Design meeting summary April 5, 2018

This was the agenda, and you can find the transcription here on Slack.

Housekeeping

  • Quarterly check-in
    • What is the team’s one-sentence top priority right now? After much discussion, we distilled it down to: The design team’s top priority for this year is team building and empowering designers to contribute, and we continue to focus on supporting core.
    • What struggles is the team having?
      • we will discuss Trello organization next week including an example shared by Dhaval

Triage Inbox

Calls for design

  • Dhaval is working on #1658-meta which needs UI to show Events Calendar on make.wordpress.org/meetings page. He needs design input.
  • Mel confirmed that there is no WordPress calendar view, so we’d need to build one
  • Inspiration from examples like Bootstrap?
  • Taking one step back, the content is not very findable now. Monique noted: “instead of discussing the way it’s presented, I’d say discuss the function and place of the list in the first place.”

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

We ran out of time, so WP Online Summit pt. 1 will be moved to next week.

#1658-meta, #meeting-notes

Design meeting summary March 22, 2018

Find the transcription here on Slack.  The links on the main topics will jump straight to where this item was discussed in the meeting.

Housekeeping

Design team related

  • Lack of feedback from Calls for design
    A few designers had a negative experience when callers for design never properly got back after designs were delivered. As a team, we feel the need to inform people who call for design how we’d like to proceed.
    We’re opting on setting up a guide on how the design process takes place and what can be expected from the designers, but also what we expect from the one who calls for the design. @boemedia will start a draft in Google docs, and after iteration it will move over to the handbook so we can point to this document when someone calls for design.

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • no requests this week

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

Final question by @boemedia about the Invision licenses. What’s the status? @karmatosed says we have it and she will write a post and explain how designers can get a license.

#meeting-notes

 

#meeting-notes

Contributor Afternoon Antwerp 2018 – Design table recap

On 2 and 3 March 2018, WordCamp Antwerp (Belgium) was held for the second time. We had around 50 people attending the Contributor Afternoon. The focus for this day was on Core, Documentation, Support, Community, Polyglots and Design.

It was my first time as a design table lead, and we had four people in total attending the design table in various shifts. After a short introduction and explaining about the communication and documentation structure we currently use on Slack, Trac, Trello and the Design blog on make.wordpress.org, we looked into what tickets or projects could be worked on during the afternoon.

First, we looked at the expertise present at the table, and what people would like to do. We looked at the call for design for icons and plugin headers, but good documentation on this call was missing (at the time of writing this is improved and clarified on Trello by @cathibosco), so we moved on. Since one of the attendees wasn’t a designer but had loads of marketing experience, he looked into trac tickets he could give UI/UX-feedback on. In total, 5 tickets were responded to.

Another attendee had both design and development experience, and worked on new dashicons. Thanks to @empireoflight for responding very quickly to the new contributor’s questions via Slack, 2 fixes were made for dashicons.

Toon, Gijs and Monique at contributor day antwerp 2018

Toon, Gijs and Monique at Contributor Day Antwerp 2018

By the end of the afternoon, we had 2 more people joining the design table and we discussed what type of work is done by the design team. There’s still a misunderstanding that design is only about ‘making something look nice’ and that you cannot contribute if you can’t draw. We busted this myth together, emphasising that contributing to the WordPress design team means contributing to the overall user experience of people using WordPress.

In the end, we evaluated the afternoon and talked about how easy people find it to contribute to design. Overall, contributors said they really needed the explanation given this afternoon on the used channels and their purpose. As well, the long list of blogs on the make.wordpress.org/design landing page isn’t very inviting to read through.

We concluded that it had been an educating and interesting afternoon and people were inspired to continue to contribute online.

 

Design meeting summary January 18

TL;DR – We just had a really productive meeting where we touched on design needs, adding some structure to the work the design team is doing, as well as reporting on all the awesome stuff getting done. Interested in helping? There’s something here for you!

Below are the exciting things we covered in the meeting!

Calls for design

We’re looking for help, if you think you’re a match please reach out! If you have a call for design yourself you can add it as a comment on this post or join the weekly #design meeting and we can discuss after covering other items.

  • Design a featured imageA new blog post is will spread the word about make.wordpress.org to encourage folks jumping in and helping. The marketing needs someone to design a featured image for the blog post.
  • Design interface for plugin/theme compatibility with Gutenberg in WordPress admin – Now that Gutenberg is getting closer we need a way to reflect in the WordPress admin whether a plugin or theme is compatible with Gutenberg. This is a perfect ticket for a designer who’s interested in supporting a few hours a week for the next month on UX work related to sketching out ideas and figuring out how this would look.
  • PHP Servehappy project – Servehappy had been officially approved as a feature project for WordPress. We need a designer to work with the development team on what a page would look like talking about this project. In particular the design needs to present this linked content. The person doesn’t have to be technical as that could ensure the target market is reached correctly. However, it’s important that they are able to connect with the development team to bridge the gap of communication between what the team is building create and what users need.
  • Create a dashicon for WordPress Coding Standards. We need someone to create a new dashicon! That’s a ton of fun for the right person. You can more about dashicons here and here and here’s a tutorial on making one. If you’re interested this could be perfect for you.
  • Improve the content of the Grey Box™ on the Design page – It’s supposed to be a welcome to the team and sharing more about how to get started. Link to edit screen.
  • Plugin search – The team is working to identify what information will be good to use for filters and how to present that information. The plugin directory has been recently redesigned, so it will be important to take that into consideration (and not undo all that work) when helping the team add search filtering to the design.

