Design meeting summary for Thursday April 19, 2018

You can find this weeks design meeting transcription here on Slack, or jump to different topic discussions by using the links in the document following.

Housekeeping

>Design team related

  • No new topics

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

  • Improve Trello board Organization
    Mindmantra says that currently, the design trello board is divided in silos without any predefined workflow. And is somewhat murky if someone without history with it arrives on it. @karmatosed says that the way we use the Trello board, is a little different from a project / product and that both systems can be hard for new contributors to handle. We have an extensive discussion on this topic, concluding this is part of the Onboarding ‘problem’ we have and should be worked on. @boemedia mentions the fact that onboarding in design isn’t a quick thing and we need to set expectations that it takes time to start actively contributing.
  • Dark mode
    Design eyes are requested for the WordPress dark mode plugin, which now is a plugin, but in the near future hopefully a core feature. More info on the plugin can be found on either Github or Trac.
    A few good examples of dark mode are discussed, like Instapaper or Twitter. The thought is, that this isn’t that much of an accessibility thing, but more about the looks. A turn on/turn off switch would be a really nice thing to have.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

Items labelled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

There wasn’t enough time to give proper feedback on both tickets, so we decided on starting next Monday’s ticket triage with these two.

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • No time to go through older cards.

Thanks everyone for actively attending the meeting, especially first timers. It was a constructive and productive meeting and we hope to see everyone again next week, same time!

 

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design meeting agenda for Thursday April 19, 2018

Hi all! The weekly design meeting will be this Thursday at 17.00 UTC (see it in your time). We’ll be discussing the topics below, but you can comment on this post to add additional meeting topics. Please join us on Slack.

Housekeeping

Design team related

  • No new topics

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • do any cards need discussion?
  • can cards be archived or moved forward in another way?

Items labelled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • what needs some attention?

#meeting-agenda

Design meeting agenda for Thursday 5 April, 2018

Hi all! The weekly design meeting will be this Thursday at 17.00 UTC (see it in your time). We’ll be discussing the topics below, but you can comment on this post to add additional meeting topics. Please join us on Slack.

Housekeeping

Design team related

  • Quarterly Check in – What is the team’s one-sentence top priority right now (and what’s the ETA)? What struggles is the team having? What is one thing you are all proud of so far this year?

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • do any cards need discussion?

Items labelled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • no requests this week

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • what needs some attention?

#meeting-agenda

#meeting-agenda

Design meeting summary March 29, 2018

Agenda for the meeting.

Housekeeping

WordPress remote design summit

  • We want to do an online summit for anyone interested in design for WordPress. John Maeda would like to support bringing this together; Tammie Lister walked through some initial ideas for making this happen. Inspired by a similar effort.
  • The details are still up for discussion, but the basic idea is a summit where anyone can contribute to a specific design goal that the community has agreed on.
  • Starting out the goal will likely be focused on improving consistency across the the experience of using WordPress for creating.
  • To make this as simple as possible we want to make it a one hour summit that anyone can attend online. Follow the Trello card.

Slack/Trello integration

  • Since we’re working in Trello and keeping it updated with statuses we’d like to see how an integration between Slack and Trello could make our lives easier.
  • It’s important though that this not be over complicated and that we avoid adding noise to Slack. We’ll work to keep Trello updates in Slack to a minimum.

WordPress.org access to InVision!

  • Are you part of the design team for WordPress.org? Are you interested in helping out more? This might be the perfect incentive to jump in, try something out, and show your work.
  • You can request access on the Trello board.

Calls for Design

  • .org registration page – We decided to archive this card since we couldn’t remember what it was for :). Great example of having cards in the future get all the details they need before moving them forward.
  • Growth council pages – Looking for an update, still in waiting mode to know how we should proceed.
  • WordCamp design practices – Would love some help on getting this moved forward! Great opportunity for someone looking to jump in.

