help Inventory spreadsheet
@ubernaut has added tooltip locations to the Pages admin pages in the spreadsheet we’re using to keep track of such things. He will work on adding the actual TinyMCE formatting buttons this week.
We’ve set a tentative target date for April 1. This will give us time to test the plugin and fix any issues before the discussion begins about WordPress 4.0 feature plugins.
To meet this target, we need help:
- adding tooltips — though this process may be changing, the changes should make things easier and we can help with the transition — mostly we need new tooltips to be added (or at least written) for all the elements (that have not been added already) in the spreadsheet (or for anything else that’s missing that isn’t included)
- testers — we’d love to have more testers look at this and let us know if/when they find any issues
If either of these things sound like ways in which you could contribute, you can let us know in the Google Group, in the comments of this post, or in our Monday meeting.
Our next meeting is next Monday 18:30UTC.
- Misses the “Edit Post” link in the toolbar completely but finds the inline “Edit” link
- Struggles to figure out how to save changes
- Secondary editor functions are hard to find
- Unable to find the tag icon in the toolbar
- No trouble adding or modifying content and links
This is a great first look, so I would recommend watching the entire video through. (Length: 8:45)
You can download the full video: c41ea9a3.mp4.
Not much to report this time since I’ve been away since the last meeting. Everything has been moved to GitHub, so new tickets should now be added there. I also added Grunt with jshint. @samuelsidler asked @designsimply to do some user tests. Exciting!
The next meeting will be Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 17:00 UTC, hopefully with a lot of updates to share.
Cross-posted from make/docs
Help Overview refactoring
@brainfork was going to work on this but didn’t have the time. He was able to review the code though, but no progress has been made. @trishasalas has stepped up to help out with this. They will be taking a look at the issues reported in this ticket (moving help footer over) as well as this ticket (text next to dashicons are not aligned vertically) and creating new tickets for any other issues that come up.
Tooltip hover delay
@clorith reported that the tooltips were sometimes taking the focus away from the actual item. he then submitted a pull request which has been merged that increases the hover delay. This will be included in the next version in the WordPress.org repository.
Tooltip arrow positioning
…is still an issue for some tooltips which is mostly to do with not having good selectors to work with (not everything in the WordPress admin has IDs or classes associated with them). @trishasalas is going to look at this, but since this could be done completely differently in core by just adding more specific ids to the things that need tooltips, I’ve given it a lower priority. @trishasalas may try to do at least one admin page, though, as a proof-of-concept.
Because I can’t consider this plugin “done” (and therefore 1.0) until tooltips are on every page, and because we’re going to run out of digits if we keep going at the 0.x rate for every weekly update, and because looking at a plugin in the repo that has a 0.x version looks less like a completed entity than a 1.x release, we’ve agreed to tweak how the versioning is handled a bit to make better use of minor point release versions. Updates with minor fixes or new tooltips will be considered a 0.0.x release, more significant changes will be a 0.x release. There was some discussion about this that can be read in the logs, but the main reasoning is that it seems misleading to call something a 1.0 if it’s still incomplete (in this case, missing tooltips) and we’d be at a 1.0 in 4 weeks at our current rate.
Admin Help Inventory spreadsheet
@ubernaut will work on tackling the Pages…pages next in the spreadsheet having just finished filling out the Network Admin screens.
@nikv has started work on adding tooltips to the comments page but that has not been merged into the plugin yet.
Tooltips on Mobile
We’ve decided to go with the tap-and-hold interaction for tooltips on mobile devices. This takes a lower priority to getting the tooltips in and no work has been done on it yet, but if someone would like to tackle it, let us know by commenting in the open ticket here: https://github.com/jazzsequence/WordPress-Admin-Help/issues/32
The logging bot was having a fit, so here’s my copy of the logs from the meeting (the first 15 minutes are cut off, unfortunately): http://s3q.us/log/ah-o2-log-2014-02-24.html
- We decided to move the development to git and GitHub, hopefully that makes it easier for people to contribute! @kraftbj will port over the existing Trac tickets and then we’ll use GitHub as our bug tracker.
- Not many updates this week, I’ve only been working on post locking and a responsive admin bar.
We’ll be releasing 0.7 this week. New in this update are initial tooltips for the sidebar menu items & tooltips on the Users pages.
@ubernaut will continue to work on the spreadsheet with a focus on identifying areas for new tooltips. This makes it easier when adding the tooltips in the plugin to know where best to place them. The next area for focus for the spreadsheet will be the Network Admin screens. I recently opened the document up to anyone with a link to make it easier for people to jump in, flesh out areas that are bare, or claim admin pages to add tooltips to without requiring an owner to invite them to be able to edit the spreadsheet.
@nikv has volunteered to help out with adding tooltips also.
I’ve updated the tooltip documentation somewhat to add some additional details/guidance for adding new tooltips. Feedback (or edits) are welcome.
One thing that wasn’t discussed this week (although there’s a ticket) is the fact that the arrow location for some tooltips is pointing to the wrong place. My suspicion is that this is largely a CSS issue (or an issue that can be solved with CSS) and anyone who wants to jump in and take a stab at that is welcome. There are a variety of places where this is the case and may need to be styled individually. The main issue is a lack of specific IDs/classes to hook the tooltips onto, which could be conceivably solved in core by adding specific classes/ids to those elements.
Our next meeting will be next Monday 18:30UTC
I’d love to hear what kinds of thoughts/suggestions you guys have to the overall UX of the plugin/feature. At this point, things are pretty set and we’re mostly working on adding more content but I’m eager to know if there are things that we could be doing different/better.