If you’re interested in helping reach out to Tammie Lister or Mel Choyce and they can connect you. Or you can comment in the Slack channel on the specific request (make sure to checkmark “also send to #design” if you do, so that it doesn’t get missed: https://d.pr/i/ExTJ3o)

Structure of the design team

  • Trello board – We’ve created a Trello board to handle any issues that aren’t in Trac or Github. We had a great discussion about how the Trello board can be structured, how cards can be labeled, etc and ended on a good point for today. We’ll also discussed the need for folks to post to it. This board could ultimately replace the calls for design page on Make, with that page linking back to the Trello board.
  • We also have a Start Here card that will need some love. Then whatever happens here should get updated back into the design handbook.
  • It was also noted that it could be helpful for handbooks to start looking more like the Gutenberg one.

Monthly recaps

We’re going to start moving from weekly calls for design updates to instead posting a monthly summary based on the weekly #design meetings.@joshuawold and @boemedia will post the summary, and if a third person wants to help out we won’t say no! 🙂

Next steps

If you’re still reading this, and haven’t yet felt you can make a contribution to the design of WordPress, we can emphatically answer that you can! It might feel a bit overwhelming on where to start, the easiest way is to join the next #design meeting and look for an opportunity to give your support, or grab one of the calls for design issues above and jump in.

#meeting-notes

Design meeting agenda for Februari 8

Housekeeping

Design team related

Calls for design

See column in Trello roadmap. Requests via the Make blog, Slack, etc. 

Items labelled ready for meeting discussion

Filter Trello roadmap for ‘meeting’ label

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac

Triage items from Inbox

See Inbox column in Trello roadmap.

If time allows

See Trello roadmap.

  • Triage other columns or follow-up on older cards

 

Feel free to leave a comment and we can discuss anything people want.

See you in the #design channel in Slack

#meeting-agenda

New design team reps

Please join me in congratulating @boemedia, @joshuawold and @mizejewski on becoming team reps for design. You all have been doing an awesome job focusing and improving the communication of the design team. Thank you and let’s join in welcoming them officially as team reps!

This week’s design meeting agenda for January, 25

This week’s #design meeting is happening Thursday, January 25 18:00 UTC.

This weeks agenda is:

Feel free to leave a comment and we can discuss anything people want.

See you in the #design channel in Slack

#meeting-agenda

This week’s design meeting agenda for January, 18

This week’s #design meeting is happening Thursday, January 18 18:00 UTC.

This weeks agenda is:

Feel free to leave a comment and we can discuss anything people want.

See you in the #design channel in Slack

#meeting-agenda

Weekly Design Updates

This is the weekly call for updates for those contributing to design, as outlined here.

The idea of these it to keep all designers connected. If you are contributing to design please add your reply as a comment to this post by Thursday 23:00 UTC. All comments will be combined into a weekly update post on Friday for the design team.

Not a designer but you have something you’d like us to work on? No problem, you can also leave a comment. Just tell us what it is, if a specific team or skill also tell us that.

Just reply to the following:

  • What did you work on this past week? Anything completed (don’t forget a link to show us the amazing work!)?
  • What are you currently focusing on?
  • Anything you need help with? Got a tricky project? Are you looking for a task? Perhaps you know about a task that needs a designer or need a buddy to work on something (let’s support each other)?
  • Any links for inspiration you want to share (doesn’t have to be WordPress design links)?

Weekly Design Updates

This is the weekly call for updates for those contributing to design, as outlined here.

The idea of these it to keep all designers connected. If you are contributing to design please add your reply as a comment to this post by Thursday 23:00 UTC. All comments will be combined into a weekly update post on Friday for the design team.

Not a designer but you have something you’d like us to work on? No problem, you can also leave a comment. Just tell us what it is, if a specific team or skill also tell us that.

Just reply to the following:

  • What did you work on this past week? Anything completed (don’t forget a link to show us the amazing work!)?
  • What are you currently focusing on?
  • Anything you need help with? Got a tricky project? Are you looking for a task? Perhaps you know about a task that needs a designer or need a buddy to work on something (let’s support each other)?
  • Any links for inspiration you want to share (doesn’t have to be WordPress design links)?