Requests to review existing tickets

Create browse happy type notice for PHP Versions

  • We had a great example of a task come up that needs some design help, but we’re not quite sure how to proceed. We are going to move it to meeting discussion next week so we can see the best way to help.
  • However, it does show a bigger opportunity we have for clearer communication between teams. For instance, if you’re on another team and want Design help, what’s the best way to ask for it? If you’re on the Design team and picking up a task, what info do you need to know? Great challenge that we’ll continue to work on!

Follow-up on older cards

If you’re reading this note, and aren’t yet part of the design team (and want to be) it’s really easy! All you have to do is jump in Slack, join the Design channel and drop a message that you’d like to help out. That’s it. Come join us 🙂

#meeting-notes

Design meeting agenda for Thursday 29 March, 2018

Hi all! The weekly design meeting will be at 18.00 UTC (see it in your time). We’ll be discussing the topics below, but you can comment on this post to add additional meeting topics. Please join us.

Housekeeping

Design team related

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

  • nothing this week

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • do any cards need discussion?

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

  • nothing this week

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • no requests this week

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • what needs some attention?

#meeting-agenda

All .org designers now can get access to Invision

As was posted a few weeks ago and covered in the weekly design meeting, @johnmaeda working with Invision, has arranged for us all to have access! This is really cool and a great opportunity for this community. I am sure I reflect everyone’s feelings in saying a big thank you to everyone that helped make this happen ❤️This is such an amazing thing for an open source project to have this kind of tool for everyone to use.

Invision is a shared tool that can really help us all working on .org projects. It is a powerful prototyping system and you can learn more about it here.

To get access, please use this form. We would also encourage everyone to get access to our Trello board for tasks to work on, oncer you do have access. You can join that board using this handy link.

.org design is growing, having better processes and tools is part of that growth 🌱

Different meeting times due to European daylight saving time

A short notice to let you all know that, due to European Daylight Saving Time, our meeting times now have changed:

Meetings

We meet and have ongoing discussions in Slack

Design ticket triage: Monday 16:30 UTC in #design
Design weekly meeting: Thursday 17:00 UTC in #design

Design meeting agenda for Thursday 22 March, 2018

Housekeeping

Design team related

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • no requests this week

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

#meeting-agenda

Design meeting summary March 15, 2018

Agenda for the meeting: https://make.wordpress.org/design/2018/03/14/design-meeting-agenda-for-thursday-15-march-2018/

Housekeeping

Topic: Lack of feedback from calls for design – We held off on this since we’d like Mel and Tammie to be able to weigh in next week on it.

Triage inbox

Documentation for dashicons:https://trello.com/c/3RyJhtWc  – There’s been back and forth on how to contribute with Dashicons, and we agreed it’d be helpful to pull all that together into a guide on how to contribute.

It would include steps on:

  • How to request a Dashicon
  • How to contribute a Dashicon, including which icons need designs
  • Where to submit final artwork for review, etc.

We hope to have clarity to outline it in the near future.

Next steps are to brainstorm this in Trello, make sure that the team working on Washicons can weigh in, then draft a page in the handbook (https://make.wordpress.org/design/handbook/)

Calls for design

Calls for design cont.

  • Great news! @khleomix did a quick and excellent job for marketing for the Trac ticket overview! The card has now been archived.
  • Going forward we want to find a way to break down large calls for designs into manageable pieces. Great example where this was done: https://trello.com/c/g4t5MGtD/73-plugin-headers-and-icons
  • The next step is to ideally write a blog post with tips on how to construct a call for design, and how to break it down into smaller pieces. @cathibosco plans to work on a draft for this.
  • If anyone is interested feel free to own the process of breaking down an existing call for design into smaller pieces.

#meeting-notes

Design meeting agenda for Thursday 15 March, 2018

Hi everyone! On Thursday, it’s time for the weekly design meeting at 18.00 UTC (see it in your time). We’ll be discussing the topics below. If you have any other design related questions, please feel free to join us.

You can also comment on this post for additional meeting topics.

Housekeeping

Design team related

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

#meeting-agenda