Please help us improve the WordPress editor!
Install the Gutenberg plugin to start testing. You can find more information about Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ in Introducing a new way to WordPress.
The test below is set up to do the most common tasks for a content manager (who is not a developer). Like add and modify text, headings, images, lists, tables and embeds.
If you participate, please add the following information in your report:
- Date: the date you tested
- Gutenberg: the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party version you tested (try to always test the latest version)
- Browser: the browser(s) you used
- OS: your operating system
- Test done with: list the assistive technology Assistive technology is an umbrella term that includes assistive, adaptive, and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities and also includes the process used in selecting, locating, and using them. Assistive technology promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing, by providing enhancements to, or changing methods of interacting with, the technology needed to accomplish such tasks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_technology you used, including version numbers
Note: if you keyboard test on a Mac, read this first: Keyboard Navigation in Mac Browsers.
For screen readers:
- Test VoiceOver only with Safari
- We don’t include results with ChromeVox
We highly appreciate testing with Dragon, JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver and Narrator
Before reporting any results, please search the existing issues at GitHub to see if this issue has already been reported. If you find the same issue already listed, add a comment to the issue confirming that the issue is still present.
Documenting issues by writing a post at your own blog, by recording a video of your experience, or by posting directly to GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ are all appreciated.
You don’t have to solve the issues or provide code. If you can just report the issues you find or any questions you have.
If you have questions about any of the tests, please ask them on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @wpaccessibility on Twitter.
Basic tests: Add and Edit a Post
First: add a new post, using the Gutenberg editor.
Set up some content
- enter a title
- add a paragraph with some texts
- add an H3 heading with the text “this is a heading”
- add an image
- add a list of 5 items (cats, dogs, fish, birds, spiders)
- add a table with 2 columns, 2 rows and add some data in the cells
- add the YouTube embed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs
Actions at the top:
- preview the post
- publish the post
- switch to draft
- hide and display the settings (the wheel)
- Open “Options” (3 dots icon) and switch from visual code editor to code editor and back again
Modify the paragraph
- make a link to https://wordpress.org on one of the words
- align the text to the right when you focus the paragraph
- with the settings on the top, select Fix toolbar to Top: is this usable for you when you change the content of a paragraph?
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. options
Modify the paragraph with the Block options (you can see the blocks by selecting the settings wheel at the top).
- switch on/off the drop cap
- change font size and reset it
- change background colour red
- change text colour light grey
- clear text and background colour
- align the block to the left
- add an additional CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. class wp-caption
Modify a heading
- change the H3 heading into an H2
- make a part of the heading italic
- remove the heading
Modify an image
- add a link to the image
- add a caption below the image
- align image to the right
- change the size of the image using the Block options
Modify the list
- add an item to the list
- delete an item from the list
Modify the table
- add a row
- add a column
- delete a row
- delete a column
Manipulate the blocks
- move the image above the H2 heading
- turn the list into a paragraph
- delete a block
Good luck and thanks!